Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"A Boy From Tupelo" Reprint Petition! Sign up!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:27 pm

So I've created this as I've seen for a long time that there is evident demand for the 2nd run of this amazing boxset.
Just like many of you I didn't have the chance to buy it because of strictly limited run. We'll accept the similar or the same price though!
With this petition I want to show to Ernst Jorgensen/ FTD / Sony that there is a big amount of potential buyers for the 2nd run.
I've set the limit to 1,000 as of now.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/a-bo ... te-1953-55

PLEASE SIGN UP AND POST IT ON ANOTHER ELVIS' COMMUNITY SITES/FORUMS!
FECC MODERATOR PLEASE GET THIS TOPIC STICKY!
Last edited by Greg1995 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "A Boy From Tupelo" Reprint Petition! Sign up!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:42 pm

Done.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:47 pm

The Elvis Shop London has a few sealed copies for sale at £250...
I hate to be a naysayer but I don't think a petition will make one iota bit of difference.
Having said that, it's an exceptional tome and deserves to be in every fans collection, so naturally, I wish you the best of luck...

Re:

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:48 pm

When In Rome wrote:The Elvis Shop London has a few sealed copies for sale at £250...
I hate to be a naysayer but I don't think a petition will make one iota bit of difference.
Having said that, it's an exceptional tome and deserves to be in every fans collection, so naturally, I wish you the best of luck...

This petition is the only thing we can do, so why not try?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:56 pm

Greg1995 wrote:So I've created this as I've seen for a long time that there is evident demand for the 2nd run of this amazing boxset.
Just like many of you I didn't have the chance to buy it because of strictly limited run or high price.
With this petition I want to show to Ernst Jorgensen/ FTD / Sony that there is a big amount of potential buyers for the 2nd run.

A limited edition is a limited edition... You fool the original buyers with who paid a good sum for a collectors item...

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:59 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
When In Rome wrote:The Elvis Shop London has a few sealed copies for sale at £250...

Do you really think it would be any cheaper, or any less limited on a second run though?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 pm

TheKingisthething wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:So I've created this as I've seen for a long time that there is evident demand for the 2nd run of this amazing boxset.
Just like many of you I didn't have the chance to buy it because of strictly limited run or high price.

A limited edition is a limited edition... You fool the original buyers with who paid a good sum for a collectors item...

Limited editions are overated, The Complete masters was also a limited edition (which was numbered) eventually to be reprinted. The same for ''Showroom internationale'' LP from last year, and Ultimate Elvis (which got a softcover reprint)
Sure people have paid good money for it, but that does not mean that it can't get reprinted so others can own it too, not everybody could afford it at the time but does that mean they don't deserve it at all?.. or do they have to shell out 250 to a 1000 to have it?

Re: Re:

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:02 pm

When In Rome wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

Do you really think it would be any cheaper, or any less limited on a second run?

My main goal IS NOT THE PRICE but more copies available.
If the second run happens it will still be limited edition therefore quite expensive (about 100 Euro on pre-order + shipping costs).
I din't get it because I could not find a copy (and shipping prices killed it) and prices for the boxset today (new or sealed) are like 500 Euro which is insane.
Last edited by Greg1995 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:06 pm

TheKingisthething wrote:

I don't look at it that way!
Look... every and each standard FTD CD release (7 inch digipacks) gets about 2000 copies run.
And many of them are still reprinted! And they are "limited edition" Nobody bi*ches about that their older FTD is now "less collective item",
so why in case of "ABFT"? The whole FTD series is a "limited edition", right?
So your point with "poor collectors who paid so much money for the 1st run..." is (sorry to say that...) totally stupid.
And why the release that've been worked on for years and years
and contains such rare historical/photography/music material should be available to only 2000 happy guys, if there is demand?
(I totally understand that the costs must matches higher income)
And the stripped-down "Joe Public" version of the set with live "IFTRF" added won't happen in near future as it seems.
Food for thought. :smt002

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:21 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
TheKingisthething wrote:

Look... every and each standard FTD CD release (7 inch digipacks) gets about 2000 copies run.
And many of them are still reprinted! And they are "limited edition" Nobody bi*ches about that their older FTD is now "less collective item",
so why in case of "ABFT"? The whole FTD series is a "limited edition", right?
So your point with "poor collectors who paid so much money for the 1st run..." is (sorry to say that...) totally stupid.
And why the release that've been worked on for years and years
and contains such rare historical/photography/music material should be available to only 2000 happy guys, if there is demand?
(I totally understand that the costs must matches higher income)
And the stripped-down "Joe Public" version of the set with live "IFTRF" added won't happen in near future as it seems.
Food for thought. :smt002

Thanks, but I already ate..

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:23 pm

Are there a few thousand new buyers out there that have appeared since the long pre-order window in 2012 that can guarantee a sell out for a new production run?

I'm not so sure.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:26 pm

Matthew wrote:Are there a few thousand new buyers out there that have appeared since the long pre-order window in 2012 that can guarantee a sell out for a new production run?

I'm not so sure.

A petition can verify that so that's why I've created one.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 pm

I'll buy it!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Limited editions are overated, The Complete masters was also a limited edition (which was numbered) eventually to be reprinted. The same for ''Showroom internationale'' LP from last year, and Ultimate Elvis (which got a softcover reprint)
Sure people have paid good money for it, but that does not mean that it can't get reprinted so others can own it too, not everybody could afford it at the time but does that mean they don't deserve it at all?.. or do they have to shell out 250 to a 1000 to have it?

None of your examples include a 12x12, 500-page hardcover book with hundreds of previously-unpublished photos, specializing in a very small career arc. And your statement does not take into account that every Follow That Dream book to date has done a single print run. The reason? Sales indicate that's all the collector market will bear.

So "overrated" is a very uninformed claim when it comes to the subject of this topic.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Would people settle for a paperback edition and no music?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
TheKingisthething wrote:

Neither do I. This way of thinking needs to go. I own this boxset, I paid the original price, it's still in mint condition, and yes I do love thing. Is it a collectors item? Yes, it probably is, but I don't care. This is not the stock market. I don't care what it's worth. This is a piece of art, and I wish every deep fan could own a copy, so I would very much welcome a re-print.

Is there a market for it? I'm not so sure. Hopefully there is...
Last edited by Keith Richards, Jr. on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:36 pm

Claus wrote:Would people settle for a paperback edition and no music?

:D

I'm a Sun era lover so I would like to have it all!
But yes... I would settle for a size-down grey market version with booklet only, but I want all the music,
but even that is not happening...

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:Limited editions are overated, The Complete masters was also a limited edition (which was numbered) eventually to be reprinted. The same for ''Showroom internationale'' LP from last year, and Ultimate Elvis (which got a softcover reprint)

None of your examples include a 12x12, 500-page hardcover book with hundreds of previously-unpublished photos, specializing in a very small career arc. And your statement does not take into account that every Follow That Dream book to date has done a single print run and that's all. The reason? That's all the collector market will bear. So "overrated" is a very uniformed comment when it comes to the subject of this topic.

Would you agree that the collectors market is getting smaller as time goes by?

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Id settle for a smaller version, but make it a 4 disc set with a dvd of TV performances and the tupelo shows. Also add the wire recording of "I forgot to remember". I'd take that over a huge book any day. :lol:

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:40 pm

Greg1995 wrote:

I would settle for a size-down grey market version with booklet only, but I want all the music,

Gregster, I'm sure the main label will take care of (most of) the music someday soon, including the legendary wire recording...

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:43 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
Greg1995 wrote:

I would settle for a size-down grey market version with booklet only, but I want all the music,

Gregster, I'm sure the main label will take care of (most of) the music someday soon, including the legendary wire recording...

It's Elvis' 80th birthday year celebration so I don't see a better chance to release it to the actual Elvis' music long-time fans.
Oh yeah I forgot! Let's give us another Elvis album with newly added music!

Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Barry wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

None of your examples include a 12x12, 500-page hardcover book with hundreds of previously-unpublished photos, specializing in a very small career arc. And your statement does not take into account that every Follow That Dream book to date has done a single print run and that's all. The reason? That's all the collector market will bear. So "overrated" is a very uniformed comment when it comes to the subject of this topic.

Maybe.. but there are still great, expensive, hard-core fan FTD books
by David English being produced (like recent" Rock Around The Bloch" or soon coming "Change of Habit") - each one of them costs about 1/2 ABFT price + shipping costs.
Or Erik Lorentzen's boxset on recording sessions (more expensive than ABFT + shipping costs) and it still got 2nd run, so yes... there is still demand.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:09 pm

Greg1995 wrote:
Barry wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Maybe.. but there are still great, expensive, hard-core fan FTD books
by David English being produced (like recent" Rock Around The Bloch" or soon coming "Change of Habit") - each one of them costs about 1/2 ABFT price + shipping costs.
Or Erik Lorentzen's boxset on recording sessions (more expensive than ABFT + shipping costs) and it still got 2nd run, so yes... there is still demand.

OK, Hopefully Ernst & Sony will have a look and give the idea some thought, as they said at one time -------only 1000 copies of The Complete Masters granted with serial number, however they had no problem running off a second edition.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Dnorman90 wrote:Id settle for a smaller version, but make it a 4 disc set with a dvd of TV performances and the tupelo shows. Also add the wire recording of "I forgot to remember". I'd take that over a huge book any day. :lol:

But the TV shows and the Tupelo shows weren't during the Sun era.

Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:35 pm

chop983 wrote:
Dnorman90 wrote:Id settle for a smaller version, but make it a 4 disc set with a dvd of TV performances and the tupelo shows. Also add the wire recording of "I forgot to remember". I'd take that over a huge book any day. :lol:

But the TV shows and the Tupelo shows weren't during the Sun era.

Yeah, you're right there. I'm just seeing it as an early years box, perfect lead in to YMWTBB.