Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

Tue May 04, 2010 4:53 am

In honor of Cinco de Mayo, below is perhaps the finest review of Elvis Presley's career.

FromElvisInMemphisLSP4155.jpg

From Elvis In Memphis (RCA LSP 4155, June 1969)

Image from www.elvisrecords.us | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4155-from-elvis-in-memphis/

---

From the carefully-chosen image -- taken from the June 27, 1968 small combo jams taped at NBC for his TV Special -- to the expansive, lead review slot, the so-called "hippie editors" at Rolling Stone knew that this was a significant Elvis Presley album release.

Just look at the records that sat in slots #2-4!

"Now, the secret is out ..."

Critic Peter Guralnick would later go on to create a beautiful, two-part biography of the man.

Enjoy!

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p34.JPG

690823_Rolling Stone 40 p35.JPG

Rolling Stone - Issue 40, August 23, 1969
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

Tue May 04, 2010 8:38 am

Wonderful article and fantastic shot! I'll keep a copy of it next to ELVIS COUNTRY review (also from Guralnick, also in RS).
Thank you, Doc.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 am

great read, thanks Doc

Tue May 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Great ! The article was re-printed in the booklet for the cd-release of FEIM in the 90s.
Never saw that picture from the sit-down show. Awesome !
Love to see and read these original reviews

Tue May 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks for posting...A gem of an album.

Amazingly, I'll occasionally hear a detractor from here or there here or other sites, but that's just silly. :lol:

Tue May 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Thanks for posting...A gem of an album.

Amazingly, I'll occasionally hear a detractor from here or there here or other sites, but that's just silly. :lol:

Usually their motives are quite transparent.

Tue May 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Thanks Doc for this great treasure. Elvis on the top of the music with Rolling Stones, Otis Redding and The Doors. Of course great and legendary records too.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:In honor of Cinco de Mayo, below is perhaps the finest review of Elvis Presley's career.

From Elvis In Memphis - RCA LSP 4155 (1969)

Image from www.elvisrecords.us | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database:
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-4155-from-elvis-in-memphis/

---

From the carefully-chosen image -- taken from the June 27, 1968 small combo jams taped at NBC for his TV Special -- to being given the expansive, lead review slot, the so-called "hippie editors" at Rolling Stone knew that this was a significant Elvis Presley album release. Just look at the records that sit in slots #2-4!

"Now, the secret is out ..."

Critic Peter Guralnick would later go on to create a beautiful two-part biography of the man.

Enjoy.

Rolling Stone #40 - Aug 23, 1969

Excellent detective work, Doc. Thank you.

The elvisrecords website is new to me. Very, very cool. Browsing through the 70s singles and noticing how often Elvis tended to ignore his latest record while on tour or in Vegas. Must have driven RCA crazy.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 pm

Thank you very much for the kind words.

This is one hell of a powerful review from THE rock and roll magazine of the time.
I sure hope Elvis got a chance to read it.

"What is new, and what is obvious from the first notes of the record, is the evident passion which Elvis has invested in the music and at the same time the risk he as taken in doing so."

Passion and risk -- how many times have we ever associated these qualities with Elvis and his music?
Perhaps to just about every great track he cut in 1968 and 1969.

In 1968 and 1969, our hero was at the top of his game.

Wed May 05, 2010 12:50 am

midnightx wrote:

Well, what I mean is, to the degree that it's more of a theme album, with some riskier material, more blues, R&B , more raw country and even some darker material, it loses some who want short Top 10 ready "Please Don't Drag That String Around" light - Elvis.

If someone disses this album, they're probably a bit deaf to a lot of other great music. That's their right but it strikes me as somewhat embarassing to admit. :lol:

Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 am

Great review,love what he wrote about I'll Hold You In My Heart and Long Black Limousine
two of the diamonds in an album of gems

have a happy fifth of May Doc!

norrie

Wed May 05, 2010 12:57 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Well, what I mean is, to the degree that it's more of a theme album, with some riskier material, more blues, R&B , more raw country and even some darker material, it loses some who want short Top 10 ready "Please Don't Drag That String Around" light - Elvis.

If someone disses this album, they're probably a bit deaf to a lot of other great music. That's their right but it strikes me as somewhat embarassing to admit. :lol:

FEIM has always had it's share of critics since it was released.
I don't think it would be embarrassing to admit to not liking it, but it would be an unpopular thing to say on this message board because the majority on here love it.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 am

FEIM has always had it's share of critics since it was released

Well you for one

Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 am

norrie wrote:
FEIM has always had it's share of critics since it was released

Well you for one

Yes, that's right

Wed May 05, 2010 1:35 am

It's beyond any argument that nothing Elvis released after RCA LPM 4155 was as good.

It's pretty neat to know that the huge photo depicts Scotty Moore and Elvis Presley -- without them, no rock 'n' roll.

Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 am

It's beyond any argument that nothing Elvis released after RCA LPM 4155 was as good.

No argument here.

norrie

Wed May 05, 2010 2:02 am

It's pretty neat to know that the huge photo depicts Scotty Moore and Elvis Presley -- without them, no rock 'n' roll.

Not true

Ever heard of Bill Haley,Platters, Little Richard and others to numerous to mention.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:10 am

KiwiAlan wrote:

Not true

Ever heard of Bill Haley,Platters, Little Richard and others to numerous to mention.

We've had this dicussion before

Elvis was making rock n' roll music before Little Richard. PERIOD

I don't consider the Platters to be rock n' roll

Wed May 05, 2010 2:26 am

brian wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:

Not true

Have you not heard the Little Richard Peacock/RCA recordings made in 1951...PERIOD

You may not consider the Platers rock and roll....the real world does.

Of course you know that Bill Haley recorded Rock Around The Clock April 12 1954 having knocked off Creazy Man Crazy the year before.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
brian wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:

Not true

Have you not heard the Little Richard Peacock/RCA recordings made in 1951...PERIOD

You may not consider the Platers rock and roll....the real world does.

Of course you know that Bill Haley recorded Rock Around The Clock April 12 1954 having knocked off Creazy Man Crazy the year before.

Little Richard was jump blues artist then.

I bet lots of people would disagree about the platters being a rock n' roll group.

Yes, I know about Haley

Wed May 05, 2010 2:37 am

I would like to thank Dr.Carpenter for taking the time to post this review.

it's nice to see reviews of Elvis' work when he was still alive.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:39 am

It's all good.

Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Others say it is CHESS 1458 and "Rocket 88" b/w "Come Back Where You Belong" (1951).

My vote is split between these two phenomenal releases.

Coincidentally, both were taped at 706 Union by a man named Sam Phillips.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:43 am

Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Only the hugely ignorant!

Wed May 05, 2010 2:50 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Huh?

The Doc's assessment about "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" and "Rocket 88" b/w "Come Back Where You Belong" gets my vote as well. That's the way I've always viewed it.

Wed May 05, 2010 2:53 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Many subscribe to the idea that SUN 209, "That's All Right" b/w "Blue Moon of Kentucky" is THE beginning (1954).

Please, let's not derail the topic with such piffle.

Post subject: From Elvis In Memphis: "And Now The Secret Is Out"

How about a comment on-topic? Thank you.