Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
drjohncarpenter
Registered for: 21 years

Robert Hilburn --> 'Elvis 75' Showcases King's Artistry

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Long-time great Los Angeles critic Robert Hilburn reviews the new Presley box set:

BACKTRACKING

A King and his court of songs

Lesser-known songs are mixed with chart hits, displaying the depth and range of Elvis Presley’s musical vision.

-----

Robert Hilburn

-----

Elvis Presley
“Elvis 75: Good Rockin’ Tonight”
RCA/Legacy

-----

The easiest way to have put together the new Elvis Presley CD anniversary package would have been to simply fill the four discs with the rock icon's 104 Top 40 singles.

But RCA/Legacy has given us something far more valuable in the boxed set, which is designed to commemorate what would have been Presley's 75th birthday on Jan. 8.

"Elvis 75: Good Rockin' Tonight" ignores half of the hits to make room for selections that document the best of Presley, including the pre-"Heartbreak Hotel" tracks that largely defined rock 'n' roll in the 1950s.

The result is the most comprehensive look ever at Presley's artistry, as opposed to just his fame.

In outlining their goals for "Elvis 75," producer Ernst Jorgensen and art director Roger Semon declare in the set's preface that while the chart hits are of crucial importance, only "when heard in the context of some of the lesser-known artistic achievements can they present a complete picture of an artist with a repertoire so vast that he released 711 master recordings during his lifetime."

The set, which is due out Tuesday, lives up to those goals, showcasing the depth and range of Presley's musical vision -- his feel for rock's country, blues and gospel roots and his prowess with high-energy rock and revealing ballads.

Here are the 13 tracks from the boxed set that best illustrate Presley's artistic progression.

"That's All Right" 

(Recorded in 1954 in Memphis) This is the moment when Presley, working with Sun Records producer Sam Phillips, defined rock 'n' roll: both its sound and youthful attitude. Checking in at just under two minutes, it is as revolutionary a slice of music as Bob Dylan's "The Times They Are A-Changin'."

"Baby, Let's Play House" 

(1955, Memphis) Presley ups the ante here, revising the words of a minor R&B hit by Arthur Gunter and increasing greatly the passion to better express the sexual pulse and youthful insistence that would be crucial, early building blocks for rock.

"Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" 

(1956, New York) These tracks were released as the A and B sides of a single and both went to No. 1. In "Hound Dog," Presley showed how the energy and grit of rock 'n' roll could connect with a mass audience. On the flip side, he demonstrated how he could be playful and charming without losing his edge.

"One Night" 

(1957, Hollywood) Presley reached back to his Memphis roots for the sexual tension and energy in this reworking of a Smiley Lewis R&B hit. He changed Lewis' lyrics from "one night of sin / is what I'm now paying for" to "one night with you / is what I'm now praying for," but the vocal remained as steamy and urgent as country and blues could get.

"Blue Christmas" 

(1957, Hollywood) Ernest Tubb had a country hit with this song in 1948, but Presley's interpretation brought a whole new dimension to it as he used the sentimental currents of the Christmas tale to amplify the heartache in the lyrics. Key line, "You'll be doing all right with your Christmas of white / But I'll have a blue Christmas."

"How Great Thou Art" 

(1966, Nashville) Gospel was Presley's first love and this might be his most captivating vocal ever -- a declaration of faith that is chilling.

"If I Can Dream"
(1968, Hollywood) A rare step into social commentary that was a sign of daring and maturity.

"Suspicious Minds" 

(1969, Memphis) Presley seems to be trying to exorcise the memory of all those heartless movie tunes in a single, explosive moment.

"Stranger in My Own Home Town" 

(1969, Memphis) Recorded just a month after "Suspicious Minds," this track finds Presley still celebrating his musical rebirth as he turns this bluesy Percy Mayfield tune into a personal statement about his struggle to regain his musical and personal identity.

"An American Trilogy" 

(1972, Las Vegas) In tackling Mickey Newbury's inspired linking of three 19th century tunes, including "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "Dixie," Presley again steps into new territory as he celebrates the healing of a once-divided land.

"Burning Love" 

(1972, Hollywood) Almost 20 years after "That's All Right," Presley proved he could still convey the initial energy and innocence of rock as well as anyone who followed him.

"Always on My Mind"

(1972, Hollywood) The song was written by Wayne Carson, Johnny Christopher and Mark James, but Presley gives it such a heartfelt vocal, turning it into a personal message to his ex-wife, Priscilla.

Backtracking is a monthly feature highlighting CD reissues and other pop items of historical interest.

Los Angeles Times - Sunday, December 6, 2009
https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/193923477/
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Re: Robert Hilburn --> 'Elvis 75' Showcases King's Artistry

Post by George Smith »

Nice post, Doc, thanks.

I'm particularly impressed by the mention of the words "Elvis Presley" and "musical vision" in the same sentence: thank you, Mr Hilburn.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

George Smith wrote:Nice post, Doc, thanks.

I'm particularly impressed by the mention of the words "Elvis Presley" and "musical vision" in the same sentence: thank you, Mr Hilburn.
Hilburn is quite correct, too.

Appreciate the kind words.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisallc
Registered for: 16 years 3 months

Post by elvisallc »

This set would have been much more appealing to all including the general public had they left off the hits that were already on the two best selling cds for Elvis this century (30#1 Hits and 2nd To None).

RonBaker2003

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Just imagine a 75th anniversary career retrospective with no hits...would have been a big seller!

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Exactly. The producers concept of the box set is clearly outlined in Hilburn's article -- some must have missed this.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

elvisallc

Post by elvisallc »

RonBaker2003 wrote:Just imagine a 75th anniversary career retrospective with no hits...would have been a big seller!
That's what I'm talking about! :D

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by Rocker »

Thanks Doc. I always like a serious discussion about Presley's work. After all, it's just the music that counts, and just the music.

Well, hello there....

Little Darlin
Registered for: 16 years 11 months
Location: Being Entertained By Grammy Nominated Artist Adam Lambert.

Post by Little Darlin »

Rocker wrote:Thanks Doc. I always like a serious discussion about Presley's work. After all, it's just the music that counts, and just the music.
You may enjoy this thread then!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49639

I saw Elvis live in concert the year before he died. Even then, he was bigger than life, and had amazing charisma. Haven't seen anything like it since, ....until Adam.........Nocturnal 2010
No matter how old you are, no matter who you sleep with, no matter what color your skin is, we can all party together.” - Adam Lambert 2010

Rocker
Registered for: 15 years 11 months

Post by Rocker »

Little Darlin wrote:
Rocker wrote:Thanks Doc. I always like a serious discussion about Presley's work. After all, it's just the music that counts, and just the music.
You may enjoy this thread then!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49639

Thanks !

Well, hello there....

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

Rocker wrote:Thanks Doc. I always like a serious discussion about Presley's work.
You're welcome. That is always one of my goals, too.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

norrie
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by norrie »

Music journalism of the highest class.

norrie

scottngeorgia

Post by scottngeorgia »

I love the set but still can't figure out how Adam and Evil got included on this set.
SNG ::rocks

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

RonBaker2003

Post by RonBaker2003 »

Give the "Spinout" album a spin...revisit the songs...you may be surprised at how good they actually are.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

RonBaker2003 wrote:Give the "Spinout" album a spin...revisit the songs...you may be surprised at how good they actually are.
Ron, they are pretty awful. They're just less awful than the total disaster that was the previous year.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

RonBaker2003

Post by RonBaker2003 »

There are a couple really bad clunkers on it: Beach Shack and Smorgasbord, but overall...I think it's a pretty decent album. Is it the first album that James Burton played guitar for Elvis on...or is wikipedia wrong about personnel?

Just checked the Masters & Sessions...no James Burton listed...looks like wikipedia is wrong there. He isn't even on "Down in the Alley", "I'll Remember You", or "Tomorrow Is a Long Time"

scottngeorgia

Post by scottngeorgia »

RonBaker2003 wrote:There are a couple really bad clunkers on it: Beach Shack and Smorgasbord, but overall...I think it's a pretty decent album. Is it the first album that James Burton played guitar for Elvis on...or is wikipedia wrong about personnel?

Just checked the Masters & Sessions...no James Burton listed...looks like wikipedia is wrong there. He isn't even on "Down in the Alley", "I'll Remember You", or "Tomorrow Is a Long Time"
Down in the alley , i'll remember you would have been a better fit than adam and evil LOL. but hey really its okay thats why CD players have skip buttons !

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

elvisallc wrote:This set would have been much more appealing to all including the general publichad they left off the hits that were already on the two best selling cds for Elvis this century (30#1 Hits and 2nd To None).
Huh? The general public would probably look the other way if significant chunks of Presley gold were missing from this compilation.

scottngeorgia

Post by scottngeorgia »

midnightx wrote:
elvisallc wrote:This set would have been much more appealing to all including the general publichad they left off the hits that were already on the two best selling cds for Elvis this century (30#1 Hits and 2nd To None).
Huh? The general public would probably look the other way if significant chunks of Presley gold were missing from this compilation.
Maybe he's disapointed that they didnt have 100 or the equivolent to adam and evil represented on the set. Midnight x i know you probably disagree but my boy would have been a better selection? right. ok let look at some mid 60's songs that could have replaced it?

midnightx
Registered for: 20 years 5 months

Post by midnightx »

scottngeorgia wrote:
midnightx wrote:
Maybe he's disapointed that they didnt have 100 or the equivolent to adam and evil represented on the set. Midnight x i know you probably disagree but my boy would have been a better selection? right. ok let look at some mid 60's songs that could have replaced it?
This box really would have taken off with two discs of movie soundtrack tunes and obscure studio milestones from the 70s such as This Is Our Dance, Life, and The Last Farewell. A real missed opportunity. Seriously, what casual fan or general public consumer wants Heartbreak Hotel and Suspicious Minds in the best possible quality and presentation? What was Ernst thinking?

jbnva58

Post by jbnva58 »

Thanks Doc.
Ive always respected Hilburn,who tells it like he sees it.As I recall,a negative review by Mr. H put him on Elvis sh*tlist.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

RonBaker2003 wrote:There are a couple really bad clunkers on it: Beach Shack and Smorgasbord, but overall...I think it's a pretty decent album.

Agreed.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley

likethebike
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by likethebike »

Thanks for posting this Dr. I was unaware that Hilburn was still writing. I heard some vague rumblings that he lost his post to make way for a younger writer. He's always been a strong advocate of Elvis' artistry. Some of the stuff he wrote in the late 1960s and 1970s was powerful enough that Elvis himself even took notice and even allowed Hilburn to visit on occasion. Sadly, when Hilburn offered some negative, albeit in context constructive, crticism, he reportedly fell out of Elvis' good graces. Of course, a solid critic has to maintain some distance from his subjects. But he was definitely one of the first people who really got Elvis in the mainstream media.

As for the deficiencies/strengths of the set, compiling a boxed set is a dicey business. Presumably, such a set is too expensive for a truly casual fan who just wants the hits, even for someone with as many hits as Elvis. Maybe a two CD $20 job would work for someone with that taste or E1. The super diehard fans, like us on the board, have most or all of the stuff. Sets like these aim at kind of a middle audience. The potential purchasers for the set may already have 30 #1 Hits and The Sun Sessions. That would make this a better purchase for them as they would be getting lots of new stuff and highlights off albums they may never buy like "Bossa Nova Baby" from Fun in Acapulco and highlights that might miss other comps like "Stranger in My Own Home Town." There is also the one stop shopping Elvis fan. They want all the good stuff Elvis did on one place. To them, the absence of "The Wonder of You" would be problematic. However, they're kind of a delusional fan and it is impossible to please all of them. One career spanning box is as good as another.

I agree with those who believe Spinout is a very solid album. "Stop, Look and Listen" is positively torrid.

Topic author
drjohncarpenter

RonBaker2003 wrote:There are a couple really bad clunkers on it: Beach Shack and Smorgasbord, but overall...I think it's a pretty decent album. Is it the first album that James Burton played guitar for Elvis on...or is wikipedia wrong about personnel?
Pretty decent compared to what? A nine song soundtrack whose leadoff track is a tepid Ricky Nelson retread is doomed from the start. None of the songs have any merit.

Despite the trio of quality bonus studio cuts buried on side two, the release of Spinout in October 1966 signaled to most that Elvis had undeniably lost the plot. In a year of Revolver, Aftermath, Blonde On Blonde and Pet Sounds, the guy who inspired them all had vanished. The British Invasion obviously meant nothing.

James Burton's first full studio work for Elvis was at the June 1970 sessions in Nashville.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.

Frankie Teardrop
Registered for: 14 years 4 months

Post by Frankie Teardrop »

drjohncarpenter wrote: None of the songs have any merit.
WHAT????!!!!!! My lord. Never have I disagreed with ya so strongly, Doc.

"Computers may outthink us one day, but as long as people got feelings, we'll be better than they are"
- Quote sometimes attributed to Elvis Presley