Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Elvis In Memphis:

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:04 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Wonderful topic, Doc - thanks for posting this! ::rocks

rjm wrote:I don't think I ever said "thank you." I commented, but never said thanks. Though I have it on my computer (I showed a friend, years ago), you put the effort into properly formatting a nice hi-res scan to upload, and did upload it! For the ages!

So, thanks - a bit late - for sharing this wonderful piece of history with everyone. It is much appreciated. (And I never did have to do it. ;) )

This is so essential! This piece should have been the liner notes. If they HAD liner notes. They did not; they had a yellow sweater.

You are both very kind.

What blows my mind about the 1969 Rolling Stone review is that it comes from the "hippie" rock magazine of the time, a publication with a decidedly left-leaning publisher, it was the lead review, it was by an artist few in the readership might have cared deeply about at that time, and it did not matter a bit.

Elvis Presley had released perhaps his single greatest album, and that was a fact that merited notice.

Kudos to Rolling Stone, publisher Jann Wenner and critic Peter Guralnick for making it happen.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:37 am

Great, Doc. Thanks. Too bad that the LP didn't reach the Top 10 like his also great predecessor from the 1968 TV Special

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:57 am

The best album in Elvis's career. Great reading! It shows that Elvis's music was now no longer for screaming kids anymore. Elvis was making music with messages for a adult audience. What to say about this time? Guralnick does it a lot better than I can. Thanks doc!

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:18 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Great, Doc. Thanks. Too bad that the LP didn't reach the Top 10 like his also great predecessor from the 1968 TV Special

Well, that's where great album art and liner notes perhaps come in to play. It should have been a gatefold, with original Memphis photography. Perhaps hire Wertheimer again. He would soon do some work on Woodstock.

That could have made a lot of difference. Yeah, you shouldn't judge a record by its cover, but can you blame them? The covers back then let you know what might be inside!

I don't blame those who were put off by the bland cover that gave little or no hint as to what was on that record. People shopped; looked, thought. You can't blame them. They didn't know. If they hadn't read the review, they had no way of knowing.

Elvis's earliest covers were often fantastic! This was not.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:37 pm

Too bad they used a picture from the TV special instead. Like in Aloha cover where they used an uninspired picture from Elvis on Tour.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:41 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Too bad they used a picture from the TV special instead. Like in Aloha cover where they used an uninspired picture from Elvis on Tour.

The contemplative cover shot from June 30, 1968 at NBC Burbank seems well-chosen.

The September 1963 PR photo from "Viva Las Vegas" on the backside seems like an afterthought.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:In honor of Cinco de Mayo, below is perhaps the finest review of Elvis Presley's career.

FromElvisInMemphisLSP4155.jpg

From Elvis In Memphis (RCA LSP 4155, June 1969)

Image from www.elvisrecords.us | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4155-from-elvis-in-memphis/

---

From the carefully-chosen image -- taken from the June 27, 1968 small combo jams taped at NBC for his TV Special -- to the expansive, lead review slot, the so-called "hippie editors" at Rolling Stone knew that this was a significant Elvis Presley album release.

Just look at the records that sat in slots #2-4!

"Now, the secret is out ..."

Critic Peter Guralnick would later go on to create a beautiful, two-part biography of the man.

Enjoy!

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p34.JPG

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p35.JPG

Rolling Stone - Issue 40, August 23, 1969

Thanks Doc. What a fantastic read!! God bless, Peter.
One of the kings finest albums, never get tired of listening to it.

Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 pm

midnightx wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Only the hugely ignorant!

Huh?

The Doc's assessment about "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Rocket 88" b/w "Come Back Where You Belong" gets my vote as well. That's the way I've always viewed it.

Well, I would certainly agree with that it's a toss up between those 2 impeccable, revolutionary recordings, "The beginning of Rock 'n Roll" , no doubt, whatsoever.

As for Elvis Presley's 1969, "From Elvis In Memphis" Lp, It was, and still remains a stellar studio album, from start to finish.

It not only stands the test of time as an Elvis Presley recording, but stands up to anything released at that time and that says a lot, considering the aggressively, beautiful, ever changing musical climate of '69 !!!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:21 pm

Still after all these years my favorite Elvis studio album!

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:18 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Too bad they used a picture from the TV special instead. Like in Aloha cover where they used an uninspired picture from Elvis on Tour.

Sorry to get off topic for a moment but it's my understanding the cover photo for Aloha From Hawaii was taken on April 6, 1972 in Detroit, MI... does anyone know for sure??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis:

Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Wonderful topic, Doc - thanks for posting this! ::rocks

rjm wrote:I don't think I ever said "thank you." I commented, but never said thanks. Though I have it on my computer (I showed a friend, years ago), you put the effort into properly formatting a nice hi-res scan to upload, and did upload it! For the ages!

So, thanks - a bit late - for sharing this wonderful piece of history with everyone. It is much appreciated. (And I never did have to do it. ;) )

This is so essential! This piece should have been the liner notes. If they HAD liner notes. They did not; they had a yellow sweater.

You are both very kind.

What blows my mind about the 1969 Rolling Stone review is that it comes from the "hippie" rock magazine of the time, a publication with a decidedly left-leaning publisher, it was the lead review, it was by an artist few in the readership might have cared deeply about at that time, and it did not matter a bit.

Elvis Presley had released perhaps his single greatest album, and that was a fact that merited notice.

Kudos to Rolling Stone, publisher Jann Wenner and critic Peter Guralnick for making it happen.

Just found this thread. Fabulous one indeed. I used to subscribe o RS back in the day and had this issue. I dumped them all at a flea market many years ago(pre-Ebay). Now that I have the date of the issue, I may seek this one again. Thanks! Passion is the key word.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 am

Here's a very nice summation of the album I just found, by Mojo critic Jim Irvin:

010809_The Mojo Collection p174.JPG

Jim Irvin, The Mojo Collection: The Greatest Albums of All Time (Edinburgh: Canongate Books, August 9, 2001)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:37 am

Thank you, John.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:33 am

Thanks John.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks, John.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:20 am

Great article. Thanks, Doc. it summarized perfectly the wasted Hollywood years and the rebirth of Elvis in 1968-1970 era.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:59 pm

I enjoy these "time machine" posts and read about positive experiences that took place in Elvis' career. As such Doc's contrubutions over the years are always thrilling and enjoyable to read and recapture! From Elvis In Memphis is indeed a highlight in Elvis career. Not only by critics but also among most fans. Even so, two of Elvis' most outstanding albums, Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis are strangely enough not among his biggest sellers.
Still, to me those two sessions including all the tracks recorded are among my most played!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:29 pm

bajo wrote:Even so, two of Elvis' most outstanding albums, Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis are strangely enough not among his biggest sellers.

Being a relatively new Elvis fan, I can tell you why...

Most casual fans have probably never even heard of these albums. To them, Elvis is Hound Dog, All Shook Up, maybe Suspicious Minds and Burning Love, and Aloha From Hawaii. I know this because when I was a casual fan, that's all I knew myself; and I was a casual fan for some time. Elvis' biggest selling albums are Golden Records, Vol. 1 and Aloha From Hawaii for this reason.

I remember seeing a question on Family Feud around 2011 that asked, "Name an Elvis Song." The answers were Hound Dog, Love Me Tender, All Shook Up, Don't Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, and Blue Suede Shoes. Out of a survey of 100 people, this was all that was named. No Suspicious Minds, no Burning Love, no Can't Help Falling in Love, no It's Now or Never, no In The Ghetto, not even A Little Less Conversation.

When I became a hardcore fan of Elvis in the Spring of 2013, I discovered these albums (Elvis is Back and From Elvis in Memphis) and realized what I had been missing this whole time. Now they are my two favorite albums.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:05 pm

Austin wrote:
bajo wrote:Even so, two of Elvis' most outstanding albums, Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis are strangely enough not among his biggest sellers.

Being a relatively new Elvis fan, I can tell you why...

Most casual fans have probably never even heard of these albums. To them, Elvis is Hound Dog, All Shook Up, maybe Suspicious Minds and Burning Love, and Aloha From Hawaii. I know this because when I was a casual fan, that's all I knew myself; and I was a casual fan for some time. Elvis' biggest selling albums are Golden Records, Vol. 1 and Aloha From Hawaii for this reason.

I remember seeing a question on Family Feud around 2011 that asked, "Name an Elvis Song." The answers were Hound Dog, Love Me Tender, All Shook Up, Don't Be Cruel, Heartbreak Hotel, Jailhouse Rock, and Blue Suede Shoes. Out of a survey of 100 people, this was all that was named. No Suspicious Minds, no Burning Love, no Can't Help Falling in Love, no It's Now or Never, no In The Ghetto, not even A Little Less Conversation.

When I became a hardcore fan of Elvis in the Spring of 2013, I discovered these albums (Elvis is Back and From Elvis in Memphis) and realized what I had been missing this whole time. Now they are my two favorite albums.

Excellent observation! Yes this is true among the casual fan or even the non-Elvis but music fan. I always used to ask people(under 50) at my job, to name 5 Elvis songs and they could not get past 3 most of the time and they named the ones you mentioned more often than not.

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:In honor of Cinco de Mayo, below is perhaps the finest review of Elvis Presley's career.

FromElvisInMemphisLSP4155.jpg

From Elvis In Memphis (RCA LSP 4155, June 1969)

Image from www.elvisrecords.us | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4155-from-elvis-in-memphis/

---

From the carefully-chosen image -- taken from the June 27, 1968 small combo jams taped at NBC for his TV Special -- to the expansive, lead review slot, the so-called "hippie editors" at Rolling Stone knew that this was a significant Elvis Presley album release.

Just look at the records that sat in slots #2-4!

"Now, the secret is out ..."

Critic Peter Guralnick would later go on to create a beautiful, two-part biography of the man.

Enjoy!

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p34.JPG

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p35.JPG

Rolling Stone - Issue 40, August 23, 1969

As a subscriber, I remember it well, and was very proud. I wish I had kept that issue. (I did keep the MSG review for some reason). Thanks for posting and letting me relive this wonderful time when us long time Elvis fans finally felt vindicated after years of obscurity in the 60's!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The contemplative cover shot from June 30, 1968 at NBC Burbank seems well-chosen.

The September 1963 PR photo from "Viva Las Vegas" on the backside seems like an afterthought.

I liked the front cover. It was a rock and roll cover IMO. The back cover was ridiculous & dated however. The VLV shot made no sense and almost was a shout-out to the movie years. I wish Elvis had taken more of an interest in his album designs the way Dylan did.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

The Fat Man was recorded in 1949. That pre-dates everything. Yes, it was considered R&B even by the Fat man himself, but it definetly has rock and roll overtones and Im sure was an influence on Elvis. Same thing with Lawdy Miss Clawdy from 1952. But I always considered Rocet 88 to be the first real rock and roll record, and Thats All Right to be the first one by a white artist.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 pm

r&b wrote:The Fat Man was recorded in 1949. That pre-dates everything. Yes, it was considered R&B even by the Fat man himself, but it definetly has rock and roll overtones and Im sure was an influence on Elvis. Same thing with Lawdy Miss Clawdy from 1952. But I always considered Rocet 88 to be the first real rock and roll record, and Thats All Right to be the first one by a white artist.

What about Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock"...?

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
r&b wrote:The Fat Man was recorded in 1949. That pre-dates everything. Yes, it was considered R&B even by the Fat man himself, but it definetly has rock and roll overtones and Im sure was an influence on Elvis. Same thing with Lawdy Miss Clawdy from 1952. But I always considered Rocet 88 to be the first real rock and roll record, and Thats All Right to be the first one by a white artist.

What about Bill Haley's "Rock Around The Clock"...?

Well that came out in 1955 right? Elvis already had several records out by that time as did Fats and others. However, because of Blackboard Jungle, the Haley record truly became the first rock and roll radio & chart mega hit and started the revolution.

Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:11 am

r&b wrote:Well that came out in 1955 right? Elvis already had several records out by that time as did Fats and others. However, because of Blackboard Jungle, the Haley record truly became the first rock and roll radio & chart mega hit and started the revolution.

"(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock" was issued to little notice in May 1954, reissued in May 1955 and exploded due to its use in "Blackboard Jungle."

See:
For Franny --> "(We're Gonna) Rock Around The Clock"
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=81929

Elvis loved the song, just like any other normal person his age.