Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:04 am

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_ ... y_2012.htm

I wondered if any of you have bought or read this large book (which is written in Italian)?
I received my copy today, and on first glance it's an excellent reference and reading work, very well done.
Nearly 800 pages! It's the size of one of the largest Elvis Files books, but paperback.

The other question is this: to those of you who've seen it, or already bought it, would an English language version be welcome?

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:18 am

JaneTLC wrote:http://www.elvisinfonet.com/bookreview_eic_italy_2012.htm

I wondered if any of you have bought or read this large book (which is written in Italian)?
I received my copy today, and on first glance it's an excellent reference and reading work, very well done.
Nearly 800 pages! It's the size of one of the largest Elvis Files books, but paperback.

The other question is this: to those of you who've seen it, or already bought it, would an English language version be welcome?


Parli Italiano ?

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:04 am

Yes, I do.
I also translate and know the author, but it's a HUGE book :shock:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:13 am

Perhaps it is the first book about Elvis 70`s concerts which has all dates straight.

One condition is not to just copy what others wrote..... :wink:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:27 am

Copy what?
There are concert reviews from papers and sources of the time, and a few interviews with people who attended.
Dates are dates, and can't be 'copied'.
The other information regarding how he got to venues etc, who he was with and other incidents reported, reflections and comments are the author's own, I would imagine.
I think it's an amazing piece of work, putting it all down in order and tidily, with extra info added to each event.

Why the wink, ciscoking?

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:38 am

JaneTLC wrote:Why the wink, ciscoking?

He might have something in his eye. Or he could just be a bit of a winker.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:18 am

I understand zero Italian but I would love to see some photos of this book. Anyone?

I am a proud owner of "The Concert Years 1969-1977" by Stein Erik Skar. That is a great book for sure. It would be interesting to read a similar book with updated information plus reviews/scans of every soundboard CD ever released.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:47 am

Ciscoking wrote:Perhaps it is the first book about Elvis 70`s concerts which has all dates straight.

One condition is not to just copy what others wrote..... :wink:


ah`! :shock: if it mentions lake tahoe may 74 CORRECTLY then i will buy a copy!~ :wink: :roll:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:11 pm

Garfield wrote:
JaneTLC wrote:Why the wink, ciscoking?

He might have something in his eye. Or he could just be a bit of a winker.

I like double meanings....

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:44 pm

YDKM wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:Perhaps it is the first book about Elvis 70`s concerts which has all dates straight.

One condition is not to just copy what others wrote..... :wink:


ah`! :shock: if it mentions lake tahoe may 74 CORRECTLY then i will buy a copy!~ :wink: :roll:


What do you bet..?.... :wink:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:42 pm

There are two reasons I'm asking.
One: I am interested in your collective opinion of the book, as experts. It looks good to me, but I am not an ├╝ber fan with a fanatical desire to know every single thing about Elvis. I enjoy, and I know enough for me.
From what I have read it is well written (in Italian) and has been put together with scrupulous attention to detail.
Two : I have been tentatively contacted re a possible translation for a wider market. Despite the mammoth proportions of the book, at nearly 800 mostly-text pages, this is tempting, but there would need to be the possibility of it being a good seller to cover the work involved and the printing and distribution.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:06 pm

I would buy it in English, certainly. I trust Nigel's review enough. If possible slight faults can be corrected/updated (as is the case with every book on Elvis: no perfect book with 100% accurate information exists), it would be even better. I would say, if you have the opportunity and willingness to translate this, JaneTLC: go for it. Perhaps it could become the new standard for printed information about Elvis' concerts?

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm with James on this.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:27 pm

I do have the book since I understand Italian. The book is mammoth and full of info (mostly correct - though like others before him, the author assumes the bootleg artwork's photo is from the show on tape). For each year, the author gives an overview. For each tour / vegas / tahoe we have an overview, what the papers said (for tour shows this is for almost all shows), musicians, setlist, jumpsuit, attendance, show length and on what bootleg the show is found. Info on Vegas and Tahoe is incomplete since bootlegs and photos are sparse for these engagements. Few photos are spread over the book,plus two 14 bw/colour inserts (one for the 1955-1961 period the other for 1969-1977). Interestingly, we have a US map for each touring year with number of shows per state. The book is in italian except for the setlist, locations, and jumpsuit names. It's a very good book - If you know the lingo get it!

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:30 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:I understand zero Italian but I would love to see some photos of this book. Anyone?

I am a proud owner of "The Concert Years 1969-1977" by Stein Erik Skar. That is a great book for sure. It would be interesting to read a similar book with updated information plus reviews/scans of every soundboard CD ever released.



It's very different from Skar's book. This is mainly for reading, photos are few but the data is immense - setlists, reviews for most shows

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:09 pm

JaneTLC wrote:Copy what?
There are concert reviews from papers and sources of the time, and a few interviews with people who attended.
Dates are dates, and can't be 'copied'.
The other information regarding how he got to venues etc, who he was with and other incidents reported, reflections and comments are the author's own, I would imagine.
I think it's an amazing piece of work, putting it all down in order and tidily, with extra info added to each event.

Why the wink, ciscoking?



He meant that incorrect dates are copied from one book to another.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:10 pm

medleyofcostumes wrote:I do have the book since I understand Italian. The book is mammoth and full of info (mostly correct - though like others before him, the author assumes the bootleg artwork's photo is from the show on tape). For each year, the author gives an overview. For each tour / vegas / tahoe we have an overview, what the papers said (for tour shows this is for almost all shows), musicians, setlist, jumpsuit, attendance, show length and on what bootleg the show is found. Info on Vegas and Tahoe is incomplete since bootlegs and photos are sparse for these engagements. Few photos are spread over the book,plus two 14 bw/colour inserts (one for the 1955-1961 period the other for 1969-1977). Interestingly, we have a US map for each touring year with number of shows per state. The book is in italian except for the setlist, locations, and jumpsuit names. It's a very good book - If you know the lingo get it!


Al that sounds very familiar.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:54 pm

Francesc wrote:Al that sounds very familiar.

would you explain, what you mean with that, francesc?
do you know the author sebastiano cecere or were you involved in the preparations/making of this italian "concert bible"?

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 am

I know Sebastiano. We traded many many newspaper reviews, that supposedly they were not going to be on a book ....

Do they tell you thing like the band members suit colors ?

It will be interesting to see some pages.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:33 am

Francesc wrote:
medleyofcostumes wrote:I do have the book since I understand Italian. The book is mammoth and full of info (mostly correct - though like others before him, the author assumes the bootleg artwork's photo is from the show on tape). For each year, the author gives an overview. For each tour / vegas / tahoe we have an overview, what the papers said (for tour shows this is for almost all shows), musicians, setlist, jumpsuit, attendance, show length and on what bootleg the show is found. Info on Vegas and Tahoe is incomplete since bootlegs and photos are sparse for these engagements. Few photos are spread over the book,plus two 14 bw/colour inserts (one for the 1955-1961 period the other for 1969-1977). Interestingly, we have a US map for each touring year with number of shows per state. The book is in italian except for the setlist, locations, and jumpsuit names. It's a very good book - If you know the lingo get it!


Al that sounds very familiar.


Actually, It does. I did not mention it myself though. Let's say it is very similar to your website (minus the pictures of course). No mention of musician's suit colours, and some mistakes appear in both book and website. Mmmmm :shock:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:42 am

hmm really does sound interesting for a concert buff like me!~ maybe on my shopping list by the end of the month? :wink:

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:44 am

I could do without original newspaper reviews in any future concert years book. Generally, those reviews were very sloppy affairs, and they are very similar to each other. It makes for tedious reading. I'd rather read in-depth reviews of the shows/tours by a knowledgeable fan like... Piers. I think the original reviews we already have in "The Concert Years 1969-1977" are enough.

I'm sure that someday, someone will write a new book (in English) about the concert years. Actually I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet since that period is so popular among fans. I wish the design would look something like "Bootleg Elvis".

I'm going to tell Santa about this right now.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:41 pm

medleyofcostumes wrote:
Actually, It does. I did not mention it myself though. Let's say it is very similar to your website (minus the pictures of course). No mention of musician's suit colours, and some mistakes appear in both book and website. Mmmmm :shock:


When the site was copied also the bugs were copied. Its easy to find out.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:45 pm

OK, I am taking this all in, but not having a huge collection myself it's impossible for me to compare with previous publications of this particular type.
A number of people are mentioned in thanks at the start of the book, including Ger Rijff, Joseph Pirzada, Joe Tunzi, and you, Francesc. Are you unaware of this?
Photo thanks are also given to a number of people (including two of the names above again).

There are almost four full pages on Lake Tahoe, July 20 - August 2, 1971. Nine set lists (plus other info) are included in the information, but eight shows have no info apart from show times. Costumes worn are only listed for opening night and August 1.
See, I have no idea if this stuff has already been published or not, but the book does cover every single concert, live show or radio show he appeared in, starting from 1944.

The last thing I wanted to do was create any bad feeling, or provide a basis for anyone to hint at plagiarism. I am just trying to find out if an English version would be worth the considerable time and effort that it would involve.

Re: Book: Elvis in Concert 1945-1977

Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 pm

There is just over a page on Tahoe in October, 1974.