Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:39 am

You can add me to the list. I just checked my "I Found My Thrill" and it has two large cloudy areas on it. I ripped it while it still plays.

I also took a soft cloth with a little bit of alcohol and it cleaned off. I'll have to watch it and see what it does.

I had the same issue with a couple of my DAE discs, but this is the first time I've had this a regular release.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 am

So.. why is no one listening to me? Again, this exact same thing can also be found on other, non-FTD, non-digipak CDs like "Crying" by Roy Orbison and "Tomorrow Is A Long Time" by Elvis. So it is not exclusive to FTD releases.

This is not classic CD rot. CDs that became unplayable due to CD rot were pressed by one single plant, PDO or POD or whatever they were called, and they had a brown color on the silver side. Also some bootlegs were affected by this. I have never heard of other CDs that have become unplayable.

The fog does look weird, though, and it would be nice to get an explanation and a guarantee that they will be alright, considering how much money we've all spent and will continue to spend on these CDs.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:29 am

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:So.. why is no one listening to me?

Like you said
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:it would be nice to get an explanation and a guarantee that they will be alright, considering how much money we've all spent and will continue to spend on these CDs.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Yeah. Let's hope for a statment from Ernst.

For what it's worth, I simply refuse to do CDR backups of my CDs. I can't be bothered. It's boring and time consuming.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Yeah. Let's hope for a statment from Ernst.

For what it's worth, I simply refuse to do CDR backups of my CDs. I can't be bothered. It's boring and time consuming.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well, if a backup is the solution, why bother with buying the CD's in the first place then ? Then I'd rather download them !! :mrgreen:

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Well said, Flash! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:42 pm

In my opinion:
Burning a CD-R copy is a waste of time. CD-R is in inferior quality compared to a silver disc.
When I've burned copies of factory pressed CDs the sound becomes slightly inferior to the original.
Why bother to burn a copy which don't have the exact same sound quality of the original?

I know, I'm a knitpicker, but I call myself an audiophile.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:51 pm

When I've burned copies of factory pressed CDs the sound becomes slightly inferior to the original.

This incorrect assertion can be disproved mathematically.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:19 pm

elvissessions wrote:

This incorrect assertion can be disproved mathematically.

I don't either understand how it could be inferior. It's data that's copied to a another medium. To my understanding if it would sound different it would mean that the data changed somehow in the process. Would love to see proper comparision between CD and CD-R though.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:51 pm

Well, to begin with, simple logic tells us the data must match.

A computer doesn't know the difference between a song and any other piece of software.

If the data didn't match, then programs pulled from CD-ROMs would just be crashing all the time as they ran into bad data.

Obviously, that's not the case.

Data that are transferred accurately to a CD-ROM are just as accurate as the original, and good programs exist to ensure that a transfer is accurate.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:10 pm

I'm In the middle of transferring everything I've got to my hard drive ( 2 Tb ) mostly in wave files but some lesser quality cds in Mp3s. Just today I tried to rip In A Private Moment and errors come up all over the place in Eac. Db Poweramp rips the cd but all files show inaccurate, and when I play the files there is a clicking noise throughout. The cd itself looks in pristine condition but obviously there is a problem although it plays fine through my Marantz Dv7001.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:25 pm

memphisflash wrote:

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well, if a backup is the solution, why bother with buying the CD's in the first place then ? Then I'd rather download them !! :mrgreen:

Exactly we pay good money for quality product so the disc should last! If this appears not to be the case I won't buy them anymore.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:01 pm

administrator wrote:Hi there,

Someone mentioned to me through e-mail some FTDs ( mostly 2006 releases ) may have problems that appears on their surface ( some kind of mist blur ). The following would be most likely a possible problem :

Digipack

Southern Nights
Made In Memphis
Let Yourself Go
I Found My Thrill

Classic albums

Loving You
Clambake

I just checked out mine. '' Southern Nights '' , '' Made In Memphis '' and '' Let Yourself Go '' all have some mist blur appearing on them. '' I Found My Thrill '' is a disaster, a lot of it and even looks like there's ice crystals forming all over it. I can play the CD but there's several skips already on it . I'm playing it now and have problems on all the first 7 tracks. It looks like the whole CD will be good for garbage.

If you check yours I'll be curious to find out what's happening with other copies all over the world.

Take care,

The Administrator

P.S. My CD almost skipped completely '' Sweet Caroline '' and having a hard time to keep playing. :shock:

I visually checked the above cds quickly last night and my disc2 of Loving You is very badly fogged. :cry: :cry: Some of the other cds not as bad :cry: and others not at all.

Someone at FTD should address these concerns and make some kind of statement.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:09 pm

It has to be a manufacturing defect. A cheap one at that! Too early for any kind of CD rot In my opinion.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:22 pm

elbo51 wrote:I visually checked the above cds quickly last night and my disc2 of Loving You is very badly fogged. :cry: :cry:

Does it still play? So far I have the idea only administrator has problems playing I Found My Thrill. Many others have foggy Cd's that still play though.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:38 pm

buddy holly wrote:
elbo51 wrote:I visually checked the above cds quickly last night and my disc2 of Loving You is very badly fogged. :cry: :cry:

Does it still play? So far I have the idea only administrator has problems playing I Found My Thrill. Many others have foggy Cd's that still play though.

I didn't have time to try playing any. Will do so as soon as I can and report back.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:49 pm

buddy holly wrote:

I have exactly the same issue with "I Found My Thrill" - fog all over it and while playing it skips several times during "Sweet Caroline" - although rest of the CD seems to be fine. On couple of others there's some fogginess, but very little. 6363 Sunset had some but it plays ok throughout. Haven't tested the others yet, but most of them seem to be ok. Also haven't checked out the classic albums yet.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:46 pm

administrator wrote:Do you have a foggy FTD ?

No. Sadly, my copies of New Haven and America work perfectly :smt002

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm

same here. "Let yourself" go is the worst of the above mentionned list.
but no skipping problems.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:57 am

:shock: , just had a look at some of the mentioned cd`s, and yes they all more or less has this "fog" on them. One of these days I will put on the "Hard" work and have a listen to all of my FTD cd`s to see how they actually plays. I put most on the pc(And listen from there) and therefor rarely play the cd`s, but I have them stored in a perfectly safe way in plastic sleves, no sun etc.

Thanks for putting spot on this ::rocks

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:21 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
administrator wrote:Do you have a foggy FTD ?

No. Sadly, my copies of New Haven and America work perfectly :smt002

Yes, if there were ever two CDs worthy of CD rot, those two would be strong contenders....

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:27 am

Agree!

Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:48 am

Have just checked all my FTD CD's and have no fog or rot. They are pristine.

As each individual disc we all have would have came from the same run.(assuming we bought them when they first came out) then the problems must arise from when you get them home. The only variables would be temperature and storage.

Just a thought, mine either sit on a shelf or in a box. I do not take any particular care.

No wrapping in special plastc, etc...... could this be the problem...over protection?

Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:22 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Have just checked all my FTD CD's and have no fog or rot. They are pristine.

As each individual disc we all have would have came from the same run.(assuming we bought them when they first came out) then the problems must arise from when you get them home. The only variables would be temperature and storage.

Just a thought, mine either sit on a shelf or in a box. I do not take any particular care.

No wrapping in special plastc, etc...... could this be the problem...over protection?

Most FTD collectors take very good care of their releases and store them properly. If the majority is experiencing issues with the appearance (and in some cases playability) of their discs, the problem goes deeper than storage.

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:49 am

I store FTD cd's the same away as all my other cd's (which do not have problems) upright on a shelf away from direct sun light.