Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Elvis THE ED SULLIVAN SHOWS Files Volume 2

Post by davide »

A General view of New York City 1956

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

(*)

Date : Sunday October 28th 1956.
Ed Sullivan Show CBS TV 'Toast Of The Town'>
Black and White 4.3 frame with Mono sound.

Invoice for travel for four first class train tickets from Memphis to New York under the name Clint Reno(Elvis),the others being Gene Smith,Dewey Philips and Nick Adams.

Expense payment to Bill Black for the car journey,Bill made with Scotty Moore and D.J Fontana. A handwritten letter from Bill Black To Tom Diskin prior to the above letter dated October 22nd 1956, request's for the band to travel by train to New York. They went by car,the 1955 Cadillac instead,which broke down in Pennsylvania,and the car repairs were taken out by a Thomas Chevrolet.

Monday October 22, 1956
During the evening Elvis rehearsed at home with the band and the Jordanaires for his second performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.(This took place in the afternoon according to the book 'Last Train To Memphis The Rise Of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick'. After a brief run-through of the four songs they were going to do on TV,they all sat in a little circle on the floor singing spirituals,with Gladys beaming on the couch. Every so often she would join in and softly sing a line,while June (Juanico) never shy about her singing,took the alto part on 'In The Garden',which had been part of her high school graduation ceremony. Later that night she and Elvis drove out to Mud Island,where they had ridden Elvis' motorcycle at what seemed like 100 miles an hour on her first trip to Memphis.

Tuesday October 23, 1956
Elvis got a visit from Nick Adams.

Wednesday October 24, 1956
Elvis had to leave for New York, but before that he, his parents and June Juanico attended a special screening of a rough cut of Love Me Tender. Except for Elvis everyone was enthusiastic. Elvis however was not satisfied by his acting.

Thursday October 25, 1956
While the band travelled north in Gladys' Cadillac and lost a wheel bearing in Pennsylvania, Elvis flew back to New York City with Gene Smith, Nick Adams and some others.
The above often mentioned description is incorrect ,I believe - see top sheet - booking under the name Clint Reno, Elvis (and Nick Adams,Dewey Philips and Gene Smith) travelled by Train. Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin are the one's who flew. Original invoice from Travel,Inc dated October 23rd 1956 for two round trip air tickets from Nashville to New York :tickets for Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin. Total bill is for $215.38. Colonel Parker hotels bills for this period (not shown) reveal that he stayed at the Warwick Hotel from the 23rd October -31st October 1956,no notes to where either Bitsy Mott or Tom Diskin stayed from,but mentioned is Oscar Davis staying at the same time,same hotel ,who was a booking agent and advance man for Parker in the early years.

Friday October 26, 1956
Elvis arrived in New York and rehearsed there with the Jordanaires.
The Colonel concluded a deal with RCA, permitting them to use Elvis's name for promoting a record player called the Victrola phonogram.(My thoughts are that Elvis actually arrived in New York on the morning of the 27th October 1957- see below)
ELVIS DAY BY DAY

Saturday October 27th 1956
Elvis and party had their first nights stay at the Warwick Hotel,New York.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sunday 28th October 1957
Elvis attended a rehearsal for the show , to unveil a big cut-out of him on the top of the Times Square Paramount Theater promoting the premiere of Love Me Tender.

He also gave a press conference, which he handled in a "polite, personable, quick-witted and charming" manner. About his influence on teenagers Elvis stated: " My Bible tells me that what he sows he will also reap, and if I'm sowing evil and wickedness it will catch up with me. If I did think I was bad for people, I would go back to driving a truck, and I really mean this".

Elvis got inoculated with the new polio vaccine as part of a public service announcement for the March of Dimes.

At the Maxine elliot Theater, West Thirty-ninth Street, at 8.00 p.m. Elvis sung Don't Be Cruel, Love Me, Love Me Tender and Hound Dog. This was his second appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Monday October 29th, 1956
There was filmed a new ending for Love Me Tender at the Junco Studio,New York.

Tuesday October 30th 1956
Elvis and his friends returned to Memphis by train after staying in New York City.

Elvis fans gather at Studio 50,Sunday October 28th 1956.

IN CONVERSATION WITH ED SULLIVAN

A letter from Colonel Parker to Ed Sullivan dated September 24th 1956 with regards to the next Ed Sullivan show.

Dear Mr. Sullivan

Your note to Tom Diskin was forwarded to me here at the studio. It's a pleasure seeing you back on the ball doing your regular TV shows.

Regarding the ballad for your next show,I would like to make the following suggestions. At present we plan to use the other side of the new record titled "Any Way You Want Me" and also the new novelty tune "Paralized". You can check these selections through Freddy Beinstock,Hill and Range Music 1650 Broadway,New York City,telephone Judson 6-0693,and tell them that I asked you to check these tunes with them,as they are the publishers,or knows who the publishers are.

I like to suggest that perhaps it would be a good idea for your show to get a clip from Twentieth Century Fox where Elvis does some dramatic acting. Perhaps the scene where he sings "Love Me Tender" to his mother on the porch. This would give you that exta ballad and also show Elvis in part of his picture.I am not a producer and I am only suggesting this trying to help. You are much more experienced in programming clips from motion pictures. This is of course will involve using the actors in the film with Elvis, what the requirements are to do this,I don't know. However, I feel sure that Twentieth Century Fox would be happy to co-operate,as you have a very dear friend here,by the name of Harry Brani and he always seem to be talking about you and its always good. Is he working for you?

Interesting to note that neither "Any Way You Want Me" or (incorrect spelling by the Colonel) "Paralyzed" were included in the show. The film clip of "Love Me Tender" mentioned was not used in the transmission,although Ed Sullivan did go through a quick outline of the plot,and mentioned and also introduced the director of the picture Robert Webb who was in the audience that night. (57mins dvd). A clip from the movie was shown later,on November the 18th 1956,although the clip wasn't the one suggested by Colonel Parker. The main reason for the director being in New York City was for the filming of the new happy ending for the picture 'Love Me Tender' which was done the next day-Monday 29th October 1956..More photo's of this event here : Love Me Tender shoot New York October 1956 http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48615&hilit=+love+me+tender. The reference to 'pleasure seeing you back' is the accident Ed Sullivan suffered on the 6th August 1956,pictures below and one of Ed Sullivan backstage with crutches,Sullivan missing his first TV appearance with Elvis.

Image ImageImage

A letter with regards to the schedule-October 28th 1956 from Marlo Lewis,CBS TV Producer to Harry Kelchein,William Morris Agency.

Dear Harry

This is with regard to the Sunday rehearsal call for Elvis Presley and his crew for the Ed Sullivan Show.
It will be necessary for him to be at Studio 50,53rd St and Broadway(stage entrance 219 West 53rd 51) at 1.00pm on Sun October 28th. We will not need him before that time,but it is important that he be set up and ready to start rehearsal at one o'clock.

Kindest regards.

Sincerely, Marlo Lewis

Marlo Lewis was the Co-producer of the show alongside Ed Sullivan himself

Image*

DON'T BE CRUEL Rehearsal
Image Image*

Image Image

Mercury Lincoln

Presented by Ed Sullivan
The Little Gaelic Singers
Elvis Presley 'Don't Be Cruel'
Elvis Presley 'Love Me Tender'
Senor Wences
Elvis Presley 'Love Me'
Joyce Grenfell
'Happy to Make your Aquaintance' from the broadway Musical The Most Happy Fella
Elvis Presley 'Hound Dog'

Elvis Presley : Guitar & Vocal
Scotty Moore : Guitar
Bill Black : Bass
D.J. Fontana : Drums
The Jordanaires - Neal Matthews,Gordon Stoker,Hoyt Hawkins,Hugh Jarrett : Vocals

Colonel Parker,Tom Diskin,Oscar Davis,Nick Adams,Dewey Philips and Gene Smith made up the Presley group. Bitsy Mott, and Cliff Gleaves are another two names that could present for some or all of this time.

TELEGRAM FROM THE LANSKY BROTHERS WITH SIGNED CHECK FORM ELVIS Western Union telegram dated October 28, 1956. Dallas Texas - Addressed to Elvis Presley and Dewey Phillips at "The Ed Sullivan Show" CBS TV

"Watching your show in Dallas Texas attending biggest mens fashion in country, also picking your next sharp outfit,if possible to make casual remark about Lansky Brothers mens shop on famous Beale street would really appreciate it. Good luck to you.

Bernard and Guy Lansky

'LOVE ME TENDER' Rehearsal
Elvis used slightly different lyrics on the live show compared to previously recorded version
"Love Me Tender,love me long,take me to your heart,for its there that I belong and we'll never part"(original version)
"Love Me Tender,love me long,tell me you are mine,I'll be yours through all the years,till the end of time"(Ed Sullivan version)

"Love me tender,love me dear,tell me, you are mine,I'll be yours through all the years,till the end of time"(original version)

"Love me tender,love me when,we are far apart,I'll be with you,even then,deep within your heart"(Ed Sullivan version)

Image Image

(Left)Hugh Jarrett left of frame in postion for 'Love Me Tender' with Elvis.(Right)A full frame version of the same photo,which is small size due to poor quality,revealing the remaining members of The Jordanaires

Image* Image*
The Chapman Camera crane can be seen in the right hand photo above and the photo below which was used for the 'Love Me Tender' number.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image

Image*

IN CONVERSATION WITH ED SULLIVIAN

(Above)This image featured in the flashback FTD book,but was reversed and is now corrected.

Image Image
Ed Sullivan and Elvis (left)Colonel Parker,Elvis and Colonel Parker(right)
Gordon Stoker recalls : Ed (Sullivan) was a very warm person,extremely warm,Ed only came to the actual filming of the show,he didn't come to the dress rehearsal,and actually when Ed walked over to him,and shook his hands,it was the first time that the Jordanaires and Elvis,D.J. and Scotty had met Mr Sullivan,and yet we didn't know what to expect,and neither did Elvis,but Elvis looked everything and did everything the best that he could do ,when he was on the Sullivan he was determined to do a super job+. (Note the story That Gordon Stoker recalls of Ed Sullivan not present at rehearsal's doesn't seem to be the case looking at the photo's above)

LOVE ME Rehearsal

Gordon Soker : Elvis was very nervous,because there was a lot of pressure on him,and he wanted us,he wanted The Jordanaires just as close to him,as we could be,as you have noticed in several of the scenes,he would constantly step back on our toes,cause we were so close to him.The sound people didn't want us as close,but he wanted us to stay close,and for that reason,that(s) where we were.+

HOUND DOG Rehearsal

HOUND DOG Rehearsal without guitar
Image*

Elvis signs some autographs with British comedienne Joyce Grenfell seen in the background,who starred in the same Ed Sullivan show.. From Joyce Grenfell's autobiography 'In Pleasant Places', Joyce recalls that when she arrived at the CBS Studio at two o'clock that afternoon,there were barricades on West 56th Street to hold back the crowds of girls who had been there since early morning hoping to catch a glimpse of Elvis. Diary entry 28th October 1956: Elvis is a pasty-faced plump boy of twenty one. At rehearsal he wore a navy blue sweater with red stripes round the yoke. His hair isn't long and his sideburns arn't that long either. For the show he wore a Kelly green jacket,grey pants and white buckskin desert boots. When he was introduced to me he said,as he looked away 'Nice to know you honey' . I asked him if all the adulation was very trying. He called me ma'am and said.'I don't want to brag,but I'm kinda used to it now. It's been goin' on a year' I thought he was pleasant,a bit of a roly-ploy boy,but a good singer of his sort of hillbilly songs. We were photographed together. He put his arm round my neck and breathed down my ear-hole.**

THE PRESS CONFERENCE
Image+
Ed Sullivan talks to the press,Elvis,Bitsy Mott,Tom Diskin,and Colonel Parker as Nick Adams looks over his shoulder. This image can be found in Ger Rijff book '60 million viewers can't be wrong' in better quality,but is full frame here.(Note : No film footage or audio recording is known to exist from this Press Conference.)

New York Times reported : Elvis demonstrated to adult reporters that he was polite, personable, quick-witted and charming young man. "Teenagers are my life and triumph,I'd be nowhere without them.He commented that he wished he sit down with those parents who saw him as a bad influence, "because I think I could change their minds and their viewpoint. Ever since I got be to a sort of name I've examined my conscience and asked myself if I led anybody astray even indirectly,and I'm at peace with my conscience.

Image+

A reporter asked Elvis if it wasn't teenagers that had recently ripped his car apart? "That's a car and I've got other cars,but the idea of doing to others what you'd like them to do to you is what's in my craw. It's in the Bible..I read my bible,sir,and this is no story just made up for now.***

My Bible tells me that what he sows he will also reap, and if I'm sowing evil and wickedness it will catch up with me. If I did think I was bad for people, I would go back to driving a truck, and I really mean this".

Another angle as Elvis talks to the press,with Ed Sullivan in the background right and Gene Smith foreground right of frame. This image can be found full frame and of better quality in the book

Newspaper cutting thanks to FECC member The Fool

PUBLICITY

The New York Times October 29, 1956, Monday PRESLEY RECEIVES A CITY POLIO SHOT; Singer Sets an Example for Teen-Agers Here-

A shot in the arm - Elvis Presley receives a salk polio vaccine shot in New York City on Oct. 28. Giving the shot is Dr. Harold Fuerst of New York. Holding Presleys arm is Dr. Leona Baumgartner, commissioner of the New York City health department. Presley is known for his gyrations while presenting a song. (Note, an additional alternative to these polio photo's can be found in the book 'Elvis World' by Jane & Michael Stern,page 42-43)

Image<<

Billboard Nov.3 1956.

Elvis with the 'Why We Want Elvis' winners of the letter writing contest mentioned below,the letter in the frame being seen at the bottom of the photo.

Billboard Nov.3 1956

-Fans View 'Statue' of Him. The Colonel handed out "Elvis for President" buttons at the unveiling of a forty-foot 'statue' of the new Hollywood star above the marquee of the Paramount Theatre in Times Square,where Love Me Tender would premiere in a little more than two weeks.***

Original Caption : October 28, 1956: Droves of fans and curious Sunday afternoon strollers crowd outside the Paramount Theater where a 40-foot figure of rock 'n' roll idol Elvis Presley was unveiled earlier today. The figure, which stands on the theater's marquee, is for Presley's motion picture debut, Love Me Tender, which opens November 15th, 1956.

Elvis is seen outside the Studios around the time of rehearsals October 28th .Photo FECC

Bobbie Horne Mitchell
After graduation, when Elvis was beginning to make a name for himself as a singer, I received a phone call from Miss Ginny Allensworth asking me to come over to Humes and help Elvis with his English because he had been invited to sing on the Ed Sullivan Show. I laughed and said, "Miss Ginny, Elvis wouldn't listen to me when we were in school and I doubt if he would listen to me now."

I did meet Elvis at Humes and he agreed to let me coach him. After talking for a while, he said, "Well, if you are so intent on helping me, why don't you come to New York, too, to be sure I do it right." I ended up backstage at the Ed Sullivan Show and got to see Elvis perform.
Mattie Rainey-Smith
Miss Mildred Scrivener was also a good friend of Aunt Yancie‘s ... Miss Scrivener and all of her sisters came to Yancie’s Beauty Shop. We fixed Miss Scrivener’s hair when she went to New York to accompany Elvis to the Ed Sullivan Show.

Thanks to drjohncarpenter for the above http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

THE DRESS REHEARSAL

These photo's can be identified as not being from the live show due to the fact of Elvis's tie which was done up tight on the live TX for the whole show,and do not match with these shots. The other factor is that Ed Sullivan is seen wearing a jumper underneath his suit in the Press Conference shots and the one below,but for the main show,Mr Sullivan had the shirt and suit only.It was normal procedure to let the photographer take more photo's of the dress rehearsal than the the live transmission-see example below.

Kind regards,Colonel Parker.

P.S. Since your office is handling the Sullivan Show please go on record,not to have any one from ... or the Sullivan Show set up any interviews or photographs unless its cleared through us as we want the rehearsal to be private so Elvis can do a good show. We had too

much of this during rehearsal in Hollywood^here and it might impair his presentation. Watch this very carefully or we will all suffer by nothaving a good show.

I will not be responsible unless this is taken care of properly. They were all over the stage and under his feet during rehearsal and Elvis

became quite nervous. Be sure and have someone sent to me when I am there,to act as a buffer.<

The songs for the Sullivan Show will be "Anyway Way You Want Me","Paralyzed",and "Love Me"
You can check with Hill and Range,Mr Freddy Bienstock for further details.(Judson 6 0693)

^Reference to CBS Toast Of The Town September 9th 1956 performance,CBS Los Angeles.

WESTERN UNION TELEGRAM To Colonel Tom Parker regarding the offer to appear on the Ed Sullivan Shows dates scheduled on September 5th,October 28th 1956 and January 6th 1957.
Amongst the terms agreed,was one that Elvis would have complete control over his wardrobe and song selection. The Sullivan Show paid '$50,000 for Elvis to appear on three dates,after Mr Sullivan's earlier comments of "At any price,he's not my cup of tea".The New York World Telegram interpreted as 'He didn't care to have people accuse him of having lunatics on his show,and he didn't believe Elvis would help him sell cars. Another quote from Sullivan before signing Presley said, 'Though I wouldn't want him on our show,I'd be happy not to have him on against me'.

Joe Bracken - Lincoln's ad agency : There was all kinds of controversy about wether Sullivan should do this,there were a lot of people who thought it was not an appropriate act for a family show. The Lincoln hierarchy kinda went along. Whatever Sullivan was going to do,they figured it was the right thing. We didn't have any trouble from Lincoln. That night we were in the sponsor's booth when Elvis did his gyrations.The camera had to shoot from his waist up,it was suggestive,but not,you know lewd. It was a great show and wildly received. He was motivated by controversy. That was an interesting show,lots to talk about in the office the next day.(Note this probably in reference to all three Sullivan shows)

TV World Magazine by Bessie Little : This is the man who once inspired the youth of Americia...who is safe now because his own beautiful daughter is past the age when she could be influenced by the sexual gyrations of an Elvis Presley,other parents are not so fortunate.

Jack O' Brian TV Critic for The Journal-Americian : Added to his gamut by crossing his eyes,the New York audience laughed and hooted,and was a display of primitive physical movement difficult to describe in terms suitable to a family newspaper,who had a ridiculously tasteless jacket and hairdo.

(I can only find this image with the original background removed.)

'DON'T BE CRUEL'

Ed Sullivan seen with a RCA TK30 Camera,with the prompt attached to the front of the camera,1955. In the high action photo (below,upper right) Ed Sullivan can be seen looking at the same camera.

(Image
Photo from 'Life' shows the Studio from the back. Note this is not from an Elvis performance.

THE LIVE TRANSMISSION

DON'T BE CRUEL

D.J. Fontana : Don't be cruel - it was a great record. The lyrics were good and Elvis sang it great . Scotty had those four bars on the front of the song and that's about all he played,and then did the last chord on the end and that's all he did. Don't Be Cruel was real goo. I like the medium ballad and the medium up-tempo things that weren't too frantic. That was one of Elvis' favorite songs at the time.

'LOVE ME TENDER' (No images at present)

'LOVE ME'
Elvis : 'Thank you very much...thank you very much Mr Sullivan,er friends, we would like to do a number for you from our new album. It was just released by RCA Victor this week,with the help of the Jordanaires,friends,we'd like to do one called, 'Love Me'...'New one on you isn't it'
Neal Matthews,Gordon Stoker,Elvis, Hoyt Hawkins (masked behind Elvis) and Hugh Jarrett. Note Elvis appears to get the lyrics mixed up 'I, I ,He Somebody I would beg and steal'.
Gordon Stoker : I think he took more liberties on the Sullivan show than any act there,and in those days,no one fluffed a word in those days,where as Elvis fluffed a word on several songs and he would make a joke out of it ,Elvis always made the best ,he always took the best attitude and do the best that he could do.

Gordon Stoker : Sullivan had said that he would not have this vulgar-acting,hip-swinging,no talent guy on his show,but then Parker pumped him to watch Elvis on 'The Steve Allen Show',telling him he was going to be the biggest thing to happen in show business,and Ed was impressed and could tell that this guy was on the level,he was sincere,So he called Parker,or rather he called the Colonel - he won't answer if you call him Tom or Parker-and Parker asked for the terribly high price of 50,000 dollars for three shows.At first Ed laughed,but the colonel had the words to sell anything,and that's just what he did.

Interview with D.J. Interview by Ken Sharp
Ken Sharp : What are your memories of playing on the Ed Sullivan Show,and Elvis being filmed from the waist up?
D.J. Fontana : I don't know where they got that from.I don't think Sullivan mentioned that to him at all and if they told him he probably would have told them he didn't want to do it. I think they did it on their own the camera guys. Mr Sullivan was really nice to us and he thought Elvis was the greatest thing that ever walked.We all got nervous before these big TV shows,hell me,Scotty and Bill had never really been out of Tennessee or Louisiana. You go to New York and it's a different animal out there (laughs). After we were done, Elvis was real happy. The ratings went up sky high. ^^^

The ratings were not quite as spectacular as they had been for the first show,but Sullivan still beat the principal competition,Mary Martin and Paul Douglas in a special television production of the play 'Born Yesterday', by a margin of two to one and gained an overall 34.6,or a 57 percent share.^*^

''HOUND DOG'
Elvis : 'Ladies and Gentlemen,ah..could I have your attention,please,er..I'd like to tell you that we're going to do,er ..a sad song for you.This song here is one of the saddest songs we've ever heard. It really tells a story,friends,beautiful lyrics,it goes somethin like this'
Image Image

Image Image

Elvis : Ladies and Gentlemen,I'd like to tell you friends,I'd like to tell you please,ladies and Gentlemen,I'd like to tell you,that on thanksgiving Day I think that our new picture is to be released,and er..and also we'll be back with Mr Ed Sullivan in January,I'd like to thank all the millions of wonderful people that are watching tonight,friends,and er,and er.. I'd like to say this,until we meet you again may god bless you,as he's blessed me,thank you very much'.

CREDITS

Starring Ed Sullivan
Produced by Marlo Lewis and Ed Sullivan
Direction and Choreography : John Wray
Orchestra : Ray Bloch
Settings by Grover Cole
Set Decorator : Thomas Alt
Lighting by Ralph Bettman
Technical Director : Bob Dailey
Costumes : Bill Walstrom
Assistant to the producer Bob Tamplin

Image Image
A cartoon,and news story from November 3rd Billboard 1956.

The Warwick Hotel,New York.
Elvis is signed in the name of Clint Reno (cast name from Love Me Tender) Also mentioned are (Gene) Smith and (Nick) Adams,the departure being on the 31st of October 1956

October 29th 1956.Original caption: 10/29/1956-New York, NY: Elvis Presley stands in the doorway signing autographs for a group of girl fans today. The rock 'n roll sensation was cornered at a midtown movie studio where he is filming an additional scene for his first film "Love Me Tender."

GER RIJFF WITH GORDON MINTO & ANDREW SOLT BY TUTTI FRUTTI PRODUCTIONS

CD from the Ed Sullivan shows October 28, 1956 CBS Studios, Hollywood -Dont be cruel, Love me tender, Love me, Hound dog

ImageImage
Two bootlegs LP's that featured the Elvis Ed Sullivan recordings,the first 'The King Goes Wild' which left out the dialogue,and the second release 'From The Waist Up' on Golden Archives label GA-150

GOLDEN CELEBRATION (6 x LP's)
(US) RCA CPM 6 5172

ELVIS - A GOLDEN CELEBRATION, 50th Anniversary(4 CD set)CD 7863-67456-2 1998

ELVIS The Ed Sullivan Shows 3dvd contains the complete show from 28th October 1956.

I usually post in the picture section only,but thought i would try in the All Elvis section as well later for a change,hope you think it's of value,onto the other shows first and third,and lets hope these TV shows get there own FTD release.
Any contributions/corrections additional photo's/credits/newspaper cutting are most welcome as this is 'works in progress'

With Thanks Davide

More info can be found here : http://www.scottymoore.net/studio50.html
>The show was originally titled Toast of the Town, but was widely referred to as The Ed Sullivan Show for years before September 25, 1955, when that became its official name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

**ETMAHM 54 Page 10 letter to the editor from Shelby Craddock
*Photos by Richard Weede,the reason for Richard Weede being at CBS Studios that day was his father was one of the guests on the show-opera baritone and musical theater star Robert Weede-see hear for more images and info http://www.vintagekingpictures.com/index.html

All other photos from unknown photographer and are from the net/DVD Image Ed Sullivan shows. and FECC Message board,thanks to all.

**ETMAHM No. 54
***Last Train To Memphis The rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick.
< This last sentence could be incorrect.
<<thanks to hilton22000
(*)Thanks to the The fool for the image.
>>ETMAHM 25
+Image dvd Ed Sullivan shows
^^^Record collector with Ken Sharp April 2006. Note this interview may be in reference to all three Ed Sullivan dates.
Vintagekingpictures website is now inactive from where some of these photos came from.Young photographer Richard Weede was allowed on set for the rehearsal because his father, Robert Weede, who was starring in "The Most Happy Fella" on Broadway, also was appearing on the show that night. The negatives Weede snapped were relegated to a garage until his son found them in February 2007.

^*^Last Train To Memphis The Rise Of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick
Last edited by davide on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Joern
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Re: Elvis THE ED SULLIVAN SHOWS Files Volume 2

Post by Joern »

Brilliant, Davide!

The very first picture in your post belongs to my all-time favorite pictures of Elvis!

Joern

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

(*)

Date : Sunday October 28th 1956.
Ed Sullivan Show CBS TV 'Toast Of The Town'>
Black and White 4.3 frame with Mono sound.

Invoice for travel for four first class train tickets from Memphis to New York under the name Clint Reno(Elvis),the others being Gene Smith,Dewey Philips and Nick Adams.

Expense payment to Bill Black for the car journey,Bill made with Scotty Moore and D.J Fontana. A handwritten letter from Bill Black To Tom Diskin prior to the above letter dated October 22nd 1956, request's for the band to travel by train to New York. They went by car,the 1955 Cadillac instead,which broke down in Pennsylvania,and the car repairs were taken out by a Thomas Chevrolet.

Monday October 22, 1956
During the evening Elvis rehearsed at home with the band and the Jordanaires for his second performance on the Ed Sullivan Show.(This took place in the afternoon according to the book 'Last Train To Memphis The Rise Of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick'. After a brief run-through of the four songs they were going to do on TV,they all sat in a little circle on the floor singing spirituals,with Gladys beaming on the couch. Every so often she would join in and softly sing a line,while June (Juanico) never shy about her singing,took the alto part on 'In The Garden',which had been part of her high school graduation ceremony. Later that night she and Elvis drove out to Mud Island,where they had ridden Elvis' motorcycle at what seemed like 100 miles an hour on her first trip to Memphis.

Tuesday October 23, 1956
Elvis got a visit from Nick Adams.

Wednesday October 24, 1956
Elvis had to leave for New York, but before that he, his parents and June Juanico attended a special screening of a rough cut of Love Me Tender. Except for Elvis everyone was enthusiastic. Elvis however was not satisfied by his acting.

Thursday October 25, 1956
While the band travelled north in Gladys' Cadillac and lost a wheel bearing in Pennsylvania, Elvis flew back to New York City with Gene Smith, Nick Adams and some others.
The above often mentioned description is incorrect ,I believe - see top sheet - booking under the name Clint Reno, Elvis (and Nick Adams,Dewey Philips and Gene Smith) travelled by Train. Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin are the one's who flew. Original invoice from Travel,Inc dated October 23rd 1956 for two round trip air tickets from Nashville to New York :tickets for Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin. Total bill is for $215.38. Colonel Parker hotels bills for this period (not shown) reveal that he stayed at the Warwick Hotel from the 23rd October -31st October 1956,no notes to where either Bitsy Mott or Tom Diskin stayed from,but mentioned is Oscar Davis staying at the same time,same hotel ,who was a booking agent and advance man for Parker in the early years.

Friday October 26, 1956
Elvis arrived in New York and rehearsed there with the Jordanaires.
The Colonel concluded a deal with RCA, permitting them to use Elvis's name for promoting a record player called the Victrola phonogram.(My thoughts are that Elvis actually arrived in New York on the morning of the 27th October 1957- see below)
ELVIS DAY BY DAY

Saturday October 27th 1956
Elvis and party had their first nights stay at the Warwick Hotel,New York.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Sunday 28th October 1957
Elvis attended a rehearsal for the show , to unveil a big cut-out of him on the top of the Times Square Paramount Theater promoting the premiere of Love Me Tender.

He also gave a press conference, which he handled in a "polite, personable, quick-witted and charming" manner. About his influence on teenagers Elvis stated: " My Bible tells me that what he sows he will also reap, and if I'm sowing evil and wickedness it will catch up with me. If I did think I was bad for people, I would go back to driving a truck, and I really mean this".

Elvis got inoculated with the new polio vaccine as part of a public service announcement for the March of Dimes.

At the Maxine elliot Theater, West Thirty-ninth Street, at 8.00 p.m. Elvis sung Don't Be Cruel, Love Me, Love Me Tender and Hound Dog. This was his second appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show.

Monday October 29th, 1956
There was filmed a new ending for Love Me Tender at the Junco Studio,New York.

Tuesday October 30th 1956
Elvis and his friends returned to Memphis by train after staying in New York City.

Elvis fans gather at Studio 50,Sunday October 28th 1956.

IN CONVERSATION WITH ED SULLIVAN

A letter from Colonel Parker to Ed Sullivan dated September 24th 1956 with regards to the next Ed Sullivan show.

Dear Mr. Sullivan

Your note to Tom Diskin was forwarded to me here at the studio. It's a pleasure seeing you back on the ball doing your regular TV shows.

Regarding the ballad for your next show,I would like to make the following suggestions. At present we plan to use the other side of the new record titled "Any Way You Want Me" and also the new novelty tune "Paralized". You can check these selections through Freddy Beinstock,Hill and Range Music 1650 Broadway,New York City,telephone Judson 6-0693,and tell them that I asked you to check these tunes with them,as they are the publishers,or knows who the publishers are.

I like to suggest that perhaps it would be a good idea for your show to get a clip from Twentieth Century Fox where Elvis does some dramatic acting. Perhaps the scene where he sings "Love Me Tender" to his mother on the porch. This would give you that exta ballad and also show Elvis in part of his picture.I am not a producer and I am only suggesting this trying to help. You are much more experienced in programming clips from motion pictures. This is of course will involve using the actors in the film with Elvis, what the requirements are to do this,I don't know. However, I feel sure that Twentieth Century Fox would be happy to co-operate,as you have a very dear friend here,by the name of Harry Brani and he always seem to be talking about you and its always good. Is he working for you?

Interesting to note that neither "Any Way You Want Me" or (incorrect spelling by the Colonel) "Paralyzed" were included in the show. The film clip of "Love Me Tender" mentioned was not used in the transmission,although Ed Sullivan did go through a quick outline of the plot,and mentioned and also introduced the director of the picture Robert Webb who was in the audience that night. (57mins dvd). A clip from the movie was shown later,on November the 18th 1956,although the clip wasn't the one suggested by Colonel Parker. The main reason for the director being in New York City was for the filming of the new happy ending for the picture 'Love Me Tender' which was done the next day-Monday 29th October 1956..More photo's of this event here : Love Me Tender shoot New York October 1956 http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48615&hilit=+love+me+tender. The reference to 'pleasure seeing you back' is the accident Ed Sullivan suffered on the 6th August 1956,pictures below and one of Ed Sullivan backstage with crutches,Sullivan missing his first TV appearance with Elvis.

Image ImageImage

A letter with regards to the schedule-October 28th 1956 from Marlo Lewis,CBS TV Producer to Harry Kelchein,William Morris Agency.

Dear Harry

This is with regard to the Sunday rehearsal call for Elvis Presley and his crew for the Ed Sullivan Show.
It will be necessary for him to be at Studio 50,53rd St and Broadway(stage entrance 219 West 53rd 51) at 1.00pm on Sun October 28th. We will not need him before that time,but it is important that he be set up and ready to start rehearsal at one o'clock.

Kindest regards.

Sincerely, Marlo Lewis

Marlo Lewis was the Co-producer of the show alongside Ed Sullivan himself

Image*

DON'T BE CRUEL Rehearsal
Image Image*

Image Image

Mercury Lincoln

Presented by Ed Sullivan
The Little Gaelic Singers
Elvis Presley 'Don't Be Cruel'
Elvis Presley 'Love Me Tender'
Senor Wences
Elvis Presley 'Love Me'
Joyce Grenfell
'Happy to Make your Aquaintance' from the broadway Musical The Most Happy Fella
Elvis Presley 'Hound Dog'

Elvis Presley : Guitar & Vocal
Scotty Moore : Guitar
Bill Black : Bass
D.J. Fontana : Drums
The Jordanaires - Neal Matthews,Gordon Stoker,Hoyt Hawkins,Hugh Jarrett : Vocals

Colonel Parker,Tom Diskin,Oscar Davis,Nick Adams,Dewey Philips and Gene Smith made up the Presley group. Bitsy Mott, and Cliff Gleaves are another two names that could present for some or all of this time.

TELEGRAM FROM THE LANSKY BROTHERS WITH SIGNED CHECK FORM ELVIS Western Union telegram dated October 28, 1956. Dallas Texas - Addressed to Elvis Presley and Dewey Phillips at "The Ed Sullivan Show" CBS TV

"Watching your show in Dallas Texas attending biggest mens fashion in country, also picking your next sharp outfit,if possible to make casual remark about Lansky Brothers mens shop on famous Beale street would really appreciate it. Good luck to you.

Bernard and Guy Lansky

'LOVE ME TENDER' Rehearsal
Elvis used slightly different lyrics on the live show compared to previously recorded version
"Love Me Tender,love me long,take me to your heart,for its there that I belong and we'll never part"(original version)
"Love Me Tender,love me long,tell me you are mine,I'll be yours through all the years,till the end of time"(Ed Sullivan version)

"Love me tender,love me dear,tell me, you are mine,I'll be yours through all the years,till the end of time"(original version)

"Love me tender,love me when,we are far apart,I'll be with you,even then,deep within your heart"(Ed Sullivan version)

Image Image

(Left)Hugh Jarrett left of frame in postion for 'Love Me Tender' with Elvis.(Right)A full frame version of the same photo,which is small size due to poor quality,revealing the remaining members of The Jordanaires

Image* Image*
The Chapman Camera crane can be seen in the right hand photo above and the photo below which was used for the 'Love Me Tender' number.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image

Image*

IN CONVERSATION WITH ED SULLIVIAN

(Above)This image featured in the flashback FTD book,but was reversed and is now corrected.

Image Image
Ed Sullivan and Elvis (left)Colonel Parker,Elvis and Colonel Parker(right)
Gordon Stoker recalls : Ed (Sullivan) was a very warm person,extremely warm,Ed only came to the actual filming of the show,he didn't come to the dress rehearsal,and actually when Ed walked over to him,and shook his hands,it was the first time that the Jordanaires and Elvis,D.J. and Scotty had met Mr Sullivan,and yet we didn't know what to expect,and neither did Elvis,but Elvis looked everything and did everything the best that he could do ,when he was on the Sullivan he was determined to do a super job+. (Note the story That Gordon Stoker recalls of Ed Sullivan not present at rehearsal's doesn't seem to be the case looking at the photo's above)

LOVE ME Rehearsal

Gordon Soker : Elvis was very nervous,because there was a lot of pressure on him,and he wanted us,he wanted The Jordanaires just as close to him,as we could be,as you have noticed in several of the scenes,he would constantly step back on our toes,cause we were so close to him.The sound people didn't want us as close,but he wanted us to stay close,and for that reason,that(s) where we were.+

HOUND DOG Rehearsal

HOUND DOG Rehearsal without guitar
Image*

Elvis signs some autographs with British comedienne Joyce Grenfell seen in the background,who starred in the same Ed Sullivan show.. From Joyce Grenfell's autobiography 'In Pleasant Places', Joyce recalls that when she arrived at the CBS Studio at two o'clock that afternoon,there were barricades on West 56th Street to hold back the crowds of girls who had been there since early morning hoping to catch a glimpse of Elvis. Diary entry 28th October 1956: Elvis is a pasty-faced plump boy of twenty one. At rehearsal he wore a navy blue sweater with red stripes round the yoke. His hair isn't long and his sideburns arn't that long either. For the show he wore a Kelly green jacket,grey pants and white buckskin desert boots. When he was introduced to me he said,as he looked away 'Nice to know you honey' . I asked him if all the adulation was very trying. He called me ma'am and said.'I don't want to brag,but I'm kinda used to it now. It's been goin' on a year' I thought he was pleasant,a bit of a roly-ploy boy,but a good singer of his sort of hillbilly songs. We were photographed together. He put his arm round my neck and breathed down my ear-hole.**

THE PRESS CONFERENCE
Image+
Ed Sullivan talks to the press,Elvis,Bitsy Mott,Tom Diskin,and Colonel Parker as Nick Adams looks over his shoulder. This image can be found in Ger Rijff book '60 million viewers can't be wrong' in better quality,but is full frame here.(Note : No film footage or audio recording is known to exist from this Press Conference.)

New York Times reported : Elvis demonstrated to adult reporters that he was polite, personable, quick-witted and charming young man. "Teenagers are my life and triumph,I'd be nowhere without them.He commented that he wished he sit down with those parents who saw him as a bad influence, "because I think I could change their minds and their viewpoint. Ever since I got be to a sort of name I've examined my conscience and asked myself if I led anybody astray even indirectly,and I'm at peace with my conscience.

Image+

A reporter asked Elvis if it wasn't teenagers that had recently ripped his car apart? "That's a car and I've got other cars,but the idea of doing to others what you'd like them to do to you is what's in my craw. It's in the Bible..I read my bible,sir,and this is no story just made up for now.***

My Bible tells me that what he sows he will also reap, and if I'm sowing evil and wickedness it will catch up with me. If I did think I was bad for people, I would go back to driving a truck, and I really mean this".

Another angle as Elvis talks to the press,with Ed Sullivan in the background right and Gene Smith foreground right of frame. This image can be found full frame and of better quality in the book

Newspaper cutting thanks to FECC member The Fool

PUBLICITY

The New York Times October 29, 1956, Monday PRESLEY RECEIVES A CITY POLIO SHOT; Singer Sets an Example for Teen-Agers Here-

A shot in the arm - Elvis Presley receives a salk polio vaccine shot in New York City on Oct. 28. Giving the shot is Dr. Harold Fuerst of New York. Holding Presleys arm is Dr. Leona Baumgartner, commissioner of the New York City health department. Presley is known for his gyrations while presenting a song. (Note, an additional alternative to these polio photo's can be found in the book 'Elvis World' by Jane & Michael Stern,page 42-43)

Image<<

Billboard Nov.3 1956.

Elvis with the 'Why We Want Elvis' winners of the letter writing contest mentioned below,the letter in the frame being seen at the bottom of the photo.

Billboard Nov.3 1956

-Fans View 'Statue' of Him. The Colonel handed out "Elvis for President" buttons at the unveiling of a forty-foot 'statue' of the new Hollywood star above the marquee of the Paramount Theatre in Times Square,where Love Me Tender would premiere in a little more than two weeks.***

Original Caption : October 28, 1956: Droves of fans and curious Sunday afternoon strollers crowd outside the Paramount Theater where a 40-foot figure of rock 'n' roll idol Elvis Presley was unveiled earlier today. The figure, which stands on the theater's marquee, is for Presley's motion picture debut, Love Me Tender, which opens November 15th, 1956.

Elvis is seen outside the Studios around the time of rehearsals October 28th .Photo FECC

Bobbie Horne Mitchell
After graduation, when Elvis was beginning to make a name for himself as a singer, I received a phone call from Miss Ginny Allensworth asking me to come over to Humes and help Elvis with his English because he had been invited to sing on the Ed Sullivan Show. I laughed and said, "Miss Ginny, Elvis wouldn't listen to me when we were in school and I doubt if he would listen to me now."

I did meet Elvis at Humes and he agreed to let me coach him. After talking for a while, he said, "Well, if you are so intent on helping me, why don't you come to New York, too, to be sure I do it right." I ended up backstage at the Ed Sullivan Show and got to see Elvis perform.
Mattie Rainey-Smith
Miss Mildred Scrivener was also a good friend of Aunt Yancie‘s ... Miss Scrivener and all of her sisters came to Yancie’s Beauty Shop. We fixed Miss Scrivener’s hair when she went to New York to accompany Elvis to the Ed Sullivan Show.

Thanks to drjohncarpenter for the above http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

THE DRESS REHEARSAL

These photo's can be identified as not being from the live show due to the fact of Elvis's tie which was done up tight on the live TX for the whole show,and do not match with these shots. The other factor is that Ed Sullivan is seen wearing a jumper underneath his suit in the Press Conference shots and the one below,but for the main show,Mr Sullivan had the shirt and suit only.It was normal procedure to let the photographer take more photo's of the dress rehearsal than the the live transmission-see example below.

Kind regards,Colonel Parker.

P.S. Since your office is handling the Sullivan Show please go on record,not to have any one from ... or the Sullivan Show set up any interviews or photographs unless its cleared through us as we want the rehearsal to be private so Elvis can do a good show. We had too

much of this during rehearsal in Hollywood^here and it might impair his presentation. Watch this very carefully or we will all suffer by nothaving a good show.

I will not be responsible unless this is taken care of properly. They were all over the stage and under his feet during rehearsal and Elvis

became quite nervous. Be sure and have someone sent to me when I am there,to act as a buffer.<

The songs for the Sullivan Show will be "Anyway Way You Want Me","Paralyzed",and "Love Me"
You can check with Hill and Range,Mr Freddy Bienstock for further details.(Judson 6 0693)

^Reference to CBS Toast Of The Town September 9th 1956 performance,CBS Los Angeles.

WESTERN UNION TELEGRAM To Colonel Tom Parker regarding the offer to appear on the Ed Sullivan Shows dates scheduled on September 5th,October 28th 1956 and January 6th 1957.
Amongst the terms agreed,was one that Elvis would have complete control over his wardrobe and song selection. The Sullivan Show paid '$50,000 for Elvis to appear on three dates,after Mr Sullivan's earlier comments of "At any price,he's not my cup of tea".The New York World Telegram interpreted as 'He didn't care to have people accuse him of having lunatics on his show,and he didn't believe Elvis would help him sell cars. Another quote from Sullivan before signing Presley said, 'Though I wouldn't want him on our show,I'd be happy not to have him on against me'.

Joe Bracken - Lincoln's ad agency : There was all kinds of controversy about wether Sullivan should do this,there were a lot of people who thought it was not an appropriate act for a family show. The Lincoln hierarchy kinda went along. Whatever Sullivan was going to do,they figured it was the right thing. We didn't have any trouble from Lincoln. That night we were in the sponsor's booth when Elvis did his gyrations.The camera had to shoot from his waist up,it was suggestive,but not,you know lewd. It was a great show and wildly received. He was motivated by controversy. That was an interesting show,lots to talk about in the office the next day.(Note this probably in reference to all three Sullivan shows)

TV World Magazine by Bessie Little : This is the man who once inspired the youth of Americia...who is safe now because his own beautiful daughter is past the age when she could be influenced by the sexual gyrations of an Elvis Presley,other parents are not so fortunate.

Jack O' Brian TV Critic for The Journal-Americian : Added to his gamut by crossing his eyes,the New York audience laughed and hooted,and was a display of primitive physical movement difficult to describe in terms suitable to a family newspaper,who had a ridiculously tasteless jacket and hairdo.

(I can only find this image with the original background removed.)

'DON'T BE CRUEL'

Ed Sullivan seen with a RCA TK30 Camera,with the prompt attached to the front of the camera,1955. In the high action photo (below,upper right) Ed Sullivan can be seen looking at the same camera.

(Image
Photo from 'Life' shows the Studio from the back. Note this is not from an Elvis performance.

THE LIVE TRANSMISSION

DON'T BE CRUEL

D.J. Fontana : Don't be cruel - it was a great record. The lyrics were good and Elvis sang it great . Scotty had those four bars on the front of the song and that's about all he played,and then did the last chord on the end and that's all he did. Don't Be Cruel was real goo. I like the medium ballad and the medium up-tempo things that weren't too frantic. That was one of Elvis' favorite songs at the time.

'LOVE ME TENDER' (No images at present)

'LOVE ME'
Elvis : 'Thank you very much...thank you very much Mr Sullivan,er friends, we would like to do a number for you from our new album. It was just released by RCA Victor this week,with the help of the Jordanaires,friends,we'd like to do one called, 'Love Me'...'New one on you isn't it'
Neal Matthews,Gordon Stoker,Elvis, Hoyt Hawkins (masked behind Elvis) and Hugh Jarrett. Note Elvis appears to get the lyrics mixed up 'I, I ,He Somebody I would beg and steal'.
Gordon Stoker : I think he took more liberties on the Sullivan show than any act there,and in those days,no one fluffed a word in those days,where as Elvis fluffed a word on several songs and he would make a joke out of it ,Elvis always made the best ,he always took the best attitude and do the best that he could do.

Gordon Stoker : Sullivan had said that he would not have this vulgar-acting,hip-swinging,no talent guy on his show,but then Parker pumped him to watch Elvis on 'The Steve Allen Show',telling him he was going to be the biggest thing to happen in show business,and Ed was impressed and could tell that this guy was on the level,he was sincere,So he called Parker,or rather he called the Colonel - he won't answer if you call him Tom or Parker-and Parker asked for the terribly high price of 50,000 dollars for three shows.At first Ed laughed,but the colonel had the words to sell anything,and that's just what he did.

Interview with D.J. Interview by Ken Sharp
Ken Sharp : What are your memories of playing on the Ed Sullivan Show,and Elvis being filmed from the waist up?
D.J. Fontana : I don't know where they got that from.I don't think Sullivan mentioned that to him at all and if they told him he probably would have told them he didn't want to do it. I think they did it on their own the camera guys. Mr Sullivan was really nice to us and he thought Elvis was the greatest thing that ever walked.We all got nervous before these big TV shows,hell me,Scotty and Bill had never really been out of Tennessee or Louisiana. You go to New York and it's a different animal out there (laughs). After we were done, Elvis was real happy. The ratings went up sky high. ^^^

The ratings were not quite as spectacular as they had been for the first show,but Sullivan still beat the principal competition,Mary Martin and Paul Douglas in a special television production of the play 'Born Yesterday', by a margin of two to one and gained an overall 34.6,or a 57 percent share.^*^

''HOUND DOG'
Elvis : 'Ladies and Gentlemen,ah..could I have your attention,please,er..I'd like to tell you that we're going to do,er ..a sad song for you.This song here is one of the saddest songs we've ever heard. It really tells a story,friends,beautiful lyrics,it goes somethin like this'
Image Image

Image Image

Elvis : Ladies and Gentlemen,I'd like to tell you friends,I'd like to tell you please,ladies and Gentlemen,I'd like to tell you,that on thanksgiving Day I think that our new picture is to be released,and er..and also we'll be back with Mr Ed Sullivan in January,I'd like to thank all the millions of wonderful people that are watching tonight,friends,and er,and er.. I'd like to say this,until we meet you again may god bless you,as he's blessed me,thank you very much'.

CREDITS

Starring Ed Sullivan
Produced by Marlo Lewis and Ed Sullivan
Direction and Choreography : John Wray
Orchestra : Ray Bloch
Settings by Grover Cole
Set Decorator : Thomas Alt
Lighting by Ralph Bettman
Technical Director : Bob Dailey
Costumes : Bill Walstrom
Assistant to the producer Bob Tamplin

Image Image
A cartoon,and news story from November 3rd Billboard 1956.

The Warwick Hotel,New York.
Elvis is signed in the name of Clint Reno (cast name from Love Me Tender) Also mentioned are (Gene) Smith and (Nick) Adams,the departure being on the 31st of October 1956

October 29th 1956.Original caption: 10/29/1956-New York, NY: Elvis Presley stands in the doorway signing autographs for a group of girl fans today. The rock 'n roll sensation was cornered at a midtown movie studio where he is filming an additional scene for his first film "Love Me Tender."

GER RIJFF WITH GORDON MINTO & ANDREW SOLT BY TUTTI FRUTTI PRODUCTIONS

CD from the Ed Sullivan shows October 28, 1956 CBS Studios, Hollywood -Dont be cruel, Love me tender, Love me, Hound dog

ImageImage
Two bootlegs LP's that featured the Elvis Ed Sullivan recordings,the first 'The King Goes Wild' which left out the dialogue,and the second release 'From The Waist Up' on Golden Archives label GA-150

GOLDEN CELEBRATION (6 x LP's)
(US) RCA CPM 6 5172

ELVIS - A GOLDEN CELEBRATION, 50th Anniversary(4 CD set)CD 7863-67456-2 1998

ELVIS The Ed Sullivan Shows 3dvd contains the complete show from 28th October 1956.

I usually post in the picture section only,but thought i would try in the All Elvis section as well for a change,hope you think it's of value,onto the other shows first and third,and lets hope these TV shows get there own FTD release.
Any contributions/corrections additional photo's/credits/newspaper cutting are most welcome as this is 'works in progress'

With Thanks Davide

More info can be found here : http://www.scottymoore.net/studio50.html
>The show was originally titled Toast of the Town, but was widely referred to as The Ed Sullivan Show for years before September 25, 1955, when that became its official name. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

**ETMAHM 54 Page 10 letter to the editor from Shelby Craddock
*Photos by Richard Weede,the reason for Richard Weede being at CBS Studios that day was his father was one of the guests on the show-opera baritone and musical theater star Robert Weede-see hear for more images and info http://www.vintagekingpictures.com/index.html

All other photos from unknown photographer and are from the net/DVD Image Ed Sullivan shows. and FECC Message board,thanks to all.

**ETMAHM No. 54
***Last Train To Memphis The rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick.
< This last sentence could be incorrect.
<<thanks to hilton22000
>>ETMAHM 25
+Image dvd Ed Sullivan shows
^^^Record collector with Ken Sharp April 2006. Note this interview may be in reference to all three Ed Sullivan dates.
Vintagekingpictures website is now inactive from where some of these photos came from.Young photographer Richard Weede was allowed on set for the rehearsal because his father, Robert Weede, who was starring in "The Most Happy Fella" on Broadway, also was appearing on the show that night. The negatives Weede snapped were relegated to a garage until his son found them in February 2007.
(*)Thanks to the The fool for the image.
^*^Last Train To Memphis The Rise Of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick
Thanks to Rex from for the larger colour photo elvis tkc forum
Last edited by davide on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Is it Christmas already? David, another wonderful topic! Thank you very much for taking the time to create it!!

You might wish to add this information, from a topic I posted in Jan 2008:
Humes High, Class of 1953 -> Elvis Remembered!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

Bobbie Horne Mitchell

Mattie Rainey-Smith

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Mike C

Post by Mike C »

I haven't watched the Sullivan DVDs in a while. Does anyone recall if the Nov. 18, 1956 showing of the fim clip from Love Me Tender is included on the DVD? Thanks.

"You go to school. I'm going out to make a buck!"
Elvis as Danny Fisher

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Thanks drjohncarpenter

You might wish to add this information, from a topic I posted in Jan 2008:
Quote:
Humes High, Class of 1953 -> Elvis Remembered!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34176

Thanks I'll update - I presume the reference is to the 56 and not the 57 appearance?

Mike C wrote:I haven't watched the Sullivan DVDs in a while. Does anyone recall if the Nov. 18, 1956 showing of the fim clip from Love Me Tender is included on the DVD? Thanks.
Yes the showing of the clip is included. Disc 2 Special features.

'Ed Introduces Elvis' first motion picture 'Love Me Tender'

Davide

The fool

Post by The fool »

Excellent, Davide! Thank you for another fascinating post!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

davide wrote:Thanks I'll update - I presume the reference is to the 56 and not the 57 appearance
That is my assumption. Recall he had a big moment to speak to the audience and the country right before his final song, "Hound Dog" -- he had to have been a bit apprehensive.

He was also on break in Memphis for a long period (Oct 15 - 24), flying to New York on Oct 25.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

JamesVRoy
Registered for: 18 years 6 months

Post by JamesVRoy »

Very cool!
Times Square

LonnieBeale

Post by LonnieBeale »

joycegrenfel.jpg
Joyce Grenfel scared the crap out of me when I was a kid when I saw this on television.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

At least I know horses, and the ones with long ears are usually jackasses.

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years

Post by pjdlibra »

wonderful share and fantastic pictures thank you so much. ::rocks

aussierose
Registered for: 15 years 8 months

Post by aussierose »

[quote="drjohncarpenter"]Is it Christmas already? David, another wonderful topic! Thank you very much for taking the time to create it!!

Merry, Merry Christmas Baby
Davide you sure do treat us right

Absolutely beautiful post! "Plump, roly-poly", I keep looking but I just can't see it! To these eyes he looks slim, gorgeous and on top of the world.

Helen

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

Improvement found on the above image

Davide

Dan_T
Registered for: 14 years 9 months

Post by Dan_T »

Fantastic post, Davide !

You know I still say I see a very short clip of Colour film of Elvis rehearsing in the short sleeved Shirt on TV years and years ago !

EDIT... It was as the pic's show...he was standing with his legs apart with his arms by his side and he was "Twitching" ..I know I didn't imagine it...somebody has this film somewhere.
Last edited by Dan_T on Sat May 15, 2010 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mikem
Registered for: 20 years 8 months

Post by Mikem »

Great post...Thanks...

bajo

Post by bajo »

Glory days! Great stuff!

"If you love me let me know, if you don't, ....move it!"

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 10 months

Post by Rocker »

I usually post in the picture section only,but thought i would try in the All Elvis section as well for a change,hope you think it's of value
I wouldn't mind having a own sub-forum just for your posts, as they are always fantastic

Well, hello there....

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

An alternative colour shot taken from a magazine cover.

Davide

Topic author
davide

Post by davide »

tcb1 wrote:have you ever thought on producing a book, ftd could learn a lot with what you have produced.
Thanks, yes I have thought of producing a book,the first is at the design stage at the moment.

All the best
Davide

epf

Post by epf »

Wow....
Speechless...
What a beautiful post, what a lot of thought, attention and love went into this. This deserves mainstream attention, not ´just´ a forum. Glad to read you are working on a book.

Did Elvis not look better when dressed casually? It really is less is more with him.

What a fascinating, timeless frame of time and mind you managed to capture, Davide. Post of the year.

pjdlibra
Registered for: 16 years

Post by pjdlibra »

stupendous thread. opened my eyes to a lot of history lesson learned. thank you so much for your hard research. Rock on

Rob

Post by Rob »

Brilliant, davide!

Hard to believe that this was really 54 years ago (in a few hours).

I'm gonna have to watch this again now.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 4 months

Post by midnightx »

Great thread.

minkahed
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by minkahed »

Some of those shots could have easily made up the majority artwork for most of his singles, Ep's and Lp's for his releases back then.

As elvis woulsd say, "Foolish ...Foolish ..."

I don't care what Ed Van Halen says about me--all's I know is that Howard Stern and Mr. Rogers like me just the way I friendly am! - David Lee Roth

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Great thread! ::rocks