Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

School Day/Hail Hail - Best Version

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:56 am

I was playing Burning In Birmingham (29 December, 1976) quite a bit the last few days. I love the freedom and lack of inhibition Elvis displays throughout the show. I don't really care for what may have been fuelling it, Ginger, something else, whatever. I've heard this and other shows from this tour plenty of times and know them well, but for whatever reason, I've zeroed in on School Day/Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll. For this orchestra extravaganza, Elvis generally threw in a few lyrics almost like an apology or acknowledgement that the intros were too long or didn't feature enough of himself. Whatever. But in this version, he pretty much sings all of "his version's lyrics" clearly, and ends with quite an enthusiastic, un-inhibited finale. I like it and he impresses me. Elvis jokes saying words to the effect that he "busted a gut" when he hit that high end note.
Aside from this version, and the 1980 release on the Elvis Aron Presley box set, can you list any fully sung versions that hold as much commitment or more (albeit, showing off) than the 29 December 1976 version?

Re: School Day/Hail Hail - Best Version

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am

i seem to remember Dec 75' too!~ :D

Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:29 pm

Jim Dandy wrote:I was playing Burning In Birmingham (29 December, 1976) quite a bit the last few days. I love the freedom and lack of inhibition Elvis displays throughout the show. I don't really care for what may have been fuelling it, Ginger, something else, whatever. I've heard this and other shows from this tour plenty of times and know them well, but for whatever reason, I've zeroed in on School Day/Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll. For this orchestra extravaganza, Elvis generally threw in a few lyrics almost like an apology or acknowledgement that the intros were too long or didn't feature enough of himself. Whatever. But in this version, he pretty much sings all of "his version's lyrics" clearly, and ends with quite an enthusiastic, un-inhibited finale. I like it and he impresses me. Elvis jokes saying words to the effect that he "busted a gut" when he hit that high end note.
Aside from this version, and the 1980 release on the Elvis Aron Presley box set, can you list any fully sung versions that hold as much commitment or more (albeit, showing off) than the 29 December 1976 version?

December 28 1976 :D

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 am

It's not a question I will spend much time researching. :lol:

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:49 am

The best version of "School Day" is the original Chuck Berry single. The Guercio orchestra rendition is almost completely worthless.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:48 am

it's all the same.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:56 am

No Guercio, no Tony...

Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The best version of "School Day" is the original Chuck Berry single. The Guercio orchestra rendition is almost completely worthless.

So you're saying there's a sliver of worthiness here?

Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The best version of "School Day" is the original Chuck Berry single. The Guercio orchestra rendition is almost completely worthless.

+ 1