Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Quizz: Elvis/ABBA

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi!

Which song has been performed and released on disc by both Elvis Presley and ABBA?

Kind regards!

Björn

Re: Quizz: Elvis/ABBA

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:17 pm

'Cant Help Falling In Love With You'

Brian :)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

On Top Of Old Smokey

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:25 pm

On Top of Old Smoky

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:27 pm

Elvis Presley - "White Christmas" (1957)
ABBA (Hep Stars) - "White Christmas" (1967)

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

phpBB [video]

check on 1:33 sec
Last edited by Nora Sivle on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:29 pm

Looks like the ABBA B-side medley is the winner, but it's almost as much of a stretch as the Hep Stars!

phpBB [video]

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Scary doc! :D check out posting time..

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:35 pm

Personally, I wish Elvis had tried out "Dancing Queen."

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 pm

I think ,Money money money, would be The Colonels choice. :wink:

Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 pm

If the lyrics were different, Elvis coulda done Fernando. He sings the Spanish songs like a-nobody!

Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:51 pm

Frankie, I wish you wouldn't crop your avatar photo so much!
I remember her in 1968.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:22 am

Of course, whenever you want to catch a whiff of ABBA's influence on Elvis, just spin the 1976 "Moody Blue" single.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, whenever you want to catch a whiff of ABBA's influence on Elvis, just spin the 1976 "Moody Blue" single.

A whiff at best.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:38 am

ekenee wrote:Frankie, I wish you wouldn't crop your avatar photo so much!
I remember her in 1968.

It is a family board!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:39 am

I remember her in 1968.

In the full length pic, she has on a moo-moo and is ironing.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:00 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
I remember her in 1968.

It is a family board!

Not my family.

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 am

i always though Elvis was going to be swapping 'if you love me(let me know) for Abba's 'take a chance on me' in the late 70's concerts :roll: !!!!

Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:28 pm

I wonder if Elvis was even aware of ABBA?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:57 pm

Veeeery good! On top of old smoky is correct. But I´m very impressed by The Doc. Is "Hep stars" known i N.Y?? :shock:

KInd regards

Björn

Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm

dreambear wrote:Veeeery good! On top of old smoky is correct. But I´m very impressed by The Doc. Is "Hep stars" known i N.Y?? :shock:

KInd regards

Björn

::rocks :smt026

Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:43 pm

dreambear wrote:Veeeery good! On top of old smoky is correct. But I´m very impressed by The Doc. Is "Hep stars" known i N.Y?? :shock

Thanks -- do not underestimate the DOC!!!

Who doesn't love the Hep Stars?

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:00 pm

For those who wonder: Hep stars was the number one swedish act in the 60´s and the keyboard player in the group was no other than Benny Andersson of ABBA.

Björn Ulveaus was a member of the swedish folk-pop group Hootenanny singers, which also had great success in the 60´s.

Agnetha Fältskog and Frida Lyngstad had success in their own rights before ABBA, especially Fältskog, who had scored no 1 hits in Sweden in the 60´s.

The medley, including "On top of old smoky" was orginally recorded in 1975 for a charity album with other artists, but later re-released as the flip side of the 1978 single "Summer night city".

But on CD, it´s included where it belongs, as a bonus track on the 1975 album "ABBA".

Kind regards
Björn

Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Of course, whenever you want to catch a whiff of ABBA's influence on Elvis, just spin the 1976 "Moody Blue" single.

Elvis and ABBA had more in common than "Moody blue" and "On top of old smoky". They both recorded several songs about broken marriages and lost love. If Elvis had lived a few more years, he could almost have recorded a whole album with lyrics that he should have liked:

A healthy Elvis who had recorded "Elvis sings ABBA" in 1981, could have been a bit interresting:

1) Knowing me, knowing you
2) The winner takes it all
3) My love, my life
4) The name of the game
5) When all is said and done
6) One of us

Abba was very familiar with the "old school" rock ´n´ roll, so he could have filled the album with some of their other songs "On and on and on", "I do I do I do" (hate that one), "Why did it have to be me" and other´s.

"Slipping through my finger´s" is about seeing you child growing up very fast...so perhaps that one could have been suitable too.

Kind regards

Björn

Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 pm

Dreambear wrote: "I do I do I do" (hate that one), "

So do I!
Fernando is another song I dislike.
ABBA was HUGE in the mid 70:s when I grew up, they were everywhere on the radio and TV.

I do like a couple of songs, Knowing you, knowing me is a good song but I`ve never been a fan of ABBA.

Svenne Hedlund, the singer of Hep Stars is a huge Elvis fan and he recorded an album of Elvis songs already in the 60:s, and now he´s made another one. James Burton is one of the musicans on the new album.

Lennart