Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:48 am

Yeah. And the fog was most likely there the minute you recieved the CDs. It can't have anything to do with how you store your CDs as I have only ever seen the fog on Sony releases, none of my other CDs are focked... I mean fogged.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:00 am

I think we're all fogged.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:18 am

:mrgreen:

Man, this is horrible.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:43 am

Can this be a room temperture problem?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:15 pm

Well, no.

1) I store all my CDs in a normal room
2) Only CDs from Sony are affected
3) I know at least some of the CDs were foggy even before they reached me
4) It can't be just a glue thing as also CDs stored in jewel cases are foggy

My theory is that the fog somehow sneaks into the CDs in the manufacturing process!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:28 pm

And all of this is just ANOTHER reason why I will never give up my vinyl!!! Even my 54 year old original pressing of "Elvis Presley" doesn't have any fog on it.

T

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 am

terbon4 wrote:And all of this is just ANOTHER reason why I will never give up my vinyl!!! Even my 54 year old original pressing of "Elvis Presley" doesn't have any fog on it.

T

Neither does anyone of my FTD:s...

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:15 pm

[quote="KiwiAlan"
could this be the problem...over protection?[/quote]

I always use protection! :wink:

Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:18 pm

I have 'fog' on my "I found my thrill" CD. :( Did anyone have problems with the old Fort Baxter CD "Walk a mile in my shoes"? (The opening show from January 1970). That one wouldn't play after a couple of years and if you held it up to the light, you could see thru it!

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:51 pm

TONY wrote:I have 'fog' on my "I found my thrill" CD. :( Did anyone have problems with the old Fort Baxter CD "Walk a mile in my shoes"? (The opening show from January 1970).
That one wouldn't play after a couple of years and if you held it up to the light, you could see thru it!

For legal reasons, it was made to self-destruct over that time scale.............................

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:03 am

TONY wrote:I have 'fog' on my "I found my thrill" CD. :( Did anyone have problems with the old Fort Baxter CD "Walk a mile in my shoes"? (The opening show from January 1970). That one wouldn't play after a couple of years and if you held it up to the light, you could see thru it!

...same here, the "fog" is on my copy of "I Found My Thrill" but is still playable... and my copy of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" is trash... as now is also my copy of FTD "Let Yourself Go" neither will play. :(

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:16 am

JEFF d wrote:
TONY wrote:I have 'fog' on my "I found my thrill" CD. :( Did anyone have problems with the old Fort Baxter CD "Walk a mile in my shoes"? (The opening show from January 1970). That one wouldn't play after a couple of years and if you held it up to the light, you could see thru it!

...same here, the "fog" is on my copy of "I Found My Thrill" but is still playable... and my copy of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes" is trash... as now is also my copy of FTD "Let Yourself Go" neither will play. :(

JEFF d
EP fan

That's a shame. Has anyone contacted Sony about this issue? BMG was the parent company or partner with Sony at the time most of these releases were issued, but now Sony will be responsible for any product liabilities. My "Let Yourself Go" looks quite bad with "fog" and slight "crystalization" on the playing surface - it still plays, but it looks pretty bad. Most of my FTD titles are stored properly and get very little playing as I listen to most of my FTDs via iTunes and on iPods. It is distrubing to see so many of them with markings on the playing surfaces.

I'm not surprised people are having issues with bootleg CDs, but FTD should be held to a much higher standard for its materials and production.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:19 am

Well, I don't expect anyone will answer our questions. Like I said the fog has appeared on other Sony releases too, not just Elvis CDs. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about. And it would be impossible for Sony to replace all these CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:25 am

My copy of Let Yourself Go has some sporadic surface markings (like I had previously touched it with faint residue from wallpaper paste on my finger tips), but I gave the entire cd a spin yesterday after reading some of the posts in this thread and it played with no skips or clicks. My copy of I Found My Thrill appears to be in good nick, but I will give it a listen at some point just to be sure, but I am nervous about the prospect of problems. :(

I have looked at several of my discs and the surfaces of the first FTD releases are as shiny and scratch-free as they were in 1999...

This is really getting me down - I treat all of my cds like babies, and it's high time we had a response from those behind the FTD label. Whatever excitement should have been derived from the announcement of the HGTA set has been overtaken by the grim possibility that the discs may be unplayable in ten years!

Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:47 am

I wiped "I Found My Thrill" with a cd cleaning cloth, fog remains but now it plays ok. None of the classic albums seem to have any problems, I switched all of them upside down just in case.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Well, I don't expect anyone will answer our questions. Like I said the fog has appeared on other Sony releases too, not just Elvis CDs. Hopefully it is nothing to worry about. And it would be impossible for Sony to replace all these CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

If it was a wide-spread problem with playability, yes, Sony ultimately would have to act.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:06 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Hopefully it is nothing to worry about.

Well we can´t ignore some of us reported already playability problems. I really consider not to buy FTD anymore until some explanation has been given. They´re expensive enough.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:24 pm

midnightx wrote:If it was a wide-spread problem with playability, yes, Sony ultimately would have to act.

Let's say the fog was going to ruin 15 FTD titles in the future. And each title sells about 5000 copies. That's 75 000 CDs they would have to replace. I just can't see that. So I am sticking my head deep in the sand and trying to convince myself that the fog is our friend, nothing bad is going to happen, we will be able to play our "Out In Hollywood" FTDs forever!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:58 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
midnightx wrote:If it was a wide-spread problem with playability, yes, Sony ultimately would have to act.

Let's say the fog was going to ruin 15 FTD titles in the future. And each title sells about 5000 copies. That's 75 000 CDs they would have to replace. I just can't see that. So I am sticking my head deep in the sand and trying to convince myself that the fog is our friend, nothing bad is going to happen, we will be able to play our "Out In Hollywood" FTDs forever!

Keith Richards, Jr.

If someone lauches a class-action suit, they will have to respond. Consumers have spent large sums of money of this specialty/premium product - and if it is truly defective, Sony will have to act. You also need to realize how cheaply Sony can churn out discs - they wouldn't be replacing artwork and covers - they would be pressing new discs with music that is already mastered and that has readily available to be pressed.

Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:36 pm

I hope you're right. If nothing else, it would be nice to hear something from Ernst or some other fellow at Sony... it would be nice to know what this stuff is. Like you say we have spent huge amounts of money on these releases.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:28 pm

VOC wrote:I wiped "I Found My Thrill" with a cd cleaning cloth, fog remains but now it plays ok.

I tried that with From Elvis In Memphis............... now it plays Dusty Springfield .....................

Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

I have examined every FTD I have which are all releases up through 2009 and there are 2 issues here. One is a cloudiness that exists deep within the disc that so far doesn't affect playability. The other is a glaze that you can feel which is not smooth and may even have sticky areas on the disc. The only disc that was like that was I Found My Thrill. I took a scratch free cloth and cleaned it with dove dish soap and now it is fine. Interestingly for some reason I had 2 copies of I Found My Thrill still sealed. Both had the glaze. One had the sticky glaze and that one wouldn't play. The other had glaze that wasn't so bad and would play. I washed both. The glaze disappeared and now they both play fine.

Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Maybe Lene Reidel was involved in the PRESSING of the discs too??!!! :twisted:

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:17 am

TONY wrote:Maybe Lene Reidel was involved in the PRESSING of the discs too??!!! :twisted:

Wel,l are not all the FTD's are made by TOCANO.

Does Sony manufacture any other CD's at TOCANO, I don't think so.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am

As I predicted, we didn't solve this mystery. Too bad! I would have liked an explanation from someone who knows...

Keith Richards, Jr.