Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

I just saw Blade Runner 2049

Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:59 am

Hey guys,I just saw the movie and it's great.
When the Elvis segment came in, after 2/3 of the movie, I thought I had a visual orgasm.
A hologram of him appears when he sings Suspicious Minds,(for a couple of seconds) and it is really him.The crowd here (in a little romanian cinema) was very pleased.
After that another hologram appears,(in the same white jumpsuit ) and sings Can't help falling in love (audio from the 1961 single) but this wasn't Elvis, (I think some impersonator,from what I could see)
The movie has long frameworks, top notch acting, and the visuals are stunning.It is also very long. This is not a comercial/mainstream movie, but an art SF and it builds very slowly.I think the original Blade Runner fans will be pleased.
PS:I noticed that the song Can't Help falling in love is very used in the movies lately. It was also used in Conjuring 2.

Re: I just saw Blade Runner 2049

Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:10 am

I also expect a lot of people to see this movie and maybe Elvis popularity will rise a bit.It is the 1970 slim handsome Elvis they will see.

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:26 am

I can't wait to see this movie next week!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Sure, let's start a third thread about this...why not.

I saw the movie on Thursday and reported on this board the following in another thread:

The Elvis and Monroe hologram clips are in the showroom or concert hall and the Sinatra one is in the lobby under a glass dome as seen in the movie trailer.

Monroe fans were ripped off with only maybe one or two seconds only.

Elvis is wearing the Concha suit and visually is based on TTWII. Elvis first appears in a scene of some tension for Harrison Ford and Ryan Gosling's characters. For the entire scene, the holograms and their sound are cutting in and out, so you don't see or hear anything for any more than a few seconds at a time.

You first see Elvis from a distance, and I'm guessing this was a lookalike under lights. But if someone told me it was a complete digital image I wouldn't be surprised. Elvis is just getting to the bridge of "Suspicious Minds" and swooping down onto one knee. Both visual and audio are from TTWII sources although its difficult to say how much was from actual film and how much was digitally created. Probably some of both. The "Suspicious Minds" movements are all very good and Elvis looks great. The bridge of "Suspicious Minds" definately came from, or was modelled on TTWII-SE where Elvis drops to one knee with that wide swinging arm motion.

Then after some dialogue Elvis is singing "Can't Help Falling In Love." But although the image is still TTWII, the audio is the 1961 master from Blue Hawaii. The incongruity was jarring to me. This wasn't how Elvis sang "Can't Help Falling In Love" on stage. But to those that don't know - no one will be the wiser. So the TTWII Elvis is standing quite still on stage giving a 1961 rendition of CHFIL. Harrison Ford says "I like this song" or "I liked this song", I forget which. There was something about Elvis here that reminded me of Aloha. Maybe the hair or sideburns. Not sure.

But it's all really background to the drama and dialogue of the movie. The audio and visuals are all very cut up in a "power cutting in and out / too much Las Vegas sand in the machinery" kind of way.

And great movie, by the way. A VERY worthy follow-up to the original.
This is probably Harrison Ford's finest acting performance since Air Force One.