Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Great Southern Masters --> Rolling Stone Reviews The 60s Box

Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:40 am

Further research has yielded the Rolling Stone review of the Big Bang II -->

From Nashville to Memphis: The Essential 60's Masters (RCA, October 1993).

This is such a great collection, and critic Paul Evans covers Presley's 60s work in conjunction with Rhino's incredible Otis Redding box set, under the heading "The Great Southern Masters."

Unlike what some claim about Rolling Stone snobbery, Evans loves the release. "... Presley remains the finest singer rock & roll has produced."

The set gets FIVE stars.

Enjoy!

RS 669 - Nov 11 1993 p76.JPG
Rolling Stone 669 - November 11, 1993
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Great Southern Masters --> Rolling Stone Reviews The 60s

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:18 am

Lovely stuff Doc! Reminds me how much I appreciate that boxed set too!

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:21 am

bajo wrote:Lovely stuff Doc! Reminds me how much I appreciate that boxed set too!

It's a good review -- I even like the caricatures!

The Redding box is killer too.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:45 am

From Nashville to Memphis belies any notion that only the '50s Elvis was vital... his command makes one judgment incontestable; Presley remains the finest singer Rock & Roll has produced.

Comments are true and very accurate! Thanks for the post!!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:06 am

Jove wrote:
From Nashville to Memphis belies any notion that only the '50s Elvis was vital... his command makes one judgment incontestable; Presley remains the finest singer Rock & Roll has produced.

Comments are true and very accurate! Thanks for the post!!

You're welcome. I'm a little bummed about the image size, I may try to re-scan upload it a big larger. There are some good lines in there.

One of the bonus tracks I loved on the 60s box was the alternate take of "Kentucky Rain" -- besides the undubbed backing, Elvis took the chorus to a different place, singing "cold" in a higher, more urgent voice.

It was a thrill! I played that one over and over.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:30 am

Oh yeah... and wasn't that the first (official) time we got an undubbed version of "In The Ghetto" (Take 4)? That was pure magic!

Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:39 am

The whole set was nicely conceived -- all the May 1963 sessions properly mixed and collected, all the classic Mar-Apr 1960 and Jan-Feb 1969 material in one place, and the best of 1966-1968 right there, at your fingertips.

Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:56 pm

There are some good lines in there.

Darn tooting doc.................the king and his crack players could make even tripe palatable.

true,so true

norrie

Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:26 pm

norrie wrote:There are some good lines in there.

Darn tooting doc.................the king and his crack players could make even tripe palatable.

true,so true

Thanks, norrie.

The article has now been increased in size for greater enjoyment!

BTW --> everyone should own a copy of the Redding box. It's AWESOME.

Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:19 pm

BTW --> everyone should own a copy of the Redding box. It's AWESOME.

I think so. Sounds great.

When I was a child I was runnin' wild when I listened to the single of "Can't Turn You Loose" b/w "Love Man" - still do! :)

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:57 pm

Thanks for the review Doc. I concur about the Redding box set. IIRC, Redding apparently did a few Elvis covers on occasion, such Elvis's version of "One Night." A pity Big E never covered the Big O.

These last few years have been very find to Otis fans, what with the releases of expanded versions of Otis Blue, Live in Europe, At the Whisky-A-Go-Go, and DVD releases of the Stax tour and his other live work.

Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:03 am

Lovely stuff, Doc. Elvis and Otis....nice one!