Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame 1986 --> Elvis Takes His Place

Sat May 08, 2010 12:10 am

Another "inspired by" topic. elbo51, your wish is my command.

Behold the first entry in Rolling Stone's coverage of the first "Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame" class:

Elvis Presley, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

I recalled being floored by the photo, it was new to my eyes, and mysterious.

A few pages along, it was pleasing to see this great man:

Sam Phillips, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

And, on the same page, I was doubly floored when this came into view:

Robert Johnson, Rolling Stone 467 - Feb 13, 1986

Here was the FIRST-ever image of Robert Johnson, perhaps the greatest of all blues musicians, casually published by the magazine as if it was commonplace.

Wow.

Needless to say, it was a good day at the newsstand.

Re: Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame 1986 --> Elvis Takes His Plac

Sat May 08, 2010 12:22 am

Kick ass. Thanks for posting.

Sat May 08, 2010 1:47 am

Thanks. Now, where is that elbo51?

Does anyone know for sure if the Elvis image was unissued?

The credit reads: BOB EAST / PHOTO TRENDS.

Sat May 08, 2010 9:49 am

Nice post, Doc, thanks - I too still have that edition of RS.

I was also floored by the (to my eyes) new photo of Elvis - it just seemed to perfectly capture the weirdness, mystery and violence of the vibrant young singer.

My initial guess as to the photographer was Wertheimer but there are many better qualified than me to make that judgement.

Sat May 08, 2010 11:58 am

It's definitely not by Al Wertheimer: it appears to be from Aug or later in 1956, and bears the credit BOB EAST / PHOTO TRENDS.

Sat May 08, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks Doc for pointing me to this thread.

It's always nice to see a new photo from 1956 (at least that's what I think without going through all my books).

This one was most likely taken in Miami on August 3-4, 1956 as Bob East was a Miami Herald photographer for 33 years. He died in 1985 after suffering brain damage during a cancer surgery. A poisonous chemical was mistakenly injected by doctors during the surgery instead of spinal fluid.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Sun May 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks Brian -- I knew you'd be able to add more info.

Mon May 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Here I am! Been away for a few days to the good ole' US of A. Many Thanks Doc!

Mon May 10, 2010 9:29 pm

The pleasure is all mine!

Tue May 25, 2010 8:33 am

elbo51 wrote:Here I am! Been away for a few days to the good ole' US of A. Many Thanks Doc!

BTW, whether by design or not, Elvis is the first artist Rolling Stone features, in their coverage of the first rock 'n' roll hall of fame.

How cool is that?

Tue May 25, 2010 9:26 am

I had this issue,at one time.Sadly,it is now lost.
Can anyone doubt Elvis' stature in the Rock and Roll canon,after all this time?His influence lives on,the biggest icon and singer.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:04 am

jbnva58 wrote:I had this issue,at one time.Sadly,it is now lost.

Well, now at least you have the page with Elvis -- and that great photo by Bob East.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elbo51 wrote:Here I am! Been away for a few days to the good ole' US of A. Many Thanks Doc!

BTW, whether by design or not, Elvis is the first artist Rolling Stone features, in their coverage of the first rock 'n' roll hall of fame.

How cool is that?

Very cool. Having Sam Phillips there too is extra cool also, this man has done more for the music industry than any major label in the world. R.I.P Sam.

Oh, i've not seen that picture either of Elvis...super.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:47 pm

Thank you very much, Doc. I love the quote "the archetypal rock'n'roll singer". To me it's enough to describe the genius of Elvis Presley. How great were the good ol' days. In that day of 1986 Elvis Presley was reconized for his unique talent for ever and no one could deny this.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:15 pm

The first 2 HOF dinners at the Waldorf were open to the public if you wanted to pay. I did and got in that first year, 1986. The event was amazing and I got to meet all the inductees except for Ray Charles. Fats Domino and James Brown were by far the most approachable and friendly. Got some autographs and still have my program. Julien Lennon was also extremley cordial.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:54 pm

I missd this first time round. Thanks, Doc.

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:13 am

r&b wrote:The first 2 HOF dinners at the Waldorf were open to the public if you wanted to pay. I did and got in that first year, 1986. The event was amazing and I got to meet all the inductees except for Ray Charles. Fats Domino and James Brown were by far the most approachable and friendly. Got some autographs and still have my program. Julien Lennon was also extremley cordial.

Wow!

Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
r&b wrote:The first 2 HOF dinners at the Waldorf were open to the public if you wanted to pay. I did and got in that first year, 1986. The event was amazing and I got to meet all the inductees except for Ray Charles. Fats Domino and James Brown were by far the most approachable and friendly. Got some autographs and still have my program. Julien Lennon was also extremley cordial.

Wow!

Very cool you got to go! I never understood why this wasn't a televised event from the very beginning.