Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 am

I always found the Madison Square Garden evening concert very rushed. It was like Elvis couldn't wait to get out of the place. The afternoon show seemed much more relaxed. Having said that, what consititues the 'best' concert? Is it a concert that is musically diverse and Elvis delivers on every song? If that's the case then you could say concerts from 1972 might fit the bill. If you want to find Elvis in entertaining mood, then something from 1975. Having said all of that, my fave (at the moment) is Boston, November, 1971.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Nevstar wrote:Having said all of that, my fave (at the moment) is Boston, November, 1971.

You may enjoy reading the complete, unedited Dec 1971 Rolling Stone review, by Jon Landau:

In Praise Of Elvis Presley (1971) -- Complete!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50886

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Nevstar wrote:Having said all of that, my fave (at the moment) is Boston, November, 1971.

You may enjoy reading the complete, unedited Dec 1971 Rolling Stone review, by Jon Landau:

In Praise Of Elvis Presley (1971) -- Complete!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50886



Thanks Doc. I remember reading that article many years ago, and it was great to get re-acquainted with it. That could have been one of the last great concerts he ever did. As mentioned in another post, I felt he was at his peak in early 1970. But right up until the end of 1971 he moved really well on stage and seemed to enjoy himself, as evidenced by a lot of the clips I've seen on youtube and various DVDs. He was slim, trim, taut and terrific. Compare him, however to early '72. In only a few short months he stacked on some weight and really slowed down. Clearly, his split from Priscilla affected his on stage persona and performance abilities.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:55 pm

According to the soundboards I have heard there are just so many great concerts which easily could make it to be his best. Several weeks ago I had a simular topic on this forum and I made a top-5 but after posting just another 10 or 20 concerts crossed my mind which I could easy mention so will not take another shot, although I still think Elvis best year of live performances was 1975.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:50 pm

I've stated many times that I attended both the 4/9/72 & 12/31/76 shows. But I'd given anything to be at the 8/12/70 MS!

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:05 am

Nevstar wrote:Thanks Doc. I remember reading that article many years ago, and it was great to get re-acquainted with it. That could have been one of the last great concerts he ever did. As mentioned in another post, I felt he was at his peak in early 1970. But right up until the end of 1971 he moved really well on stage and seemed to enjoy himself, as evidenced by a lot of the clips I've seen on youtube and various DVDs. He was slim, trim, taut and terrific. Compare him, however to early '72. In only a few short months he stacked on some weight and really slowed down. Clearly, his split from Priscilla affected his on stage persona and performance abilities.

You're welcome.

The entire Nov 1971 tour may be considered pretty stellar. Someday I hope to hear a good-quality recording of the Nov 8 show in Philadelphia, with Jerome Monroe on drums.

Image

Elvis, Jerome "Stump" Monroe, Joe Guercio
Monday, November 8, 1971
The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA



Elvis looks a little "off" on the Apr 1972 tour, but the energy level is still pretty good. But if you take a peek at the show in November -- just 7 months later -- there's a major slowdown in all respects.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:18 am

75 extra policemen were added to keep the crowd away from the stage in Philadelphia. Highlight of the show, Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 am

cool new avatar doc!

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:25 am

MG is pretty awesome, too.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.

This evening gets my vote too. Incredible in every respect.


I don't know if it's the best concert ever, but it certainly has the best ever version of "I Got a Woman." The way he hiccups the "know" in "Don't you know" is both funny and beautiful.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:03 am

Revelator wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.

This evening gets my vote too. Incredible in every respect.


I don't know if it's the best concert ever, but it certainly has the best ever version of "I Got a Woman." The way he hiccups the "know" in "Don't you know" is both funny and beautiful.

I don't know how you can say that - there was no "Amen" with a dive-bomb routine.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:06 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.


We have a winner... Thank you and good nite... best Elvis concert I'ver ever heard anyway! Just wish they would let these tapes have the ol Budd treatment and rerelease the show on FTD or main label. :smt006

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:10 am

JEFF d wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.


We have a winner... Thank you and good nite... best Elvis concert I'ver ever heard anyway! Just wish they would let these tapes have the ol Budd treatment and rerelease the show on FTD or main label. :smt006

JEFF d
EP fan

Not sure how much Budd can really do with the tapes, but the show should definitely be in print. Forum member Matthew raised an interesting idea recently that a reissue of the '61 Hawaii gig would fit in nicely on a Legacy Edition of Elvis Is Back!

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Nevstar wrote:Thanks Doc. I remember reading that article many years ago, and it was great to get re-acquainted with it. That could have been one of the last great concerts he ever did. As mentioned in another post, I felt he was at his peak in early 1970. But right up until the end of 1971 he moved really well on stage and seemed to enjoy himself, as evidenced by a lot of the clips I've seen on youtube and various DVDs. He was slim, trim, taut and terrific. Compare him, however to early '72. In only a few short months he stacked on some weight and really slowed down. Clearly, his split from Priscilla affected his on stage persona and performance abilities.

You're welcome.

The entire Nov 1971 tour may be considered pretty stellar. Someday I hope to hear a good-quality recording of the Nov 8 show in Philadelphia, with Jerome Munroe on drums.

Image

Elvis, Jerome "Stump" Munroe, Joe Guercio
Monday, November 8, 1971
The Spectrum, Philadelphia, PA[/b]


Elvis looks a little "off" on the Apr 1972 tour, but the energy level is still pretty good. But if you take a peek at the show in November -- just 7 months later -- there's a major slowdown in all respects.



It's Monroe

-------------------------------------
My vote for the best concert Elvis ever gave as a well rounded entertainer at work, with the most polished show he ever gave, is the Memphis 74 concert.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:27 am

midnightx wrote:
JEFF d wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:1961, Honolulu, Bloch Arena.


We have a winner... Thank you and good nite... best Elvis concert I'ver ever heard anyway! Just wish they would let these tapes have the ol Budd treatment and rerelease the show on FTD or main label. :smt006

JEFF d
EP fan

Not sure how much Budd can really do with the tapes, but the show should definitely be in print. Forum member Matthew raised an interesting idea recently that a reissue of the '61 Hawaii gig would fit in nicely on a Legacy Edition of Elvis Is Back!


...and New Haven '76 is killer too!!! Maybe they can add is as a bonus on the From Elvis Presley BLVD legacy edition!!!!

.... thread offically DERAILED NOW!!!! hahahahahaha

JEFF d
EP fan

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:35 am

Revelator wrote:I don't know if it's the best concert ever, but it certainly has the best ever version of "I Got a Woman." The way he hiccups the "know" in "Don't you know" is both funny and beautiful.

The set list, the time period, the band -- they're all absolutely superb.

Elvis would never be at a greater peak as a commercially successful artist, and the crowd is as wild as any from the 1950s.

Humans first had a chance to hear this near Christmas 1978:

Image

Elvis' 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert (Golden Archives GA 300, 1978)



Image

The album was a deluxe affair, with fold out cover, 16 page booklet, custom labels and inner sleeve.


phpBB [video]




The guys behind the Golden Archives label should be given a velvet pillow ride right up to the Pearly Gates when their time is done.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:38 am

Think we can expect an exact copy from MRS next year?

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:34 am

That cover to the 61 hawaii show should be in a museum.
It is a piece of art.

I don't think MRS or FTD can top it.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 am

Forgive me for my ignorance, but with regard to the '61 Hawaii Show recording, was it an official one, and, if so, why was it so cruddy?
And if it was not an official recording, then RCA and the Colonel dropped the ball: surely a live album could have been sold "for charity" as well. It might not have netted much money for the suits, but it would have kept Elvis's name upfront and promote any future records released shortly afterward.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:12 am

The 1961 february 25 and march 25 concerts is high up on my list. Incredible setlists.

Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
A Fool Such As I
I Got A Woman
Love Me
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
Surrender - Unique for Feb 25 AS
I Need Your Love Tonight
Thats All Right - Unique for Feb 25 AS and Mar 25
Doin The Best I Can - Unique for Feb 25 AS
Dont Be Cruel
One Night
Are You Lonesome Tonight
Its Now Or Never
Hound Dog - Unique for Feb 25 AS and ES
Fever - Unique for Feb 25 ES
Swing Down Sweet Chariot - Unique for Feb 25 ES And Mar 25

57 09 01 ES Seattle or 57 08 30 Spokane or some other 57 show of Elvis at the top of his game

56 09 26 AS And ES Tupelo - The great Coming Home shows

Heartbreak Hotel
Long Tall Sally
Introduction and Presentation
I Was The One
I Want You I Need You I Love You
I Got A Woman
Dont Be Cruel
Ready Teddy
Love Me Tender
Hound Dog

Love Me Tender
I Was The One
I Got A Woman
Announcement
Dont Be Cruel
Blue Suede Shoes
Announcement
Baby Lets Play House
Hound Dog

54 07 17 Memphis - Elvis first show and in his hometown

55 08 01 Tupelo - Elvis first appearance in his birth town

57 09 27 Tupelo - Elvis last appearance in his birth town

55 02 06 Memphis - Elvis first show of the year in his hometown

56 03 09 Memphis - Elvis first show of the year in his hometown

69 07 31 OS - Elvis first live show in 8 years and to a crowd of his peers. Wether Elvis showed any nerves or the show had flaws it had to be electric.

70 02 27 AS Houston - Elvis First Non-Vegas Post-Comeback show.

70 09 09 Phoenix - Elvis First Tour show

71 07 20 OS Lake Tahoe - Elvis first Tahoe show in the more relaxed "vacation" tahoe atmosphere

74 03 16 AS Memphis - First memphis show

73 01 14 Honolulu - Milestone event

72 06 09 NY. First of the hyped and nervous NY shows. Minor milestone

77 06 26 Indianapolis. Not great off course. But its the last after all

72 04 09 Hampton Roads. First show filmed for Elvis on tour. minor milestone

70 08 10 OS Vegas. First show filmed for TTWII. Minor milestone

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 am

Revelator wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance, but with regard to the '61 Hawaii Show recording, was it an official one, and, if so, why was it so cruddy?
And if it was not an official recording, then RCA and the Colonel dropped the ball: surely a live album could have been sold "for charity" as well. It might not have netted much money for the suits, but it would have kept Elvis's name upfront and promote any future records released shortly afterward.


It's only one of several balls dropped by the colonel.
They could have and should done so much more.
It's very clear now that Elvis is gone, and he can't put on shows like he did in 1961.

The recording is not an official one, and wasn't released til after he died.
First it was bootlegged, then several years after RCA put it out.

They finally did learn though but it took 12 years to do it.
If you recall, "Aloha from Hawaii" was in fact a charity event for the Kui Lee Cancer fund.

Of course the album and TV special were not part of that money I don't recall, all charity money came
from donations taken at the door for admissions. And it didn't exceed their goals money wise.

But even in 1961 someone could have filmed it in 16mm for posterity.
The colonel was a very short sited manager.
It is the best live show we have on audio.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:57 am

Revelator wrote:Forgive me for my ignorance, but with regard to the '61 Hawaii Show recording, was it an official one, and, if so, why was it so cruddy?
And if it was not an official recording, then RCA and the Colonel dropped the ball: surely a live album could have been sold "for charity" as well. It might not have netted much money for the suits, but it would have kept Elvis's name upfront and promote any future records released shortly afterward.


Very interesting thought: a 1961 live album when Elvis reached another high point in his career. If the Colonel has considered this, he may have concluded that the live atmosphere was too much of the 'old school '56 Elvis' and did not the 'new family entertainer/ moviestar Elvis'. I guess Elvis career is a slalom between missed opprtunities...

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 am

It's very hard to pick 1 but i'm going to pick 4.

You can't go past the 4 madison square garden shows pure magic.

I could write pages and pages about how great these shows are but i don't think i could find the words.

In a nut shell the Garden shows will always be the best nothing would ever come close again.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:28 pm

To my ears the greatest concert I've ever heard is that Hawaii '61 show. When talking about the later Concert years, I'd go for perhaps the 26th August 1969 MS as the best 'relaxed' show and the 12th August 1970 MS as the best 'professional' show. In that I mean that 1970 show is possibly one of his greatest set-lists in how it runs smoothly and showcases everything about the man and his performances are outstanding. That '69 show is perhaps my most enjoyable show as Elvis is on absolute fire, performing some great rare songs and riding high on his succesful return to Live shows - his fun mood is so contagious.

Re: Elvis greatest concert ever?

Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:32 pm

hollandgroupc2008 wrote:To my ears the greatest concert I've ever heard is that Hawaii '61 show. When talking about the later Concert years, I'd go for perhaps the 26th August 1969 MS as the best 'relaxed' show and the 12th August 1970 MS as the best 'professional' show. In that I mean that 1970 show is possibly one of his greatest set-lists in how it runs smoothly and showcases everything about the man and his performances are outstanding. That '69 show is perhaps my most enjoyable show as Elvis is on absolute fire, performing some great rare songs and riding high on his succesful return to Live shows - his fun mood is so contagious.

Hard to argue with the three shows you mentioned - fantastic stuff.