More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Concerts captured on film

Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:43 pm

BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
ep2 wrote:Could we only see 1 screenshot........ :D

Yes, it would be very delightful to see.

Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Yes, could you upload it, please?

Okay, here it is:

This is a rather blurry screen shot, thats cause of the filmer only briefly and very fast filmed the audience and only a few frames actually show the camera + equipment.

That screen shot is taken while the Sweet Inspirations were peforming, ergo not really a proof, but at least half of a proof, right?

One can see 2 handheld cameras, one pointed at the audience, the other poited at the stage, in that moment filming the Sweet Inspirations.

The camera currently pointing at the audience just a moment ago also pointed at the stage, but one can only see it while watching the footage, it was too blurry to make a screen shot from.

And here is another screen shot, this is on the end of the super 8 reel, meaning it is after elvis's performance and it shows the camera crew removing their camera equipment.
That is another good indicator that Elvis was indeed filmed in Phoenix 1970 by MGM.

It looks like as if the camera is still filming the audience, but while watching the footage one can clearly see the guy with the camer is carrying it away.

Are these stills taken from a video? If so which one?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:02 pm

First In Line wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
ep2 wrote:Could we only see 1 screenshot........ :D

Yes, it would be very delightful to see.

Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Okay, here it is:

This is a rather blurry screen shot, thats cause of the filmer only briefly and very fast filmed the audience and only a few frames actually show the camera + equipment.

That screen shot is taken while the Sweet Inspirations were peforming, ergo not really a proof, but at least half of a proof, right?

One can see 2 handheld cameras, one pointed at the audience, the other poited at the stage, in that moment filming the Sweet Inspirations.

The camera currently pointing at the audience just a moment ago also pointed at the stage, but one can only see it while watching the footage, it was too blurry to make a screen shot from.

And here is another screen shot, this is on the end of the super 8 reel, meaning it is after elvis's performance and it shows the camera crew removing their camera equipment.
That is another good indicator that Elvis was indeed filmed in Phoenix 1970 by MGM.

It looks like as if the camera is still filming the audience, but while watching the footage one can clearly see the guy with the camer is carrying it away.

Are these stills taken from a video? If so which one?

Those screen shots are from one of my super 8 reels, it is not available on video, dvd, or Blueray anywhere but only in the hands of a few dedicated collectors.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 am

BigBird wrote:Those screen shots are from one of my super 8 reels, it is not available on video, dvd, or Blueray anywhere but only in the hands of a few dedicated collectors.

Sounds cool.
Does this include audio?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:57 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
carloselvis wrote:Amazing Proof Big bird!

This picture kept me awake for a lot of nights also!

Those reels shown in the photo are probably still gathering dust at a salt mine in Utah. :facep: :facep:

I would think they pay someone to come in and dust the tapes on a semi-regular basis.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:14 am

Robert wrote:
BigBird wrote:Those screen shots are from one of my super 8 reels, it is not available on video, dvd, or Blueray anywhere but only in the hands of a few dedicated collectors.

Sounds cool.
Does this include audio?

No but its been dubbed with audio

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:15 am

Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
mountaindog wrote:The footage from jonas mekas looks incredible good.

phpBB [video]

This 16mm MSG footage is still gathering dust.
Incredible.

I just sent Jonas an email, curious if he will respond.
If he does I'll let you know but he probably got the question many times....

Just got confirmation that the 16mm footage already released is all that was shot.
3 minutes or so.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:02 am

Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

Just got confirmation that the 16mm footage already released is all that was shot.
3 minutes or so.

if you are talking about the Garden footage that is incorrect.
Someone is not remembering something.
The footage released on Prince from another planet has been out for decades on bootleg, with another few minutes not included by Sony.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 am

Robert wrote:

Sounds cool.
Does this include audio?

The super 8 itself has no Audio Track, but there is a dubbed version of that phoenix footage, which was done not too long ago. Eventually I will have them (my super 8 reels) all dubbed.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:58 am

ekenee wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

3 minutes or so.

The footage released on Prince from another planet has been out for decades on bootleg, with another few minutes not included by Sony.

Thats right. the only difference was the quality of the bootleg footage, which was pretty bad, so the footage they used on APFAP is indeed a winner.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Bigbird you seem to have an interesting collection. Is there a way for us fans to one day see some of it? Is there a way I could pay a x amount of money to get a decent digital transfer?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:44 pm

It is easy to complain about how much was filmed but it was a different time. and compared to a other acts at that time Elvis was filmed a lot.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:08 pm

Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

3 minutes or so.

Thats sh*t!! Really!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:11 pm

mountaindog wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

3 minutes or so.

Thats sh*t!! Really!

Yea but theres a lot filmed by other people its just not come out

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:15 pm

ekenee wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

3 minutes or so.

I'm talking about the 16MM Jonas Mekas footage not the 8mm PFAP footage.

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19 pm

Robert wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:
Robert wrote:

phpBB [video]

Incredible.

3 minutes or so.

I'm talking about the 16MM Jonas Mekas footage not the 8mm PFAP footage.

Yes, the Jonas Mekas film is what he filmed that day and thats it! The super imposed arty-farty stuff was done "live". The "collage" was done while filming, he rewinded certain parts of the exposed film to again expose it, thats some typically wanna be an artist type of cr*p.
Jonas mekas was and is not the least bit interested in Elvis, let along documenting parts of his shows, the only reason for Mekas to do that piece is to rubb off of Elvis' fame a bit if you will.
I am not impressed at all at his work, check out his homepage, its not all that good.

However, it is possible to clean those super-imposed stuff out, but it is difficult and would take a long time. In matter of fact one can take the left elvis out and keep the right elvis and then use the same footage again and do the opposite, it of course wont work once both elvis are on top of eachother, but that is only twice the case in that footage, so I would say one could extract 3 clean minutes of that footage!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:39 pm

Jonas Mekas is well known for his avant-garde cinema, so it is likely that most of the effects and techniques we see in the noted "Mozart, Wien & Elvis" film short [below] were done post-production. A re-imagining of the event, if you will.

phpBB [video]

"Mozart, Wien & Elvis" (Jonas Mekas film short)

For more on Mekas: here are some enlightening passages from an interview he did with Swiss curator and art critic Hans-Ulrich Obrist:

How far removed can your films become from reality during the extraction process?
Say my films are like wine, or bread. It’s all real. But during the process of winemaking or breadmaking, the original materials get transformed into something else. So I extract little fragments of reality and I make something different out of them.

What role does re-use play in your role as filmmaker?
I am more into using the filmed material in new ways. I am very interested in what happens when I break up a film into four parts and present it on four monitors. It’s no longer a linear kind of memoir, there is a totally different energy that comes in. That content is transformed into a different and more contemporary event. I know that some of my fellow filmmakers look at this as almost sacrilegious. They say that film is film and that you should leave it alone. But I think that both are legit. I am very immersed in the possibilities of this way of re-using my films.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AMRoLl-G2g

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:00 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Jonas Mekas is well known for his avant-garde cinema, so it is likely that most of the effects and techniques we see in the noted "Mozart, Wien & Elvis" film short [below] were done post-production. A re-imagining of the event, if you will.

phpBB [video]

"Mozart, Wien & Elvis" (Jonas Mekas film short)

For more on Mekas: here are some enlightening passages from an interview he did with Swiss curator and art critic Hans-Ulrich Obrist:

How far removed can your films become from reality during the extraction process?
Say my films are like wine, or bread. It’s all real. But during the process of winemaking or breadmaking, the original materials get transformed into something else. So I extract little fragments of reality and I make something different out of them.

What role does re-use play in your role as filmmaker?
I am more into using the filmed material in new ways. I am very interested in what happens when I break up a film into four parts and present it on four monitors. It’s no longer a linear kind of memoir, there is a totally different energy that comes in. That content is transformed into a different and more contemporary event. I know that some of my fellow filmmakers look at this as almost sacrilegious. They say that film is film and that you should leave it alone. But I think that both are legit. I am very immersed in the possibilities of this way of re-using my films.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... AMRoLl-G2g

No post production, the footage is as it is, periode!

Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:19 pm

BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Okay, here it is:

qem5.jpg

11np.jpg

Thank you, BigBird. Where is this Phoenix footage available in the best quality? I don't have it.

It is actually not really available, only a few collectors have it, most of them in very poor quality. It used to be on some old VHS tapes, but the quality on those is super bad.

However, I almost forgot the most important screen shot, it shows a third camera, this time not a hand held as the other 2.
However, even though the camera is in the dark, one can clearly see the camera man + the 35mm camera (judging by its size) filming Elvis while he is performing in Phoenix 1970.

qx5l.jpg

These screen shots are all very nice, but they do not actually tells us anything we don't already know.

- MGM had cameras at the 9-09-1970 Phoenix performance
- Director Denis Sanders used audience reaction shots in his 1970 documentary
- Fans reported seeing MGM cameras pointed at the stage

It seems unlikely Sanders would have instructed his men to film Elvis without proper lighting (such lighting was used when filming crowd shots), and because he had captured many usable hours of stage footage just four weeks earlier. Just because a camera is pointed at the stage does not mean it was filming. In the end, after nearly 43 years, one might imagine any such footage of Presley would have surfaced by now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:11 am

BigBird wrote:No post production, the footage is as it is, periode!

As much as it pains to disagree with an 8 foot yellow bird, you are mistaken.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:Assuming you are talking to me, what screen shot do you want to see? MGM cameras pointing at the stage in Phoenix, September 1970?

Okay, here it is:

qem5.jpg

11np.jpg

Thank you, BigBird. Where is this Phoenix footage available in the best quality? I don't have it.

It is actually not really available, only a few collectors have it, most of them in very poor quality. It used to be on some old VHS tapes, but the quality on those is super bad.

However, I almost forgot the most important screen shot, it shows a third camera, this time not a hand held as the other 2.
However, even though the camera is in the dark, one can clearly see the camera man + the 35mm camera (judging by its size) filming Elvis while he is performing in Phoenix 1970.

qx5l.jpg

These screen shots are all very nice, but they do not actually tells us anything we don't already know.

It seems unlikely Sanders would have instructed his men to film Elvis without proper lighting (such lighting was used when filming crowd shots), and because he had captured many usable hours of stage footage just four weeks earlier. Just because a camera is pointed at the stage does not mean it was filming. In the end, after nearly 43 years, one might imagine any such footage of Presley would have surfaced by now.

Yeah, here speaks the footage expert! ha ha ha!

That phoenix Elvis show was filmed, maybe not complete, but as you can see on the super 8 screen shot there was enough light to succesfully film elvis and that even on super 8!!! I do own that footage and it is very good!

Now, if you would have any clue about filming, you would know that a super 8 camera lense lets a lot less light through than a 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera lense!

That simple fact seams to escape you, because if you knew that, you would also know that if a amateur super 8 camera can pick up enough light to produce such good footage a professional 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera would pick up more than enough light to produce great footage. Just look as Jonas Mekas 16 mm footage from New York, no extra supter trooper spotlight, yet EOT quality footage!
Last edited by BigBird on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:15 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
BigBird wrote:No post production, the footage is as it is, periode!

As much as it pains to disagree with an 8 foot yellow bird, you are mistaken.

I am an old school photographer, not an amateur, I actually studied that profession and I do know my way around photography and also filming and I mean filming, not video taping!

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 am

BigBird wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:
BigBird wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Okay, here it is:

qem5.jpg

11np.jpg

qx5l.jpg

That phoenix Elvis show was filmed, maybe not complete, but as you can see on the super 8 screen shot there was enough light to succesfully film elvis and that even on super 8!!! I do own that footage and it is very good!

Now, if you would have any clue about filming, you would know that a super 8 camera lense lets a lot less light through than a 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera lense!

That simple fact seams to escape you, because if you knew that, you would also know that if a amateur super 8 camera can pick up enough light to produce such good footage a professional 16 mm, or a 35 mm camera would pick up more than enough light to produce great footage. Just look as Jonas Mekas 16 mm footage from New York, no extra supter trooper spotlight, yet EOT quality footage!

Agree that 35mm cameras must have been able to film EP properly close by.
Thing is though, no shred of film ever emerged so the chance of us seeing this is around 0%

Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:52 am

[/quote]

It seems unlikely Sanders would have instructed his men to film Elvis without proper lighting (such lighting was used when filming crowd shots), and because he had captured many usable hours of stage footage just four weeks earlier. Just because a camera is pointed at the stage does not mean it was filming. In the end, after nearly 43 years, one might imagine any such footage of Presley would have surfaced by now.[/quote]

Such lighting would need to be used when filming crowd shots, why in hell point a camera at Elvis and not film a Damn thing :facep: lots of pro film of Elvis has not surfaced

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:06 am

I would not be that surprised if there is footage of Elvis from Phoenix. Over the years there has surfaced stuff we had never heard of before. One example is the filmed interview from the EOT rehearsals. It was completely unheard of when it came out. Noeone has gained the same access to the records regarding what Turne has in their vaults that Jorgensen did with Elvis´recording history at RCA. There is A LOT of unseen footage from TTWII and EOT and we don´t know what they have. I find it hard to believe that they did not shoot Elvis in Phoenix, but that is an assumption not a fact.

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:00 am

BigBird wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:These screen shots are all very nice, but they do not actually tells us anything we don't already know.

You are very rude for a 28 day-old member. But I will reply once more, with grace.

Logic would indicate that director Denis Sanders would have used this "great" footage in some fashion back in 1970. He did not. Logic would indicate that the producers of 1981's "This Is Elvis," Malcolm Leo and Andrew Solt might have used this "great" footage in some fashion. They did not. Logic would indicate that Steve Chamberlain and Jack Petrik, executive producers of 1992's "The Lost Performances" would have used the "great" footage in some fashion. But they didn't. Logic would indicate that Rick Schmidlin, producer of "That's The Way It Is: Special Edition" in 2000 might have found a place for even a bit of this "great" footage. He did not.

Food for thought.

In addition, the June 1972 Jonas Mekas filming cannot by any stretch of the imagination be considered "EOT quality footage."