Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Concerts captured on film

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:34 pm

Its easy to make a list afterwards, but still it amaze me, a big loss such few pro-shot concerts has been filmed. In my opinion this at least should have.

July 31, 1969 / Las Vegas
February 27, 1970 - March 1, 1970 / Houston
June 10 - 11, 1972 / New York
March 20, 1974 / Memphis
December 31, 1975 / Pontiac
November 28 - 29, 1976 / San Francisco
December 31, 1976 / Pittsburgh

Elvis'' management team could have used the in-house equipment wich was already stored in the venue (some of them) itself, being on the road through the US.

The reasons given, it cost too much, or what sense filming MSQ while 2 months earlier a documentary was shot, doesnt concvince me for not filming more concerts. Just for legacy alone, it was reason to do this. The management, didn't they realize what they were dealing with? Parker? Him, i don't take too seriously.

Re: Concerts captured on film

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't know if it cost too much. I don't think so.

Good expample. Barry Manilow Management few months ago started manilow.tv project, where you can watch new show every month (video streaming).
Some of them are pro filmed, some filmed with only one camera. And they say they got most of his shows since 1974.....
He used to record them just for himslef to see how it looks like from the audience ect.

So if he could do it Elvis could do it 10 times better.

Just my opinion.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:11 pm

This subject makes me sick

What i would like to say is i think EPE know of some pro shot shows they are not giving away or don't want fans to know they have

I can only hope they do what they can to buy the rights to these films as there is not much of our man live on stage

Like the Tassie Devil a very rare find

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:17 pm

OnTourCam wrote:This subject makes me sick

What i would like to say is i think EPE know of some pro shot shows they are not giving away or don't want fans to know they have

I can only hope they do what they can to buy the rights to these films as there is not much of our man live on stage

Like the Tassie Devil a very rare find

eventualy I think everything will be released at some point. It might take years, but I think when everything else will be re-issued one to many times they will release what is left out there.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:29 am

3577 wrote:Its easy to make a list afterwards, but still it amaze me, a big loss such few pro-shot concerts has been filmed.

This one . . . . (Saturday, March 25th, 1961 / Bloch Arena, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii).

BootsRandolph[1].jpg

Definitely should have been filmed (and in glorious color, too).

N8
... just an EP & Hawaii fan ....

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:34 am

I would agree with that one, and Vegas '69 as it was his brand new stage act.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 am

3577 wrote:Its easy to make a list afterwards, but still it amaze me, a big loss such few pro-shot concerts has been filmed. In my opinion this at least should have.

March 20, 1974 / Memphis

Not so sure there were many benefits, at the time, for 1975-76 pro-shot footage.

There are apparently quite a few professional films made than issued. Someday fans may see more from the first 6 years of Elvis' return to the live format.

As for a "wish" list, these are far more worthwhile, musically and historically:

March 19, 1955 / Houston
October 15, 1955 / Odessa
October 11, 1956 / Dallas
December 15, 1956 / Shreveport
April 2, 1957 / Toronto
October 28-29, 1957 / Los Angeles
February 25, 1961 / Memphis
March 25, 1961 / Honolulu

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:58 am

Here we go again....

3577 wrote:Elvis'' management team could have used the in-house equipment wich was already stored in the venue (some of them) itself, being on the road through the US.

There are various reasons why this would have been prohibitive in Elvis' world. As you point out, not all venues had in-house systems. And the venues that did would have charged a fee for usage. If one thing is for certain, Tom Parker didn't want to incur extra fees for himself and his artist, particularly for footage that had no commercial purpose. Parker never would have paid the fees, nor paid the costs of supporting his own filming operation, regardless of whether it was overly costly or not. Many acts followed this same philosophy. Face it, most artists and their representatives enjoyed earning money - not pumping it into filming exercises to line up the archives with private footage.

3577 wrote:The reasons given, it cost too much, or what sense filming MSQ while 2 months earlier a documentary was shot, doesnt concvince me for not filming more concerts.

It should convince you because that is a primary reason why it did not happen. If the EOT filmmakers and studio believed additional filming was necessary, additional funds could have possibly been added to the budget. Why would Parker and Elvis spend their own money filming in the Garden? Most acts had others finance filming (like MGM). Most acts wanted to secure the most net dollar figures they could from their touring operations.

If only Gene Simmons could have been part of the touring operation....

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:27 am

3577 wrote:Its easy to make a list afterwards, but still it amaze me, a big loss such few pro-shot concerts has been filmed. In my opinion this at least should have.

March 20, 1974 / Memphis

Elvis'' management team could have used the in-house equipment wich was already stored in the venue (some of them) itself, being on the road through the US.

The reasons given, it cost too much, or what sense filming MSQ while 2 months earlier a documentary was shot, doesnt concvince me for not filming more concerts. Just for legacy alone, it was reason to do this. The management, didn't they realize what they were dealing with? Parker? Him, i don't take too seriously.

8) "Elvis'' management team could have used the in-house equipment wich was already stored in the venue (some of them) itself, being on the road through the US." This is the way the venue owner showed that concert in 1974! I already mentioned that in-house recording could be done,and this just reinforces that!! 8)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

March 20, 1974 / Memphis

Not so sure there were many benefits, at the time, for 1975-76 pro-shot footage.

There are apparently quite a few professional films made than issued. Someday fans may see more from the first 6 years of Elvis' return to the live format.

As for a "wish" list, these are far more worthwhile, musically and historically:

March 19, 1955 / Houston
April 2, 1957 / Toronto

8) What about Ottawa and Vancouver in 1957! I saw professional footage(brief)from Empire Stadium in Vancouver a little over a month ago on one of our main sports stations here in British,Columbia,Canada,and the station TSN,did a special segment during the sportscast previewing the CFL football season,by showing old clips of famous events that occurred at Empire Stadium,which include,The Miracle Mile,Elvis Presley,The Beatles and great B.C. Lions hi-lites(of course!),and point out that Empire Stadium was the very first stadium to have tartan turf in Canada in 1970! 8)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:51 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Not so sure there were many benefits, at the time, for 1975-76 pro-shot footage.

March 19, 1955 / Houston
April 2, 1957 / Toronto

What about Ottawa and Vancouver in 1957!

Elvis did not wear the entire gold lamé suit at those shows -- he did in Toronto (AS).

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:15 am

8) My Aunt went to the Vancouver concert and my Step Dad saw Elvis get off of the train just outside of town as to avoid a mob scene! 8) Have you ever seen the Vancouver footage? 8)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:25 am

Of course it would be grand if more concert footage was available, but his 1968-1977 period was covered a lot. Two live documentaries Elvis TTWII, Elvis On Tour, 3 TV specials, (The Aloha Rehearsal as a bonus).
For any major artist that is a lot. Never mind what era we're talking about.

We have to be realistic, it's not if he wasn't filmed at all....

Cheers,
Simon

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:27 am

Simon1 wrote:We have to be realistic, it's not if he wasn't filmed at all....

Conversely, it is, if he was ...

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:31 am

You got me there :)
It's not LIKE he wasn't filmed at all,
Thanks for the correction :)

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:35 am

Has anyone ever seen footage of Elvis at Empire Stadium?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:36 am

Simon1 wrote:You got me there :)

Again, there is a lot more unseen PRO footage out there. Someday...

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Simon1 wrote:You got me there :)

Again, there is a lot more unseen PRO footage out there. Someday...

Absolutely, our only hope is that someday EPE will finally make that 'Anthology'. And new footage keeps appearing each and every year, so we can't really complain. But knowing that there's still so much lying around...

We can only hope.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:44 am

This subject always makes me so frustrated, because of the relatively few live concerts that were filmed just for posterity.

The cost element is not an issue,. but rather a poor PR excuse for not doing it.

Some fans will say, why film him if not for a project of some sort.

Ok, then, but I just got done viewing the Beatles anthology set.

What amazed me, was that so many different shows were filmed with sound, pro-quality and what for?

That stuff never was used for any kind of the project at the time. It's was only used for VHS or later DVD projects.

But in the short amount of time the Beatles toured, they sure captured alot fo great stuff.

This should have been the case with Elvis.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:37 am

ekenee wrote: What amazed me, was that so many different shows were filmed with sound, pro-quality and what for?

That stuff never was used for any kind of the project at the time. It's was only used for VHS or later DVD projects.

Actually, nearly all of that Beatles concert footage was filmed and used for projects at the time, mostly for television broadcast.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
ekenee wrote: What amazed me, was that so many different shows were filmed with sound, pro-quality and what for?

Actually, nearly all of that Beatles concert footage was filmed and used for projects at the time, mostly for television broadcast.

You mean Brian Epstein and later Allen Klein didn't film The Beatles solely for archival purposes?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:07 am

OnTourCam wrote:What i would like to say is i think EPE know of some pro shot shows they are not giving away or don't want fans to know they have

What benefit would come out of this? Why would EPE know of proshot footage and purposely withold it from fans? Plus, how could there have been additional pro-shot footage allowed to be taken yet no paper trail left behind or noted in any newspaper, magazine or book about the filming? A group of 10 guys just don't walk into an arena with cameras and tripods and start shooting. Contracts need to be signed, waivers need to be granted and copyrights needs to be settled. And all this costs money. So even if there was a remote chance that a group of filmmakers actually did film a '75 concert and spent all that money to do it---why in the world would they not say a word about it---and simply just put it on a shelf only for EPE to "hide" it from the fans as you say?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

midnightx wrote:Here we go again....

3577 wrote:Elvis'' management team could have used the in-house equipment wich was already stored in the venue (some of them) itself, being on the road through the US.

There are various reasons why this would have been prohibitive in Elvis' world. As you point out, not all venues had in-house systems. And the venues that did would have charged a fee for usage. If one thing is for certain, Tom Parker didn't want to incur extra fees for himself and his artist, particularly for footage that had no commercial purpose. Parker never would have paid the fees, nor paid the costs of supporting his own filming operation, regardless of whether it was overly costly or not. Many acts followed this same philosophy. Face it, most artists and their representatives enjoyed earning money - not pumping it into filming exercises to line up the archives with private footage.

3577 wrote:The reasons given, it cost too much, or what sense filming MSQ while 2 months earlier a documentary was shot, doesnt concvince me for not filming more concerts.

It should convince you because that is a primary reason why it did not happen. If the EOT filmmakers and studio believed additional filming was necessary, additional funds could have possibly been added to the budget. Why would Parker and Elvis spend their own money filming in the Garden? Most acts had others finance filming (like MGM). Most acts wanted to secure the most net dollar figures they could from their touring operations.

And that's the big flaw, on behalf of Parker. It sould have been done more often for legacy.

MSQ. Most artists or bands filmed their concerts there. The famous building.

Simon1 wrote:Of course it would be grand if more concert footage was available, but his 1968-1977 period was covered a lot. Two live documentaries Elvis TTWII, Elvis On Tour, 3 TV specials, (The Aloha Rehearsal as a bonus).
For any major artist that is a lot. Never mind what era we're talking about.

We have to be realistic, it's not if he wasn't filmed at all....

Cheers,
Simon

A lot? What has been commercially released or available between January 1973 and June 1977? Remember the people in our country, they were shocked to see how this handsome man from Hawaii 1973 turned into a very sick man from June 1977. 4,5 years is quite a long time. All im saying, concerts should have filmed more, not just for special occasions.

midnightx wrote:Here we go again....

If it was for you, we be only talking about your favourite years, 1968 and 1969.
midnightx wrote:

You can joke about that, but at least, KISS is be able to offer their fans DVD box-sets (volume 4 is in the making) with concerts, and all other kinds of footage. We fans are just unfortunate that Elvis had a manager for feeding his gambling habits.

drjohncarpenter wrote:As for a "wish" list, these are far more worthwhile, musically and historically:

March 19, 1955 / Houston
April 2, 1957 / Toronto

Historically, yes. Musically? That's your opinion. In the end, everything is essential. Really, there is more than just the 50's. Focus on other era's, it fearures great music too.

Enjoy!

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:07 pm

Most artists and bands filmed their concerts at MSG? That's funny.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:31 pm

3577 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:As for a "wish" list, these are far more worthwhile, musically and historically:

March 19, 1955 / Houston
April 2, 1957 / Toronto

Historically, yes. Musically? That's your opinion.

Indeed, and it's clearly a brilliant, nuanced and deeply-informed opinion.

3577 wrote:Really, there is more than just the 50's. Focus on other era's [sic] ...

Strange how you miss the entries from 1961, "number.

3577 wrote:In the end, everything is essential.

Yes, when given a choice between Elvis tearing up the house with "Hound Dog" in 1956, or bellowing out a version of "My Boy" on stage in 1975, it's impossible to choose which is historically or musically superior.