Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Another Albert Goldman interview

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:55 am

Not sure if this has been posted on FECC before.
New to me, nonetheless, maybe new to you too.
phpBB [video]

PEP 8)

Re: Another Albert Goldman interview

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 am

He sounds like Donald Duck :D

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:14 am

Interesting.
Hey,the Brits gave him hell!
It would be interesting to hear his complete answer to the last question(we all knew he didnt like Elvis' music).
Thank you,PEP!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:37 am

Albert Goldman,a waste of good oxygen

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:38 am

keninlincs wrote:Albert Goldman,a waste of good oxygen

And human space.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:55 am

He should of gotten a hit to the head with a baseball bat!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:00 am

In March, 1994, aged 66, he suffered a fatal heart attack on a flight to the UK.

Not one relative or friend came forward to claim the body !

Albert Goldman.jpg

Rumours that the airline used him, for a while, as a runway bird-scarer at London's Heathrow Airport remain unfounded......................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:20 am

They should of thrown his body out of the plane as it made it's way over the English Channel!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 am

yeah i remember watching this on tv at the time.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Basically I have a bigger problem with Colonel Tom Parker and his role in Elvis life than that of Albert Goldman. Goldman was very focused on the negative (sensational) side of Elvis which makes the book very balanced but not necesarilly completely untrue. He basically did the same as the ghostwriter on Elvis What Happened? did, which is a very destructive kind of journalism - if we may call it that. Later on, he walked in his own sword when he rediculed himself with the Last 24hrs book. The prospect of making money does not arise the most pleasant behavior in anyone's character. I happen to find that even more compromising with our Colonel than with this creature to be frank.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:56 pm

Alexander wrote:Basically I have a bigger problem with Colonel Tom Parker and his role in Elvis life than that of Albert Goldman.
Goldman was very focused on the negative (sensational) side of Elvis which makes the book very balanced but not necesarilly completely untrue.

Unbalanced, surely ?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:02 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:They should of thrown his body out of the plane as it made it's way over the English Channel!
That wouldn't be fair on the poor fish.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:31 pm

ColinB wrote:
Alexander wrote:Basically I have a bigger problem with Colonel Tom Parker and his role in Elvis life than that of Albert Goldman.
Goldman was very focused on the negative (sensational) side of Elvis which makes the book very balanced but not necesarilly completely untrue.

Unbalanced, surely ?

UNbalanced, yep sorry...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:42 pm

Just found out that rented pallbearers for Goldman's funeral, were paid $20 each, plus expenses! :wink: What a piece of shite he was! :evil:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Hey! I really enjoyed his "Lives of John Lennon" book.
A good friend gave me his "Elvis" book and I'm looking forward to reading it.
After all the opinions here on it I'll probably end up thinking it's not that bad!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

javilu wrote:Hey! I really enjoyed his "Lives of John Lennon" book.
After all the opinions here on it I'll probably end up thinking it's not that bad!

It'll probably come in handy if you run out of toilet paper....Then again perhaps not because more $h1t would come off the paper.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:58 pm

Maybe Goldman was right ? Maybe Elvis was in big trouble the last year of his life and especially the last 24 hours, maybe Elvis only lived on pills that last year, maybe he was a junk ? Maybe he had depressions especially after "Elvis What Happened" was released. Maybe it was an accidental suicide that fatal night because of all the pills he took...
Last edited by Ton Bruins on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

Much of it has already been discredited completely. Ask LTB or DJC for some thoughts on it.

I'll pick a time when I'm in the mood to actually watch that creep (the clip..)

Jav, it's worth reading in some respects only for covering the Col. Parker/ Elvis dynamic and some of his writing about early Elvis is sort of interesting. Otherwise, it's so full of garbage that it's totally discredited for being a hatchet-job that never should have gotten such attention. It was all over ROLLING STONE, TIME, TV GUIDE, and other even serialized in Sunday newspapers at the time, usually with a great army period photo...but then a piece about what a sickie, perverted druggie he was...

Thank goodness the imperfect but comparably great Guralnick series seems to have displaced it in libraries across the country.

I still get a sick feeling when I see the ugly book cover as I remember even in my teens thinking.."Is it me or does this guy really have it out for Elvis?" Remember it was taken as fact initially and seen as an "expose" before being exposed as a hit piece.

I read excerpts and then took the book home from the library. It didn't help my image of Elvis but I picked up on its evil intent and so factored that out. It's the epitomy of the love/ hate dynamic about stars and even Elvis among American people at that time. His stardom was so all encompassing that it threatened some people and became a think to take down a peg. It sort of reminds me of that thug i("I figure his color's yella.."!)n "Loving You" diner who knows he can't compete with Elvis and tries to bring him down a notch.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:50 pm

i've often wondered if the translation was good
I have a doubt that, maybe i own a light version .....

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 pm

WHY did I open that link? Why? Sometimes, we never learn...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Great stuff. Cool to see Edwin Starr in there.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:40 pm

Gary1 wrote:
javilu wrote:Hey! I really enjoyed his "Lives of John Lennon" book.

It'll probably come in handy if you run out of toilet paper....Then again perhaps not because more $h1t would come off the paper.

Urgh!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Ah the legendary Tony Prince at the end there! A far cry from the slightly built figure in the superman top riding the tandem bike with Peter Aldersley round the streets of Luxembourg in TTWII!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 pm

Ton Bruins wrote:...Maybe it was an accidental suicide that fatal night because of all the pills he took...

If suicide is the deliberate taking of one's own life, it's hard to see how it can ever be 'accidental'...................

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Goldman was an author who found his niche early on. Elvis was not the first person he had success in diparaging. In fact, he build his academic reputation on that strategy.

There will be books like his as long as there is a market for them. Just look at Nash's trash. Not very surprising that the same guy that contributed to Goldman's great work of fiction was a main contributer to her Colonel and Mafia book. These guys live on fans that are looking for the one and only truth about Elvis Presley.