Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis: "Catch this, Sam!" Who's Sam?

Thu May 01, 2003 9:15 pm

I was re-listening to "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" from TTWII box set last night and really getting into it. It's a great live version!

When the backup singers come in on "Believe Me" Elvis says, "Get it, Sam!" At the end of the song he says, "Catch this, Sam" I assume he's referring to his belt, perhaps? In any case...who the heck is Sam? I don't remember (although they say senility starts in your 30's) any Sam in the group around that time.....opinions, please? Thanks!

Thu May 01, 2003 9:21 pm

Perhaps Elvis was referring to Sammy Davis Jr? I do know he attended the opening night show in August 70; perhaps he was at another one as well? Anyhow, just a guess :D

Thu May 01, 2003 9:23 pm

Thats always been one of my questions! and still the mystery continues of who is Sam. Ive always thought Sammy Davis too but who knows.

Thu May 01, 2003 9:54 pm

Yes, I think it is Sammy Davis - makes sense since he visted Elvis after the show.

Thu May 01, 2003 9:56 pm

Yep, it's Sammy D!

Thu May 01, 2003 10:41 pm

Another mystery solved :D thnx guys!

eagle: great picture you have :)

regards,
Stefan

Thu May 01, 2003 11:54 pm

Thanks everyone! Makes sense to me!!! You think Sammy was singing along with our boy? Wow...imagine video of THAT?!?!?

ps. Thanks for the compliment, Stefan. I can thank Clint Reno for the pic, he gave it to me back on the old board. It's a keeper!!!

Fri May 02, 2003 12:36 am

Great topic, man! I always wondered this myself (the TTWII CDs are some of the most played in my collection). The thing is, though, why would he say "Get it, Sam!" and especially "Catch this, Sam!" to Sammy Davis, Jr.? If Elvis is indeed talking to him because he's singing along, what is he supposed to catch?

Fri May 02, 2003 5:51 am

Beats me. :lol:

:mrgreen:

Catch this Sam

Fri May 02, 2003 8:11 am

Yes it s Sammy Davis Jr. - his words of "get this Sam" and "Catch this sam" refer to Elvis doing a quick soft shoe dance and then saying "that's the best that I can do." As Sammy was a dancer (amongst his many other talents) it makes sense.

I read this account in a review of the show on the net somewhere - I think the Elvis in Concert website - or possibly Elvis today or Man and His Music - can't remember.

Fri May 02, 2003 9:20 am

Thanks Forever...that makes sense. :D

:twisted:

Fri May 02, 2003 4:58 pm

Silly me!

I always thoght he was telling Sam Katzman to turn the cameras on!