Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 am

Barry wrote:The Canadian 1958--LPM-1951
DSCN0019.JPG



I bet it's worth a whole bunch.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 am

I uploaded some larger versions of my screen shots to the original post. Enjoy.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 am

The original shipping date for LPM-1951 was September 25, 1959 for October 1959 release.

I received this update from Keith Flynn. I have updated the dates on my website with the information he had provided me. References to all his material and interesting pieces of information are provided within each of the posts below.

My links
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elv ... mas-album/
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elv ... etermined/

I have also corrected the date for EPA-4340 which holds the same image as LPM-1951. Mistakenly it was 9/1958. Corrected with the relevant documentation and sources.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/epa-4340-chr ... ith-elvis/
Last edited by elvisrecords.us on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am

Any chance that this may originally have been planned as a 10" LP? 8 songs, 4 per side...no Peace in the Valley tracks?

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:50 am

Doc this is one Kick-Ass Topic!!
Although I had nothing to contribute, I thoroughly enjoyed reading every post , These type quality topics is what makes FECC so much fun and at the same time very imformative reading.

Hope to have even more of these from the masterminds DJC and Company!
::rocks

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 pm

promiseland wrote:Doc this is one Kick-Ass Topic!!
Although I had nothing to contribute, I thoroughly enjoyed reading every post , These type quality topics is what makes FECC so much fun and at the same time very imformative reading.

Hope to have even more of these from the masterminds DJC and Company!
::rocks


This has been a fascinating, informative read! Thanks, promiseland, for reviving it for those of us who weren't here to catch it the first time. The intricacies of the Christmas product, especially, but not limited to the first album, are quite complex. Thanks, Doc, for making it clearer!

rjm
P.S. -- Around a year ago, I was still messing with VERY old threads, and missed the then-still-current ones such as this. Well, it had additions, and I missed it then. I was still in awe of it all! :D

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 am

I just found an interesting, double-page, late October 1957 RCA ad in Billboard. which includes a plug for both the Christmas EP and LP:


Billboard Oct 28 1957 Audition 2-3.JPG
Billboard - October 28, 1957
Full scan of two-page advertisement


Interestingly, a mockup involving the David B. Hecht cover shot for the second LP in 1956 is used:


Billboard Oct 28 1957 Audition 3_DETAIL.JPG
Billboard - October 28, 1957
Detail of Presley album


One might think RCA's ad department might have the cover art ready, but it seems this was not the case. The ad does serve to show the album was due out in November, not October.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 am

A very interesting find! Thanks for sharing!

Actually it was quite loosely Dinah Shore advertisement. Maybe that mock-up cover of Elvis' was at some time planned to be used for...

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 am

What a great Topic. From what little i know, as the years passed, so did the music industry's merchandising skill and ability to extend the buying season. Sales of seasonal music LP's increased year on year in the early 1960's mainly because more people were actively buying albums in general but Christmas music in particular was being sold earlier and earlier. Also, Elvis' Christmas Album contained hymms that could have extended its availability beyond the traditional festive period.
In any case the deluxe original 1957 album and its various reprints was among the best-selling Christmas albums every year until the Camden album stole its thunder in 1970. With this in mind, it's interesting that the album is only 3x platinum. Can anyone confirm which of the two albums (1957 or 1970) achieved a soundscan total of 1,020,000 between 1991 and 2005?

::rocks

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:09 am

Found a cool ad for the 1957 Christmas EP today, enjoy!


Billboard Dec 09 1957 p31.JPG
Billboard - December 9, 1957
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:38 pm

I really like the eps. The way they are programmed works really well. The covers are both good and were both used for LPs as well.

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:46 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:I really like the eps. The way they are programmed works really well. The covers are both good and were both used for LPs as well.


And they sold incredibly well!

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:55 am

elvisfan_48079 wrote:Actually Doc, one chevron (stripe) indicates the rank of private E-2. If Elvis were a private 1st class (PFC) E-3 he would have one chevron with a rocker beneath it. Here are the ranks Elvis held during his military career;

E-1: private (often referred to as buck private)
E-2: private
E-3: private first class (PFC)
E-4: specialist 4th class (often referred to as spec4)
E-5: sargeant (often referred to as buck sargeant)

I'll leave it up to the more informed to provide the dates when he achieved each rank.

In 1958 one chevron was PVT 1st Class. In 1968 PVT 1st Class was the chevron with a rocker. Ranks/grades were not static, but changed through the years, especially in the Army. However PVT 1st Class would be E-3 in either case. It is just until 1968 both E1 and E2 were without a stripe. Starting in 1968 E2 had the single chevron and E3 added the rocker.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catal ... oryId=9168

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I just found an interesting, double-page, late October 1957 RCA ad in Billboard. which includes a plug for both the Christmas EP and LP:


http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/download/file.php?id=56267&mode=view


Interestingly, a mockup involving the David B. Hecht cover shot for the second LP in 1956 is used:


Image


One might think RCA's ad department might have the cover art ready, but it seems this was not the case. The ad does serve to show the album was due out in November, not October.

Merry Christmas, everybody!


Interesting to see also the George Melachrino LPM 1045 cover was used for the Japanese LS 5038 Elvis Christmas album
Image

Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

houndog wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:I just found an interesting, double-page, late October 1957 RCA ad in Billboard. which includes a plug for both the Christmas EP and LP:


http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/download/file.php?id=56267&mode=view


Interestingly, a mockup involving the David B. Hecht cover shot for the second LP in 1956 is used:


Image


One might think RCA's ad department might have the cover art ready, but it seems this was not the case. The ad does serve to show the album was due out in November, not October.

Merry Christmas, everybody!


Interesting to see also the George Melachrino LPM 1045 cover was used for the Japanese LS 5038 Elvis Christmas album
Image


Excellent detective work Sir! smt168. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

Image
George Melachrino - Christmas In High Fidelity. RCA LPM-1045 LP. 1954.

Source: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GEORGE-MELACHRIN ... 1896085443