Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
Daryl
On Suspension Until Further Notice...
Registered for: 21 years

Elvis On Tour - Legacy Edition???

Post by Daryl »

Do you think that Sony / Legacy will release something to coincide with the upcoming BluRay / DVD release of "Elvis On Tour"? Ernst's previous comments that they would issue something when Warner Brothers does something with the film has me thinking that they will. Or at least they should. I would have thought that they would have announced something already. What exactly should Sony / Legacy put out? A 2 CD set, a 3 CD set...or even possibly a 4 CD set! Then the question is does Sony have all four shows (Hampton Roads, Richmond, Greensboro, San Antonio) complete? We know they have at least one show (San Antonio) and "An American Trilogy" from Hampton Roads but what else? It may be that they do not have the complete shows. Ideally, in my opinion, a perfect "Elvis On Tour" Legacy set would be a 3 CD set featuring the three remaining unreleased shows (Hampton Roads, Greensboro, and Richmond). I don't need to hear rehearsal stuff that I've heard via FTD and bootlegs. The meat of the film was the concerts, so I think the meat of any Legacy release should be the concerts. I believe in one of Tunzi's sessions books (I think it was Sessions II), he mentioned that RCA had the complete Greensboro show. So if Sony doesn't have the complete Richmond and Hampton Roads shows, they should compile a best of the four shows into a 2 CD set.

Daryl

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

joshferrell
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Re: Elvis On Tour - Legacy Edition???

Post by joshferrell »

what would be cool is a 2 cd set with highlights from the concerts/rehearsals etc with a bonus dvd of outakes not released on the EOT dvd,maybe the lost performances or something..we may not get such a thing but that's something I would like to see.released in the stores

Topic author
Daryl

Post by Daryl »

That would be awesome JoshFerrell, but I don't think Sony Legacy and Warner Brothers could come to an agreement on that. I doubt Sony would be able and willing to license footage from Warner Brothers and I doubt Warner Brothers would have any desire to license outtakes for Sony / Legacy. I know it's a dream scenario but I don't think it's realistic.

3DS Friend Code 0387-8874-3735

Coming Soon --> ELVIS SESSIONS IV

ECC83
Registered for: 14 years 3 months

Post by ECC83 »

That would be a truly awesome release, don't know much about the legalities behind it, but if it's possible, let's hope! 8)

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

Ernst's remarks were made during a much different era of music retail. I have my doubts.

bajo

Post by bajo »

There would be no better time for Ernst to do a FTD special of the On Tour material! We have waited so long for something to appear regarding On Tour. I think Ernst knows when to strike!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

bajo wrote:There would be no better time for Ernst to do a FTD special of the On Tour material! We have waited so long for something to appear regarding On Tour. I think Ernst knows when to strike!
I rather see the EOT material released on FTD than as a Legacy edition. The 'Legacy' is for a broad market so consessions to the material have to be made to make it sexy for a large audience. On FTD they can release the material in a way that appeals to fans and collectors... My advise to Ernst (which he definately does not need :wink: ): do a Legacy edition on MSG and please give us the full monthy EOT box set of FTD (3 concerts + march 72 outtakes + booklet)...

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

Then again you could roll your own.

Just extract the soundtrack from the DVD/BD

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man
Registered for: 18 years 5 months

Post by Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man »

What would be ideal would be the Hampton concert, complete from beginning to end, with bonus tracks from the other shows, like It's over, Release Me, Burning Love, Funny How Time Slips Away, Proud Mary etc i.e. stuff not done in Hampton Roads.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS, SON!!! Excusez-moi monsieur ?
Image Image

Alexander
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by Alexander »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:What would be ideal would be the Hampton concert, complete from beginning to end, with bonus tracks from the other shows, like It's over, Release Me, Burning Love, Funny How Time Slips Away, Proud Mary etc i.e. stuff not done in Hampton Roads.
I presonally prefer Greensboro over Hampton Roads, so make it a box with both concerts and all the March outtakes on an adittional 3rd cd.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 7 months

Post by Marko »

I hope they put out EOT soundtrack. To be honest that would probably be the last major new Elvis release with unreleased material as the movie hasn't had soundtrack album to date. I wish they do similar release to TTWII 3 cd set. That would be awesome with rehearsal highlites and one complete concert. They could then put out extra stuff on FTD.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

Alexander wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:What would be ideal would be the Hampton concert, complete from beginning to end, with bonus tracks from the other shows, like It's over, Release Me, Burning Love, Funny How Time Slips Away, Proud Mary etc i.e. stuff not done in Hampton Roads.
I presonally prefer Greensboro over Hampton Roads, so make it a box with both concerts and all the March outtakes on an adittional 3rd cd.
I think Hampton would be the prefered show because it's the only one we haven't heard in it's complete form. And of course, Elvis and the gang were cookin'!

Image Image

OnTourCam

Post by OnTourCam »

Can someone please ask Ernst if Hampton roads afternoon gig was taped

I really wana hear this show

ask him actually how many soundboards in good quality exist from that april tour

please tell us

jeanno

Post by jeanno »

What would be ideal would be the Hampton concert, complete from beginning to end, with bonus tracks from the other shows, like It's over, Release Me, Burning Love, Funny How Time Slips Away, Proud Mary etc i.e. stuff not done in Hampton Roads.
Great idea: keep fingers crossed.

Hampton Roads
1 2001 Theme
2 CC Rider
3 I Got A Woman/Amen
4 Never Been to Spain
5 You Gave Me A Mountain
6 Until It's Time For You To Go
7 Polk Salad Annie
8 Love Me
9 All Shook Up
10 Teddy Bear/Dont Be Cruel
11 Are You Lonesome Tonight?
12 I Can't Stop Loving You
13 Hound Dog
14 Bridge Over troubled Water
15 Suspicious Minds
16 For The good times
17 Intros
18 American trilogy
19 Love Me Tender
20 Big Hunk O Love
21 How Great Thou Art
22 Sweet Sweet Spirit
23 Lawdy Miss Clawdy
24 Can't Help Falling in Love
25 Closing Vamp/Announcement

Bonus tracks:

San Antonio
26 Proud Mary
27 Burning Love

Greensboro
28 Release Me
29 Funny How time Slips Away

Richmond
30 Heartbreak Hotel
31 It's over

Quite a fine possible selection on a nice double CD methinks!

Image Image

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hampton Roads
1 2001 Theme
2 CC Rider
3 I Got A Woman/Amen
4 Never Been to Spain
5 You Gave Me A Mountain
7 Polk Salad Annie
8 Love Me
9 All Shook Up
13 Hound Dog
15 Suspicious Minds
16 For The good times
17 Intros
18 American trilogy
19 Love Me Tender
20 Big Hunk O Love
21 How Great Thou Art
22 Sweet Sweet Spirit
23 Lawdy Miss Clawdy

Bonus tracks:

San Antonio
26 Proud Mary
27 Burning Love

Greensboro
28 Release Me

Richmond
30 Heartbreak Hotel
31 It's over

Well, Hampton Roads would fit onto one CD by itself. The remaining 6 tracks are roughly 12-15 minutes of playing time combined. Why not add some additional highlights plus rehearsals?

Still, I'm not sure how likely it is that Sony issues an accompanying audio package with the DVD reissue.

pageglen
Registered for: 15 years 7 months

Post by pageglen »

To Swingin' Little Guitar Man-I love your idea for the Hampton Roads cd. PLUS we need it in true STEREO,just like on the A Greensboro Revoltion 04-14-72 cd. And for THAT,I say thank so much Madison!
Glen

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

midnightx wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Hampton Roads
1 2001 Theme
2 CC Rider
3 I Got A Woman/Amen
4 Never Been to Spain
5 You Gave Me A Mountain
7 Polk Salad Annie
8 Love Me
9 All Shook Up
13 Hound Dog
15 Suspicious Minds
16 For The good times
17 Intros
18 American trilogy
19 Love Me Tender
20 Big Hunk O Love
21 How Great Thou Art
22 Sweet Sweet Spirit
23 Lawdy Miss Clawdy

Bonus tracks:

San Antonio
26 Proud Mary
27 Burning Love

Greensboro
28 Release Me

Richmond
30 Heartbreak Hotel
31 It's over

Well, Hampton Roads would fit onto one CD by itself. The remaining 6 tracks are roughly 12-15 minutes of playing time combined. Why not add some additional highlights plus rehearsals?

Still, I'm not sure how likely it is that Sony issues an accompanying audio package with the DVD reissue.
Well, it can't hurt to add the limosine chat, "Did the launch here go off? As a hidden easter egg bonus.

midnightx wrote: Well, Hampton Roads would fit onto one CD by itself. The remaining 6 tracks are roughly 12-15 minutes of playing time combined.
Well how about CD one containing the complete Hampton Roads plus the bonus tracks from Richmond

And CD two containing the complete Greensboro and the bonus tracks from San Antonio?

If Rehearsals are featured, they need to be ones preferably not songs done at the concerts on the CD's, like , Johnny B Goode, Always on My Mind, Seperate Ways, Help Me Make It Through The Night, Young And Beautiful, The First time Ever i Saw Your face etc

Image Image

patrick

Post by patrick »

Didn't Ernst told us a few years ago, that FTD will release on tour stuff when the dvd comes out? I know that i read that somewere...

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I recall Ernst saying something about releasing something in conjunction with the release of EOT. But I don't recall if he mentioned FTD or the main label. At any rate those comments were made a long time ago. Retail realities have changed drastically. Who knows what we'll get, or where.

midnightx

Post by midnightx »

patrick wrote:Didn't Ernst told us a few years ago, that FTD will release on tour stuff when the dvd comes out? I know that i read that somewere...
Yes, maybe about 8 years ago when BMG managed the catalogue in a very different music retail climate - along with the assumption the DVD On Tour release would be more of a deluxe format with additional footage. In 2010, the current music retail climate is uncertain and lacks the sales potential for archival releases that existed 8 years ago, Sony now manages the catalogue, and On Tour is a straight DVD reissue. The factors are not the same as they were when Ernst made his previous remarks.