Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Is the Elvis birthplace in Tupelo the original house?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:20 am

intheghetto wrote:Easy question I know. I'm reading 'Elvis and Gladys', and the author has me a little confused. Is that in fact the original house where Elvis was born?

Officially, it is, yes.

When all the empty [& identical] surrounding houses were finally destroyed, the demolition crew was instructed to preserve 'the one Elvis lived in'.

It wasn't well-known or easily identifiable then, & with no neighbours around to check with [or to check on them] what's the betting they just 'saved' the best-preserved & most presentable one there ?

Who would know ?

One thing is certain; it's not currently situated on the site where it was when the Presley family lived in it....................

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:48 am

It is (supposed to be?) the original house. Like Colin already said, it's not standing at the exact spot as where it used to stay. They moved it a little to the left. Probably because they needed the space for the museum and other things.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:50 am

So in other words: officially it is, in really it is not. Confusing ColinB but your answer is accurate I think...

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:15 am

At least it reminds us of how the house looked. I was a bit disappointed when I visited the house. It didn't feel authentic. And the museum was really bad. This was back in 2000 so I hope it's better now.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:25 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote:At least it reminds us of how the house looked. I was a bit disappointed when I visited the house. It didn't feel authentic. And the museum was really bad. This was back in 2000 so I hope it's better now.

I liked the little museum. Loved to see the darkblue translucent blouse with white flowers. :smt007 There was one thing in the museum I was really "surprised" about: a copy of the "original" birth-certificate with Elvis's name spelled: Elvis Aaron Presley. How original can that certificate be? :roll:

Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:38 pm

carolynlm wrote:As far as I know, the house ahs been moved quite a long way, not just to the left......but I'd have to look it up.

If I'm right, the Presley house was the second in line and is now places where the first house was standing. At least that's what I understood (and remember) from the photos in the little museum.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I had read somewhere that it was the original house but not in the original position - and that the house had been moved before being returned to the site it occupies now. I can't remember where I read this though.

I asked the woman in the house when I visited last summer and she said it was the original house on the original site - but didn't really give me much confidence that she knew all that much to be honset.

I wonder how long the neighbourhood lasted after the Presley's moved out. I mean these depression era shacks with no real amenities must have been prime targets for post WW2 slum clearance projects? Considering it would have been the mid 1950s by the time Elvis achieved national fame - would these neighbourhoods have been cleared before then?

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:01 pm

AndrewJ wrote:I wonder how long the neighbourhood lasted after the Presley's moved out.
I mean these depression era shacks with no real amenities must have been prime targets for post WW2 slum clearance projects?
Considering it would have been the mid 1950s by the time Elvis achieved national fame - would these neighbourhoods have been cleared before then?

Albert Hand reported in the Elvis Monthly about his visit to the house in 1962.

He needed Vernon's help to find it, and it was empty & decrepit at that time.

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:38 pm

It's not the original house , that was already destroyed during the sixties as most of the neithourhood.
They made it a museum unofficial in the early eighties (as reaction to the opening of Graceland ) Not much else to got to Tupelo for , right huh ? Anything in it is not from Elvis family.....
But it's a standard shotgun house kind like Elvis and his family lived in. That's correct.
This was later build and they didn't even know the excact spot anymore ............

::rocks

Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:58 pm

It's just another tourist attraction

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:26 pm

For a very brief period of time there were photos on display in the museum, of Lisa as a teenager visiting the birth place house, and sitting at the kitchen table, so presumably she thought it was authentic enough to visit. One imagines she would know through family talk whether or not the house is original. It was Janelle who took her there, and at one of the University discussions during Elvis Week in the 80s or 90s, Janelle told how Lisa had asked her where the outhouse was. Janelle replied "Who told you about that?" and Lisa answered "My Daddy."

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Didn't Elvis go back to show people where he lived?
Elvis would know wouldn't he?
Also, Janelle Mccomb told the news crew once that was the house.
Last edited by ekenee on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:11 am

It's the original house, but over the years it's been fitted with new walls, a new roof and a couple of replacement doors. :lol:

Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:19 pm

I think it's as original as it can be considering the years.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:57 pm

Photos of that house always make me sad but it's a great piece of Elvis history at the same time.He really did start with nothing.

Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I don't have dates on these, but interesting, anyway...

This one is from the back of the house...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 am

what i read in the museum was that Vernon Presley himself gave some information about how there house looked like in those days.......so they rebuild it with a litlle help of Vernon....
By the way in the Tupelo museum there is a hammer on the wall .....and with that hammer Vernon build the original house...yeah right! :?

marcel

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:51 am

One time i visited and i was told that the walls,window frames,door frames were all original. I believe it may be the same house.Check out this picture of Vernon at the house in the 60's i believe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:38 pm

Ted wrote:One time i visited and i was told that the walls,window frames,door frames were all original.
I believe it may be the same house.
Check out this picture of Vernon at the house in the 60's i believe.

Unfortunately, old photos aren't a great help because all the houses were virtually identical !

Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:28 am

ekenee wrote:Didn't Elvis go back to show people where he lived?
Elvis would know wouldn't he?
Also, Janelle Mccomb told the news crew once that was the house.

First, who is Janelle?

Second, for how long did Elvis live in that house or such a house? In "Day by Day", under May 3 1939, I read that Gladys and Elvis "have been forced to move in with relatives in East Tupelo" when Vernon was in jail.
Under Nov 6 1940, I read that the family "are now living in a rented house at 510 1/2 Maple Street in East Tupelo".
Next, in May 1943 they move to the Mississippi coast for work, and returns in June.
Next, on Aug 18 1945 Vernon buys a house on Berry Street in East Tupelo, but have to move in July 1946 and find themselves on various locations.
AND - on Nov 6 1948 they head for Memphis!

What are the chances the very house (if we call it that) he was born in would still be there after he got famous some 15-odd years after the family moved out?

And WHY would Elvis care to go back to where he was born - until he became an adult and perhaps interested in such matters. I doubt very much that he payed much attention to the shotgun shack as a child and teenager, - except that he recalled how poor they were. Sure, this is speculation on my part, but roots thinking is often something that starts when one is WELL into adulthood.
Did he travel (much) to Tupelo as an adult? He gave money to Tupelo for a youth center, - that didn't materialize - or did it finally?

Tue May 04, 2010 6:35 pm

kajsa89 wrote:And WHY would Elvis care to go back to where he was born - until he became an adult and perhaps interested in such matters. I doubt very much that he payed much attention to the shotgun shack as a child and teenager, - except that he recalled how poor they were. Sure, this is speculation on my part, but roots thinking is often something that starts when one is WELL into adulthood.

It depends on the person themselves and how they was brought up in life. Its not a matter if you think that Elvis would matter or not that is not the case. Because what you think of Elvis could be completely different. Southern people who was born then takes a bit of pride on places like these even though we are talking about Elvis. Roots most of the time is not thought of well into adulthood. It is really thought of all the time because you have a huge family or you are very close to all of your family or other reasons. My father was born in 1938 in a smaller house than Elvis and lived on the side of a hill which is a holler just like the way Loretta Lynn was born a few counties over in Butcher Holler. That house no longer stands now because it was taken care of and now trees have taken over that area. He visited there back about 10 to 15 years ago and saw that the spring was there and ropes hanging from a tree that used to be a swing is there. The stones that the house stood on was there as well.

When your born the way Loretta or Elvis or my father you would know exactly how much you think on that.

I heard that Elvis' birthplace isn't the real house. I don't know. But a house can stand up for years if it is taken care of.

Thu May 06, 2010 12:57 am

I visited the house a few years back folks, and what struck me, was that on the way to visit it, I passed a lot of similar houses (shacks?), that looked like they belonged in the era of the depression.. Poverty still seems to exist in that part of Tupelo, and that gave me a good idea of what it must have been like back then.. visually at least. Granted, the house that Elvis was born in is no longer where it was, but if you want a feel for what it was like back then, then take a walk around the area just outside Elvis' 'birthplace'.

K.