Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD Cut me & I bleed?

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 am

rlj4ep wrote:I don't see how this particular release would fit with the stated purpose of the FTD label.

rlj

The same could be said about "Hits of the 70's", and yet....

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 am

Yes..., that is true

rlj

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 am

rlj4ep wrote:I don't see how this particular release would fit with the stated purpose of the FTD label.

rlj

:lol:

Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:12 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
Energy Catalyzer wrote:Fool Album here
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=73922

Aah, I see! We as Elvis fans are so lucky to have this. FTD needs to get this on the market, fast....then watch Apple try to copy their success by putting out a cd of Beatles cussing, making inappropriate comments, etc. "Don't Want No Pakistanis"

You above example is misinformed.

The Beatles comment was not "inappropriate," it was a lament about a racist-tinged statements in the news at that time.

Race issues evidently played on McCartney's mind during the Get Back sessions. He led The Beatles through Commonwealth, an unreleased improvised satire loosely based on British politician Enoch Powell's notorious 'Rivers of blood' speech.

The most infamous of the unreleased Get Back versions is known as No Pakistanis, and contained the line "Don't dig no Pakistanis taking all the people's jobs". While mostly unfinished, the song did include a mumbled rhyming couplet which paired the words 'Puerto Rican' with 'Mohican'.

Various demo versions of this early version were recorded, one of which contains the following lines:

Meanwhile back at home too many Pakistanis
Living in a council flat
Candidate Macmillan, tell us what your plan is
Won't you tell us where you're at?

Despite being satirical in nature, it didn't prevent accusations of racism being levelled at McCartney for years to come, after the Get Back bootlegs became public.

When we were doing Let It Be, there were a couple of verses to Get Back which were actually not racist at all - they were anti-racist. There were a lot of stories in the newspapers then about Pakistanis crowding out flats - you know, living 16 to a room or whatever. So in one of the verses of Get Back, which we were making up on the set of Let It Be, one of the outtakes has something about 'too many Pakistanis living in a council flat' - that's the line. Which to me was actually talking out against overcrowding for Pakistanis... If there was any group that was not racist, it was the Beatles. I mean, all our favourite people were always black. We were kind of the first people to open international eyes, in a way, to Motown.

Paul McCartney

Rolling Stone, 1986

http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/get-back/

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Oh, I just knew that you would take this oh-so seriously, Dr.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:14 am

Lonely Summer wrote:Oh, I just knew that you would take this oh-so seriously, Dr.

Condescending reply aside, when casting aspersions upon someone's character, one should not talk out of one's rear.

Facts are always important.

Thank you.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:Oh, I just knew that you would take this oh-so seriously, Dr.

Condescending reply aside, when casting aspersions upon someone's character, one should not talk out of one's rear.

Facts are always important.

Thank you.

Yes, Lord God Carpenter, I humbly bow to you. Lighten up, Doc, it was a joke.