Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:09 am

I think the Doc has a point from a logical point of view. But, history has showed us that there is footage we have never heard of. We don´t know if that salt mine contained all the outtakes from TTWII and EOT and we don´t know if all the existing outtakes have been found. There is basically no information on what Turnes has. The footage of the EOT-crew gives us a hint regarding what was shot for EOT, but there is no detailed record. Nobody has been given that access.

I would love to hear what Schmidlin knows.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:18 am

Appearantly not even Schmidlin knew everything, in an interview with ETM&HM he said that only 1 song (That's Allright) was filmed during opening night. We all know better.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:24 am

samses wrote:I think the Doc has a point from a logical point of view. But, history has showed us that there is footage we have never heard of. We don´t know if that salt mine contained all the outtakes from TTWII and EOT and we don´t know if all the existing outtakes have been found. There is basically no information on what Turnes has. The footage of the EOT-crew gives us a hint regarding what was shot for EOT, but there is no detailed record. Nobody has been given that access.

I would love to hear what Schmidlin knows.


Thanks.

No one here would like more than to see the 1970 (and 1972) footage captured by MGM restored, organized and released. But we've seen over four decades come and go, and thousands of original fans pass away, and screen shots from unprofessional Super 8 film trumpeted by a bag o' wind just aren't enough to convince me there is something in the vault.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:30 am

You´re right. We just don´t know. What we know is that there is a lot of unseen footage of the greatest artist in the world and that it is considered non-profitable. It is strange to me.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BigBird wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These screen shots are all very nice, but they do not actually tells us anything we don't already know.

- MGM had cameras at the 9-09-1970 Phoenix performance
- Director Denis Sanders used audience reaction shots in his 1970 documentary
- Fans reported seeing MGM cameras pointed at the stage

It seems unlikely Sanders would have instructed his men to film Elvis without proper lighting (such lighting was used when filming crowd shots), and because he had captured many usable hours of stage footage just four weeks earlier. Just because a camera is pointed at the stage does not mean it was filming. In the end, after nearly 43 years, one might imagine any such footage of Presley would have surfaced by now.


Yeah, here speaks the footage expert! ha ha ha!

That phoenix Elvis show was filmed, maybe not complete, but as you can see on the super 8 screen shot there was enough light to succesfully film elvis and that even on super 8!!! I do own that footage and it is very good!

Now, if you would have any clue about filming, you would know that a super 8 camera lense lets a lot less light through than a 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera lense!

That simple fact seams to escape you, because if you knew that, you would also know that if a amateur super 8 camera can pick up enough light to produce such good footage a professional 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera would pick up more than enough light to produce great footage. Just look as Jonas Mekas 16 mm footage from New York, no extra supter trooper spotlight, yet EOT quality footage!


You are very rude for a 28 day-old member. But I will reply once more, with grace.

Logic would indicate that director Denis Sanders would have used this "great" footage in some fashion back in 1970. He did not. Logic would indicate that the producers of 1981's "This Is Elvis," Malcolm Leo and Andrew Solt might have used this "great" footage in some fashion. They did not. Logic would indicate that Steve Chamberlain and Jack Petrik, executive producers of 1992's "The Lost Performances" would have used the "great" footage in some fashion. But they didn't. Logic would indicate that Rick Schmidlin, producer of "That's The Way It Is: Special Edition" in 2000 might have found a place for even a bit of this "great" footage. He did not.

Food for thought.

In addition, the June 1972 Jonas Mekas filming cannot by any stretch of the imagination be considered "EOT quality footage."


My age is not counted on how long I am a member around here, nor are my rights around here lesser than any other member!

... therefore ... where the sun does not shine!

Doc. you do not have any grace in my eyes, that very fact shows in your need to even stooping that low to mention how long I am a member around here!

I have been reading your posts (for a long time) and they always disgust me, therefore I try not to read them anymore, but since you post around a field in which I am much more knowledgable than you, i've got to to straighten you out.

Now, since you bring up "Logic" a lot, which is travesty at best and insane at worst in your case, I suggest you apply that logic!

The November 18th, 1972 show in Hawaii was, as a whole, or at least in part professional video taped, logic would indicate that it would have been released in TIE & Co. and to name another one, the Hawaii 1957 footage which is still not officially released collected dust for 56!!! years and despite its great quality and its historical value it was not released at all until now, only segments were shown in a memphis exibit, which is not logical either, ... which means, accoring to you, it cannot exist! But we all do know it actually does!
There are many more examples like that!

So we now learned that Logic does not really apply when it comes to Elvis Presley releases, we must conclude that this actually speaks volumes FOR the existence of professional Phoenix 1970 footage than against it!

About the Mekas footage, I do not know what you have seen from the Jonas Mekas footage, but it actually IS EOT quality, but if you do refer to the youtube clip, well, do I really have to explain that youtube is somewhat compressed?

... go figure!
Last edited by BigBird on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:02 am

Simon1 wrote:Appearantly not even Schmidlin knew everything, in an interview with ETM&HM he said that only 1 song (That's Allright) was filmed during opening night. We all know better.


Exactly, you are correct!

... but as soo as you express an opinion like that, you have goose stepping party liners on your back to remind you to toe the party line, opinions become insults and facts dont matter, personal sets of pseudo logic will be implied, so happend on this tread. The poster "doc" thinks that I am rude for a 28 old bla bla bla, so he must think he has more rights due to his longer membership bla bla bla whatever, which can only be true if he has a speical set of houserules he goes by, which than would by hypocracy.

But it does not matter, as long as there are guys like you simon, there is still hope,therfore thank you.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:08 am

samses wrote:You´re right. We just don´t know. What we know is that there is a lot of unseen footage of the greatest artist in the world and that it is considered non-profitable. It is strange to me.


I have been told by a very credible source that as far as Elvis footage, there is indeed a great deal unseen by most fans. But this doesn't mean we should expect anything now or in the future. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and just review what fans have gotten since, say 1984, in regards to professional footage released commercially, and you tell me if expectations should be set high or not.

1956 Tupelo newsreel
1956 Ed Sullivan Show
1957 Ed Sullivan Show
1968 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)
1970 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances," "TTWII SE")
1972 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances")
1973 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)

That's about thirty years. Excited yet? Maybe by 2044, the list will be doubled!

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
samses wrote:You´re right. We just don´t know. What we know is that there is a lot of unseen footage of the greatest artist in the world and that it is considered non-profitable. It is strange to me.


I have been told by a very credible source that as far as Elvis footage, there is indeed a great deal unseen by most fans. But this doesn't mean we should expect anything now or in the future. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and just review what fans have gotten since, say 1984, in regards to professional footage released commercially, and you tell me if expectations should be set high or not.

1956 Tupelo newsreel
1956 Ed Sullivan Show
1957 Ed Sullivan Show
1968 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)
1970 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances," "TTWII SE")
1972 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances")
1973 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)

That's about thirty years. Excited yet? Maybe by 2044, the list will be doubled!


It was not about expectations, it was about whether or not any elvis footage from Phonex 1970 exists, the answer is YES, it does exists, we have iron clad proof of that and as many other case clearly show, logic does not really apply when it comes to Elvis releases, since there are many things in existence which should be released long time ago and probably wont be ever released.

However, I do not think that the Phoenix 1970 footage will ever be released, but I know it does exist which was the actual point!

PS. why dont you hurry home and tell mom about the evil 28 day old member who gave you a spanking, maybe mom will bann me as a result of that, than you can continue with your endless and mindless monologues without any backlip from anybody, only praise and worship from your asylum fan club!

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:28 am

BigBird wrote:It was not about expectations, it was about whether or not any elvis footage from Phonex 1970 exists, the answer is YES, it does exists, we have iron clad proof ... I know it does exist which was the actual point!


That wasn't quite the point, and there has been no actual "iron clad proof" seen on this topic, but thanks.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:30 am

BigBird wrote:However, I do not think that the Phoenix 1970 footage will ever be released, but I know it does exist which was the actual point!


If the footage exists like you say it does then you would be able to provide a screenshot of the actual footage they filmed. We see there were cameras present, we've seen the footage of the audience at the Phoenix show.... yet not one single frame of Elvis performing at that show. your prediction that the footage will never be released is quite convenient.... you are 100 percent positive something exists with out a way to definitively prove it.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:23 am

BigBird wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
samses wrote:You´re right. We just don´t know. What we know is that there is a lot of unseen footage of the greatest artist in the world and that it is considered non-profitable. It is strange to me.


I have been told by a very credible source that as far as Elvis footage, there is indeed a great deal unseen by most fans. But this doesn't mean we should expect anything now or in the future. The proof is in the pudding, as they say, and just review what fans have gotten since, say 1984, in regards to professional footage released commercially, and you tell me if expectations should be set high or not.

1956 Tupelo newsreel
1956 Ed Sullivan Show
1957 Ed Sullivan Show
1968 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)
1970 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances," "TTWII SE")
1972 documentary + outtakes ("This Is Elvis," "The Lost Performances")
1973 TV Special + outtakes (DVD deluxe set)

That's about thirty years. Excited yet? Maybe by 2044, the list will be doubled!


It was not about expectations, it was about whether or not any elvis footage from Phonex 1970 exists, the answer is YES, it does exists, we have iron clad proof of that and as many other case clearly show, logic does not really apply when it comes to Elvis releases, since there are many things in existence which should be released long time ago and probably wont be ever released.

However, I do not think that the Phoenix 1970 footage will ever be released, but I know it does exist which was the actual point!

PS. why dont you hurry home and tell mom about the evil 28 day old member who gave you a spanking, maybe mom will bann me as a result of that, than you can continue with your endless and mindless monologues without any backlip from anybody, only praise and worship from your asylum fan club!


I understand what you are saying but why end your post making such nasty comments like a school boy? We are here for Elvis Aaron Presley, that's it!

I don't know whats unreleased but like Dr. John Carpenter has said, theres certainly a whole lot that is still not seen by fans. The question of if they will ever release it? Well, that remains to be seen.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:01 pm

There should be an Ernst Jorgensen at Turner. Someone who cared for the Elvis legacy. Then, we would have releases.