Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Kid Galahad

Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:35 am

Let's be honest, Elvis is soooooooooooo hot in "Kid Galahad," especially wearing those white trunks with the green trim.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:40 am

*tries to ignore what's written above*

I caught Kid Galahad on TV the other night. I hadn't seen it in quite some time. I really hate how they futz with the music by adding the smaltzy orchestrations over the songs. Why on earth did they do that?

Thu May 26, 2011 7:42 am

THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Elvis' movies with his worst looking hair styles (IMO) :

KID GALAHAD
GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!
IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR
BLUE HAWAII
CHANGE OF HABIT
ELVIS ON TOUR

In parts it's a bit weird but it looks good during "I Got Lucky" and of course having his natural hair colour suits him.

Yes, both GGG and World's Fair with that awful parting but I think his hair is great in "Blue Hawaii" he looks like God in "Change Of Habit" and its way too long in "Elvis On Tour"

"Wild In The Country" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style" are pretty bad hair day's for me.

"you can't yell loud enough to make me shut up"

Thu May 26, 2011 8:30 am

Several years ago I bought a box set of the 4 UA films. Follow That Dream is the best among the 4, followed by Kid Galahad, Frankie and Johnny and Clambake.

Kid Galahad is definitely better than the Hal Wallis' productions.

Thu May 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I love Girl Happy, but I am a huge fan of Shelley Fabares, and I like both the Hollywood rockers and the ballads in the soundtrack. Even crap like Fort Lauderdale Chamber Of Commerce, I dig.

Girl happy one of my favorates!
Kid Galahad is ok , but if I was to recommend any 60's Elvis flick to a non-Elvis fan it would be "Follow That Dream" just so many good scenes in it especially that scene about the "parking meter while at the bank trying to get a loan" funny stuff!

Thu May 26, 2011 2:53 pm

Kid Galahad is a decent enough time-filler. It doesen't match up to the original, neither does it compare to the better boxing pictures of the era - Somebody Up There Likes Me, The Harder They Fall - nor does it really try to, I suppose. Everyone involved is competent enough and the songs are mostly good - as is the scenery - but it's largely an innocuous affair that falls between to stools.

Had Elvis been afforded a keener, song-free script, I'm sure that he - and everyone else involved - could, and would, have committed to a better drama. The potential was there, I believe, and could have helped maintain the balance between lighter vehicles and more dramatic fare -- something that Elvis would lose by this stage in his acting career.

Thu May 26, 2011 5:01 pm

One of the advantages of being a fan since 1956 is that you can relate to any part of his career in real time. I went to see Kid Galahad on its original release (as I did with all 33 Elvis films) in this case at the Ritz cinema in Tonbridge. Everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy it with the girls screaming everytime he sang. On leaving the cinema I overheard several people saying how much they had liked it.

I personally enjoyed it then, and it is still one of my favourits to this day made, as it was, before the tight scedules and budgets of later movies. Also Elvis was still on form and not, at this stage, totally fed up with his film career.

It is easy in retrospect to criticize K.G. for being too light hearted, however this is how the movie puplic wanted thier films in the early 60's 'Somebody up there Likes Me' Paul Newmans's great boxing flick, was made in the more gritty mid 50's.

Chris.

Thu May 26, 2011 6:40 pm

Kid Galahad is one of my favorite Elvis movies. It is a fun movie and I love the opening song and soundtrack.

phpBB [video]

Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Chris: Thank you for your excellent post. Having been there, it does help to put things in better perspective.

Can you share when you first began to feel concern over the quality of Elvis' movies? Could you tell from the reaction when they began losing their audience? I have a friend in New Jersey who saw many of the films first run and he said it wasn't until 1966 that he began to notice a huge drop in attendance in this area.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with us!

Bob

Chris Roberts wrote:One of the advantages of being a fan since 1956 is that you can relate to any part of his career in real time. I went to see Kid Galahad on its original release (as I did with all 33 Elvis films) in this case at the Ritz cinema in Tonbridge. Everyone in the audience seemed to enjoy it with the girls screaming everytime he sang. On leaving the cinema I overheard several people saying how much they had liked it.

I personally enjoyed it then, and it is still one of my favourits to this day made, as it was, before the tight scedules and budgets of later movies. Also Elvis was still on form and not, at this stage, totally fed up with his film career.

It is easy in retrospect to criticize K.G. for being too light hearted, however this is how the movie puplic wanted thier films in the early 60's 'Somebody up there Likes Me' Paul Newmans's great boxing flick, was made in the more gritty mid 50's.

Chris.

Thu May 26, 2011 8:48 pm

It's easy to criticise Kid Galahad for being ''too light hearted,'' because that's what it was. Yes, Somebody Up There Likes Me was far more gritty - not to mention better acted, written, shot and directed - a true, full-blooded drama, as oppossed to a more family friendly affair in the shape of Kid Galahad; but the tone of Galahad had little to do with when, but who AND why . . .

Films of the 1960s could be - and were - every bit as gritty and dark as those of the 1950s. Not, of course, in Elvis's case, with the first to the last of his pictures of the decade - Flaming Star aside - being cut with a dose of sugar.

The Sixties were a time of revolution in music and cinema, but Elvis was left in the lurch and his audience soon dwindled -- and pleasant as Kid Galahad was, it flew so far under the radar in, pretty much, every respect, that Elvis probably NEEDED a decent crowd-pleaser to follow. Subsequent offerings, such as Girls, Girls, Girls, It Happened at the World's Fair and Kissin' Cousins were no less flimsy, but at least they knew what they were -- and up went the takings . . .

Thu May 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
THEMEMPHISFAN wrote:Elvis' movies with his worst looking hair styles (IMO) :

KID GALAHAD
GIRLS! GIRLS! GIRLS!
IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR
BLUE HAWAII
CHANGE OF HABIT
ELVIS ON TOUR

In parts it's a bit weird but it looks good during "I Got Lucky" and of course having his natural hair colour suits him.

Yes, both GGG and World's Fair with that awful parting but I think his hair is great in "Blue Hawaii" he looks like God in "Change Of Habit" and its way too long in "Elvis On Tour"

"Wild In The Country" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style" are pretty bad hair day's for me.

"you can't yell loud enough to make me shut up"

A bad hair day... what about Follow That Dream?!

Kid Galahad.... ummm.... nothing spectacular. Nice colors, a few nice tunes, nice location and Elvis is still awake but those fight scenes man... they a bad joke. It is embarrassing to watch Elvis taking all of thoses punches and then drop the guy with one hook or whatever. But - of course - we have seen worse...

The movie always reminds me about that joke that Elvis made in a press conference in 1957 about playing a singing boxer.

Thu May 26, 2011 10:40 pm

Thank you HoneyTalkNelson and Greystoke for you responses.
I saw G.G.G. in the autumn of '62 and in responce to Greystoke, the audience was certainly more vocal in its support than F.O.D and K.G. as the musical Elvis was certainly, at this time, what the fans wanted and their was a lot more screaming for the 'on stage' numbers such as 'Return to Sender', so much so it was almost like he was their in person, this was the last film that I can remember the girls screaming.

By the spring of '63 Merseybeat had arrived and the Beatles were No.1 with 'From me to You'. IHATWF and FIA certainly kept up the standard and the cinemas were still full with the puplic queueing to get in, however the excitment semed to be lacking and a typicle comment was "he seems to be moving away from the teenagers". VLV revived the excitment, I saw this film on several ocasions and each time the cinema was packed. Roustabout was well received as was GH and in particular TM seemed to appeal to the younger crowd.

The films that followed were on the whole dissapointing, their was still a substancial audience and I even drove a 60mile round trip to Brighton to see PHS hoping it would be another BH! During this time I remember 'California Holiday' (Spinout) as being a step in the right direction with enthused audiences, but unfortunatly it seemed all downhill from here with LAL,LAL not even being shown in the UK, I saw it with the fan club in Belgium and Charo in the DeMontford hall in Leicester.

'Speedway', by the way, was the first Elvis film to support a main feature which in this case was 'How to Steal the World'. Up till then all his were at least the main feature. The excitment was most definatly back with both TTWIS and Elvis On Tour, and everyone I know who saw them, were full of praise!

Chris.

Thu May 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:Thank you HoneyTalkNelson and Greystoke for you responses.
I saw G.G.G. in the autumn of '62 and in responce to Greystoke, the audience was certainly more vocal in its support than F.O.D and K.G. as the musical Elvis was certainly, at this time, what the fans wanted and their was a lot more screaming for the 'on stage' numbers such as 'Return to Sender', so much so it was almost like he was their in person, this was the last film that I can remember the girls screaming.

By the spring of '63 Merseybeat had arrived and the Beatles were No.1 with 'From me to You'. IHATWF and FIA certainly kept up the standard and the cinemas were still full with the puplic queueing to get in, however the excitment semed to be lacking and a typicle comment was "he seems to be moving away from the teenagers". VLV revived the excitment, I saw this film on several ocasions and each time the cinema was packed. Roustabout was well received as was GH and in particular TM seemed to appeal to the younger crowd.

The films that followed were on the whole dissapointing, their was still a substancial audience and I even drove a 60mile round trip to Brighton to see PHS hoping it would be another BH! During this time I remember 'California Holiday' (Spinout) as being a step in the right direction with enthused audiences, but unfortunatly it seemed all downhill from here with LAL,LAL not even being shown in the UK, I saw it with the fan club in Belgium and Charo in the DeMontford hall in Leicester.

'Speedway', by the way, was the first Elvis film to support a main feature which in this case was 'How to Steal the World'. Up till then all his were at least the main feature. The excitment was most definatly back with both TTWIS and Elvis On Tour, and everyone I know who saw them, were full of praise!

Chris.

Chris, Outstanding summary! Great to read from someone having been there. Thank you for sharing!!

Thu May 26, 2011 11:38 pm

Albert Goldman wrote: A bad hair day... what about Follow That Dream?
I don't think Elvis looks bad at all. Look at these fantastic pics...

Saved the best for last...

Fri May 27, 2011 12:10 am

EPA4368 wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote: A bad hair day... what about Follow That Dream?
I don't think Elvis looks bad at all. Look at these fantastic pics...

Saved the best for last...

Okay, I see a pattern here... :)

I dig the Kwimper family, but for me that is maybe the weirdest hairstyle that the King ever wore - along with the Kid Galahad -look. Especially the cover of Pot Luck looks a bit silly... different strokes for different folks?

Fri May 27, 2011 7:29 am

Jove wrote:Several years ago I bought a box set of the 4 UA films. Follow That Dream is the best among the 4, followed by Kid Galahad, Frankie and Johnny and Clambake.

Kid Galahad is definitely better than the Hal Wallis' productions.

It's been years and years since I've seen Follow That Dream. I've always like it and hope it will make it to blu-ray soon. While I've seen numerous Elvis flicks play on the cable channels, Follow That Dream has not been one of them.

Remember when Elvis movies played prime time on the networks? The last one I remember seeing was Girl Happy. It had to be mid-70's when I saw it.

Fri May 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I caught the 1937 original on a movie channel (TCM?) a few weeks ago and have now managed to obtain an Italian release of this difficult-to-get DVD - "L'Uomo Di Bronzo". Google translates this as “The Man of Bronze”.

The film is in English and is thoroughly enjoyable if you enjoy early cinema as I do, and view the films in the context of the times. The Elvis connection - in reverse - is important of course, but you have a film, too, which is quite fast moving and boasts a star-studded cast of Edward G. Robinson, Bette Davis and, in a lesser role, Humphrey Bogart. Bette Davies, more renowned perhaps for her later, darker roles, is absolutely gorgeous in this film. The main character, Ward Guisenberry, is so innocent and wholesome that he makes his counterpart in the Elvis version, Walter Gulick, seem like a hoodlum by comparison !

I enjoy watching remakes of original stories, as you get different perspectives and differing applications of artistic licence. “The 39 Steps” is a good example, of which I have four filmed versions.

I am glad to have both versions of Kid Galahad on DVD, and each has its own merits.

Steve Morse

Fri May 27, 2011 1:23 pm

The original Kid Galahad was a terrific film, with a stellar cast and ace direction from Michael Curtiz. And, as I mentioned on the King Creole thread, had Curtiz been well, able and willing; and Elvis's remake was destined to be more dramatic, then he may have been the ideal director.

Between Kid Galahad and Follow That Dream, I prefer the latter. It's a good comedy with lovely scenery and likeable performances - and although Elvis's hair looks a bit daft in some of the publicity shots, it looks great on screen. It's a shame that Follow That Dream isn't better known, having landed in the shadow of Blue Hawaii. That Florida coastline would look stunning on Blu-Ray!

Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Kid Galahad all the way for me ! Follow That Dream was ok not one of my fav elvis movies by a long shot.elvis's hair is ok no where near as bad as it would get in 65 to 67 and 72 to 77.

Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 am

Ken Jensen wrote:I define Elvis movies in three categories:

1) Good
2) Mediocre
3) Stinkers

The movies should probably be rated like this:

1) Love Me Tender; Loving You; Jailhouse Rock; King Creole; G.I. Blues*; Flaming Star; Wild in the Country; Follow That Dream; Kid Galahad; It Happened at the World’s Fair; Viva Las Vegas; Tickle Me; Spinout; Live a Little, Love a Little; Charro!; That’s the Way It Is; Elvis on Tour

2) Blue Hawaii; Girls! Girls! Girls!*; Fun in Acapulco; Roustabout; Frankie and Johnny; Double Trouble*; The Trouble with Girls (and How to Get into It); Change of Habit

3) Kissin’ Cousins; Girl Happy; Harum Scarum; Paradise, Hawaiian Style; Easy Come, Easy Go; Clambake; Speedway; Stay Away, Joe

* = may belong one level down

G.I. Blues: Fun and full of energy and lightheartedness. It’s enjoyable to watch, and that’s why I placed it in category 1.

Double Trouble: First hour is great, but the movie goes south when the three Belgian morons pop up and ruin everything. Elvis is totally bored with the silly script and can’t even be bothered to act, and this is actually quite funny. If I didn’t know any better, I would think he did it on purpose.

Some of the classifications may be discussed, but most of them are spot on.

Not Bad, Not Bad At All. Love the review for Double Trouble. Thanks for posting!

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:13 am

Sorry, but my opinion is that Charro is not in the same league with Flaming Star, it's mediocre at best.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:22 am

I like the movie. Nice songs. Nice film. It's a big favorite of mine :D

Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:06 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry, but my opinion is that Charro is not in the same league with Flaming Star, it's mediocre at best.

I agree. Flaming Star is a better movie than Charro!

But as for the music, "Charro" is a better song than "Flaming Star", in my opinion.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:04 am

Julian Grant wrote:"Wild In The Country" and "Paradise Hawaiian Style" are pretty bad hair day's for me.

I think most would agree with regards to his general all-round poor appearance in PHS; but I really don't see anything wrong with his hair in WITC, Julian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:58 am

Charro is a terrible movie, virtually unwatchable. For me, Wild In The Country is also very overrated by many. A very poor movie and EP is laughable in it.

I like Kid Galahad.