Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Do you support the release of bootlegs?

YES
78%
NO
22%

Total votes : 45

What do you guys and girls think about bootlegs?

Fri May 02, 2003 4:47 pm

Are there many of you out there who won't buy bootlegs because they are a bit naughty?

I remember about two and a half years ago when I first saw the Elvis Is Still Active In Norway site and all the info about bootlegs - they attained a mythical status because of their rarity and the fact that I didn't even know they existed! I couldn't even find out where you could get them!

I'm in two minds about whether I agree with them or not. On the one hand they make stuff available that we'd never hear otherwise (certainly prior to FTD) on the other, it is illegal.

Didn't stop me buying some though!!!!! (lol)

So where do you all stand on this issue?

Andrew.

Fri May 02, 2003 5:04 pm

For a long time the bootlegs were all we had, and therefore were most welcome releases. These days thanks to Ernst and Roger we are much better served by BMG on both the mainstream and collectors releases, and as a result of this the current bootleg releases don’t seem quite as attractive as the ones issued in the past (particularly prior to the start of the FTD label).

Whilst like most other fans here I fully support the FTD label, if a new bootleg was released that appealed to me, I would still buy it rather than let the opportunity pass, and hope for an official release at some point in the future. It does appear though, that constant stream of quality previously un-issued material via FTD has limited the amount of quality new bootlegs for the time being at least.

I suppose if “Support” means actually buying bootleg product most of us would have to answer that “yes, we do support bootlegs”, but I have to say that since the start of the FTD label I have bought a great deal less bootleg albums than I did before, so my support of FTD has certainly affected the amount of unofficial product that I buy now.

Fri May 02, 2003 6:17 pm

Give me new stuff I dont care from where :oops:

Fri May 02, 2003 7:50 pm

I think that Francesc makes a very valid point. For years all we could get was on bootleg vinyl. Joanie tried to give us some unreleased stuff as often as she could, but that met with resistance from the suits at RCA. I think that RCA/BMG finally realized that there was a market for this stuff (not to mention the ungodly amounts of money that they were losing to the bootleggers) and FTD was born. While I support FTD 100%, they can't release everything as fast as bootleggers can. For that reason, I will continue to support the bootleggers as well.

Tom

Fri May 02, 2003 9:13 pm

I don't support just any bootleg. There's a lot substance from the behind of a dog, just from that hole under his tail. And it ain't smells purdy. I mean we can live well without audience tapes sounding awful bad. But remember we had some absolute great cd's in the past. Bilko, Fort Baxter, Diamond Anniversary Edition, Flashback, Lone Star, Madison, Rock Legends. Those guys behind these "labels" took a dare to give us some real great Elvis cd's. FTD is a very good substitute but they won't give us complete sessions with all the takes. They don't give us all the soundboards. There's one ace in the hands of FTD, they've got the best sounding stuff. So for the future i have no problem with soundboards or sessions in good quality. To the bootleg guys......be careful out there!

Fri May 02, 2003 9:19 pm

As long as you gett the stuff,i don't care who gives it!!
Fact is that bootleggers provided us with fantastic material(FTD now too)and i'm certain that many tracks/shows released by them never come out by BMG/FTD.
I buy the collectorsstuff from FTD and the cd's of BMG,but bootlegs had and always have my support and loyalty.

Fri May 02, 2003 9:43 pm

BOOTLEGS, there is no such thing!!!!! There is only IMPORTS!

Fri May 02, 2003 9:45 pm

The only bootlegs are the ones I wear. Then again, what good are they without the boots! I think whoever started this poll, should stay away from them. There are not going to do you any good.

Bootlegs or Imports

Fri May 02, 2003 9:58 pm

whatever you call them I think they have a up and down side to them. The upside being the release of them does bring out "new" Elvis material . The downside is that they are not readily avaliable but i guess that's why they are called bootlegs lol. It has forced to a point to create FTD though so another good point but a lot of the better stuff has already been released on boots so I think Ernst may be reluctant to release a concert that has been issued on a bootleg. Since i have no way of obtaining them oh well. The only one i have ever wanted is Burning in Birmingham. Ernst if you read this release it on FTD . I know it probably won't happen but it's worth a shot.

BamaJon

Fri May 02, 2003 10:03 pm

What is all this about bootlegs? Any talk about clothing or any other kind of cowboy material, should be put in the off topic. I think this subject should be deleted immediately, this has nothing to do with Elvis. Urban Cowboys are for mechanical bulls!

Fri May 02, 2003 10:09 pm

Philo,
I'm going to see your boy there in a golf tourney next month. Anything you want me to relay to him?

Tom

Fri May 02, 2003 11:50 pm

at one time i did by boots but no more
now we have ftd cds.

i dont by all of them only a few i like to have.

but now i dont own no boots cds or lps. in
my elvis collections any more.

now i by the best of Tom in North Carolina cds.

only for $19.95.

curtis simpkins.

Sat May 03, 2003 12:38 am

Francesc wrote:Give me new stuff I dont care from where :oops:

Same here..... as long as it shows real devotion to Elvis, whether it's official or bootleg, I can enjoy it. If it's made just to make a quick buck (official or bootleg), then I hate it....

So whoever releases a good product that adds something to the Elvis world, is welcomed by me :)

Bootlegs Brought Me Back Into the Fold

Sat May 03, 2003 5:39 am

I love the 'boots' as they were the product that got me "back into" the Elvis phenomenon I had drifted from as I grew out my rebellion years. These cds provided material I would never have dreamt existed and I have and will continue to support the purveyors of this treasure trove. :twisted:
THE SWAMP FOX

Sat May 03, 2003 9:20 am

I love the boots, especially a few years back when there was no FTD. But today I like FTD better. The only boots that comes out are soundboards, and mostly the sound is not that good.

Sat May 03, 2003 1:39 pm

I voted "no" mainly because bootlegging means stealing something that isn't yours and making money with it. The vast majority of bootlegs is also pretty crappy. Most of them are of poor sound quality, the "mixing", "mastering" and the use of cheap effects is amteurish as is the "artwork". IMHO the only two bootlegs that are worth a buy are "Finding The Way Home" (great material and the best booklet I've seen on an import release) and "The Brightest Star On Sunset. Blvd.". Maybe also "A Hot Winter Night In Dallas" and "Hello Memphis" but that's about it then, I guess. Since FTD I neither listen to bootlegs nor have I bought any. It simply isn't worth it. In fact I've sold almost all of them.

Sat May 03, 2003 1:56 pm

yes, FTD is great, has maybe better sound, but does all artists has a label like FTD ?? nope I also collect CDs with other artsits than Elvis and have all official stuff with them so only thing I can do now is waiting for new releases or buy boots

Sat May 03, 2003 5:10 pm

In the past we have had access to some amazing material via the bootleg releases, however, I feel that the bootleg scene has more or less had it's day now - particularly with the advent of the FTD label.

Many of the old bootleg classics will forever remain essential .......FTWH, BSOSB, the outstanding soundboards etc. These days the quality bootleg releases of yester year are all but non existant.

Unfortunately what we have had since the quality bootleg releases dried up is largely shoddy CDR rip offs and poor quality audience recordings - which as somebody has already pointed out are often just a way for some people to make a fast buck whilst not giving a damn about the quality. This type of 'shoddy import' I do not support.

There will always be room for the old 'quality' import CDs but the need for new bootlegs these days has largely been negated by the FTD label (and the BMG box sets). With FTD we are really getting (at the very least) the equivalent of cream of the crop bootleg releases every time the FTD label puts out a CD (often the FTD product far surpasses what we could have hoped for on import)

An interesting case study perhaps would be the 1969 sessions - American Crown Jewels is great - the Memphis Sessions is even better. Yet Finding The Way Home would never find it's way onto a FTD release in that format of multiple outtakes.

So in conclusion to me the old quality bootlegs together with the FTD material (and boxsets) means that new bootlegs are no longer the necessity they once were.

Sun May 04, 2003 4:41 am

FTD has raised the bar of standards for boots to meet. I'm less willing to be satisfied with a hack-job import now than I otherwise would have been years ago (pre-FTD days).

Irregardless, I welcome imports that are done with quality and a respect for the fans. Anything unreleased and listenable (which is very subjective from fan-to-fan) is welcome.

I also cannot forget that we have the FTD label because of "imports." There is always something to be thankful for.

N8
...just a fan....

Tue May 06, 2003 2:32 pm

Thanks to you all!

Some really interesting and valid points made.