Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Wed May 19, 2010 10:27 pm

brian wrote:I get the feeling that if Elvis needed money in 1977 because he was broke and Parker didn't do anything to help him earn some more then fans would jump all over him then as well.

A lot of fans would say Parker should've made some type of deal so that Elvis could make some money quickly.

It's a no win situation

You're wrong. Yes, Presley needed the money, but that doesn't mean Parker was justified in pimping out his artist in front of millions of adoring fans and a curious media so his artist could be exposed for the trainwreck and punchline that he had become. It was a desperate and almost malicious act. How could anyone that truly cared for his artist subject him to such a disastrous event and controversial exposure? If Presley needed funds, Parker could have secured him advances on future royalties, renegotiated his recording deal (or signed a new one with RCA or a new label for when the current deal expired), etc. There were creative ways to get his artist fast cash.

Nothing good could have come from Elvis' television appearance during the summer of 1977 - and Tom Parker clearly was aware of this fact. Elvis' reputation would have been severely damaged during the fall of '77 with the Elvis What Happened book on the shelves alongside the atrocious concert footage from EIC. That is not a manager who was looking out for his client's best interests. Parker was not looking at the future; he was milking one more penny out of Presley before it was all over.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Wed May 19, 2010 10:55 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:The minute the Colonel became a degenerate gambler, (which effected his decision making, which also lead to him robbing Elvis blind) he should have been fired immediately! Don't tell me that his bodyguards didn't know what was going on as far as the Colonel's ridiculous gambling losses, cause I'm sure they did. There is plenty of blame to go around, including Elvis himself.

midnightx wrote:It is baffling that anyone can make excuses for Tom Parker negotiating a TV Special during that period.

elvisjock wrote:Agreed. After having to manage the police reaction in Houston, and months later seeing Elvis unconscious in a hotel room, and knowing that he might walk off in the middle of a show to "answer nature's call," it's impossible to justify.

My understanding is that the two men were barely on speaking terms in 1977. Perhaps Colonel wrote a letter to Elvis, detailing the offer and asking his wishes. That's an archive item I'd love to see.

Gentlemen, you have said it all, and said it well.

Luuk, when will you give up your apologist stance regarding Presley management?

Your loyalty to shared Dutch roots with "Colonel" Parker should not impact your ability to accept the truth.


The fact we both have Dutch origins has absolutely nothing to do with it

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Wed May 19, 2010 10:56 pm

midnightx wrote:...Nothing good could have come from Elvis' television appearance during the summer of 1977 - and Tom Parker clearly was aware of this fact.
Elvis' reputation would have been severely damaged during the fall of '77 with the Elvis What Happened book on the shelves alongside the atrocious concert footage from EIC.
That is not a manager who was looking out for his client's best interests.
Parker was not looking at the future; he was milking one more penny out of Presley before it was all over.


Word went round CBS, earlier that year, that Elvis hadn't got long to live.

If Parker belonged to that school of thought, he wouldn't have been concerned with any 'lasting damage' to his boy's career, but might have been determined to squeeze the last dollar out of him before it was too late...............

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Wed May 19, 2010 11:38 pm

Luuk wrote:The fact we both have Dutch origins has absolutely nothing to do with it

Too bad -- that was your only "out." Now you're out of excuses.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Wed May 19, 2010 11:40 pm

midnightx wrote:
brian wrote:I get the feeling that if Elvis needed money in 1977 because he was broke and Parker didn't do anything to help him earn some more then fans would jump all over him then as well.

A lot of fans would say Parker should've made some type of deal so that Elvis could make some money quickly.

It's a no win situation

You're wrong. Yes, Presley needed the money, but that doesn't mean Parker was justified in pimping out his artist in front of millions of adoring fans and a curious media so his artist could be exposed for the trainwreck and punchline that he had become. It was a desperate and almost malicious act. How could anyone that truly cared for his artist subject him to such a disastrous event and controversial exposure? If Presley needed funds, Parker could have secured him advances on future royalties, renegotiated his recording deal (or signed a new one with RCA or a new label for when the current deal expired), etc. There were creative ways to get his artist fast cash.

Nothing good could have come from Elvis' television appearance during the summer of 1977 - and Tom Parker clearly was aware of this fact. Elvis' reputation would have been severely damaged during the fall of '77 with the Elvis What Happened book on the shelves alongside the atrocious concert footage from EIC. That is not a manager who was looking out for his client's best interests. Parker was not looking at the future; he was milking one more penny out of Presley before it was all over.


I don't think i'm wrong

If Elvis ran out of money their would be fans who blamed Parker for that as well.
I think that's a true statement a lot of fans blame Parker for everything and give Elvis a pass all the time.


I think Parker's partially to blame because he came up with the deal instead of trying to find another way, but Elvis signed the contract and i've never heard that he complained about having those shows taped.

I think if Elvis lived EIC would've had less effect on his career.

It would've been a terrible disaster with mostly bad reviews but if he had lived it was a bump in the road as oppose to the final television performance of Elvis' career.
For many people they have EIC as the last image of Elvis that's what's so bad about the show.

Since Elvis died though you could blame Parker and Vernon for not trying to stop CBS from airing the show.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Thu May 20, 2010 1:49 am

brian wrote:... if Elvis lived EIC would've had less effect on his career.

Not if he kept stumbling around on stage, looking like he did on that program.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Thu May 20, 2010 2:14 am

Had Elvis lived the CBS TV special would not have been shown.

Not only Elvis but CBS reputation was at stake.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Thu May 20, 2010 2:36 am

I don't think there's any need to bring racial backgrounds into the argument in relation to those who defend the Colonel.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Thu May 20, 2010 2:38 am

rickeap wrote:I don't think there's any need to bring racial backgrounds into the argument in relation to those who defend the Colonel.

Why not?

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Thu May 20, 2010 3:51 am

midnightx wrote:Nothing good could have come from Elvis' television appearance during the summer of 1977 - and Tom Parker clearly was aware of this fact. Elvis' reputation would have been severely damaged during the fall of '77 with the Elvis What Happened book on the shelves alongside the atrocious concert footage from EIC. That is not a manager who was looking out for his client's best interests. Parker was not looking at the future; he was milking one more penny out of Presley before it was all over.

Overall, you're probably right. I've always viewed EIC as either a) Management finally giving up on Elvis and, as you say, milking one more penny out of him before that runaway train finally crashed. Or b) Management finally realizing that something had to be done and electing to use some 'tough love' or the shock treatment of public humiliation in order to force the man to see he had a huge problem and hopefully accept to get some help. But, ultimately, Elvis showed them all who was in charge.... :(

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 4:49 pm

What a complete an utter betrayal and fiasco in every sense ...!

The CBS show is all so problematic such as to make it difficult (and understandably impossible for some) to enjoy what was salvageable about this final broadcast and 2-LP set.

I've found my ways but read enough of this and it's enough to get me throroughly disgusted all over again.

I couldn't have dreamed up a more tragic and negative exit if I had dreamed it up myself with Albert Goldman in 1971. He must have been delighted how it all came crashing down.

phpBB [video]

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 5:37 pm

[/quote]Word went round CBS, earlier that year, that Elvis hadn't got long to live.

If Parker belonged to that school of thought, he wouldn't have been concerned with any 'lasting damage' to his boy's career, but might have been determined to squeeze the last dollar out of him before it was too late...............[/quote]



Come on....I don't think this is so....how could they (Col. & CBS)(or anyone) predict someone's life expectancy. I know that Elton John met Elvis in 1976...and has been quoted as saying "I knew he didn't have long to live".....but did he say that AFTER the Largo Show?...or in hind site after he died? (not sure when the quote was first published).

The CBS special was probably set up to give Elvis the CHALLENGE he needed and loved, to over come his problems....As the West boys hoped the WHAT HAPPENED book would do. But Elvis didn't care by the summer of 1977.

The prediction should have been...."if he doesn't stop the drugs....it will someday kill him". (but who knows when). I don't think you look at a 42 year old and say "he's gonna die in 6 months"....he could have gotten better. Look at Keith Richards....Look at Steven Tyler....(he's been quoted as saying..."The Grateful Dead called him and said, 'Whoa slow down'). My Fiancee's grand mother was on her death bed in her late 80's (called the funeral home)...she perked up and lived ACTIVELY for 6 more years.

But I don't think CBS or the Colonel were doing the Special because they knew and were planning on it being his swan song.....(not to mention the Tour plans that were made clear into September....Vegas and a rumored NEW YEARS show.

I think everyone was hoping he'd get better.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 5:41 pm

I think the fact the papers were signed to do the special at that time is proof Elvis was doomed and in a hopeless situation.You had Parker who didnt have enough decency to overlook the financial rewards and just tossed Elvis under the bus.Then you had Elvis himself, who evidently couldnt pull himself together enough to know he was headed for a disaster.I put the blame on both.Everything was in place to bring him down.I just dont think Elvis had anywhere to turn,privately or professionally.After all these years I still find it hard to comprehend somebody like Elvis Presley ended up in that situation.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 pm

By this point Elvis was a recidivist junkie who was continuously stoned. While Goldman sees nothing positive about Elvis, he did get the end right. The man had deteriorated into a mess who worked an hour a day, gorged himself on drugs and food seeking to dull the pain of depression likely inherited and exacerbated by years of cheap thrills and drug abuse. Tom Parker was an abusive monster who knew the end game as he had lived it before with another artist. Sonny West said it best though ' how do you protect a man from himself '. Tragic end to the life of a great artist.

The pain fuels the artist until the success enables him to try to dull the pain. Without a support system made of steel, the pain always wins.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 7:22 pm

By this point Elvis was a recidivist junkie who was continuously stoned. While Goldman sees nothing positive about Elvis, he did get the end right. The man had deteriorated into a mess who worked an hour a day, gorged himself on drugs and food seeking to dull the pain of depression likely inherited and exacerbated by years of cheap thrills and drug abuse. Tom Parker was an abusive monster who knew the end game as he had lived it before with another artist. Sonny West said it best though ' how do you protect a man from himself '. Tragic end to the life of a great artist.

The pain fuels the artist until the success enables him to try to dull the pain. Without a support system made of steel, the pain always wins.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 7:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Luuk wrote:The fact we both have Dutch origins has absolutely nothing to do with it

Too bad -- that was your only "out." Now you're out of excuses.


Even better, I'm outta here. Thanks for showing the Elvis Fans World is such a friendly bunch, Doc.
I have better things to do than argue with 60+ years old senile old men who know how to google but act like "12 year olds".

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 8:16 pm

Hang in there, Luuk - it wouldn't be FECC if one didn't tangle with the Doc once in awhile.

He has his opinion and the rest of us can feel free to agree or disagree - and often do!

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 8:35 pm

When Elvis sold the rights to his earlier songs in 73/74(?) he was adviced by Parker not to do it, but Vernon and Elvis insisted. Parker wanted Elvis to have a break in '75, but Elvis and Vernon told him they would get other people to keep the shows rolling. And regarding EIC, Elvis needed the money - just like Parker. Maybe Parker also thought it was a good challenge for Elvis, when the deal was signed?!

But of course, it is much easier to blame Parker for everything - we are not his fans afterall :roll:

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Fri May 21, 2010 8:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:I don't think there's any need to bring racial backgrounds into the argument in relation to those who defend the Colonel.

Why not?


Because strictly speaking, it isn't racism, it's tribalism? :wink:

Best wishes

Geoff

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 12:33 am

Xaykev wrote:When Elvis sold the rights to his earlier songs in 73/74(?) he was adviced by Parker not to do it, but Vernon and Elvis insisted. Parker wanted Elvis to have a break in '75, but Elvis and Vernon told him they would get other people to keep the shows rolling. And regarding EIC, Elvis needed the money - just like Parker. Maybe Parker also thought it was a good challenge for Elvis, when the deal was signed?!

But of course, it is much easier to blame Parker for everything - we are not his fans afterall :roll:


Elvis needed guidance as he got older, especially as his life and career spun out of control. The Colonel (who bragged about EP being his only client, how he devoted every ounce of his being, as his manager), should have taken on this responsibility, but instead, as Elvis weakened and became vulnerable, the Colonel showed absolutely no mercy and robbed him, unmercifully! Elvis went from being his client, to his mark! Fact is, the reason the Colonel didn't step back in 1975, was because he figured somebody else would take advantage of Elvis, rather then him, and he couldn't let that happen.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 12:52 am

With all the negative tabloid stories about Elvis at the time, CBS were always going to get a decent audience, even if part of it was kinda based on voyeurism!

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 1:39 am

Johnny 99 wrote:With all the negative tabloid stories about Elvis at the time, CBS were always going to get a decent audience, even if part of it was kinda based on voyeurism!


that's right

I believe Elvis in concert was the highest rated program for CBS that year and that's all they cared about.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 2:00 am

tupelo_boy wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
rickeap wrote:I don't think there's any need to bring racial backgrounds into the argument in relation to those who defend the Colonel.

Why not?


Because strictly speaking, it isn't racism, it's tribalism? :wink:

Best wishes

Geoff


sorry, off topic, but your avatar is interesting - any info on the photo? Thanks

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 2:24 am

Joe Car wrote:
Xaykev wrote:When Elvis sold the rights to his earlier songs in 73/74(?) he was adviced by Parker not to do it, but Vernon and Elvis insisted. Parker wanted Elvis to have a break in '75, but Elvis and Vernon told him they would get other people to keep the shows rolling. And regarding EIC, Elvis needed the money - just like Parker. Maybe Parker also thought it was a good challenge for Elvis, when the deal was signed?!

But of course, it is much easier to blame Parker for everything - we are not his fans afterall :roll:


Elvis needed guidance as he got older, especially as his life and career spun out of control. The Colonel (who bragged about EP being his only client, how he devoted every ounce of his being, as his manager), should have taken on this responsibility, but instead, as Elvis weakened and became vulnerable, the Colonel showed absolutely no mercy and robbed him, unmercifully! Elvis went from being his client, to his mark! Fact is, the reason the Colonel didn't step back in 1975, was because he figured somebody else would take advantage of Elvis, rather then him, and he couldn't let that happen.

Why do you write robbed him? Parker offered him a contract and Elvis signed. And I don't think you know how strong Elvis could be as a person, it was his way or no way. Like Billy Smith says, if Elvis didn't want to do any shows the last years there wouldn't have been any tours. When Elvis didn't want to record in Nashville January '77 he faked a sore throat and went home to Graceland. Parker said in an interview: nobody told Elvis Presley what to do. You can blame Parker, Dr Nick and so on. But I don't think it was easy to be Elvis Presley's manager and doctor the last 5 years or so.

Re: HOW MUCH DID ELVIS RECEIVE FOR THE 1977 CBS TV SPECIAL?

Sat May 22, 2010 2:45 am

Luuk you are entitled to your opinion and be able to make a statement without a racial slur. In this case I don't agree with you, but that doesn't matter a bit.
Your presence here is welcome