Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

1969 Monologue Query

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:38 pm

The first time I heard one of the 1969 monologues about his career was on Having Fun On Stage. It's the one where he refers to the Louisiana Hayride (football fields, barns etc) and was used during a number of documentaries.

Has the complete show that this particular monologue came from been released, as on of the many 69 shows from BMG / FTD? I have At The International, Live In Las Vegas (disc 1) and All Shook Up, but don't (yet) have Elvis In Person FTD or Viva Las Vegas.

Re: 1969 Monologue Query

Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:14 pm

I found that particular monologue hilarious when I first got the album in 1979.

I too would love to hear that in context.

Geoff

Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:20 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Has the complete show that this particular monologue came from been released ...

IIRC, no it has not.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:17 pm

Thanks Doc

Something to look forward to.

Geoff

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:15 pm

It would be neat to confirm which shows were dissected for that album. Anyone dared try to figure it out?

Aug 1969 (Las Vegas)
Jun 1974 (on tour)

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:It would be neat to confirm which shows were dissected for that album. Anyone dared try to figure it out?

Aug 1969 (Las Vegas)
Jun 1974 (on tour)

Yes, I once started doing it and then abandoned it. I can try again. I think the comment to the Lousiana Hayride may be from the August 3, 1969 Dinner Show show recently re-released on "Return of the Prodigy".

There are loads of clips from 1969 multi-tracks, 1971, 1974 (on tour and Tahoe, I believe) and even snippets from the Sep. 1973 Closing Show, IIRC.

I actually don't have the record..can someone post to youtube?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:34 pm

thanks guys - much appreciated.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:29 am

Mike C wrote:Yes, I once started doing it and then abandoned it. I can try again. I think the comment to the Lousiana Hayride may be from the August 3, 1969 Dinner Show show recently re-released on "Return of the Prodigy".

There are loads of clips from 1969 multi-tracks, 1971, 1974 (on tour and Tahoe, I believe) and even snippets from the Sep. 1973 Closing Show, IIRC.

Can you post your work? I'm curious.

The "Hayride" reference is from a 1974 tape, IIRC.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:Yes, I once started doing it and then abandoned it. I can try again. I think the comment to the Lousiana Hayride may be from the August 3, 1969 Dinner Show show recently re-released on "Return of the Prodigy".

Can you post your work? I'm curious.

I have my notes somewhere but I'll have to find it. I started at first by breaking it out by year. Do you have a copy on cd? Perhaps, I could send you a B&P for it.

At points, it became frustrating trying to date the shows, so I gave up.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 am

Doc, it's definitely from 1969 (at least the one I'm thinking about is). Its the same monologue where he jokes about how to pronounce "memphis" - I was driving a truck in mumphus, you gotta be real lose when you say it...", and the sentence is "we were playing football fields, barns, the louisiana hayride, yessir". Also, same monologue where he's referring to hollywood, and he's saying that "they'd say action, and go uh uh huh". It's maybe the best of the 69 monologues, which is why I was keen to hunt it out if it was out there somewhere.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:57 pm

DarrylMac wrote:

Doc, it's definitely from 1969 (at least the one I'm thinking about is). Its the same monologue where he jokes about how to pronounce "memphis" - I was driving a truck in mumphus, you gotta be real lose when you say it...", and the sentence is "we were playing football fields, barns, the louisiana hayride, yessir". Also, same monologue where he's referring to hollywood, and he's saying that "they'd say action, and go uh uh huh". It's maybe the best of the 69 monologues, which is why I was keen to hunt it out if it was out there somewhere.

If those are the quotes. then its definitely from the August 3, 1969 dinner show...you can hear someone mention the Lousiana Hayride, just before he says "yessir"

phpBB [video]

Listen about 5:25 in for the "Memphis" prononciation.

At about 5:55, is the "yessir" comment.

And about 7:57 in, you'll hear the "action" comment

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

That sounds like it, but I'm sure there's a lump missing about the army days.

Geoff

Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:55 pm

Mike C wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Doc, it's definitely from 1969 (at least the one I'm thinking about is). Its the same monologue where he jokes about how to pronounce "memphis" - I was driving a truck in mumphus, you gotta be real lose when you say it...", and the sentence is "we were playing football fields, barns, the louisiana hayride, yessir". Also, same monologue where he's referring to hollywood, and he's saying that "they'd say action, and go uh uh huh". It's maybe the best of the 69 monologues, which is why I was keen to hunt it out if it was out there somewhere.

If those are the quotes. then its definitely from the August 3, 1969 dinner show...you can hear someone mention the Lousiana Hayride, just before he says "yessir"

phpBB [video]

How cool -- this means Boxcar (AKA Parker) used this tape in 1974 for an official release!

There is still some debate as to exactly how the August 3, 1969 DS audio was recorded.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

tupelo_boy wrote:That sounds like it, but I'm sure there's a lump missing about the army days.

Geoff

Its possible that Boxcar flew in other parts of the speech from the other '69 shows on multitrack tape.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:38 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:
DarrylMac wrote:Doc, it's definitely from 1969 (at least the one I'm thinking about is). Its the same monologue where he jokes about how to pronounce "memphis" - I was driving a truck in mumphus, you gotta be real lose when you say it...", and the sentence is "we were playing football fields, barns, the louisiana hayride, yessir". Also, same monologue where he's referring to hollywood, and he's saying that "they'd say action, and go uh uh huh". It's maybe the best of the 69 monologues, which is why I was keen to hunt it out if it was out there somewhere.

phpBB [video]

How cool -- this means Boxcar (AKA Parker) used this tape in 1974 for an official release!

There is still some debate as to exactly how the August 3, 1969 DS audio was recorded.

This makes a lot of sense because we know Joan Deary or someone else scoured Parker's soundbaords to compiple the album. For example at the top of this tape box for the 1/28/71 MS (later released on Lean, Mean and Kickin' Butt), you can see the written phrase "no usable talking - 7/30/74". The tape box also notes that Joan copied many of these tapes to 15 ips and cassette tapes in 1978.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:43 pm

Does the outsourcing of those soundboards for the Having Fun release have anything to do with which have made it out to the bootleg world?
I ask this because there is a parallel with the world of the Beach Boys, where some tape copying done for the American Band documentary in the 80's ended up providing collectors with about 90% of the studio material on the black market.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 am

Mike C wrote:
tupelo_boy wrote:That sounds like it, but I'm sure there's a lump missing about the army days.

Geoff

Its possible that Boxcar flew in other parts of the speech from the other '69 shows on multitrack tape.

Possible, but I would have thought unlikely for the care and attention that The Colonel lavished on this production.

Geoff

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:06 am

tupelo_boy wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Geoff

Possible, but I would have thought unlikely for the care and attention that The Colonel lavished on this production.

Geoff

Certainly all of the 1969 monolouges on the LP do not derive from this show. Perhaps. the Colonel used the soundboard tapes of shows RCA recorded between Augsut 21-26, 1969, such as the on found on Here I Go Again.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:42 am

DarrylMac wrote:

I think so too.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 am

I've always wanted the LP details but nobody ever has done it.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:10 am

I tackled this issue in an article in ‘Elvis Monthly’ in the late 80s, but since then a lot more info & recordings have come to light.