Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

WRITING FOR THE KING, Is it worth the purchase?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:12 am

I have a lot of Elvis FTD's. One I have been thinking about buying that I don't have yet is WRITING FOR THE KING.

With Elvis "That's The Way It Was". I bought the original book + CD when it came out. But then, a while later they released the CD individually.

Are there any plans to release "Writing For The King" as CD's only? How is the book? Is the book worth the extra money?

Also, one thing that kind of baffles me - The first CD is a bunch of Elvis tracks. Then the second CD is all people who wrote songs that Elvis sang. I think that's cool personally. But here's the question. Don't you think they should have matched up the songs on each CD? What I mean is, for example, on CD 2 they have "Trouble (Jerry Leiber/Mike Stoller)". But their is no Elvis version of Trouble on CD 1. Wouldn't it have made sense to include Elvis' version of each song to go along with the original recordings? So you could compare them back to back?

Re: WRITING FOR THE KING, Is it worth the purchase?

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:14 am

"Writing for the King" is all about the book primarily, not the CDs. However, one of the CDs makes essential listening, that of the demo versions. The live disc is totally misplaced and irrelevant to the package.

Get the book - it is a fascinating, essential read.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:22 am

My favourite FTD book project. I consider it essential.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:22 am

I'm with Mathew forget about the CD,s it's all about the book and the book is fascinating
full of great interviews from the great,good and otherwise songwriters.Insightful to say the least.Forget about the CDs.As a standalone book,it's one of the best.

norrie

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 am

I'm also with Frankie he must have hit submit a second before I did!

norrie

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 am

Yes, it is worth purchasing. An essential book.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 am

elvis8atari wrote:Is the book worth the extra money?

YES.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvis8atari wrote:Is the book worth the extra money?

YES.

I second that. I actually listen to demos disc more than the live disc. Dennis Linde's demo of Burning Love is excellent - its like a unrelased Creedence Clearwater song.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 am

Based on your recommendations, I will be buying it. Thanks.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:55 pm

I agree with Mathew,the demo disc is very interesting but the live disc is a piece of crap,put together by Ernst of course. It's a poorly edited junk and doesn't have too much connection to the theme of the book. Bits and pieces from various shows (some of the recordings are not even unreleased) and the sound quality is bad which is strange,because these are professional multi-track recordings. However, a sound engineer (???) like Lene Reidel can destroy anything,she's very talented in that.
In fact this is the only thing she's talented in.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:53 pm

I agree with Mathew,the demo disc is very interesting but the live disc is a piece of crap,put together by Ernst of course. It's a poorly edited junk and doesn't have too much connection to the theme of the book. Bits and pieces from various shows (some of the recordings are not even unreleased) and the sound quality is bad which is strange,because these are professional multi-track recordings. However, a sound engineer (???) like Lene Reidel can destroy anything,she's very talented in that.
In fact this is the only thing she's talented in.

:roll:

Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:My favourite FTD book project. I consider it essential.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
(It must have been while you were kissing me)

The best FTD book by far, with lots of great stories by the sogwriters.

The demo disc is a revelation and a fascinating glimpse at what Elvis heard originally before turning those demos into hits.

Worth every penny.
Disc 2 is just something thrown in to have some Elvis music in for those who don't care about the book or demos.

Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:28 pm

Its a great book and the demo CD is very interesting.
It is a wonderful insight as how Elvis crafted his art.
Take trouble for example and listen how Elvis transformed the 50´s bad boy style parody aproach of the original singer into a raw, powerful , mean performance.
T-R-O-U-B-L-E is another good example. A more country sound turned into rock by the King.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:11 am

Johanesson wrote:I agree with Mathew

That's nice - but what about the BOOK? The CDs are not the primary reason to purchase this visionary product brought to us via the great, indispensible FTD label, serving fans well for over 10 years now.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:21 am

Fantastic book
the original songs are pretty cool too.i like "ive lost you" a lot

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Best FTD release EVER!
Essential purchase.

Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:30 pm

"Wearin' That Loved-On Look" by Dallas Frazier... Whoa! 8)

Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:22 pm

The best part of the Demo disc is Heartbreak Hotel by Glenn Reeves.

Rich

Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:04 am

Awesome book –– Buy without reservation!

Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:51 am

NIce but overpriced.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 am

Go to bed, little one.

Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Stay on topic? isnt it one of the rules?

Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:35 am

Tell whoever is typing for you that I appreciate it.

Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:02 am

Sergio Luiz wrote:Its a great book and the demo CD is very interesting.
It is a wonderful insight as how Elvis crafted his art.
Take trouble for example and listen how Elvis transformed the 50´s bad boy style parody aproach of the original singer into a raw, powerful , mean performance.
T-R-O-U-B-L-E is another good example. A more country sound turned into rock by the King.

I think T-R-O-U-B-L-E Demo sounds like one of the Guys from King Of The Hill !!! I can't remember the name of the Character but it sounds just like him. :shock:

Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:36 am

It's in fact one of the most important FTD's out there! Reading about all those artists that he recorded and their feelings about it is simply more than a good read! As for the recordings, then you have to make up your own mind! I never miss any FTD, but when you ask about this one: Get it!