Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:44 pm

HI there!! :D :D :D.

Mike C wrote:I would try using a cd cleaner solution and cd spinner. I have one I bought several years ago. Since the discs still play I am fine with not having it completely clean.

Do your cds still play, Mike?

Yes, they still play but I hate that foggy blemish :x. Will try to clean it with cd cleaner solution, hope it works but I doubt it....Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:28 pm

Hopefully the fog will be OK. I have some DVDs (mostly Paramount ones) that fogged up 8 or 9 years ago, and they're still playing OK. It's the bronzing or other visible rot that hopefully will never happen to an FTD. Although I guess it'd be hard to sell a foggy FTD on the used market.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:16 pm

It is disappointing that this issue continues.

While I don't have those book/cd combo's mentioned, I certainly sympathize with you all, as it is very distressing.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:25 pm

this will wipe off you may have to go hard with cotton wool but it will come back if you put them back in case i have only got this prob on the 4 stated it has come of for me also on there always me
disc which i have had to put them in jewl case

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:56 am

Mike, just curious regarding your copy of Disc 1 of Fashion for a King. Near the end of track 1, is there a slight flutter in the words "very much" when Elvis says Thank you very much for the 2nd time? It sounds like a digital tape error.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:39 pm

My foggy FTD

Sweet, comic FTD.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:31 pm

I used alcohol substance once, at first it seemed to remove some of the fog. But suddenly the whole disc crumbled in my hands. Bits and pieces of aluminium and plastic.. The alcohol just kinda burned through it. Bye, bye, music.

Be careful with alcohol, boys! :wink: Better drink it instead of pouring it onto your FTD!

Too hot water also doesn't seem to be a good idea, the thing can become unglued.

Why the hell don't they bring something onto the market that is unscratchable, unfogg-able, just plain durable?

All this fog-business is one big commercial for cheap downloading, which is sad and will eventually kill the FTD label.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mike C wrote:Mike, just curious regarding your copy of Disc 1 of Fashion for a King. Near the end of track 1, is there a slight flutter in the words "very much" when Elvis says Thank you very much for the 2nd time? It sounds like a digital tape error.

I have just checked my copy and my cd does the same as yours and in the same place, so you don't have to be worry about having a faulty cd :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:44 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mike C wrote:Mike, just curious regarding your copy of Disc 1 of Fashion for a King. Near the end of track 1, is there a slight flutter in the words "very much" when Elvis says Thank you very much for the 2nd time? It sounds like a digital tape error.

I have just checked my copy and my cd does the same as yours and in the same place, so you don't have to be worry about having a faulty cd :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thanks, Mike!

Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:56 am

Just a quick update. Took my copy of Elvis Presley which I purchased in 2006 down from the shelf and both discs are showing the film starting from the outside in. Hope others are not having this issue.

Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:07 pm

It is really sad and incredible the poor service of the Sony and Ftd executives. And with an expensive price. For me Ftd is part of the past. For that reason and others I sold all my Ftd collection.
Another important reason? Yes. More quantity than quality. 140+ releases in 16 years. Maybe with two de luxe boxes every year we can have 32 gems covering all the best Elvis legacy. With audiophile sound and without mistakes and poor product but expensive.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:46 am

A foggy day in FTD town... had me low.. it also had me down... I viewed the morning with much alarm... my FTD museum... had lost its charm... :)

Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:20 pm

FTD = FAIR TRASH DISC. Disapoinment

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:08 pm

Mit....Sad but true. You are 100% right. What a pity!!!! Ftd is a mediocre product with expensive price. Its not easy that quantity and quality can walk together.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Clambake, you are right. Look the dylan bootleg series in sony

Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:46 pm

Mit wrote:Clambake, you are right. Look the dylan bootleg series in sony

Yes, let's look at the Bootleg Series. Bob Dylan has over 35 studio albums (not counting various compilations and live projects), and only 3-4 bootleg series releases have "expanded" any of those album sessions in any significant fashion, often combining multiple albums into one release.

Volume 8: consists of 2-3 discs (depending on the configuration) of material spanning Oh Mercy, World Gone Wrong, Time Out Of Mind, and Modern Times.
Volume 10: consists of 2 discs of studio material spanning Self Portrait and New Morning.
Volume 11: consists of 2-6 discs (depending on the configuration) of most of the Basement Tapes with The Band.
Volume 12: consists of 2-18 discs (depending on the configuration) of material from Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited, and Blonde On Blonde.

The other volumes are either live sets, a demo set, or compilations of material similar to many early FTD titles (such as Long Lonely Highway, So High, Fame And Fortune, Jungle Room Sessions, etc).

Bob Dylan's Bootleg Series is a treasure trove of riches, and the series continues to evolve and offer a lot of material per release, but to insinuate that it eclipses FTD is a fallacy. Nearly every traditional Elvis Presley studio album has been expanded to two discs, loaded with session material from each respective session. In comparison, the Bootleg Series has 3 volumes that divides content between 9 albums (not including the Basement Tapes release). FTD has produced more archival content than any other collector's label. If one wants to complain about quality control (typos, the occasional mastering error), those gripes are certainly valid within context and reason. If one wants to complain about "foggy" discs, that is fine as well -- although, it isn't as FTD was aware that certain materials would breakdown and simply chose to use them regardless in some sort of malicious deed. But as far as content goes, FTD has largely done tremendous work.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 pm

The problem here is us. Elvis fans and our indulgence. Ftd is a poor way of many many releases and very little stellar or de luxe product. The only exemption is the Sun book with cds of course. At the other side....Bob Dylan. Just great. Period.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:15 pm

The fans throwing the money to wc.

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:41 pm

clambake1967 wrote:The problem here is us. Elvis fans and our indulgence. Ftd is a poor way of many many releases and very little stellar or de luxe product. The only exemption is the Sun book with cds of course. At the other side....Bob Dylan. Just great. Period.

Clearly this post is intended to be a wind-up. There are numerous examples of truly "stellar" FTD classic album series reissues; Elvis Presley, Loving You, Jailhouse Rock Vol. 2, Elvis Is Back!, Something For Everybody, His Hand In Mine, Guitar Man, From Elvis In Memphis, Back In Memphis, In Person, That's The Way It Is, Elvis Country, On Stage to name a few. Those are first-rate archival sets that can alongside any archival material released on any mainstream label. Perhaps you missed these....

Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:52 pm

This is a no win situation. You have your opinion and I respect that opinion. Mine is a lot different. I had all those titles and more. I sold all my entire Ftd collection and now I am more happy. I love a million times more Sony Legacy and much more my japanese and us original american albums. I love Elvis legacy from his years alive much. more.
Today the Elvis explotation is a lot more. Quantity before quality.
But one more time, its my opinion. Only my opinion.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:53 am

My copy of Made in Memphis has this, I flipped it over to see if it helps. Thankfully all my '76 soundboards are unneffected.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:33 pm

This is the reason for considering poor releases to Ftd. Sound is very good on 30 or so titles but design is cheap, price is a bit expensive and poor production. Besides that with a lot of inferior takes. And the most important reason with the fog issue!!!! Maybe in a few years all ftd titles will be gone!!!!

Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:34 pm

Someone here jokingly said that the damaged FTDs might be bootlegged in a few years. Well, looking at "Elvis On CD" they already have the note that "counterfeit copies exist" under almost every FTD CD. Maybe these are the ones that don't blurr :smt005

Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:11 pm

I don't have them all, but I have many of them. I went through them all this past weekend. Not a cloudy one in the bunch. Knock on wood. The oldest one I have deals with the '68 Special. I think it was the first one released.

Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi,
After reading thru this thread I went thru my entire collection of FTD titles. Quite a few of them had this fog on them with I Found My Thrill being the worst offender. I turned those discs playing side up in their holders and after a few hours took a second look at them. The fog didn't dissipate much, but the fog was easily wiped away. So far the discs I've tested play without issue. I do wonder though what it is about the IFMT disc that makes it so susceptible to this issue, the packaging, the disc itself? I'm not particularly concerned about the discs long term viability. This seems like a minor inconvenience at worst. I'll just have to check them and clean them once in awhile.
I'm more concerned about the spindles that hold the discs in the classic album series. Going thru them I noticed a few discs with small cracks in the center hole. Much to my horror, i found a crack in the second disc of the Standing Room Only set that extends into the playing area. I haven't had the chance to play that one yet. I've always been as careful as possible removing from and replacing those discs on the spindles, but I've always felt that the fit was a bit too snug.
Thanks,
Mike
Update:Thankfully the Standing Room Only disc plays just fine... whew.