Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Photo's by Popsie on the back of "Elvis Presley"

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:03 am

I want to be upfront here that I am not speculating, nor am I trying to make any kind of conclusions, but there
is one fact about this photo sessions that has bugged me for a while.

There has been no documentation to prove, or any rumors of any kind that recording took place
on this December 1955 photo session, even though it does appear that he is in fact playing and
singing. Yes, I would be cool if some long forgotten piece to tape was to be found, but that is dreaming.

Now to my point.

If you will notice on some of the photo's a vertical bar like item is placed over the guitar hole.

I have read that this was placed there to deaden the sound of Elvis' acoustic guitar because the
sound was bleeding into his vocal mic. And Elvis had a tendacy to play hard and loud.

Of course, long ago, I just figured the photo's were taken at his first recording session
and the story all made sense to me.

Now, what I can't figure out is, why would they need to place that thing on Elvis' guitar to
deaded the sound, if only for a photo session, and no recording was taking place?

Can someone explain that to me?

Could this have been a test session to get a feel of how Elvis works in a studio, to prepare for the real session in January ?

Could something have been recorded, erased, and long forgotten about?

Re: The Photo's by Popsie on the back of "Elvis Presley"

Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 pm

These were definetly taken on 1st December 1955. All this info is very clear on the MRS Vol 2 where they show this to be the case and makes sense too. These pics were purely done for publicity, there was no recording session involved.

Also we know its 1st December 55 because of the RCA meeting in NY after Elvis had signed to RCA. On those photos you see Elvis with the Colonel, Eddy Arnold and Steve Sholes there and if you look at the clothing worn on that day (with the hair style etc) it is identical to those studio publicity shots and therefore taken on the same day of the 1st December 1955.
Well Done MRS! Excellent research! :smt002

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:27 pm

Could it have been a pickup of some kind ?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

memphisking wrote:These were definetly taken on 1st December 1955. All this info is very clear on the MRS Vol 2 where they show this to be the case and makes sense too. These pics were purely done for publicity, there was no recording session involved.

Also we know its 1st December 55 because of the RCA meeting in NY after Elvis had signed to RCA. On those photos you see Elvis with the Colonel, Eddy Arnold and Steve Sholes there and if you look at the clothing worn on that day (with the hair style etc) it is identical to those studio publicity shots and therefore taken on the same day of the 1st December 1955.
Well Done MRS! Excellent research! :smt002

HI, I never disputed the date. I agree with the date. You missed the point here.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:09 pm

bc55 wrote:Could it have been a pickup of some kind ?

Yes, it's a pickup one sees in the guitar.

RCA had great concerns about their new prospect, and there is no way they would have run some tape during a publicity shoot, barely two weeks after signing him to a contract.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:40 am

Perhaps they just used the nearest prop (guitar) to hand for the photo shoot.

Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:01 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Perhaps they just used the nearest prop (guitar) to hand for the photo shoot.

The same guitar is seen in the 1956 color photos taken at RCA New York between January 26 (Thu) and February 4 (Sat) by David B. Hecht. Among other things, these sessions were responsible for the cover shot of Elvis - LPM-1382 and the sleeve of "All Shook Up."

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:40 am

That's a pickup on the guitar.He didn't record anything that day,just posed for pics.I also was told that the guitar wasn't his Martin either.now i have a question....Does anyone know the original color of that shirt? I don't think it was pink like in some pictures.Those were colorized.I have asked Popsie's son as well and he says there's no documentation in the achives of that sort.

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:26 pm

Ted wrote:Does anyone know the original color of that shirt?

I either saw or read somewhere that it was lime green .....

Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

I've never seen a photo from this session.................................... [he-he]

Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:14 am

bc55 wrote:

Lime green? Wow! First time i've heard that one.he did wear some wild colors didn't he? Let me know if you remember where you heard or saw that,Thanks!

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:13 am

Ted wrote:
bc55 wrote:

Lime green? Wow! First time i've heard that one.he did wear some wild colors didn't he? Let me know if you remember where you heard or saw that,Thanks!

Hi,

it may have been in a book, where someone related it. Or it may have been in a documentary, where someone who was there remembered it. Or was it in an interview in EMM ..... jeez, my memory isn't what it used to be ;-)

But I'm quite certain it was lime green with black dots.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Thanks a lot!!! If you remember let me know!,lol.

Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:18 pm

Ted wrote:Thanks a lot!!! If you remember let me know!,lol.

It appears to be lime green in this color photo from the same Dec 1955 NY session.

Today, Tomorrow & Forever (BMG 2002)

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:34 am

And what a cover shot that was...!

I like the backcovers of those '50s LPs, particularly the surprisingly decent liner notes, especially on the 2nd LP and "Golden Records."

It's a pity this later fell by the way side. It would have been nice for his other studio albums in the '60s and '70s.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ted wrote:Thanks a lot!!! If you remember let me know!,lol.

It appears to be lime green in this color photo from the same Dec 1955 NY session.

Wow, kudos to you, Doc ! That's where I saw it ! Wow, all this stuff that I have in my brain, I can't even remember the important things ;-)

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:30 pm

bc55 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It appears to be lime green in this color photo from the same Dec 1955 NY session.

Wow, kudos to you, Doc ! That's where I saw it ! Wow, all this stuff that I have in my brain, I can't even remember the important things ;-)

Thanks.

The DOC is here for the man, his music and his lime-green shirts!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
bc55 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:It appears to be lime green in this color photo from the same Dec 1955 NY session.

Thanks.

But, surely that's just a "colorised" black & white photo. :?:

Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Right, as has been stated, it was a pickup. Specifically a DeArmond soundhole pickup installed in a Martin D-18, not his. You don't see the blacks ones too often but the white ones are fairly common though a tad costly now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:16 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:But, surely that's just a "colorised" black & white photo. :?:

Could be! Although it looks authentic to these eyes.

Since you bring up the point, please check it out for us and post your results here.

Thanks!!

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The Purple Gang wrote:But, surely that's just a "colorised" black & white photo. :?:

Could be! Although it looks authentic to these eyes.
Since you bring up the point, please check it out for us and post your results here.

I think there's a clue in the fact that all the photos that have surfaced from that day are b & w - bar this one !

If it was coloured after the event, it's a good job !

Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:37 pm

ColinB wrote:I think there's a clue in the fact that all the photos that have surfaced from that day are b & w - bar this one !

This was RCA's first "official" photo session with their top recording prospect. One might assume they'd spend enough money for William "PoPsie" Randolph to snap a few color images.

Another clue is that the next official photo session at RCA NY about seven weeks later was color and b&w.

Let's hope our inquisitive friend can dig deep into this crucial point he brought up !

Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:19 am

Looking forward to the results! Even though i talked to Popsie's son and he says he doesn't have any clues that say that there was photos shot with color film.Everything in his archives is B&W from what he told me.Let's hope there may be some color ones.But as of now i will go on that shirt being lime green.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:33 am

Ted wrote:Looking forward to the results!

Me too!! Where did he go? He seemed so into this topic.

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:01 am

The Purple Gang wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
bc55 wrote:

Thanks.

But, surely that's just a "colorised" black & white photo. :?:

By the way, a near identical photo first made its appearance in the booklet

for the LP "A legendary Performer, volume two".