Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The best live version of Hound Dog...

Wed May 05, 2010 1:26 am

It really is one of the most awesome thing's Ive ever heard, that version of Hound Dog. He works on his earlier version at the Milton Berle show, and he makes that ending, even dirtier and bluesier. I've never heard an audience like that too. It must have been one hell of a spectacle to be there that night. Possibly one of the greatest Live moments captured on tape in my opinion.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:It really is one of the most awesome thing's Ive ever heard, that version of Hound Dog. He works on his earlier version at the Milton Berle show, and he makes that ending, even dirtier and bluesier. I've never heard an audience like that too. It must have been one hell of a spectacle to be there that night. Possibly one of the greatest Live moments captured on tape in my opinion.

It's no longer a toss-up: Dec 15, 1956 is the one.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 am

The Dec 56 Hayride does it for me,probably the best sounding version from the 50's
Lets hope Ernst has uncovered some live 50's surprises for his Sun project.That
would be among the best Elvis discoveries ever.

norrie

Wed May 05, 2010 1:45 am

After listening so often to 70's soundboards, and even the great shows say from 1969, when you go back and listen to some of those live tracks like that version of Hound Dog, and then the Hawaii benefit show from '61, it really puts into perspective how INCREDIBLE Elvis was live in person before the comeback era. Although Elvis obvisouly grew as a performer by say 1969 and then again in 1970, nothing tops the raw, power, joy, etc. of the 1950's. You can run out of adjectives describing it.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:51 am

So true hollandgroupc2008.I listened to Hawaii 61 a couple of times recently and once
you get over the poor audio you can hear how good Elvis and the band were and the
excitement they created.

norrie

Wed May 05, 2010 1:58 am

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:After listening so often to 70's soundboards, and even the great shows say from 1969, when you go back and listen to some of those live tracks like that version of Hound Dog, and then the Hawaii benefit show from '61, it really puts into perspective how INCREDIBLE Elvis was live in person before the comeback era. Although Elvis obviously grew as a performer by say 1969 and then again in 1970, nothing tops the raw, power, joy, etc. of the 1950's. You can run out of adjectives describing it.

Yes.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:47 am

Definitely the Berle version. Best one ever - that we've HEARD. And visually the most stunning.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:49 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Definitely the Berle version. Best one ever - that we've HEARD. And visually the most stunning.

Did you miss Greg's posting of the CBS Special version?

Wed May 05, 2010 5:27 am

The ending has a funk to it, doesn't it? I have a love / hate thing with that clip.

Even the song wore me out (the '50s version) but heard after a long time, it still rocks to high heaven.

I "forgive" Elvis for that '77 outing but it's the fans who thought he'd still be able to wail through that song forever who were sadly mislead. He'd grown in new directions and that sort of rocker was at that point beyond his troubled self. Nostalgia has the effect of demanding that the good times go on forever - and they do no - that is, not without a certain amount of irony and to use the over-used and misused expression, "self-parody."
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed May 05, 2010 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I "forgive" Elvis for that '77 outing but it's the fans who thought he'd still be able to wail through that song forever who were sadly mislead. He'd grown in new directions and that sort of rocker was at that point beyound his troubled self. Nostalgia has the effect of demanding that the good times go on forever - and they do not, not without a certain about of irony and to use the over-used and misused expression, "self-parody."

Huh?

Wed May 05, 2010 5:58 am

Ciscoking wrote:August 70 Vegas..the one on The Hillbilly Cat live..with Mexico pre song dialogue..awesome...sheer dynamite..

yes THIS is THE VERSION for me -amazing!~ 8)

Wed May 05, 2010 6:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I "forgive" Elvis for that '77 outing but it's the fans who thought he'd still be able to wail through that song forever who were sadly mislead. He'd grown in new directions and that sort of rocker was at that point beyond his troubled self. Nostalgia has the effect of demanding that the good times go on forever - and they do not, not without a certain amount of irony and to use the over-used and misused expression, "self-parody."

Huh?

Okay, I'll explain a little further, since it's apparently too dense a thought riddled with a typo or too.. As with many artists who grow beyond their initial hits, he was still expected to somehow try to sing a song he had long since lost his range for - let alone his will to sing that sort of song.

Fans are nothing if not demanding. No matter what, they want to hear "their" big hits and that is the heavy task of an entertainer (or is an "artist"?) : do we bend over backwards trying to sing like we did 20 years prior or do we more frankly let them know times and the performer has changed?

Sadly, as with the '74 attempt to jettison "See See Rider/ I Got A Woman/ Amen", etc., Elvis tried to please all - to a fault. He could work in a sort of wink or perform it with a bit of knowing ironic disdain but he was after all still trying to do a song that made sense only as a young early 20-something.

And some fans he'd not please even in the best of circumstances.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:07 am

norrie wrote:So true hollandgroupc2008.I listened to Hawaii 61 a couple of times recently and once
you get over the poor audio you can hear how good Elvis and the band were and the
excitement they created.

norrie

..............Yes Sir!!!

Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 am

Take Mick Jagger, Neil Diamond or Paul McCartney............all in their late 60's and giving full justice to their 60's material fifty years on!

Compare that to Elvis rushing through lousy versions of Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel or Teddy Bear at the age of age 40 less than 20 years of first recordings.

It's no excuse to say he was tired of singing them..........how many times has Jagger sung Satisfaction without making a mockery of it

Just consider McCartneys energy on the NY shows.

Or Cliff Richards superb "oldies" tracks as recorded for the Reunion tour.

Wed May 05, 2010 11:39 am

Take Mick Jagger, Neil Diamond or Paul McCartney............all in their late 60's and giving full justice to their 60's material fifty years on!

Compare that to Elvis rushing through lousy versions of Hound Dog, Don't Be Cruel or Teddy Bear at the age of age 40 less than 20 years of first recordings.

It's no excuse to say he was tired of singing them..........how many times has Jagger sung Satisfaction without making a mockery of it

I definitely take your point, but non of those acts ended up playing 2, or sometimes 3 shows a night during month long runs in Vegas. Elvis probably performed hound dog more in those 7 years or so than Jagger has performed Satisfaction in the last 50! When you're only touring once every few years, as per the acts you've mentioned, then it's easier for the material to remain fresh. When you're doing as many shows as Elvis did in such a short space of time, it's much harder for it not to get stale.

Wed May 05, 2010 11:47 am

DarrylMac wrote:

I definitely take your point, but non of those acts ended up playing 2, or sometimes 3 shows a night during month long runs in Vegas. Elvis probably performed hound dog more in those 7 years or so than Jagger has performed Satisfaction in the last 50! When you're only touring once every few years, as per the acts you've mentioned, then it's easier for the material to remain fresh. When you're doing as many shows as Elvis did in such a short space of time, it's much harder for it not to get stale.

It is no use to redicule Elvis 70s versions... Elvis had become a different kind of entertainer. But I do not understand those fans who swear some 1970 version of Hound Dog is better than the onces Elvis performed in 1956 (either Milton Berle or Hayride) or 1961 (Hawaii). I know one can not argue about taste, but hey... this December 15, 1956 recording is pure rawness, rebellion, hysteria. We never heard this again, not even in 1968, 1969 and 1970 - not THAT rawness, with that rawness not even the Milton Berle version can compete.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:20 pm

there had to be some jokers bring up 21-6-77!!!

Wed May 05, 2010 2:21 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Take Mick Jagger, Neil Diamond or Paul McCartney............all in their late 60's and giving full justice to their 60's material fifty years on!

I feel sorry for Dion DiMucci [of Dion & The Belmonts] in his 70s now, still working, & still required to sing that line: "Why must I be a teenager in love ?" at every performance !

Wed May 05, 2010 3:07 pm

Alexander wrote:Nope Kiwi Alan & Monique, no this one is a Hayride performance from 1956 and definately not the one of the Milton Berle Show. Frankly, both the Milton Berle version and the Lubbock Texas version which just recently passed on my iPod are great but I think this one is superior to both. Back in 1984 RCA just dated it is 1956 but since it is a track from an official release, more details should be known by now...

Hi Alexander. I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say that the version you were talking about was from the Milton Berle show. I was saying (responding to the title of the topic: the best live version of Hound Dog...) that I think the version of Hound dog at the Milton Berle show is the best version. :D It can be that I think this is the best version because we can see what he's doing. 8)

Wed May 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Monique wrote:Hi Alexander. I think you misunderstood me. I didn't say that the version you were talking about was from the Milton Berle show. I was saying (responding to the title of the topic: the best live version of Hound Dog...) that I think the version of Hound dog at the Milton Berle show is the best version. :D It can be that I think this is the best version because we can see what he's doing. 8)

Yep, probably but I guess this topic was a little misunderstoond also :wink: It wasn't meant to be the 'what do you think is the best live version of Hound Dog?' kind of topic since I never asked that question. I wanted to know a little but more about this version since I never saw it rereleased since 1984... And since I was (again) lossing complete control when playing it after a decade, I thought 'this must be the best live version of Hound Dog there is'. Frankly, although I think the Milton Berle one comes close it not that good!

But hey, I have got most of my answers (thanks Doc!), had a great time with the song and have to live with the idea that there are Elvis fans who actually say that they do not play 50s songs... I could imagine this from the soundtrack 60s but this was completely new to me :wink: It raises questions from a more philosopihical matter like: can birds without wings still be called birds. Or can you be an Elvis fan and dislike the 50s... Anyone, feel free to start a topic on that, I am continue to enjoy this great version of Hound Dog.

Wed May 05, 2010 8:31 pm

That December version of Hound Dog, all I can say is I wish I had lived then to see him do that show, absolutely ....almost chilling.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 pm

any version from 1956 is better than ones from 1974-1977 those suck.
get with it. theres more to elvis than boring 1974-1977 sessions or soundboards.

Wed May 05, 2010 11:29 pm

ritchie valens wrote:any version from 1956 is better than ones from 1974-1977 those suck.
get with it. theres more to elvis than boring 1974-1977 sessions or soundboards.

One man's treasure is another's bad luck!

Thu May 06, 2010 1:23 am

I don't know if it's the best version, but one of my favorite live versions of "Hound Dog" is the 1968 stand-up performance that was not used in the Comeback Special (but can be viewed in the box set). At one point, Elvis gets really carried away and starts shaking before letting rip with a literal roar as he drops to his knees, overcome by his own sheer power. That frenzied scene might well be the most orgasmic moment of Elvis's stage career.
Last edited by Revelator on Thu May 06, 2010 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 06, 2010 1:31 am

That's a great moment.