Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Question regarding Madison Square Garden 1972 footage

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Hi Guys

a little while ago maybe 1 year or so there was a clip put on you tube and what it showed was Elvis playing madison square garden 1972 the full show put together in a time lapse video showing the start of the show right up until Elvis leaves the stage.

I was just wondering if any other fans seen this ? and where is this footage now ? who owns the footage as i believe all of them shows at the garden were filmed with a professional film camera.

Anyone got any input ???

Re: Question regarding Madison Square Garden 1972 footage

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:21 pm

Could you mean this one:

This video clip, just for Elvis Insiders, features rare footage that was captured by an NBC camera crew that was filming Elvis' concert at Madison Square Garden on June 9, 1972. The footage was found recently by Graceland archivists as part of their ongoing cataloging and archiving efforts. Previous to this night, the only times Elvis had ever performed in New York City had been on stage for the Dorsey Brothers, Steve Allen and Ed Sullivan television shows.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:04 am

yeah maybe but it wasn't just a few mins or songs it was the complete show.

It was shot from the front of stage at the back.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:07 am

I think the footage you are talking about is a piece of footage by film maker Jonas Mekas. Jonas Mekas who specializes in, and is known as "the father", of the Avant Garde style of film making left what he shot unused in film form, to the best of my knowledge, until 2006 when he was asked to prepare a short film involving the music of Mozart, for which he won an award, for the Vienna film festival that year. He chose to combine Elvis and Mozart and in my opinion the result is stunning and has to be seen to be completely understood as Jonas increases the speed of the film whilst merging it with other shots in his unique style. I think this is what you saw, perhaps without audio, perhaps even slowed down a little or with MSG audio added as I know a couple of different versions were edited by fans from the original clip that was released.
Since the festival Mekas used stills from his film of Elvis to present in the Maya Stendhal Gallery in New York. See pictures below. What we have available is a few short minutes of the show heavily edited and sped up to create the effect he wanted. It is likely that the whole film is longer than that which has been released because of the scope of the show recorded, right from beginning to end. Of course this is uncertain but it seems reasonable to think that more was shot than made the final edit. This footage was shot on 16mm film. [/size]

Not only did he exhibit stills from the film in New York, he also featured them in a project called "The 16mm series" in Tokyo. You can see a picture of this below:

Take a look at this shot of the footage itself. My source of this film is reasonable quality yet unfortunately I is not in the same league as the master shots of which you can see underneath that.

As you can see, the quality is excellent on the second image, due to the fact that it is from the first generation source. The runtime of the film that has been released is 3 minutes.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:33 am

omnipresence

thanks for your time in getting back to me with regards to my post.

Your right this is the footage i'm talking about all i can say is wow.

I wonder if he has spoken to E.P.E about selling this footage.

The quality is very nice.

I have always wondered myself if any footage was shot from the Elvis On Tour Film crew as they were there for the press conference i couldn't imagine them winding up filming then and there.

I would love to know how he got the access to film the shows in the first place ?

Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XS9I-i1vZw

Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 am

I think there is alot more of this show filmed in this quailty than known. I have a feeling something suprising is going to happen soon.

Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:25 pm

musicfan56 wrote:Pity Parker didn't have the MSG shows taped and aired as some sort of special.

Actually MGM wanted shoot in Madison Square Garden, but the owners of that venue required too much money from MGM to do that.