Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:05 am

Recently it was mentioned that Springtime Tours needed a pitch adjustment. How many soundboards and audience recordings there need adjustments? And at which levels?

Thanks to all!!
Last edited by frus75 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:28 pm

Two concerts that I enjoy but always felt that they 'dragged' a bit, are found on the Spanish Eyes CD and the Profile Volume 2 set. Both concerts are from the same May 1974, Tahoe stand, so maybe that's why they sound identical to me, soundwise. I adjusted the pitch by 1 semitone, played with the 'fine tune' function so that Elvis didn't sound too Mickey Mouse-like, and it was like night and day. The concerts now seem more 'alive' and Elvis seems much more spirited.

My two cents!!

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:34 pm

You mean 1 semitone up?

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:45 pm

frus75 wrote:Recently it was mentioned that Springtime Tours needed and pitch adjustment.

There are many!
Here are a few (from memory):

Checkmate In Vegas *
A New Kind Of Rhythm *
Springtime Tours *
Adios Huntsville **
Live In L.A. (FTD) **
October Encore In Lake Tahoe *
Big Boss In Trouble **
Rockin' The Northwest *
Live At The Lakeside **
Whole Lotta Shakin' In Vegas - Elvis In The Hilton Vol.3 *
Cancelled: The Request Box *


* Too fast.
** Too slow.


But believe me,there are many more. Some of them have been corrected already (Getting Down To Business,High Spirit In Vegas and the march '75 show on the Profile box).

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 pm

From Vegas To Macon CD1 (Las Vegas 1970). Runs too fast.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:24 am

How can you tell about the pitch? I mean Checkmate in Vegas on See See Rider sounds normal to me, where as Live In LA does sound a tad slow, as does a lot of May-June 1974 soundbards.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:52 am

The wonderful bootleg LP of the 1961 Hawaii Benefit Concert ran a bit too fast. When it was released, I had a variable speed turntable which took care of the problem. Hopefully the FTD release of this gem will correct the speed and improve the fidelity in whatever way that they can.
Image

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:05 am

frus75 wrote:You mean 1 semitone up?


Yep, that would be correct.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:07 am

Gabriel wrote:
frus75 wrote:Recently it was mentioned that Springtime Tours needed and pitch adjustment.

There are many!
Here are a few (from memory):

Checkmate In Vegas *
A New Kind Of Rhythm *
Springtime Tours *
Adios Huntsville **
Live In L.A. (FTD) **
October Encore In Lake Tahoe *
Big Boss In Trouble **
Rockin' The Northwest *
Live At The Lakeside **
Whole Lotta Shakin' In Vegas - Elvis In The Hilton Vol.3 *
Cancelled: The Request Box *


* Too fast.
** Too slow.


But believe me,there are many more. Some of them have been corrected already (Getting Down To Business,High Spirit In Vegas and the march '75 show on the Profile box).


* On Uppers
** On Downers
Just kidding. :)

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:28 am

let´s not forget our very own pageglen, who takes his time to correct the speed of more than a few soundboards and shares the corrected versions for free with everybody, who has interest in it. - if you should read this, thank you so much, glen!
::rocks

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:29 am

Christopher wrote:let´s not forget our very own pageglen, who takes his time to correct the speed of more than a few soundboards and shares the corrected versions for free with everybody, who has interest in it. - if you should read this, thank you so much, Glen!
::rocks

I wonder what happened to him, haven't seen him in a while...

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:11 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
Christopher wrote:let´s not forget our very own pageglen, who takes his time to correct the speed of more than a few soundboards and shares the corrected versions for free with everybody, who has interest in it. - if you should read this, thank you so much, Glen!
::rocks

I wonder what happened to him, haven't seen him in a while...
wow - how time flies (it´s been almost two years again).
pageglen seemed to pop up on this board now and then, whenever he had a new adjusted and/or modified/improved soundfile ready.
by now, dennyelvis and retroaudio have taken over.
whoever does the job, i find it very pleasant when people share their works for free.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:28 pm

hm80ep wrote:From Vegas To Macon CD1 (Las Vegas 1970). Runs too fast.


You can find it adjusted on this one.

www.elvisoncd.com/EIGENECD_a-z/import/A ... loaded.htm

Looks quite nice and the sound is perfectly adjusted and sounds very good for an audience recording.

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:59 pm

WTF does EVERYTHING from August 1973 run so freakin' fast???

Re: Concerts needing pitch and/or speed adjustments

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:05 pm

To Cristopher and Jommy Cool-I am still here guys! Thanks for asking! I just re-did the Los Angeles 11-14-70 show, I need to share it with you all. Now the total time is 1:10 less than before, the songs were-well the songs that ran about 2 min were about 2 secs too slow. I also worked on the Spring time Tours cds and some others. Anyway, the Los Angles 70' show was a bit slow in the pitch or speed. I used Nero WAV editor to fix it. This was taken from an LP I believe, as there are a couple tics that sound like record "tick" noises. I also re-eq'd it added a bit more mid and highs to make it a bit clearer, and reduced the bass a bit. It still is a bit bassy, but it is a bit better. I think how this speed thing happens with being slow it when someone is taping a show, the speed on THEIR recorder is a touch fast, and THEN when they play it on another deck with the normal speed it is slow sounding. The same principle for tapes that sound fast. In THAT case their recorders' speed is too slow to begin with, and then when it is played on a normal speed tape deck, then it sounds fast.

Glen Page