Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Klein: I slept with Elvis Presley - video clip

Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:54 am

This is some good humorous stuff. Also he talks about if Elvis were still alive and what all he would be doing at 75.

http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/dpp/good_mo ... n%27-elvis

Re: Klein: I slept with Elvis Presley - video clip

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 am

where did I hear that story before about sleeping with elvis?hhhmmmmm oh yeah Lamar,except in lamars version elvis stands on the bed and starts swinging his pillow over his head and starts hitting lamar with it..but other than that they are the same story right down to Gladys warning them before hand...

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:56 am

The new Klein book sounds better with each passing moment.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:59 pm

Just what the world needs, another book on Elvis :roll:

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:08 pm

Is there anybody, how ever vaguely connected to Elvis, that did not write a book (yet)?

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:10 pm

It's time for Doc to write a book.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:22 pm

I read about 40% of the book last night (not in order) and so far am pleasantly surprised. He did not simply recycle the same ten stories he tells in Memphis. He is quite critical where Parker is concerned, in contrast to Schilling and Esposito, the other two members of Priscilla's "in crowd." He is more candid about Elvis' decline than I expected him to be.

Then again, the opening scene puts him at Graceland's dining room table, in early 1969, as Elvis meets with Felton, Diskin and Freddie. GK puts it all on the line, telling Elvis why songwriters in that day and age no longer need to give up their publishing, and making the case for recording at American.

I recall reading a very similar story, as told by Marty, where he is the person taking the initiative, and risk, in rocking the boat.

Who to believe?
Last edited by elvisjock on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Luuk wrote:Is there anybody, how ever vaguely connected to Elvis, that did not write a book (yet)?

Ginger Alden.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:28 pm

I usually don't consider tell-all books to be the truth about someone but in some cases they can reveal a more intimate look at that person. Klein seems geniun when he talks about his lifetime with Elvis in his recollections on Sirius and from this clip. Although he should have left the sleeping with Elvis part out. TMI

I've never bought a tell-all book on Elvis but I my buy this one. :D

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:14 pm

elvisjock wrote:I read about 40% of the book last night (not in order) and so far am pleasantly surprised. He did not simply recycle the same ten stories he tells in Memphis. He is quite critical where Parker is concerned, in contrast to Schilling and Esposito, the other two members of Priscilla's "in crowd." He is more candid about Elvis' decline than I expected him to be.

Then again, the opening scene puts him at Graceland's dining room table, in early 1969, as Elvis meets with Felton, Diskin and Freddie. GK puts it all on the line, telling Elvis why songwriters in that day and age no longer need to give up their publishing, and making the case for recording at American.

I recall reading a very similar story, as told by Marty, where he is the person taking the initiative, and risk, in rocking the boat.

Who to believe?

I think George Klein is lying about talking to Elvis about recording in Memphis, but as usual he takes credit for it.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:26 pm

Believe the person who isn't selling a book about it...LOL :D

Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:29 pm

elvisjock wrote:Who to believe?

Marty Lacker. He knew Chips, worked in the Memphis record industry and had a reputation for speaking his mind.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:43 am

George knew Chips and worked in the Memphis music industry, albeit in a different capacity than Marty.

I tend to believe Marty's version, and I'm sure he'll pop up with a few choice words, before long.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:52 am

George worked in radio, different area entirely.

"The Geeker is in your speaker!"

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:George worked in radio, different area entirely.

No synergy between local radio and local recording studio, back in the 60s? Ya think?

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:35 am

elvisjock wrote:

No synergy between local radio and local recording studio, back in the 60s? Ya think?

Not necessarily! And especially not when compared to Marty Lacker's work in the area.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:

Not necessarily! And especially not when compared to Marty Lacker's work in the area.

You're wrong on this one. Marty was far more involved in the MAKING of music, but George and Chips were friends and collaborators. And, back in those days, jocks programmed their own shows and could make or break a record. George knew a hit when he heard it. That part of the book doesn't raise doubts in my mind.

Back to the original issue, though. If I have to believe only one story, I'll go with Marty. But you've gotta give George his due. He was a major player on the Memphis music scene in the 60s.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:15 am

elvisjock wrote:He was a major player on the Memphis music scene in the 60s.

A MAJOR player? Really?

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

A MAJOR player? Really?

I hate to break it to you, but yes he was. He has a couple of chapters about his career in the book. As I said, the book overall was a pleasant surprise.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:24 am

elvisjock wrote:I hate to break it to you, but yes he was. He has a couple of chapters about his career in the book. As I said, the book overall was a pleasant surprise.

Really?

So why has no one, other than GEORGE KLEIN, ever written that "George Klein was a major player on the Memphis music scene in the 60s"?

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

A MAJOR player? Really?

I hate to break it to you, but yes he was. He has a couple of chapters about his career in the book. As I said, the book overall was a pleasant surprise.

George Klein might be lying about that

He's told so many lies about himself and exaggerated his relationship with Elvis so much it's hard to tell when he actually does tell the truth.

Question does George Klein mention being present at the Elvis-Beatles meeting in his book?

Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:38 am

brian wrote:
elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

A MAJOR player? Really?

George Klein might be lying about that

He's told so many lies about himself and exaggerated his relationship with Elvis so much it's hard to tell when he actually does tell the truth.

Question does George Klein mention being present at the Elvis-Beatles meeting in his book?

I KNOW he can be, and has been, full of crap over the years. But you can't take his well-documented career away from him. He was a top-rated radio jock, and he had a long-running TV show that was something of a local version on 'American Bandstand.' He hasn't done anything of real value in at least the last 30 years. Can we stop going around in circles on this? Doc, go ahead. Have the last word. Be my guest.

Brian, I don't have the book at hand. Would have to go back and check on the Beatles story.

I'll tell you what bugged me the most about his book. He tells the story of how he ultimately went to jail, over falsifying radio ratings. While he admits to doing it, he refers to it as merely questionable ethics. In reality, tampering in any way with Arbitron ratings is a capital offense in radio. Advertising rates are set by those numbers. GK admits that he filled out several blank ratings diaries, justifying it by saying that the listening public would have written in "WHBQ" anyway.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:04 am

elvisjock wrote:Can we stop going around in circles on this? Doc, go ahead. Have the last word. Be my guest.

It's not about one-upmanship, it's about the facts.

Please show me where it is documented -- by someone other than George Klein -- that George Klein was a MAJOR player.

I am not arguing he had a successful local radio gig, but thousands of DJs across the U.S. have had the same. The only difference was they didn't go to high school with Elvis Presley, or create and maintain a friendship with the singer after graduation.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:29 pm

I'll leave it others to debate Klein's credentials, but the argument over who was responsible for steering Elvis to American, Klein or Lacker, is similar to the "Who Really Discovered Elvis?" question. Was it Sam Phillips or Marian Keisker?

To Doc's question about who, other that GK, toots GK's horn, consider the following:

Chips Moman: Marty was working for American Sound at the time, and George Klein and I - we had been talking about "When's Elvis gonna get some good songs, man? When's he gonna quit cuttin' that crap? 'Elvis Up Close' - Clayton/Heard 1994

Marty: We used to sit (in the den) and watch TV. One night Elvis was there and Klein was there and Felton Jarvis. Felton said, "Well, OK, the sessions will start Monday." Elvis and Felton were talking about going back to Nashville to record, and it was just pissing me off. I said, "I just wish you would try Chips's musicians just once. (Marty goes on to say that around this time, the maid announced that dinner would be served. In this account, he says "Normally I would be the first one at the table, but I just sat there.") They all got up and said, 'Come on, let's go eat.' I said, 'No, I ain't hungry.' Elvis looked at me and turned around and went into the dining room. I sat there and was just cussing under my breath. Felton comes out about five minutes later, and said, 'Elvis wants to talk to you. He wants to cut in Memphis!'" 'Elvis Up Close' - Clayton/Heard 1994

Marty: About that time, the maids told us dinner was ready. I had eaten before coming to Graceland, so I stayed in the den while the others went into the dining room. They were gone only a few minutes before Felton came back and said, "Elvis wants to record in Memphis." 'Portrait of a Friend' - Lacker/Lacker/Smith 1979

Klein: 'It would be a dream come true for the guys at American if you'd record over there. With some great songs to work with, I know you'd have some hit records, Elvis. It's what you deserve.' It was awful quiet around that table. He turned to me, looked at me hard, and pointed an index finger right at me. 'GK's right,' he said. Marty Lacker, another Memphis Mafia member, was in the den, and he was equally excited by the news. He'd done some work for American Studios and also thought it would be a perfect spot for Elvis. Elvis: My Best Man, Klein/Crisafulli 2010

Guralnick: Presley's friends, Marty Lacker (and) George Klein, convinced the singer...so 'subtly' that he finally 'came up with the idea himself. Careless Love (quoting Variety, 6/18/69)

Guralnick: Felton came over from Nashville to talk about the session while some of the guys were at the house. Marty Lacker had just started work at American. George Klein, too, had American connections (the studio's principal owner, Chips Moman, had produced some sides for a small label George had recently started up with a partner). Careless Love - p. 326

Guralnick/Jorgensen: At the prompting of George Klein and Marty Lacker, the idea of recording at American Studio is considered. Not only do Klein and Lacker have connections at American , Red West has written and recorded there as well. Elvis Day By Day - p. 253

Marty: George knew alot of artists through this TV show he had. So Klein immediately got on the phone and called Neil Diamond. That's how Elvis got 'And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind.' EAP Revelations, Nash/Smith/Lacker/Fike, 1995

Marty: George is one of the nicest men I've ever met. I have never heard anyone say anything bad about him. George went into radio and became a program director and one of Memphis' most popular disc jockeys. He remained close to Elvis until the end. 'Portrait of A Friend', Lacker/Lacker/Smith, 1979.

Marty: George and I were like intertwined fingers for twenty-five years until he did something that really hurt me. The falling-out was over a book I wrote, in '79. It didn't say much of anything. But my wife wrote some things George didn't like. Revelations, 1995.

Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Who to believe?

Marty Lacker. He knew Chips, worked in the Memphis record industry and had a reputation for speaking his mind.

Believe Marty Lacker? I'm still waiting for him to tell about his pill addiction and being a witness in the trial against Doctor Nichopoulos :smt001 .