Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:32 am

On the 54th anniversary of Elvis Presley's network TV debut, we still await the ultimate DVD. It's now three 3 years since the release of Image Entertainment's superb The Ed Sullivan Shows DVD (September 9, 1956, October 28, 1956 and January 6, 1957). It's high time fans got the rest of Elvis' 1950s TV appearances issued in a DVD package, preferably restored to perfection, a la the 2006 Sullivan set, by LiveFeed Video Imaging.

---

Behold, some amazing rock 'n' roll, from rock's first wave!

Stage Show: CBS-TV
Saturday, January 28 - "Shake, Rattle and Roll"/"Flip, Flop and Fly" + "I Got A Woman"

phpBB [video]

Bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0z0ZXUYNhk&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbMEP8FKPbE&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InF7oA_XyTk&fmt=18

Saturday, February 4- "Baby, Let's Play House" + "Tutti Frutti"

phpBB [video]

Bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB-cM0XFXzI&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFEX6ThtgsQ&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGpmn88DfU0&fmt=18

Saturday, February 11 - "Blue Suede Shoes" + "Heartbreak Hotel"

phpBB [video]

Saturday, February 18 - "Tutti Frutti" + "I Was The One"

phpBB [video]

Saturday, March 17 - "Blue Suede Shoes" + "Heartbreak Hotel"

phpBB [video]

Bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp3ywhOEDgc&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1Qo1eaWF8c&fmt=18

Saturday, March 24 - "Money Honey" + "Heartbreak Hotel"

phpBB [video]

Bonus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3E2W_x-Be4&fmt=18

The Milton Berle Show: NBC-TV
Tuesday, April 3 - "Blue Suede Shoes" + "Heartbreak Hotel"

phpBB [video]

The Milton Berle Show: NBC-TV
Tuesday, June 5 - "Hound Dog" + "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You"

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

The Steve Allen Show: NBC-TV
Sunday, July 1 - "I Want You, I Need You, I Love You" + "Hound Dog"

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Hy Gardner Calling: WRCA-TV (NBC's New York affiliate)
Sunday, July 1 - Interview

phpBB [video]

Are you with me? What can we do??
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: January 28, 1956 --> The Time Has Come!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 am

Muchas gracias doc. It's absolutely ridiculous that ALL his early TV appearances aren't gathered on an official DVD box set in the best possible quality, chronologically. From the first Dorsey through to Sinatra. Maybe throw in the dubbed Vegas 56 footage and the Tupelo stuff too.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:52 am

Excellent post. This material is long overdue in good quality.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:08 am

Nice one!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:13 am

I absolutely agree, it's a crying shame that we haven't got all this footage in the best possible quality. 54 years since....what on earth are they waiting for!?

We should indeed try to do a petition or whatever, like we did with Elvis On Tour (that worked didn't it :))

We can't afford to wait much longer with all this historic footage, I feel like It's Now Or Never.

Cheers,
Simon

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:16 am

Oh, and thanks for the line-up of clips Doc.
It's Rock & Roll history right in front of your eyes!

Cheers,
Simon

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:18 am

The miracle of the Internet!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:59 am

Doc, I thank you.

This, my good friend, is what it's all about, and all it ever will be about; among other superficial, spineless gimmicks that plague this board on a daily basis.

Thank You again.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:04 am

minkahed wrote:Doc, I thank you.

This, my good friend, is what it's all about, and all it ever will be about; among other superficial, spineless gimmicks that plague this board on a daily basis.

Thank You again.

I appreciate your kind words.

Despite what you may read or hear -- the Doc is always about the man and his music!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:14 am

Thank you! I hope some suit somewhere takes a look at this board and say, "Doc is right! We have to get this material out there immediately!" That would make a great 75th!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:Thank you!

I hope some suit somewhere takes a look at this board and say, "Doc is right!

We have to get this material out there immediately!" That would make a great 75th!

Now you're talking!

You can trust the DOC!!!

ALL the major Elvis players visit FECC. This is the #1 Presley forum in the world.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:05 am

The only other TV appearance that would make this release PERFECT, would be the Wink Martindale interview from
June 16, 1956.

The time has come and gone. These initial TV appearances NEED to be out there to show how
Elvis became a sensation months before he even signed on with Mr. Ed Sullivan.

When I was a teenager I used up many a projector lamp watching these early shows on 8mm film with sound. Awesome stuff.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:51 am

I am with the Doc and I trust him.

Gimme the "50´s TV performances - From January to July 1956"

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:44 am

Yes, the time has come. I like the idea of a box set of everything chronologically form Dorsey to Sinatra, interviews included. There's got to be a way to make it happen.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Despite what you may read or hear -- the Doc is always about the man and his music!

As in
"Despite what you read or hear, we're here and we're healthy and the hell with anything else," said Elvis Presley to a cheering crowd of some 12000 fans (Baton Rouge May 31st 1977)

:?:

Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Great idea Doc. It's about time these were released.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:00 pm

How can anyone do anything else but to agree? Long overdue.

Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:47 pm

One of our own members here started some paid downloads of the remastered Dorsey shows, but they stopped after the first couple...................

Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Great post. This matter has always amazed me, the same fact that so few of the early live recordings are released on CD aswell, considering the amount of 70's soundboards and alternate takes we have - though I still want those too! But please, now we've got Elvis On Tour coming up on Blu-Ray, all we need now is some kind of set like this. It HAS to happen someday!

Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Saturday, March 17 - "Blue Suede Shoes" + "Heartbreak Hotel"

phpBB [video]

Look at that Cat during this show! Wooah! He had much more confidence during this show than just month before. This is one of his best performances ever.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:02 am

pauls35 wrote:Look at that Cat during this show! Wooah! He had much more confidence during this show than just month before. This is one of his best performances ever.

Totally agree! Something has changed -- perhaps the fact that his singles and albums were selling like hotcakes.

Whatever it was, Elvis was changing the landscape with every appearance.

And let's not forget that these Stage Show spots were a pure taste of what people were seeing in concert since at least the previous August, when D.J. officially joined the group. They are somewhat noir-ish, especially when compared to what was next.

Elvis, Scotty, Bill and D.J. [ lead vocals, rhythm guitar -- lead guitar -- bass -- drums ] were also inventing the standard rock group style. It has more-or-less remained in place for over 50 years now!

Sadly, after the Berle appearance on June 5, Scotty, Bill and D.J. would start to fade into the background.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis, Scotty, Bill and D.J. [ lead vocals, rhythm guitar -- lead guitar -- bass -- drums ] were also inventing the standard rock group style. It has more-or-less remained in place for over 50 years now!

It's a pity that Bill can barely be heard because more balanced audio would make these even more fantastic. Elvis and his acoustic are often way out in front, although that can be cool, eg he's really leading the way on Money Honey.

At some point, these must surely get an official release. I'm sure many of us appreciated the restoration work our forum friend was doing, but also held out on buying as a download in the hope that they would make it onto DVD.

Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:01 pm

Incredible stuff! Thanks for the links Doc!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:46 am

Joe Car wrote:Incredible stuff! Thanks for the links Doc!

The doc is here for you!

Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:41 am

Wow, in watching these old clips, one is reminded once again of the power and uniqueness of Elvis Presley. It's very easy to see what impact this must have made on American audiences, it hasn't lost anything of its charm today, and it's quite a bold move for the producers to book such a raw, polarizing talent. I wonder if they scratched their heads later, seeing how far Elvis went, were they proud of their contribution or did they feel embarrassment and wish it never happened ? After all, they were from a different ilk.

The thing that amazes me most about these early performances, is how amazingly self-confident he was on a stage at such a young age. Once he got over the first few seconds of stage fright, he just captured an audience and had them eating out of the palm of his hand. He tried something, they responded, so he tried some more, and they responded even more. It was a pure stimulus-response thing, right up until the end, that was what Elvis was all about. Couple that with an amazingly supple voice, a versatile musical talent based on rock-solid musical roots, god-like looks, decade-defining style, and that certain je-ne-sais-quoi, and you have the greatest popular music star of all times. 8)