Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Quizz: Elvis/ABBA

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:48 pm

Lennart wrote:Dreambear wrote: "I do I do I do" (hate that one), "

So do I!
Fernando is another song I dislike.
ABBA was HUGE in the mid 70:s when I grew up, they were everywhere on the radio and TV.

I do like a couple of songs, Knowing you, knowing me is a good song but I`ve never been a fan of ABBA.

Svenne Hedlund, the singer of Hep Stars is a huge Elvis fan and he recorded an album of Elvis songs already in the 60:s, and now he´s made another one. James Burton is one of the musicans on the new album.

Lennart

By the way: Svenne Hedlund lives in Sävsjö, Sweden, ca 60 kilometres from Gislaved, where I live 8)

Kind regards
Björn

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:20 am

Lennart wrote:... I`ve never been a fan of ABBA...

I always liked the group as a whole............... and I was in love with a quarter of it...............

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:37 am

dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, whenever you want to catch a whiff of ABBA's influence on Elvis, just spin the 1976 "Moody Blue" single.

Elvis and ABBA had more in common than "Moody blue" and "On top of old smoky". They both recorded several songs about broken marriages and lost love. If Elvis had lived a few more years, he could almost have recorded a whole album with lyrics that he should have liked:

A healthy Elvis who had recorded "Elvis sings ABBA" in 1981, could have been a bit interresting:

1) Knowing me, knowing you
2) The winner takes it all
3) My love, my life
4) The name of the game
5) When all is said and done
6) One of us

Abba was very familiar with the "old school" rock ´n´ roll, so he could have filled the album with some of their other songs "On and on and on", "I do I do I do" (hate that one), "Why did it have to be me" and other´s.

"Slipping through my finger´s" is about seeing you child growing up very fast...so perhaps that one could have been suitable too.

Kind regards

Björn

On the other side of things, one of their raunchiest is "Does Your Mother Know", but it's honestly difficult for me to imagine Elvis -- or anyone -- taking on their catalogue. ABBA is that super-rare combination of four people coming together and making track after track of top-shelf work.

Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:45 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
dreambear wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, whenever you want to catch a whiff of ABBA's influence on Elvis, just spin the 1976 "Moody Blue" single.

Elvis and ABBA had more in common than "Moody blue" and "On top of old smoky". They both recorded several songs about broken marriages and lost love. If Elvis had lived a few more years, he could almost have recorded a whole album with lyrics that he should have liked:

A healthy Elvis who had recorded "Elvis sings ABBA" in 1981, could have been a bit interresting:

1) Knowing me, knowing you
2) The winner takes it all
3) My love, my life
4) The name of the game
5) When all is said and done
6) One of us

Abba was very familiar with the "old school" rock ´n´ roll, so he could have filled the album with some of their other songs "On and on and on", "I do I do I do" (hate that one), "Why did it have to be me" and other´s.

"Slipping through my finger´s" is about seeing you child growing up very fast...so perhaps that one could have been suitable too.

Kind regards

Björn

On the other side of things, one of their raunchiest is "Does Your Mother Know", but it's honestly difficult for me to imagine Elvis -- or anyone -- taking on their catalogue. ABBA is that super-rare combination of four people coming together and making track after track of top-shelf work.

Yes, thats probably true. And some of their earlier lyrics are a bit naive. I have heard some good cover versions like a punk version of "Ring Ring".

Regards Björn

Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 pm

ColinB wrote:
Lennart wrote:... I`ve never been a fan of ABBA...

I always liked the group as a whole............... and I was in love with a quarter of it...............

You were not alone, Colin !

I recall that, while pregnant (in 1977/78) Agnetha (or Bjorn, as the father)) said in an Abba magazine that maybe they should call the baby 'Elvis', if a boy, in memory of the late great.

Steve Morse

Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:If the lyrics were different, Elvis coulda done Fernando. He sings the Spanish songs like a-nobody!

Hello.

I don't like that song but I think it would have been nice to hear Elvis sing "The Winner Takes It All". It's one of ABBA's most heartfelt songs and, to me, slow, Bluesy numbers and ballads meant Elvis at his best.

By the way, who's that in the avatar? That face is familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:05 pm

ABBA also participated in versions of Jailhouse Rock and If You Love Me (Let Me Know) 8) on Olivia Newton-John's 1978 TV special "Olivia" [produced by Steve Binder].

Both remain officially unreleased on disc.