Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:58 am

I`ve said it before, someone else said it here already. Unedited Elvis perfrormances only, from Dorsey, to Sinatra on 1 DVD. That`s the project! Bring it on!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 am

Stage Show was a Jake Gleason Enterprises production. The 30 minute show debuted july 3 1954.

Milton Berle Show aka Texaco Star Theatre and Buick - Berle Show was a NBC production. The show debuted june 8 1948.and concluded in 1956.

First point of contract would be these two organisations.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:19 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:James27, Nice post!

Thank you!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:22 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Stage Show was a Jake Gleason Enterprises production. The 30 minute show debuted july 3 1954.

Milton Berle Show aka Texaco Star Theatre and Buick - Berle Show was a NBC production. The show debuted june 8 1948.and concluded in 1956.

First point of contract would be these two organisations.

There`s a market for it though, and they can all make money from it. If they thought they could turn it into money, they would get it out there. Maybe one day we`ll see it. There are ads all the time on TV for compilation CD`s from artists on all kinds of different labels, so it`s been done before.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:48 am

Well stated along with great video links Doc! 8)

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:44 pm

I would have thought that the test would have been for how much sales did the Sullivan sets garner.

If the numbers were significant, then I would think that the people holding on to the Dorsey shows,
would have been inspired to release them to disc.

Perhaps the Sullivans set didn't sell too many.

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:45 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Stage Show was a Jake Gleason Enterprises production. The 30 minute show debuted july 3 1954.

CBS-TV's Stage Show ran a full hour in 1954, as a summer replacement series for "The Jackie Gleason Show."

Gleason brought it back in the fall of 1955 when he decided he didn't want to offer his full 60-minute variety show, but instead do a half hour version each week of "The Honeymooners." At that point the Dorseys hosted a 30-minute version of "Stage Show" at 8:00 PM, followed by "The Honeymooners" at 8:30 PM. Come January of the following year, America met Elvis Presley.

Anytime you watch one of the "classic 39" from the syndicated "Honeymooners" package, it may well be one which followed Elvis' appearance on "Stage Show."

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:27 pm

Why did Elvis always make reference to the "Jackie Gleason Show" instead of "The Dorsey Bros. Stage Show" ? Was he not aware ?

Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

James27 wrote:Why did Elvis always make reference to the "Jackie Gleason Show" instead of "The Dorsey Bros. Stage Show" ? Was he not aware ?

Stunning avatar James!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:26 pm

Let's not make all of this too complicated by wanting or even talking about a box-set of all things! The Sullivan and Sinatra shows are already available on DVD. Can't we all come together and focus on the shows that haven't been released, yet? The place to start should be with his first and most important television appearances.

First things first.... Jackie Gleason's Stage Show and then the Milton Berle, Steve Allen shows.

Well stated, THEMEMPHISFAN. 8)

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:12 pm

Are you with me?

Sure am Doc.It's great seeing Elvis develop into a confident performer.He knew what he was
doing alright with the hip swivels and leg gyrations.You can see why teenagers went crazy
for him and why the Mothers and Fathers of America wanted him locked up.
I was blown away with the quality of the Ed Sullivan DVD and would be overjoyed at a simlilar release of this rock "n" roll gold.

What can we do?
i don't know but this topic is a good place to start.The more responses the better as some
bigwig may be swayed.

norrie

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:51 am

norrie wrote:What can we do?
i don't know but this topic is a good place to start.The more responses the better as some bigwig may be swayed.

Right on, norrie!

Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 am

Didn't the General Sarnoff have plans for release and they went south?

If the estate ever gets around to anthology, then these 1956 performances deserve a disc of their own.

If they make a quality Elvis product it will sell. They make so much money on Elvis, I can't see the hold up here.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:42 am

ekenee wrote:Didn't the General Sarnoff have plans for release and they went south?

I'm unsure what is the status of his work on this material. He would be the PERFECT choice to restore the remaining 1956 kinescopes.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:30 am

Great, Doc, thanks! It´s overdue...

O.S. ::rocks

Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:43 am

Old Shep wrote:Great, Doc, thanks! It´s overdue...

O.S. ::rocks

You ain't just a-woofin'!

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 am

Hey Doc,

Don't forget the Wink Martindale appearance as well as the two Dick Clark American Bandstand interviews with Elvis and of course the "Welcome Home Elvis" television program.

Daryl

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:28 am

Daryl wrote:Hey Doc,

Don't forget the Wink Martindale appearance as well as the two Dick Clark American Bandstand interviews with Elvis and of course the "Welcome Home Elvis" television program.

Daryl

I brought up the Martindale appearance.
There were 3 Dick Clark Bandstand interviews actually.
One on his birthday. Can't recall which year. 1959 or 1960.
One on the Bandstand anniversary show in 1959. This date can be checked.
and one just before his release from the Army.
But we are now getting past the scope of the DVD release.
The Welcome home thing is in 1960, a new decade and a stand alone release.
There is also, the Memphis Traffic appearance in sept. 1957 if that can be found.
Also, it is rumored that he appeared on a New years special on a local Memphis TV on Dec. 31 1956.
A show called Holiday Hop. I think this was probably a one time, 11:30 to past midnight teen music dance type of thing,
to ring in the new year. It's funny but not even a still as come of this appearnce.
But no one can verify this with local newspapers or local tv guides as of yet.

Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:45 pm

Daryl wrote:Don't forget the Wink Martindale appearance as well as the two Dick Clark American Bandstand interviews with Elvis and of course the "Welcome Home Elvis" television program.

The June 16, 1956 "Dance Party" promotional appearance with Wink Martindale might be worthwhile if all the film footage can be located. Frankly, I'd rather seen a restored kinescope, to see what Memphis TV viewers enjoyed that Saturday afternoon. But it's unlikely it exists today.

In fact, all the dates on my list are performance-only, save the "Hy Gardner Calling" interview. That was included since it was done just a few hours after Elvis had completed his two songs and sketch on "The Steve Allen Show."

Your other suggestions, as noted, are well outside the scope of a 1956 DVD set.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:52 am

Granted, the transcript of the conversation indicates that it was possibly the worst interview that Elvis ever gave:

JD: So, you're gonna be on the S.S. Mt. Vernon tonight?
EP: Yep.
JD: Have you ever worked on a boat before?
EP: Nope.
JD: I imagine you're looking forward to this aren't you?
EP: Yep.

However, it would be fantastic to think that a recording of Elvis' brief guest appearance on Jimmy Dean's WMAL-TV show, Town and Country Time, on 23 March 1956 is out there somewhere.

Catch the full story at http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_on_the_potomac.shtml and http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/elvis_jimmy_dean.shtml.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:04 am

Sadly, unless Jimmy Dean has an awesome personal archive, that one is lost forever.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:12 am

it probily has something to do with the estates of dorsey,allen,berle?are they still in copyright?
a brief note
berle and allen shows were also broadcast in color. no color films or kinscopes i guess?any idea doc

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:14 pm

If only there was more footage of Elvis live in Memphis in 1957, that would be the holy grail for me as I love to see him gyrating. What a mover! Maybe there's more police film of his concerts that we haven't seen. I've seen what seems like news footage of a large crowd inside an arena and the reporter says they're waiting for Elvis to go on stage. But theres no footage of Elvis! Why film the crowd and not Elvis? It's either 56 or 57.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:24 pm

There's no known "police footage" out there -- it's all newsreel. The so-called 1957 "police footage" in 1981's "This Is Elvis" was a dramatic contrivance.

Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:There's no known "police footage" out there -- it's all newsreel. The so-called 1957 "police footage" in 1981's "This Is Elvis" was a dramatic contrivance.

I think key word in your claim is, "known". We do know that the police filmed his show at least twice.
The film is probably in some city archive, or perhaps the estate of some retired police cheif.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.