Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Bumping in Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Fri May 02, 2003 11:03 am

I'm curious about the bumping in "Are you lonesome tonight?"
In Bill Porter's article on Recording Elvis (http://www.elvis-collectors.com/porter.html) and
in the Peter Guralnick's book "Last Train to Memphis"¡°Careless Love",
Bill Porter insists that ¡°Listen to the recording on a high-quality playback system,
and you'll hear Elvis bumping into a microphone stand.

1. Does the bumping sound exist in the master take(take5+ ending of unknown take)?

2. If so, where is the exact location of bumping?

3. What is the "clicking(??)"sound audible at some
point in talking part, between 1 min 40 sec and
1 min 50 sec in the master take.
It can be heard after elvis saying "my sweet heart", but absent in take 2.
I think it's probably from the guitar.

4. How many takes did Elvis record for the song?

5. When it comes to later takes for master,
there's some difference between Bill Porter and
Peter Guralnick.
In Bill Porter's article, "....Let's do just the ending, 'cause the Jordanaires made a
mistake."
Elvis agreed, so they did just the ending, a couple of chords back.
But in Peter Guralnick's book, Steve Sholes said " The the Jordanaires made a mistake,
and I'd like to get one good take all the way through."
So they did that, and became the master, right up to the final bar.
I am wondering which is right, complete takes or just the ending.

I'had posted the same message a couple of month ago, but no answers then.
I send the same question to Graceland, but they didn't know the first thing about it.

Thanks in advance.
Have a Happy,
Hound_Dog

Fri May 02, 2003 11:16 am

When I first bought "50 Wordwide Hits" when it first came out this bump sound annoyed me. It is at the end of the song about 2mins 33 secs. Just before he says "If you won't come back to me".
It is hard to find on the Cds I have listened to, I think they have worked on this but I think I have heard it on a CD can't remember which one.
When I first heard this I thought it was a problem with the pressing, but other versions that I got were the same.

P.S. I just listened to a few Cds and it is very hard to pick up, because I know where it was I can hear it a little but it isn't as bad as it used to be.

If any of that makes sense to anyone.

Fri May 02, 2003 5:20 pm

You might be right woodley. I thought it was near the end. I was going off bad memory. I don't notice it on Cds like I did on Vinyl.

P.S.
But I just turned up the volume(Now I'm alone) and the only bump I notice is at the 2.33 part.

:twisted:

Fri May 02, 2003 6:22 pm

Hound Dog -

It's not my theory, but someone once wrote that the 'clicking' sound is the guitarist losing his plectrum through the guitar hole !

Colin B

Fri May 02, 2003 7:10 pm

Yeah Colin.

The Doc should be able to verify this but my understanding is that it was Scotty who performed the final guitar "strum" of this tune.
Apparently, as you say, he loses a pick through the sound hole
- it is the sound of the pick landing that you hear just before that final guitar "strum".
I can't remember where I heard / read that but I think it may have been on this MB at one time.