Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

How Do I get the complete 68 combackusing IMPORTS w OFFICIAL

Fri May 02, 2003 2:07 am

I know I asked this before on the old board, but I will copy the answers this time. I had forgotten to go back, and now it is gone.

How does one get all(or most) of the 68 comback, including rehearsal

In other words, is there sets that supplement
Tiger Man
Memories
Burbank 68

Or are there better ways to get the contents and more from imports. Please fogive my repeat question. Again, I wish I would have copied the original post.
Last edited by genesim on Fri May 02, 2003 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri May 02, 2003 7:31 am

Hi Genesim,

Are you asking about bootlegs or official releases? On bootleg, there is a two cd set called "The '68 Comeback Vol. 1 & 2". Those are two good cds that include unreleased studio performances. Also, the three cds "Complete Burbank Sessions". These include the two stand-up and two sit-down shows.
I'm not trying to sell you here but I put together a 6 cd set of every performance that's been released by BMG and on unofficial releases. It's nice to have them all in one place.
Hope this helps.

jeff R

Fri May 02, 2003 12:17 pm

They should have the box set with the original show, then all the other material.
All in one box set. :D

:mrgreen:

Fri May 02, 2003 1:37 pm

Yes carolyn that would be nice. It's such a disappointment that Elvis is the greatest of entertainers yet these other artists have so much put out in the way of DVDs (with extras) etc. and we can only dream of good quality releases. Maybe one day. :?

Fri May 02, 2003 9:37 pm

bump. Thanks to all, but I need more details!!!

Fri May 02, 2003 10:14 pm

1968 BURBANK PRODUCTION SESSIONS - Outtakes from June 28-30, 1968 for the TV Special. VIP-058
1968 COMEBACK VOL. 1 - outtakes from the 1968 TV Special.
1968 COMEBACK VOL. 2 - More outtakes from the 1968 TV Special.
BURBANK PRE-RECORDINGS - Recordings from June 20-June23, 1968 for the TV Special.
BURBANK SESSIONS - June 27, 1968 live TV concert. SPHINX CD-007 SOUNDBOARD
BURBANK SESSIONS VOL. 2 - June 29, 1968 BOTH 6PM & 8PM shows. SOUNDBOARD 2 CD SET
COMPLETE BURBANK SESSIONS VOL. 1 - June 27, 1968 6PM live performance. AUDIFON 627968
COMPLETE BURBANK SESSIONS VOL. 2 - June 29, 1968 6PM and 8PM live performances. AUDIFON 627968
COMPLETE BURBANK SESSIONS VOL. 3 - June 27, 1968 8PM live performance. Audifon 627968
COMPLETE DRESSING ROOM SESSION - Dressing room rehearsals from June 24-26, 1968.
COMPLETE 1968 COMBACK SESSIONS - All songs from the 1968 TV Special. Includes both sit-down and both stand-up performances plus all masters, rehearsals and alternate takes.

I hope this helps.

Tom

Fri May 02, 2003 10:24 pm

Ok Tom out of those, which is the best to get. In order to get everything that was played/released, already owning TIgerman, Memories and Burbank 68, what is the best way to go. My problem is that I seen all those imports and didn't know what to get.

'68 material

Fri May 02, 2003 11:27 pm

genesim,

This won't directly answer your question, sorry, but it is relevant to your question I think.

Tigerman and Memories are all you need for the complete sit-down shows, in the best sound quality, in my opinion. I believe they are complete, unedited, and of the best quality found anywhere.

For the Stand-up shows, the versions on Memories and Burbank '68 have the best sound quality, but unfortunately they are heavily edited with selections from both shows spliced together on both CDs, portions missing, and overdubbed applause in places. Therefore, the original NBC TV Special CD and Silver Box (Elvis Aron Presley) and the Lightyear '68 comeback special official DVD are essential in obtaining a more complete version of the standup shows in the best sound quality. For the parts of the standup shows that aren't officially released, as far as I know the COMPLETE BURBANK SESSIONS VOL. 2 is the place to get the rest, although portions of these shows were apparently not recorded, because the video tape machines were shut off when things went bad, so we may never get to hear the complete version of "One Night" from the first standup show, and the TV cameras were also switched off during Elvis' voiceovers of the Trouble/Guitarman portion of the standup shows a couple of times.

Now, regarding the studio material, I like what the official Memories CD has to offer in terms of the masters, but some purists won't like the fact that they are remixed, so again the NBC TV Special CD is a good buy. And, there have been a few outtakes, i think on last year's TT&F box. I haven't studied whether or not there are more studio outtakes, so I'll let someone else address that. Was there something on one of the Legendary Performer series?

There are alleged instrumental versions of If I Can Dream, which is supposed to be the backing track Elvis sung to in the white suit, but if you listen closely, you can hear his studio vocal in there very quiet, so my guess, although I can't prove it, is that someone simply ran the stereo master through the so called Out Of Phase Stereo (OOPS) process to eliminate the vocal (karaoke machine), so I do not consider that an essential one to get.

Regarding the two sit-down rehearsals, I think the CD entitled "COMPLETE DRESSING ROOM SESSION" has these in their entirety, unfortunately they believed BMG's typo on the Burbank '68 CD and messed up the running order just to put one track at the end allegedly recorded on the 26th, which never happened.

Also, Elvis did voice overs on a handful of takes of If I Can Dream, Trouble, Guitar Man, etc and I have these all on video, but haven't got them on CD. Platinum and Memories have a couple of these If I Can Dream voice overs if I remember correctly.

Sorry I don't have a tidy list of all this stuff, but I'd be happy to help you sort it all out offline if you want to email me. Or maybe someone that has already figured it out can let you know. Also, Much of this info is on http://www.elvisrecordings.com.

Hope this helps.

Greg (glob35@aol.com)

Sat May 03, 2003 12:02 am

Currently it takes about 8 full CD-Rs to house <u>all</u> of Elvis Presley's 20-30 June 1968 recordings at Western and Burbank studios. And that doen't include the material issued on 2002's Today, Tomorrow & Forever box set.

Sat May 03, 2003 12:10 am

Thanks to all that responded. Greg especially. I have been given detailed answers in the past, now I will save this answer. Doc, didn't know it would take so many!! Anyway, it don't matter, more to listen to ya know.

Sat May 03, 2003 12:43 am

The more you read, the more you learn.

Sat May 03, 2003 6:33 am

I've got everything from the 20-30 on 6 cdrs. I don't know of anything that I don't have. I have every release that's been listed on this thread and more but it still only comes up to 6 cds with space for more songs on some. Actually I could have got them on 5 cds if I went the whole 80 minutes but I kept everything in some kind of order.

jeff R

Sat May 03, 2003 6:41 am

If you include all sources -- LP, CD and VHS -- it runs to 8 CD-Rs.

Sat May 03, 2003 7:07 am

Yes, you are right about adding the VHS versions. I thought when you originally said 8 cds, you meant cd and vinyl releases. I was wondering "what am I missing"?
A new set of '68 outtakes would be most welcome in my collection.
I simply can't get enough of the comeback sessions and the '69 Memphis sessions.

jeff R

Sat May 03, 2003 10:41 am

I can't get enough either...

The 68 material as well :oops:

:mrgreen:

Sat May 03, 2003 12:38 pm

His 68 comeback special is great.

Didn't know there is so much on these comeback.