Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: great fan betty page

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:23 am

lvs4evr wrote:for many years i have had a hard time tracking down betty paige book ELVIS I GOT YA and for years i have read and heard the same thing that it was due to fans like her that ELVIS was unable to go anywhere , not one who read her book i wonder why this was said can anyone who has a copy of the book explain or tell us about her book .

Elvis took his bike, got out of his mansion and was free as a bird many times, way up until '77.
He couldn't show up on crowded places, true.. but I'm sure he didn't really want to either.

Don't know the book btw.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:32 am

I bought the book from one of the original shops across from Graceland, on my first visit there, in '82.

For a little over a year, Betty was among the gate groupies that would spend virtually all their free time staking out the mansion, waiting for Elvis to come out. When he appeared, in a car, on a trike or a motorcycle, these people would take off in hot pursuit. When he arrived at his destination, the movies or perhaps the Jewish Community Center, where he regularly played racquetball, they would wait patiently until he left for home, at which point they would renew the chase.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:17 am

There are some rare photos in the book. Ironically, she didn't take them. She had trouble working a camera. After many failed attempts, she snapped what she thought would be a great picture. That's when she screamed, "I Got Ya Elvis, I Got Ya!"

It's a lightweight, enjoyable book, but it always made me wonder what Elvis really thought about these folks.

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:24 am

lvs4evr wrote:for many years i have had a hard time tracking down betty paige book ELVIS I GOT YA and for years i have read and heard the same thing that it was due to fans like her that ELVIS was unable to go anywhere , not one who read her book i wonder why this was said can anyone who has a copy of the book explain or tell us about her book .

It's not so hard to find. Here's one on eBay for $20.00 -->

http://cgi.ebay.com/Got-Ya-Elvis-Got-Ya-Betty-Page-713055-/370388289531

The book?

Betty Page was one of the more obsessed fans who hung around the Graceland gates in the late 70s.

Her self-published, 1978 chronicle of that life, I Got Ya, Elvis, I Got Ya !, offers absolutely mind-blowing prose.

Don't miss it!

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Her self-published, 1978 chronicle of that life, I Got Ya, Elvis, I Got Ya !, offers absolutely mind-blowing prose.

"Mind-blowing prose" in a good or bad way?

Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:58 am

8) :lol: I didn't I just bought it! thanks for the Link!~ 8) :wink:

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:20 am

Ahh, Betty Page

Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:46 am

TJ wrote:"Mind-blowing prose" in a good or bad way?

The title is a clue...

Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:"Mind-blowing prose" in a good or bad way?

The title is a clue...

Thought so :lol:

Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:08 am

Ahh, Betty Page

I'd turn her page anytime :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:39 pm

I would thumb her page and then dip my pen in the inkwell!!! :D

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:50 pm

TONY wrote:I would thumb her page and then dip my pen in the inkwell!!! :D

:smt023

Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:03 pm

If this notorious Betty was the Betty Page of the book authoring I'm sure Elvis would have been easier to get

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:02 pm

8) Just recieved this book and its 'great' rare pictures from 76/77 and a lengthy text and a rarther nice fans view in A5 format. Certainly worth it for the photos alone! :roll: :lol:

Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:29 pm

wow!!this sounds like a very interesting read!!I always had an interest on talking to fans that go to extremes for their idol!Im sure she was very in love with him. Kind makes me wonder how would I have reacted if ever saw Britney Spears back in the old days when I had an "obssesion-die hard crush" with her :smt007 :smt007 Dont know if i do the same with Elvis.[dream sequence begins-I would took a photo of him or with him (yeah right!!) and say "rock on"-dream sequence ends]

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:24 am

8) Welli have now read this book and during its 72 pages it recounts as fan Betty spent most of her time hanging around the Graceland gates(at weekends) and also her friends pictures & memories seeing Elvis in concert at Long Beach,Vegas and FINALLY (for Betty) Memphis July 5th 1976. She talked often with gate guardsmen, charlie Hodge etc and spent a simply RIDICULOUS amount of time seeing Elvis come + go from Graceland whilst she watched, its a very sincere book, but (i doubt) if i'd lived in memphis i would have had the stamina to hang around Graceland all weekend!!! certainly a most interesting book to have, though and another one of the seemingly hundreds of Elvis books now filling up my bookshelves for reference at home!!! :smt001

Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:35 am

YDKM wrote:8) Welli have now read this book and during its 72 pages it recounts as fan Betty spent most of her time hanging around the Graceland gates(at weekends) and also her friends pictures & memories seeing Elvis in concert at Long Beach,Vegas and FINALLY (for Betty) Memphis July 5th 1976.

She talked often with gate guardsmen, charlie Hodge etc and spent a simply RIDICULOUS amount of time seeing Elvis come + go from Graceland whilst she watched ...

And some still wonder why Elvis used to say, "They gotta be crazy, actin' like that ..."

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:14 pm

:? Yes your quote is CORRECT Dr Carpener the freezing conditions of waiting around for so many HOURS and a 'condition' which nowadays would be albe to be sued in court for 'STALKING' amount to a desperate read! like when the title of the WHOLE BOOK arrives she simply points an instamatic camera in HER OWN FACE blows it up with the camera flash pointed at HERSELF and says "I Got Ya,Elvis,I Got Ya!" THAT 'event' in ITSELF should certify her as INSANE!? but still i'm very, VERY glad i bought the book and THANKS AGAIN for the ebay link Dr Carpenter! as the WHOLE story(undoubtably GENINUE) AND pictures MAKE the purchase WORTHWHILE-even though i'm glad i never met Betty Page and her (obvioudly) LONG SUFFERING husband James Page!!!!! :roll: :oops: :?:

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:24 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:
TONY wrote:I would thumb her page and then dip my pen in the inkwell!!! :D

:smt023

You guys are pigs! :wink: :D

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:34 am

The cover picture on the book is from Aneheim November 30th 1976 and (believe me) after thoroughly reading this book over the weekend it IS a great genuine book to have with excellent candids(especially the April 3rd 1976 ones!)a great story all about Elvis spending Easter 1976 with Lisa Marie at Graceland in April and many other unknown story's of Elvis at Crosstown, Racket balls court at the university in Memphis and many other great candid pictures, sure the middle aged woman WAS completely insane and obsessed(a STALKER)but a lovely genuine account well worth reading from her year from July 1975-July 1976 watching Elvis's every move in Memphis!~ :shock:
cost a LOT more to buy this book now on ebay!!!
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Got-Ya-Elvis-Pre ... 2ea84f120b
or on Amazon you can buy a very good condition copy for 46 pounds 25 pence!~ :smt006