Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Do you have a foggy FTD ?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

After having heared of the reaction between glue and CDs I started to store all CDs in plastic trays. Until now every disc works fine and shows no signs of fog.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:15 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:After having heared of the reaction between glue and CDs I started to store all CDs in plastic trays. Until now every disc works fine and shows no signs of fog.

Trying to understand.. Aren't the CDs already in plastic trays when sent by FTD? My FTDs look like they are in plastic trays to me. Where is the glue? Where is the plastic? My CDs that came with FTD books had a haze when left in the sleeves in the books. I now have them in a 50 cd spindle that blanks came in.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 am

WMarkJ wrote:Trying to understand.. Aren't the CDs already in plastic trays when sent by FTD? My FTDs look like they are in plastic trays to me. Where is the glue?

Holding the cardboard together, and under the trays securing the trays to the card packaging.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:41 am

Matthew wrote:
WMarkJ wrote:Trying to understand.. Aren't the CDs already in plastic trays when sent by FTD? My FTDs look like they are in plastic trays to me. Where is the glue?

Holding the cardboard together, and under the trays securing the trays to the card packaging.
ok starting to see. Please elaborate on the plastic sleeves we are putting them in instead. The plastic sleeves are not jewel cases with the same issue right?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:14 pm

I took a chance and used 80% proof Alcohol and gave a scrub to my copy of 'Let yourself Go', and left it out in the open for a couple of hours. Now' apart from a small skip right at the beginning, the CD is playing OK: Strange that this problem is only on a few discs and across different climatic regions.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:01 pm

jbgude wrote:I took a chance and used 80% proof Alcohol and gave a scrub to my copy of 'Let yourself Go', and left it out in the open for a couple of hours. Now' apart from a small skip right at the beginning, the CD is playing OK: Strange that this problem is only on a few discs and across different climatic regions.

That skip might be a bit of residual gunk that you didn't quite manage to remove. I'd have another clean just to be sure.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 pm

londonflash wrote:Shizers.

The old CD rot has got to my I Found My Thrill CD too.

I don't have any methanol but I do have some Corona's in the fridge. Should I bust one of those bad boys out and clean the disc?

Good-god man! Don't waste an ice cold Corona on a silly CD!!!!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:24 pm

Don't forget the lime . . .

Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:43 pm

I've had CD rot from the infamous PDO press, it was a Paul Weller CD single, the whole disc went bronze then brown, like it was burnt and played with crackles then ceased to play at all. Not good. I replaced it just this year with a German pressing. I back up all my CD's using a hard drive now, I'm currently half way through importing my collection. It's just nice to have them all in one place on a big hard drive but the eggs in one basket syndrome does make me wonder if it's the right way. Of course, I've still got the originals as long as they don't rot!! I have also backed some up onto DVD in the past, a bit like this guy on ebay, I just never sold mine...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ELVIS-PRESLEY ... 672wt_1161

'Extremely Rare One Of A Kind Set,Purchased from Collector Site for £125', yeah sure, I bet it is!!!

Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:08 pm

Maybe I should check all my FTD releases....and make a cdr backup :?

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 pm

administrator wrote:Hi there,

Someone mentioned to me through e-mail some FTDs ( mostly 2006 releases ) may have problems that appears on their surface ( some kind of mist blur ). The following would be most likely a possible problem :

Digipack

Southern Nights
Made In Memphis
Let Yourself Go
I Found My Thrill

Classic albums

Loving You
Clambake

I just checked out mine. '' Southern Nights '' , '' Made In Memphis '' and '' Let Yourself Go '' all have some mist blur appearing on them. '' I Found My Thrill '' is a disaster, a lot of it and even looks like there's ice crystals forming all over it. I can play the CD but there's several skips already on it . I'm playing it now and have problems on all the first 7 tracks. It looks like the whole CD will be good for garbage.

If you check yours I'll be curious to find out what's happening with other copies all over the world.

Take care,

The Administrator

P.S. My CD almost skipped completely '' Sweet Caroline '' and having a hard time to keep playing. :shock:

At the time of the topic started i had no big concern. But since then, i noticed today that the listed FTD above all have the "foggy" thing. Let yourself being a total disaster.
However, i followed the advice given here and cleaned it with a clotch and some alcohol. Now it seems to be ok and "Let yourself go" being listenable.
Hope no issues in the future.

Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:47 pm

WMarkJ wrote:ok starting to see. Please elaborate on the plastic sleeves we are putting them in instead. The plastic sleeves are not jewel cases with the same issue right?

I don't know what people are putting their discs in but I'm guessing by "plastic sleeves" they are referring to PVC sleeves for CDs, much like those used for vinyl records. As for jewel cases, there would not be a glue problem because there is no glue present in a standard CD jewel case.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:12 am

I thought I had no fog problems but noticed today my Closing Night CD has it. I cleaned it off with an unused cleaning cloth for spectacles. It plays normally.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:24 am

When In Rome wrote: I back up all my CD's using a hard drive now, I'm currently half way through importing my collection. It's just nice to have them all in one place on a big hard drive but the eggs in one basket syndrome does make me wonder if it's the right way.

Get yourself a 2nd backup at some point, maybe a 1000GB (1TB) portable Lacie. Mine was only £70, it weighs about as much as a packet of cigarettes and has lasted three years without losing a thing, despite being moved and carried about. You can even carry it around with you for the ultimate peace of mind, or store it in your car or a different location in case of fire or flood damage at home. Remember to check your drives around once a month though, especially if you carry it around!

Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:00 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Don't forget the lime . . .

Gasoline and an oven roast works wonders as well.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:27 am

I have checked and I found this defect in

Made in Memphis
Living You

Damn...

Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:29 am

I ask again--has FTD ever replaced any defective discs?

Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:02 am

Hank wrote:I ask again--has FTD ever replaced any defective discs?

Yes. "So High" and "Elvis (Fool)." Neither had CD rot issues. It is highly doubtful Sony and FTD will ever recall and replace FTD CD rot discs -- it would cost too much.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

One more undocumented FTD release that is rotting in hell :evil:. And this really hurts me as this is one of my all time favourite FTD releases that I would pick if I had to survive in a desert island :smt005.

At the end, sooner or later many FTD cds will be affected by rot or turn to be a foggy cd :cry:. This is not looking good...Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:53 pm

Wow . . . that's unfortunate.

I have a question for everyone here. Does anyone protect your FTD's in plastic sleeves?

As far as I know, I haven't had any issues, and all of mine have always been stored in plastic sleeves.

It may be a very good idea to start doing so. You can get them here -->

For 5" FTD's -->
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3305-cd-jewel-case-sleeve-fits-over-jewel-case.aspx

For 7" FTD's -->
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3227-45-record-outer-sleeve-with-resealable-flap.aspx

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D .

Rich_TCB wrote:Wow . . . that's unfortunate.

I have a question for everyone here. Does anyone protect your FTD's in plastic sleeves?

As far as I know, I haven't had any issues, and all of mine have always been stored in plastic sleeves.

It may be a very good idea to start doing so. You can get them here -->

For 5" FTD's -->
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3305-cd-jewel-case-sleeve-fits-over-jewel-case.aspx

For 7" FTD's -->
https://www.bagsunlimited.com/p-3227-45-record-outer-sleeve-with-resealable-flap.aspx

Yes to your question!. They have been always protected by those plastic sleeves since the beginning :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 pm

I'll see if I have time this weekend, to check some of the FTD's mentioned here in regards to CD rot.

But I know my copy of Let Yourself Go is ok, as I just had a look at it a week or two ago.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 pm

Why didn't FTD use the Jewel cases? Not sure if mentioned before.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:26 pm

To differentiate between the regular RCA/Sony releases (as seen in stores), to the FTD collectors label.

Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:34 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

One question :?. Why the bootleg digipack cd releases are not affected by rot or foggy cds? :roll:. Bye for now :smt006.