Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Happy Birthday, "Loving You" sessions!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:34 am

Inspired by, and ported from, another topic!

---

RCA's Loving You album was a #1 hit for TEN weeks in 1957.

It offered songs heard on the actual soundtrack, alternative versions to those seen in the Paramount film, and five tracks independent of the soundtrack.

Today is February 24. The sessions are now about exactly 53 years old.

Happy Birthday, "Loving You" sessions!

"(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear" / "Loving You" - Single Release, June 1957

Loving You (RCA, 1957)

Side 1
1. Mean Woman Blues
2. (Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear *
3. Loving You
4. Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do
5. Lonesome Cowboy *
6. Hot Dog *
7. Party *

Side 2
1. Blueberry Hill
2. True Love
3. Don't Leave Me Now
4. Have I Told You Lately That I Love You?
5. I Need You So

---

All songs cut Jan 12 - Feb 24, 1957 at Radio Recorders in West Hollywood, except *.

* Paramount Scoring Stage in Los Angeles, Jan 15-22, 1957.

It's one of the great Elvis films.

And it was his only COLOR 1950s movie!

"Loving You" - 1957 Lobby Poster

I am just a lonesome cowboy
And I'm travelling all alone
If you don't call me baby
Then I'm never coming home

Girl: What's your number honey? I'LL call you!

Then I'm never ... coming ... home
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Happy Birthday, "Loving You" sessions!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:55 am

Nice reminder! Great soundtrack and a good movie! Time runs too fast! 53 years already?

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:04 am

In the UK, we got a measly 8 tracks on a 10" album !

The 7 film songs plus True Love.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:11 am

The first Elvis record (album) I ever owned at the age of 5 (1964) and I "keep buying those records". As a direct result of seeing Loving You on television.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:05 am

Cool post. It's probably the Elvis movie I've watched most. The final version of "Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do" is one of the finest moments of his film career.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:19 am

The movie and the '70s reissued LP was always a favorite of mine as a kid.

Timeless!
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:22 am

I will never forget the winter of 1979, 2 albums occupied my turntable from December 79 to March, 1980..."Loving You" and ......(wait for it!) "Today". Each year I bought an LP or 2 and listened to it for days on end. As I was only 14 at the time I never once thought of how Elvis '57 was so different from Elvis '75. I loved each album I discovered, some more than others sure, but on this anniversary I remember the winter of 79 and trying to make out all the words he said in "Got A Lot of Living To Do". I just loved that album (and "Today" too for that matter).

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:24 am

Great post, Doc!
Just BTW, Party is the last track on Side 1, not the first on Side 2.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 am

Great, inspired, fun material. Happy Birthday, Loving You!

Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 am

TJ wrote:Cool post. It's probably the Elvis movie I've watched most.
The final version of "Got a Lot o' Livin' to Do" is one of the finest moments of his film career.

Agreed.

Along with Mean Woman Blues it came closest to capturing the excitement of an actual live 50s Elvis performance !

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Great post, Doc!
Just BTW, Party is the last track on Side 1, not the first on Side 2.

Thanks.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:57 pm

The sessions are now about exactly 53 years old. Interesting concept :D, but I guess I know what you mean, Doc.

I'm probably in a minority of one, but I've never liked that closing I've Got A Lot Of Living To Do scene in Loving You. Elvis's movements seem unnatural. Only my opinion, folks !

Steve Morse

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm

When it was shown here first time around I was no Elvis fan yet. When it was shown in 1960 I was not allowed to enter the cinema as it had a 14+ tag (because of the fight). Had to wait until I could see it at an Elvis Convention in 1969 (Leicester) or 1970 (Versailles).
If I remember correctly it was 1969 and in 1970 I saw "King Creole" which even had an 18+ tag (because of the violence and sex) at the cinema here. Hey, it was the fifties! These days you see more violence on the news than in any 18+ movie of the fifties.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Steve Morse wrote:... I've never liked that closing I've Got A Lot Of Living To Do scene in Loving You. Elvis's movements seem unnatural.

Gladys Presley thought it was just about perfect.

Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:... I've never liked that closing I've Got A Lot Of Living To Do scene in Loving You. Elvis's movements seem unnatural.

Gladys Presley thought it was just about perfect.

I'm with Gladys !

Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:35 am

So was Vernon!

Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:56 am

Just loved this album. Unfortunately I did not get to see this movie in the theater. I did see it in black and white while he was in the army. Los Angeles TV showed it. I had to wait until the VHS tape came out to see it in color. Then had to wait some more until the widescreen DVD came out to see it correctly!!

BTW - some kids from my High School class are in the scene where he sings Mean Woman Blues - lucky so and so's!!!

BTW here is the original LP cover
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:39 am

It's so nice to own a mint original british 10" LP of this classic movie.
"you don't mind if he sings a song with these folks?"
"nnnn no no nnn no, iii don't mmmind"
"i got a woman mean as she can be...."

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:00 am

HenriB wrote:Just loved this album. Unfortunately I did not get to see this movie in the theater. I did see it in black and white while he was in the army. Los Angeles TV showed it. I had to wait until the VHS tape came out to see it in color. Then had to wait some more until the widescreen DVD came out to see it correctly!!

BTW - some kids from my High School class are in the scene where he sings Mean Woman Blues - lucky so and so's!!!

BTW here is the original LP cover

I still have to buy it in Widescreen DVD one day
I own the Daily Mail dvd version. Only cost me 2$ on ebay!

Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:33 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:It's so nice to own a mint original british 10" LP of this classic movie.

Drivel. You are a plant.

Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:25 am

ekenee wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:It's so nice to own a mint original british 10" LP of this classic movie.

Drivel. You are a plant.

Do i really blossom? Thanks for the kind words. :)

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:20 pm

HenriB wrote:BTW here is the original LP cover

Side 1 (All the above songs are from "Loving You")
Side 2 (None of the above songs are from "Loving You")

Thank you! I hadn't realized until seeing the original rear sleeve that sides 1 and 2 were split between the movie and non-movie songs.

The UK versions of the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night and Help! LPs (as well as the US Magical Mystery Tour LP) followed exactly the same pattern. I didn't know Elvis had got there first.

Making me wonder, of course, whether the US Loving You LP was imported into the UK at the time as a better way to get the tracks than the cut-down 10" UK Loving You LP and subsequent Elvis Presley EP.

Does anyone know or remember?

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm

NumberEight wrote:Side 1 (All the above songs are from "Loving You")
Side 2 (None of the above songs are from "Loving You")

Thank you! I hadn't realized until seeing the original rear sleeve that sides 1 and 2 were split between the movie and non-movie songs.

The UK versions of the Beatles' A Hard Day's Night and Help! LPs (as well as the US Magical Mystery Tour LP) followed exactly the same pattern. I didn't know Elvis had got there first.

Making me wonder, of course, whether the US Loving You LP was imported into the UK at the time as a better way to get the tracks than the cut-down 10" UK Loving You LP and subsequent Elvis Presley EP.

Does anyone know or remember?

Were US-imported LPs a big thing in the mid-to-late 1950s?