Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: 'Johnny B Goode' official message Warner USA

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:42 am

Rob wrote:If they couldn't get "Johnny B. Goode," My personal choice would have been "Promised Land."

I'm still getting the damned DVD and apparently kissing someone's ass.

Where's Little Darlin?

Agree, Promised Land would be a good one, but who did sing that song once..? :D

Re: 'Johny B Goode' official message Warner USA

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 am

Renan wrote:
Does that mean Mr. Berry and his publisher are unreachable??

-->>He performs at Blueberry Hill every month in St Louis. But they could have also tried looking for Chuck in the ladies bathrooms in Wentzville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Berr ... present.29

In the late 1980s, Berry bought a restaurant in Wentzville, Missouri, called The Southern Air,[48] and in 1990 he was sued by several women who claimed that he had installed a video camera in the ladies' bathroom. Berry claimed that he had the camera installed to catch red-handed a worker who was suspected of stealing from the restaurant. Though his guilt was never proven in court, Berry opted for a class action settlement with 59 women. Berry's biographer, Bruce Pegg, estimated that it cost Berry over $1.2 million plus legal fees.[49] It was during this time that he began using Wayne T. Schoeneberg as his legal counsel. Reportedly, a police raid on his house did find videotapes of women using the restroom, and one of the women was a minor. Also found in the raid were 62 grams of marijuana. Felony drug and child-abuse charges were filed. In order to avoid the child-abuse charges, Berry agreed to plead guilty to misdemeanor possession of marijuana. He was given a six-month suspended jail sentence, two years' unsupervised probation, and ordered to donate $5,000 to a local hospital.[50]

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 am

artfromtex wrote:you know, i thought of that as being a really cool sub, but you'd have the same problem as Berry wrote both!

rickeap wrote:Rob there might have been a similar problem in securing rights to Promised Land, though I agree it would have been great

Ton Bruins wrote:Agree, Promised Land would be a good one, but who did sing that song once..? :D

A little tidbit that slipped my mind completely.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:14 am

The doc is right, I also don´t believe a word, the Warner guy is saying. Maybe Chuck wanted too much money, but probably it was his publisher. More possible Warner will release a blue-ray with JBG soon.
Since 1956 none - RCA, MGM, Warner etc, has ever released a perfect product with everything fans are longing for. Perfect items are from Fans always. That shows how less the big companies are interested in the legacy of the KING! :(
I agree that Chuck or/and his publisher would never ever have missed the chance to earn such easy mony, but MGM, RCA have a long history in greed... :twisted:
So let´s wait for the EOT Special Edition in 2072 - then i will be 104 - no problem... :lol:

O.S. ::rocks

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:03 am

Chuck Berry have always had a resentment against Elvis's success. It's been documented for a long time now. Some years ago, there was a film documentary with CB and there is scene where Keith Richard from the Stones is more and more pissed off with Chuck. It shows clearly how difficult it was to work with Chuck... Obviously, Keith came out of it angry and disapointed about his heroe. Chuck's attitude was very nasty to all the musicians who work with him on the stage. . This whole thing is very sad indeed. So, It's very plausible that Warner never got their calls back from CB or his publisher. I tend to believe Warner. Under the circumstances, theiy made the right decision.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:19 am

Yea I got this movie on DVD it was shot in 1986 for Chucks 60's birthday show.
Keith got pissed when they were rehearsing "Oh, Carol" cause Chuck wasn't satisfied with Keith style of playing the intro for the song. He stopped 3-4 times and keep showing him how he should play it (even thou most of CB songs start's with almost same riff :-) ).

Anyway, I'm not happy with "Don't Be Cruel" intro either, but to me it's not really a big issie.
I'm very very happy that I will get it on Blu Ray at last and can't wait to see it.
I don't relly care too much for first 87 seconds of it. All the rest is more important.

It's just a short intro to great movie that we all will surely enjoy in this new restored quality.
So don't get crazy about this 87 seconds, it's not worth it, we can't change it.
Let's have some fun with it, we've been waiting for it so long...

Have a great weekend, and get the movie on Tuesday (all you lucky man in US, I will have to wait 2 weeks until my parcel will arrive here in Poland).

All the best.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:26 am

As for the opening song "substitution"of "Don't Be Cruel" -- whoever made that decision is a complete and utter HACK.

Couldn't have said it all any better myself, Doc. Well done.

They can't blame Berry for the fact that they created for a great movie a new opening that totally sucks.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:36 am

Can somebody please confirm if " Promised Land" is in infact on the EOT Blu-Ray / DVD disc version, as it is played during the sequence of Elvis being driven to a venue ?
If that is in the film, can WB inform us as to who gave permission for that Berry song to be included ?

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:37 am

Tomek wrote:Keith got pissed when they were rehearsing "Oh, Carol" cause Chuck wasn't satisfied with Keith style of playing the intro for the song. He stopped 3-4 times and keep showing him how he should play it (even thou most of CB songs start's with almost same riff .

Well although it was nit-picky on Chuck's part to be a hard ass, he did have a legitimate reason for stopping Keith each time during "Oh, Carol" if they really wanted to play it right Keith was not doing the slur (bend) correctly because instead of starting upward and then bending down....he was starting low and bending upwards. Chuck was right to tell him it was wrong---but didn't need to make a big fuss. Keith actually had played it regularly on tour with the Stones in the 60's...he probably glazed over this part never noticing the difference.

phpBB [video]

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:38 am

PEP wrote:
Burning Love wrote:So let me get this right. Berry's people answered the phone when asked if they could include 'Promised Land' and 'Too Much Monkey Business' in 'This is Elvis', they answered the phone when they wanted permission to include 'Johnny B Goode' in 'Aloha', they answered the phone to put 'Johnny B Goode' in the 'Elvis Lives' video but they could not answer the phone, an e mail, a text, a tweet, a visit to their offices when Warner tried to get 'Johnny B' in Elvis On Tour?

So true and such B/S...like the Doc said...this is 2010 and Elvis is still being treated like sh*t...
Friggin' amazing :roll:
PEP 8)

It is sooo commonly known in the music scene: never try to contact the Chuck Berry office during holiday season... :D

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:42 am

jbgude wrote:Can somebody please confirm if " Promised Land" is in infact on the EOT Blu-Ray / DVD disc version, as it is played during the sequence of Elvis being driven to a venue ??

You are thinking about the montage as seen in "This Is Elvis." The original version of "Mystery Train" plays during a "traveling" montage in EOT.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:45 am

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... 98#p790098

I spoke to a Warner exec at my EOT screening and she reiterated practically word for word what was said here....
Last edited by Justin on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:13 am

IMETJB wrote:http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54647&p=790119#p790119

I spoke to a Warner exec at my EOT screening and she reiterated practically word for word what was said here....

PR damage control at work!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:00 pm

This should mean that if a UK version came out they should include JBG as publishing issues work differently there. They can use it with or without permission and Berry still gets paid but at the standard rate that applies to all publishers for rights in the EU.

That is why previous Sony CD releases have different added tracks sometimes on EU versions. Warner should do this. they can double their sales!! And since the disc is in blu-ray there is no more PAL and NTSC issue anymore.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:13 pm

memphisking wrote:This should mean that if a UK version came out they should include JBG as publishing issues work differently there. They can use it with or without permission and Berry still gets paid but at the standard rate that applies to all publishers for rights in the EU.

That is why previous Sony CD releases have different added tracks sometimes on EU versions. Warner should do this. they can double their sales!! And since the disc is in blu-ray there is no more PAL and NTSC issue anymore.

Brilliant idea, but who's going to tell them?
Anyway, I am happy for EOT to come out although it is an edited version. I can understand Warners difficulties - although I feel they did not do everything they could to solve the problem. Anyway, I am happily looking forward to the discs and if a future run should contain JBG than I will order this one as well.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:18 pm

jbgude wrote:Can somebody please confirm if " Promised Land" is in infact on the EOT Blu-Ray / DVD disc version, as it is played during the sequence of Elvis being driven to a venue ?
If that is in the film, can WB inform us as to who gave permission for that Berry song to be included ?

That's in THIS IS ELVIS

Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 pm

http://chuckberry.com/messageboard/view ... f=2&t=3005

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:36 pm

What a lame excuse!!! This is utter bullshit! How in the world can the management of Chuck Berry not be contacted.

I still bet that as soon as the first stock is sold and a new batch is coming. Say around xmas or maybe next year. It has JBG in it. And the message from Warner would be: "We finaly got in touch with mr. Berry".

Remember the 68 comeback dvd set? When accidentely 'it hurts me' was left out. You mean to tell me that no-one looks at their final product before it is released??

And then suddenly with the 1 disc version 'it hurts me' was back in the special.

I have one simple explanation for all this: MARKETING!!!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:43 pm

I still have the overall feeling (no facts, but a gut instinct) that Warner Bros. didn't try very hard or long to obtain copyrights from Chuck Berry. It sounds very similar to the RCA song-clearing routine/non-routine that plagued EP his entire career.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:53 pm

It's definitely too cute by half.

But at this stage in our lives, it's just par for the course , as with E1's gaffes, and others cited, that we either wait it out or buy it and eat the cost of getting the later (inevitable) upgrade.

The later DVD will have that "making of" film, too. :roll: It was well done (mostly) but purposely not included the first time out.

That's capitalism, baby.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's definitely too cute by half.

But at this stage in our lives, it's just par for the course , as with E1's gaffes, and others cited, that we either wait it out or buy it and eat the cost of getting the later (inevitable) upgrade.

The later DVD will have that "making of" film, too. :roll: It was well done (mostly) but purposely not included the first time out.

That's capitalism, baby.

Well said!

From a marketing point of view or better said 'the easy money' point of view it is brilliant!!

Although it would be such a breath of fresh air if EPE/Turner would release a quality release like the Beatles' 'Help'. Or remaster Elvis cd's like "the Doors" 2007 remasters.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Rigs, The Doors 2006 remasters were very controversial and should never be compared to the stellar work done with The Beatles catalogue last year.

With regards to this Johnny B. Goode debacle, what has become clear is that the studio really did not care about the artistic merits of the film. After apparently running into some issues with JBG, they simply replaced the track with a thoughtless substitute. Very little thought and care went into the decision. The same approach never would have happened with other legacy artists. It is another shining example of the lack of respect Elvis' artistry and fanbase receives. The studio lumps all of Elvis' fanbase in with the saps who buy ducks from EPE - they figure, the fanbase isn't very sophisticated and will probably enjoy Don't Be Cruel... The whole thing is a joke.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 pm

midnightx wrote:Rigs, The Doors 2006 remasters were very controversial and should never be compared to the stellar work done with The Beatles catalogue last year..

Couldn't agree more! I've choosen the doors as a comparison because I just picked up the 2007 remaster of 'strange days'. I was very impressed even though I'm aware that all tracks have been remixed. But that is another debate. The crystal clear sound is amazing. Its like Morrison is singing right next too you!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:31 pm

It's a sad commentary to be sure, but there's still something to be said for the film finally being reissued (however mauled) and given a theatrical setting.

I've often felt that Elvis was a bit more ordinary (less exciting to the girls and charasmatic to men) and just an ordinatary "Joe" (or "bloke"), it would not have overshadowed his great music.

Some of the fan screaming in EOT was humorous but easy to ridicule. After all, is he yesteday's Adam Lambert? To this day his fan base still has that sex appeal draw to him that say, Bob Dylan fans probably never have had.

So corporate policy treats him like a sexual commodity, nothing too serious. Sad but true. It's our burden, I guess.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:38 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's a sad commentary to be sure, but there's still something to be said for the film finally being reissued (however mauled) and given a theatrical setting.

I've often felt that Elvis was a bit more ordinary (less exciting to the girls and charasmatic to men) and just an ordinatary "Joe" (or "bloke"), it would not have overshadowed his great music.

Some of the fan screaming in EOT was humorous but easy to ridicule. After all, is he yesteday's Adam Lambert? To this day his fan base still has that sex appeal draw to him that say, Bob Dylan fans probably never have had.

So corporate policy treats him like a sexual commodity, nothing too serious. Sad but true. It's our burden, I guess.

Don't dismiss Elvis' appeal so easily. Even by today's standards, he is still appealing AND charismatic to the female population of all ages!!!! With all of our celebrity 'stars', he still remains a very appealing person and no doubt would still illicit screams. Even when his music is sung by another band, it still emits screams. It may be a little humorous, but, in Elvis-speak, he could still 'bring it' -- maybe not 1977 Elvis, but certainly his first years until the Aloha.