Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:05 am

Went through all my FTD's last night... only disc one of Loving You had a slight haze on it. Doesn't seem to affect the play of the CD however.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:07 am

I do not play many of my FTDs more than once. So, it would not be "laser rot" causing me any fogginess. I have over 6000 CD and never a trace of laser rot. However some of my FTDs are starting to get foggy. I would submit it must be a chemical reaction with whatever inks or other chemicals they use to make the FTD covers.

I have CDs that are as much as almost 30 years old and have been played A LOT, with no traces of some of the problems found on FTD CDs.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:35 pm

After reading this I checked my FTD cds and found several of them have this "cloudy" look. It looks like moisture between the plastic part and aluminum layer of the cd..so the idea of using something to wipe it off with is useless because there is nothing to wipe off on the top of the cd. Im going to try and put some Silica gel packets in the case I put all my FTDs in and see if it makes any changes. I'll let you guys know if it helped or not.
BTW, any of the cds I played(tried 3 of them so far) on my cd player worked fine with no skipping or cracking.

Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:28 pm

So why FTD CDs and not others in my vast collection? Are they made in China or something?

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Some of the first was made in denmark.
They can drink beer at work in denmark. :shock: :smt006

Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:47 pm

Can we please delete this topic? People claim the Houston '76 topic is depressing but that's nothing compared to this. If my FTD collection would become unplayable, I would problably go crazy and need professional help.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:20 pm

SuspiciousMinds wrote:After reading this I checked my FTD cds and found several of them have this "cloudy" look. It looks like moisture between the plastic part and aluminum layer of the cd..so the idea of using something to wipe it off with is useless because there is nothing to wipe off on the top of the cd. Im going to try and put some Silica gel packets in the case I put all my FTDs in and see if it makes any changes. I'll let you guys know if it helped or not.
BTW, any of the cds I played(tried 3 of them so far) on my cd player worked fine with no skipping or cracking.

So It means that my CDs (and CDs from some other people) had another problem because I have clean them with a little alcohol and now they are perfect. They play perfectly while they didn't work anymore before I had cleaned them

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Phil wrote:
SuspiciousMinds wrote:After reading this I checked my FTD cds and found several of them have this "cloudy" look. It looks like moisture between the plastic part and aluminum layer of the cd..so the idea of using something to wipe it off with is useless because there is nothing to wipe off on the top of the cd. Im going to try and put some Silica gel packets in the case I put all my FTDs in and see if it makes any changes. I'll let you guys know if it helped or not.

So It means that my CDs (and CDs from some other people) had another problem because I have clean them with a little alcohol and now they are perfect. They play perfectly while they didn't work anymore before I had cleaned them

So are your cds the ones described as like having ice crystals forming all over it, or are they looking like they had a water stain look between the clear plastic and aluminum? If it is the second one, and you had luck with cleaning them with a little alcohol, then maybe I'll give it a try. I always get a little nervous about putting some liquid on the surface of my cds.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:48 pm

I cleaned all my CD's last night with a 2700 PSI power washer and orbital wire brush... there's no fog left on any of them... :smt023

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Can we please delete this topic? People claim the Houston '76 topic is depressing but that's nothing compared to this. If my FTD collection would become unplayable, I would problably go crazy and need professional help.

No. You would just buy them all again.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

elvis-fan wrote:I cleaned all my CD's last night with a 2700 PSI power washer and orbital wire brush... there's no fog left on any of them... :smt023

Are you getting mad or what? :smt005. This is a serious matter buddy, I hardly sleep at night since I found out this major issue :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 pm

I was serious when I said I cleaned the CD with the soaked cotton ball a little methanol.

Do not rub hard, just let it slide wadding on the surface of non-printed side of the CD

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:21 am

Here is another first! :shock:. These cds have also been affected, the nightmare continue......... :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:48 am

WELL CRAP!!!!! You are 100% correct Mike! Mine are the same way! This is beyond frustrating!

Can the cds on our Boy From Tupelo be next??

I think the end of my days supporting FTD have come to an end.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:56 am

JEFF d wrote:WELL CRAP!!!!! You are 100% correct Mike! Mine are the same way! This is beyond frustrating!

JEFF d
EP fan

OMG!, I forgot about those :facep:. Hope they are not affected, will let you know tomorrow :wink:. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:07 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Here is another first! :shock:. These cds have also been affected, the nightmare continue......... :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Just checked mine and am having the same issue. I had kept them inside the sleeves of the book since I bought the set.

Thankfully, the discs still play and I have imported them to iTunes. But it is a distressing development.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:36 pm

JEFF d wrote:WELL CRAP!!!!! You are 100% correct Mike! Mine are the same way! This is beyond frustrating!

JEFF d
EP fan

Just checked "A Boy From Tupelo" and the cds are not affected by the foggy issue :smt026.

But the bad news is that the cds that came with the books: "Welcome Home Elvis" & "From Memphis To Hollywood" are affected by the fog :cry:.

I know that the meat are in the books with all the cool info & pictures and that the cds are just bonus, but FTD rarely release "Mono" versions and this two cds were recently discovered in the RCA vaults. The Summer ´61 book with cd has not been affected for now.

Why are these cds being affected by the fog issue?. The other regular cds were because of the ink or glue but the books holds the cds in plastic bags :?. I have tried to clean them with soap, alcohol and warm water but the fog is still there :shock:.

This is a very depressing situation as the books cost nearly $100.00. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: Please check your FTD collection and post your thoughts on this issue and advice how can this be solved. Thanks!.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:53 pm

Damn, my cd's from "Fashion" look the same!! :evil:
They are still in the book as bought it, played them only once at the time.
It may not show on my pics, but they look the same like Mike's.

How is it possible, for such a expensive release?
I ame isapointed, did FTD or the publishers ever made a statement about this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:00 pm

JohanD wrote:Damn, my cd's from "Fashion" look the same!! :evil:
They are still in the book as bought it, played them only once at the time.
It may not show on my pics, but they look the same like Mike's.

How is it possible, for such a expensive release?
I ame isapointed, did FTD or the publishers ever made a statement about this?

They never did and will never do smt185. Silence is Golden............ :smt022. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:27 pm

Sorry to see that happen to you guys.

I didn't pick any of those book titles up, but it's funny I checked up on my foggy FTDs this morning before reading this. The ones affected I now keep away from the digipak. Detected some improvement in their condition.

For rather expensive purchases, this is a serious problem.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:33 pm

I didn't buy any of those book releases either, and despite having some CDs in my collection that are around 25 years old, my only disc to suffer any rot is the import, Elvis Meets Presley. But I'm of a mind to check my FTDs now.
Last edited by greystoke on Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:42 pm

greystoke wrote:I didn't but any of those book releases either, and despite having some CDs in my collection that are around 25 years old, my only disc to suffer any rot is the import, Elvis Meets Presley. But I'm of a mind to check my FTDs now.

I have around 500 Factory silver cds and none suffers of fog or cd-rot and several are more tan 15 years old 8).

The only ones that are affected by this issue are those coming from the factory that manufacture them for FTD :shock:.

Good luck in your checking!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:18 pm

JEFF d
EP fan

Just checked "A Boy From Tupelo" and the cds are not affected by the foggy issue :smt026.

But the bad news is that the cds that came with the books: "Welcome Home Elvis" & "From Memphis To Hollywood" are affected by the fog :cry:.

I know that the meat are in the books with all the cool info & pictures and that the cds are just bonus, but FTD rarely release "Mono" versions and this two cds were recently discovered in the RCA vaults. The Summer ´61 book with cd has not been affected for now.

Why are these cds being affected by the fog issue?. The other regular cds were because of the ink or glue but the books holds the cds in plastic bags :?. I have tried to clean them with soap, alcohol and warm water but the fog is still there :shock:.

This is a very depressing situation as the books cost nearly $100.00. Bye for now :smt006.

P.S: Please check your FTD collection and post your thoughts on this issue and advice how can this be solved. Thanks!.

My copy of From Memphis to Hollywood also started to show the start of the fog. It will come off if you clean them. I plan to move all cds out of the books I have as a precaution.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:26 pm

Mike C wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

My copy of From Memphis to Hollywood also started to show the start of the fog. It will come off if you clean them. I plan to move all cds out of the books I have as a precaution.

Please explain how do you clean them, I used liquid hand soap, warm water and alcohol and it doesn´t work :smt022. Bye for now :smt006.

Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:31 pm

I would try using a cd cleaner solution and cd spinner. I have one I bought several years ago. Since the discs still play I am fine with not having it completely clean.

Do your cds still play, Mike?