Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

'Johnny B Goode' official message Warner USA

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:40 pm

http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?p ... ws&id=3804

As soon that the fan world learned that ‘Johny B Goode’ was replaced by ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ on the opening credits of ‘Elvis On Tour’, hundreds of reactions where written on various message boards. Lots of fans are blaming Warner or EPE (who don’t even own the On Tour footage) for not doing a good job on this release. ElvisMatters contacted Tom Lucas, VP Marketing manager of Warner USA, and asked for an explanation. The moment Warner decided to release a restored version for ‘Elvis On Tour’, they contacted all the composers and publishers for the songs that are included in the movie. In case of ‘Johny B Goode’, they never received any reaction from composer Chuck Burry or his publisher. Warner tried to contact them for a very long time, but never received any reply or contract. It is not the case that Warner did not want to pay enough money to include the song, they simply did not receive an offer to pay for it. Warner had two options left: forget the whole project and put it back in the vault, or release it with another intro. The fact that they choose ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ and the editing that was used on it, is food for another discussion. Although the opening (only 87sec!) is altered, we still are very happy that we can enjoy the rest of the movie in great quality!

Re: 'Johny B Goode' official message Warner USA

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:43 pm

JustPretend wrote:http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=3804
As soon that the fan world learned that ‘Johny B Goode’ was replaced by ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ on the opening credits of ‘Elvis On Tour’, hundreds of reactions where written on various message boards. Lots of fans are blaming Warner or EPE (who don’t even own the On Tour footage) for not doing a good job on this release. ElvisMatters contacted Tom Lucas, VP Marketing manager of Warner USA, and asked for an explanation. The moment Warner decided to release a restored version for ‘Elvis On Tour’, they contacted all the composers and publishers for the songs that are included in the movie. In case of ‘Johny B Goode’, they never received any reaction from composer Chuck Burry or his publisher. Warner tried to contact them for a very long time, but never received any reply or contract. It is not the case that Warner did not want to pay enough money to include the song, they simply did not receive an offer to pay for it. Warner had two options left: forget the whole project and put it back in the vault, or release it with another intro. The fact that they choose ‘Don’t Be Cruel’ and the editing that was used on it, is food for another discussion. Although the opening (only 87sec!) is altered, we still are very happy that we can enjoy the rest of the movie in great quality!

Does that mean Mr. Berry and his publisher are unreachable??

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:48 pm

That seems to be the case...I don't think that Warner USA or it's spokesmen will tell this story as an official statement if it is not true. ElvisMatters has explicite permission to publish this as an official statement from Warner.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:53 pm

JustPretend wrote:http://www.elvismatters.com/index.php?pagina=nieuws&id=3804

I can live with this statement...Chuck Berry is still alive, isn't he ? :D

Personally, I would have put this back in the vault, until this could be resolved, somehow, some way.
As I doubt they will give up and it will be resolved just as Aloha was.
I guess we will all find out tonite if "Johnny B Goode" is in the theatre version.
My gut feeling, the movie will have it, but the DVD obviously will not have it.
Different copyright laws for both projects.

PEP 8)

I'm sure the Berry camp would have woken up if Warner included the version without permission.
Doesn't the publisher have an address?
What did they do.. an email, phone call?

This is going to be fun as I can already hear a reaction out of the Chuck Berry corner:
"We were never contacted" 8)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Robert wrote:I'm sure the Berry camp would have woken up if Warner included the version without permission.

Agreed.
PEP 8)

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 pm

In 2012 i guess they will re-release it.. Maybe they will get it right then.. Isn't it Johnny B Goode?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:58 pm

Yes, I agree with Pep that they should have held off. This isn't even much of an anniversary year and we've waited this long .And yes, we'll find out tonight. I'm hoping it's there.

It was probably a negotiating tactic of Berry , et al. but still. Go back, send certified mail follow-ups and make phone calls.

How foolish, ultimately, on Berry and his publisher's part.

It reminds me of those who have rare Elvis sides "("Rock Around the Clock" etc.) and act like it's still a big deal in 2010 as it might have been 20-30 years ago. If you hold out like that, time marches on. Sadly, they don't care enough to try to make the release right. It's too bad Abel and the other fellow are both gone- this wouldn't have happened if they were around to complain, I'm betting.

Seems the almight buck wins again. How lazy...right down to the not-so special revised artwork for the movie poster and DVD cover, etc.

Looking forward to tonight's showing, all the same!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:10 pm

I think Chuck Berry doesn't give enough credit to Elvis for his carrer and his place in R&R history. I remember watching a clip after Elvis death where musicians like Roy Orbison, Stevie Wonder among others are interviewed...you can see that CB talks like not having much respect or admiration for Elvis.
I also think of his age, being an old multimillionaire in his 80's and with such a life in his shoulders might be not interested in royalties or those legal things and more incomes anymore.
With all the great classics he made, he and his family have enough for the rest of the century :wink:
Last edited by ale on Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

That is so weird. They couldn't reach anyone? Maybe Berry should consider to change his publisher. Wonder how much he lost because of this fiasco.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:30 pm

Thats such a weak excuse.

Did they ask Chuck for his permission in 1972 when the film came out?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:36 pm

Maybe this is just Chucks way of being able to continue with the black person mantra that Elvis never gave black people their due?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Surely EPE had to get permission to use the song in the Aloha DVD set a couple of years ago - I can't believe they wouldn't respond to Warners, when they'll have made good money from the Aloha set, which sold well.

Re: 'Johnny B Goode' official message Warner USA

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:38 pm

Bloody "Dont Be Cruel" for God's sake! What a joke!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:47 pm

I've written to Chuck's representatives & included a copy of Warner's explanation, & have given them the chance to give their side of the story, if indeed they have one. I will post their reply once I receive it.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:51 pm

If they couldn't get "Johnny B. Goode," My personal choice would have been "Promised Land."

I'm still getting the damned DVD and apparently kissing someone's ass.

Where's Little Darlin?

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 pm

I'm not happy with the fact that Johnny B. isn't in the opening, but I'm still looking forward to seeing this tonight in the theater and having a Blu-Ray copy. However, I don't know if I really buy the excuse of they "couldn't reach" Chuck Berry or his publishers. C'mon! Really? You couldn't get them?

So I'm picturing someone at Warners dialing them up and the phone keeps ringing on the other end? Some guy in a suit at his desk going "Damn! Why don't they ever pick the phone up over there? This guy is harder to get in touch with then the President!" On the other end, Chuck Berry is fast asleep with his Captain's hat crookedly on his head and the TV remote in his hand, drool coming out the side of his mouth. The phone nearby just ringing and ringing to no avail. Maybe during one of the calls Berry picks the phone up but Warners has just hung up. "Hello? Hello?!" Then Berry calling to his assistant in the other room. "Dammit, I told you to do something about those damn crank callers!!!". Then he goes back to sleep, and now we have "Don't Be Cruel" in the film instead. Or maybe we can call it "Johnny B. Cruel"....

Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Hopefully this doesn't become a "they said -- they said" thing. This project has likely been in the works for a while, perhaps even as long a 3+ years in hopes of releasing for the 30th anniversary in 2007 (when the HD DVD vs. Blu Ray battle was being waged) and I believe Viva Las Vegas and Jailhouse Rock were even released on HD DVD that year because WB was backing that format. Perhaps this difficulty with Berry's publishing company dates that far back, thus delaying the release and with 2 options, the 75th birthday year or the 40th anniversary of Elvis On Tour and they chose to go with the broader year. Remember they aren't just releasing Elvis On Tour on DVD and Blu Ray, they are releasing 3 Blu Ray discs, a BD box and a 14 film DVD boxed set this year. Perhaps, as I've said before on this board, if sales are good and WB finally gets feedback from Berry's company we'll get the original remastered film plus bonuses for the 40th anniversary. Let us hope that happens and they do the same thing with the performances they did with TTWII SE and work with Sony/BMG to use the original multi-track tapes to restore the sound and Johnny B. Goode, the "real" "2001", etc.

As an aside I think I would've added TTWII on Blu Ray in the releases and included it in the BD set.

Can't wait for tonight!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:07 pm

In my opinion, the Warner story is real...why would they have reached an agreement with all other people involved with the songs that are used, and just would not try to do it with this one song...it makes no sence if they would not have tried it.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

So let me get this right. Berry's people answered the phone when asked if they could include 'Promised Land' and 'Too Much Monkey Business' in 'This is Elvis', they answered the phone when they wanted permission to include 'Johnny B Goode' in 'Aloha', they answered the phone to put 'Johnny B Goode' in the 'Elvis Lives' video but they could not answer the phone, an e mail, a text, a tweet, a visit to their offices when Warner tried to get 'Johnny B' in Elvis On Tour?

Am I missing something here?

The whole thing sounds like, pardon the pun "Too Much Monkey Buisness"

Burning Love

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:31 pm

It sounds like B.S. Berry's camp didn't respond to repeated inquiries? Chuck isn't interested in making money from Presley product. This DVD reissue should have been postponed until all issues were resolved.

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:33 pm

Rob wrote:If they couldn't get "Johnny B. Goode," My personal choice would have been "Promised Land."

you know, i thought of that as being a really cool sub, but you'd have the same problem as Berry wrote both!

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:37 pm

Or Better yet get a bettter 'creative consultant' to the movie that would not suggest a 70's live throwaway version of Dont be Cruel as a worthy substitue!!

Burning Love

Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:44 pm

JustPretend wrote:ElvisMatters contacted Tom Lucas, VP Marketing manager of Warner USA, and asked for an explanation. The moment Warner decided to release a restored version for ‘Elvis On Tour’, they contacted all the composers and publishers for the songs that are included in the movie. In the case of ‘Johnny B Goode’, they never received any reaction from composer Chuck Berry or his publisher. Warner tried to contact them for a very long time, but never received any reply or contract. It is not the case that Warner did not want to pay enough money to include the song, they simply did not receive an offer to pay for it.

Burning Love wrote:So let me get this right. Berry's people answered the phone when asked if they could include 'Promised Land' and 'Too Much Monkey Business' in 'This is Elvis', they answered the phone when they wanted permission to include 'Johnny B Goode' in 'Aloha', they answered the phone to put 'Johnny B Goode' in the 'Elvis Lives' video but they could not answer the phone, an e mail, a text, a tweet, a visit to their offices when Warner tried to get 'Johnny B' in Elvis On Tour?

Exactly. The response from Warner, if legitimate, is simply not credible.

If there's one thing Chuck Berry values is a buck.

If there was never "any reaction," why not send a certified letter informing them the film will be released, intact and If they want compensation, they better reply?

As for the opening song "substitution"of "Don't Be Cruel" -- whoever made that decision is a complete and utter HACK.

It's 2010, and Elvis is still being treated like ****.

Amazing.