Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: FTD "A Minnesota Moment" to be released February 15th

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:10 am

Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:High five, Jock! It's good to know that I am not the only one who stands up for Sherrill.

I can listen to Sherrill sing "Danny Boy" and "Walk With Me" (especially the latter) all day long. It's "O Sole Mio" that I have a hard time getting through. Especially the shows when Elvis makes him do it twice.

That's asking a little much.

Agreed. I can't stand O Sole Mio. Guercio's horns are even worse.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 am

I just pre-ordered it from Now Dig This. It won't be long now!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:02 am

I pay no heed to reviews. I get every release and judge for myself. Some I play often, some seldom.
I'd rather hear a bad Elvis Presley show than to have never heard it at all.

But, hey -- that's just the way I am.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:08 am

elvisjock wrote:
Rob wrote:
Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:High five, Jock! It's good to know that I am not the only one who stands up for Sherrill.

I can listen to Sherrill sing "Danny Boy" and "Walk With Me" (especially the latter) all day long. It's "O Sole Mio" that I have a hard time getting through. Especially the shows when Elvis makes him do it twice.

That's asking a little much.

Agreed. I can't stand O Sole Mio. Guercio's horns are even worse.

Nielsen's O Sole Mio is pure torture.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:49 am

There's not much to recommend New Haven, but I still am glad to own America. it's not that bad a 1976 concert and the mix is what it is. I supported this release in the America thread so I won't rehash here.

Of course, I would welcome some releases from earlier years now, so bring them on.

Steve Lecher

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:00 am

Rob wrote:I pay no heed to reviews. I get every release and judge for myself. Some I play often, some seldom.
I'd rather hear a bad Elvis Presley show than to have never heard it at all.

But, hey -- that's just the way I am.

Agree Rob and certainly its CERTAIN Minnesota won't be a 'bad show' and the audience was LARGE for this show as well! :)

Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:46 am

midnightx wrote:Nielsen's O Sole Mio is pure torture.

Elvis liked it.

Or did he really like torturing his audience? Presley was kind of a funny guy.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:11 am

I think after Elvis experimented in Dec 75' with singing Italian/Its Now or Never -he felt more comfortable having a bit of 'light relief' watching sherril do his bit-certainly its a combination i can 'enjoy' rather than not enjoy. :)

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:Nielsen's O Sole Mio is pure torture.

Elvis liked it.

Or did he really like torturing his audience? Presley was kind of a funny guy.

Let's just say that his taste was not infallible. Actually, Nielsen's O Sole Mio strikes me as more tolerable than his other performances. I would certainly rather hear it than "Softly As I Leave You," a song whose appeal to Elvis still remains mysterious. Perhaps I need to listen to Charles Boyer's version to understand.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 am

Elvis liked to showcase his musicians and he was proud to have "discovered" the group Voice including Sherril. Elvis named the group “Voice” after a Christian periodical that he had read. So pride was one factor. Another one was the fact Elvis liked really big and full "arena-filling" voices, whether very high (Sherril Nielsen) or very low (J.D. Sumner), singers who could do what he felt he couldn't do himself. One thing was for sure. No back-up singer Elvis ever worked with could ever threaten to upstage Presley, because great technical skill basically isn't what it is all about.

Judging from the gospel footage in "Elvis On Tour", EP literally got goosebumps when listening to some of his back-up singers. He genuinely liked them.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:41 am

James27 wrote:Elvis liked to showcase his musicians and he was proud to have "discovered" the group Voice including Sherril. Elvis named the group “Voice” after a Christian periodical that he had read.

You have several facts wrong.

Elvis didn't "discover" Sherrill Nielsen -- he was a long-standing gospel tenor. He first worked with Elvis in 1966 as a member of the Imperials, when that quartet worked with Presley in Nashville on the "How Great Thou Art" sessions. In 1973, Elvis called upon Nielsen's group, the Rangers, to come to Las Vegas to audition for Tom Jones. Instead, they ended up signing an independent contract with Elvis to sing with him on stage or at home, do songwriting and participate in studio work.

The group name "Voice" did not originate from a Christian periodical. Elvis took it from "The New Age Voice" magazine, founded and edited by Larry Geller, friend and sometimes spiritual guru. It offered a variety of philosophical and spiritual writings that Elvis loved. Farewell, Rangers ... hello Voice!

Most felt it was not the greatest musical move in Elvis' later period, for a number of valid reasons.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 am

James can't be dead on all the time. :lol:

I seem to recall that Elvis spotlights Sherrill as a sort of compare and contrast / buy some time / and as semi-comic relief. It's a type of voice respected (like opera) but not truly liked so much by an Elvis crowd. So when he finally comes in, it's as if the voice of God says," nice try, son, now sit down and watch a man sing it with some real country soul."

I found myself actually enjoying Sherril on "Bringing It Back" (with Elvis chiming in softly) and "Aubrey" - as heard on FTD's recent "From Sunset to Las Vegas" from '74. It's not often but I actually enjoyed it as a bonus to the main program.

Rob is right: Memphis Fan is missing the boat on NEW HAVEN. Got it this week.....I"m....glad to have it. It's easy to become jaded but I still say it's a treat that the RCA vaults are open. I agree with Rob's credo and will even say that I'm willing to support so-so releases (and I always find something of merit as he hasn't recorded lately) if it helps the FTD project.

It's sort of like committing to be a subscriber or a member. I want FTD to succeed and I have bought into the enterprise. To get into this tearing apart of some titles or hemming and hawwing about whether you "need it" (none of us ever do in a rational sense) is to just kid yourself out of a fun hobby.

Budget concerns are the only good reason and I understand that a lot of the '76 titles are a chance to sock away your funds for something else.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:03 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
Budget concerns are the only good reason and I understand that a lot of the '76 titles are a chance to sock away your funds for something else.

C'mon Greg, How can you be so optimistic about this when elvisallc constantly reminds everyone every half hour that the "Viva Elvis" show is selling tickets out of style and at more than $100 a pop ?

Keep wishing, Sheesh ...

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:04 am

minkahed wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:

C'mon Greg, How can you be so optimistic about this when elvisallc constantly reminds everyone every half hour that the "Viva Elvis" show is selling tickets out of style and at more than $100 a pop ?

Keep wishing, Sheesh ...

Careful, you may be accused by elvisallc of derailing the thread....

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:05 am

Mink', you mean as soon as we talk ourselves out of titles like "Unchained Melody," "Live in LA" or "New Haven" (etc.), the overwhelming appeal of Elvis on Broadway (okay, Vegas) will make us spend down our "savings"?

Yeah, you're right. That rainy day fund is going to be spent fast.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:56 am

"O Sole Mio" is not one of Sherrill's brightest moments. It's way over the top, boy. The main reason I'm defending him is "Soflty As I Leave You".

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:54 pm

And I have to be in the mood for that one...!

I recall from years back that on the ELVIS IN CONCERT LP, Elvis seems a bit bemused by the caterwauling of Nielsen and a few other times on other shows. We know he's getting a rest, too, but it strikes me that it's a "bad cop, good cop" routine.

Guess who's the bad cop.

"Make it stop...the torture...! " :lol:

(Don't you miss the '70s?)

Seriously, I admit to liking a bit of his "Killing Me Softly WIth Her Song" (?) on a few shows, as I recall the song and wish Elvis had done it. On that infamous '77 Baltimore, Maryland show (the aptly titled "Send me the Light...I Need It Bad.."), Sherrill does this and others to buy time as E collects himself off-stage.

On one hand, you're cringing along with the crowd (when will the guy I paid for come back on stage and leave this tenor to background?") and on the other hand, you have to admire the "show must go on" spirit and also Nielsen's lonely task of employing his rather hard-to-love tenor to subdue a crowd of people who came to see the King of Rock'n' Roll.

When he finally return after 30 minutes (singing the words "Hail, Hail Rock'n'Roll!"), it's pure pandimonium, almost as if he (literally) got up off the floor to battle another round. It's one of the better (if sad) moments of late-period Elvis, fight hard to stay in the game.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:"O Sole Mio" is not one of Sherrill's brightest moments. It's way over the top, boy.

Is it supposed to be sung any other way? Elvis's translated reworking has grace, but the original is for belters.

The main reason I'm defending him is "Soflty As I Leave You".

Which I personally find way over the top in its simpering pretend-air of sincerity.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:02 pm

This is a must have concert on cd for me for one reason: My parents went and saw this very concert givin by Elvis and my dad has said that Elvis gave a top notch performance. Elvis I believe came to perform in Minnesota, my home state, in 71 and also in 77. The 77 show was in Duluth Minnesota and everytime he was here the fans flocked in to see him. My dad even said that while he was here in 76 Elvis stayed at the Raddison Hotel in Saint Paul and had a limo go pick up 200 White Castle Hamburgers for him and his entourage!!! So I want to thank FTD for releasing this show and I hope the sound quality is very good because I will be ordering this ASAP!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:32 pm

That's great Steve1971.

Elvis played some other times also in Minnesota

Nov 5, 1971 Minneapolis
October 2-3, 1974 St Paul
October 16, 1976 Duluth
October 17, 1976 Minneapolis
April 29, 1977 Duluth
April 30, 1977 St. Paul

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:38 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I recall from years back that on the ELVIS IN CONCERT LP, Elvis seems a bit bemused by the caterwauling of Nielsen and a few other times on other shows. We know he's getting a rest, too, but it strikes me that it's a "bad cop, good cop" routine.

Guess who's the bad cop.

"Make it stop...the torture...!
" :lol:

:D :D :D

Keith RIchards, Jr.

Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Steve1971 wrote:my dad has said that Elvis gave a top notch performance.

Let's hope the soundboardtape reflects some of the spark generated by Elvis..
As excited it may have been, all crowd noise and Elvis voice through a massive soundsystem usually turns into a lifeless, flat and unbalanced sounding event..

Remember, Bruce jackson is holding back for a reason.

As we already have three soundboard tapes or so from this tour, we know what to expect.
Soundwise however, it will be great..... for a non professional recording!
And poor compared to multitrack stuff...

But I'm in!

Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Revelator wrote:
Which I personally find way over the top in its simpering pretend-air of sincerity.

"Simpering"! That's the word I was looking for. It applies to most of the "body of work" of Shaun Nielsen but think occasionally he hit the spot . The fact that he kept that show going in Baltimore shows deserves a nod. No one should have to stand in for the King of Rock'n'Roll at his own gig.

Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 pm

Ernst, excellent choice..unreleased in any form before..

Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 am

norrie wrote:
Elvis Presley, "the Big One," as he has come to be called

The Big One ? Really ?Was this just in Minnesota or is this guy trying to make up
a new nickname

Never heard of it before either,...and in his condition THEN such a nick would be dangerously inviting sarcasm?! Branding him as Big? Yeah, if he got back in 1970 shape, that would be ok...

Johanesson wrote:
Floyd wrote:was Elvis in a better mood in October 76 ?

Only 5 days after the telephone conversation with Red West about the upcoming "What Happened" book he was sure in very good mood in Minnesota :smt003 :smt003 :smt003

I guess someone can have a bright-spirited evening now and then, in between an otherwise bad situation. Perhaps he just forgot the book while on stage..?