Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

2010-Year Of The King

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Lately I've seen more news articles and media coverage of Elvis than I have seen in a long, long time. Now with 2010 just two weeks away it's already being dubbed the year of the King in celebrating his 75th birthday all year long! Here's a list of what's coming in 2010 that's Elvis-related:

- Graceland: Elvis' 75th Birthday Celebration (with mass media coverage)
- Elvis Museum Exhibit in Washington DC
- Elvis At 21 traveling exhibit at LA Live's GRAMMY Museum in Los Angeles
- Elvis movie marathon on TCM
- Viva ELVIS
- Another Elvis-themed Cirque Du Soleil traveling show in Europe will be unveiled
- Premier of IF I CAN DREAM, the Elvis-inspired reality tv show on FOX
- Release of Viva ELVIS soundtrack (expected massive promotion)

Feel free to add any new updates of projects as they come in.

Re: 2010-Year Of The King

Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:57 pm

He will always be the king
no matter what

Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:33 pm

Also, Sillerman is planning some major announcements in the coming months. Possibly about the long awaited plans for Graceland during Elvis' birthday celebration week.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:29 am

I hope we hear more of what's to happen with renovations in the Graceland area. It's been pretty quiet about this.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:22 pm

- Graceland: Elvis' 75th Birthday Celebration (with mass media coverage), ------------------------------What else can they show……….we have seen most highlights already !!!!
- Elvis Museum Exhibit in Washington DC -----------------------Mostly pics and stuff missing in Memphis and of course the photo's again with nixon…… Release the security footage … thats something !!!!!!
- Elvis At 21 traveling exhibit at LA Live's GRAMMY Museum in Los Angeles --------------------------------Wertheimers photo's extra large…Just a enlarged version of the already great book from 2009
- Elvis movie marathon on TCM ------------------------------They same films they always show through the year but now in massive blocks…………. BLOOPERS OR RARE OUT TAKES PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
- Viva ELVIS---------------------- Elvis hated musicals and to be honest they are lame, mostly with people who don't even know jack%^t about Elvis
- Another Elvis-themed Cirque Du Soleil traveling show in Europe will be unveiled----------------High quality circus which has nothing to do with Elvis other than the music
- Premier of IF I CAN DREAM, the Elvis-inspired reality tv show on FOX -----------Only thing related to this reality show is the Title of a 1968 song well thats' Elvis, right ?
- Release of Viva ELVIS soundtrack (expected massive promotion)--------------- nice way to sell a compilation cd, number how many---------------------------------

Basically NOTHING SPECIAL.
If I read it back, its all rattling with coins.
If they really want to do something special combine it with some unreleased stuff for the loyal fans
A special set of On tour with outtakes, spent the extra dollar to release it.
A Museum tour through Europe and Asia for the ones who can't travel to Memphis.
Show new interviews, from People who worked with him , artists etc, appreciation from colloquies
Dig in the TV station archives and make a unique dvd.
In Japan they have filmed 2 shows in 72 . remaster it and release it
Remix the best selling albums and release it on a large scale, make the younger generation aware, Elvis can sound timeless….
Show respect towards Elvis and honor his achievements.

Now it looks like a very big circus at hand.
In our country the Queen gives knighthoods to special achievements.
What about the highest honor from the President……Thats something Elvis would have liked……..!

Anyone who falls for this stuff isn't an Elvis fan but a circus fan, Even better, You like Parker more than Elvis.

IMO

Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:08 pm

Hé, Thekingstillrocks...what is that about this "In Japan they have filmed 2 shows in 72 . remaster it and release it". It doesn't ring a bell, but it sounds interesting!

Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:51 pm

Thekingstillrocks wrote:- Graceland: Elvis' 75th Birthday Celebration (with mass media coverage), ------------------------------What else can they show……….we have seen most highlights already !!!!
- Elvis Museum Exhibit in Washington DC -----------------------Mostly pics and stuff missing in Memphis and of course the photo's again with nixon…… Release the security footage … thats something !!!!!!
- Elvis At 21 traveling exhibit at LA Live's GRAMMY Museum in Los Angeles --------------------------------Wertheimers photo's extra large…Just a enlarged version of the already great book from 2009
- Elvis movie marathon on TCM ------------------------------They same films they always show through the year but now in massive blocks…………. BLOOPERS OR RARE OUT TAKES PLEASE !!!!!!!!!
- Viva ELVIS---------------------- Elvis hated musicals and to be honest they are lame, mostly with people who don't even know jack%^t about Elvis
- Another Elvis-themed Cirque Du Soleil traveling show in Europe will be unveiled----------------High quality circus which has nothing to do with Elvis other than the music
- Premier of IF I CAN DREAM, the Elvis-inspired reality tv show on FOX -----------Only thing related to this reality show is the Title of a 1968 song well thats' Elvis, right ?
- Release of Viva ELVIS soundtrack (expected massive promotion)--------------- nice way to sell a compilation cd, number how many---------------------------------

Basically NOTHING SPECIAL.
If I read it back, its all rattling with coins.
If they really want to do something special combine it with some unreleased stuff for the loyal fans
A special set of On tour with outtakes, spent the extra dollar to release it.
A Museum tour through Europe and Asia for the ones who can't travel to Memphis.
Show new interviews, from People who worked with him , artists etc, appreciation from colloquies
Dig in the TV station archives and make a unique dvd.
In Japan they have filmed 2 shows in 72 . remaster it and release it
Remix the best selling albums and release it on a large scale, make the younger generation aware, Elvis can sound timeless….
Show respect towards Elvis and honor his achievements.

Now it looks like a very big circus at hand.
In our country the Queen gives knighthoods to special achievements.
What about the highest honor from the President……Thats something Elvis would have liked……..!

Anyone who falls for this stuff isn't an Elvis fan but a circus fan, Even better, You like Parker more than Elvis.

IMO

This whole quote is what's wrong with the fanbase today. Greed and selfishness and unappreciative.

Name another dead celebrity that will be getting this much attention throughout the entire year for his 75th birthday? Don't even try because there isn't one. Not even Jackson can garner this type of following and mass media coverage. He only had it for a short while because he died. Whereas Elvis has had it since he died and that was almost 33 years ago!

Bottom line is that things like VE and the GRAMMY exhibit are not for the hardcore fans of yesteryear. They're for the new generation of fans and non fans to learn and discover Elvis. Just as The Beatles are today. Most of their fans today aren't hippies or even from their period. It's a new generation like myself discovering their work.

Do you really think Sillerman would spend millions overhauling Graceland or building hi-tech Elvis Experiences around the world for aging grandmas and grandpas who probably won't be around another 10-20 years? I think not. It's all for MY generation and generations to come to keep him relevant or in the public eye.

And that's NOT my opinion either.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:28 pm

Randall wrote:I hope we hear more of what's to happen with renovations in the Graceland area. It's been pretty quiet about this.

I have a strong feeling that we'll hear something more concrete this year about the overhaul of Graceland. CKX said about a month ago that there's some big project announcements coming in 2010. I would assume that Graceland is one of them.

The latest as of a couple of weeks ago is that Sillerman has pulled all his resources away from Vegas and is putting all of his attention on the Graceland area.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Nothing intresting here,i`m waiting for the footage from richmond april 1972 which will be released hopefully by the fall of 2010 or early 2011! Now thats exciting news! I heard elvis gives a great version of a rare "it`s over" from this show!

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:10 pm

With the CD market drying up and downloads in the ascendancy there is no future in Sony releasing 'Greatest Hits' packages unless remixed to today's standards. Modern technology has signalled the end of such traditional releases. The obvious way to go for making money is through 'live' shows of the type of 'Elvis In Concert' and 'Viva Elvis'. A laser 'Elvis In Concert' would be the logical development for the current touring show with younger musicians/singers providing the backing. In this way, 'Elvis' could perform from all eras of his career. It would also be an interesting concept for a video concert production along the lines of the recent BBC TV advertisement where Elvis sings and introduces other musicians'/singers as they back him.

Other ideas that are or could be developed:

(1) An IMAX production of the 1968 TV Special

(2) Interactive Elvis Museums in major cities throughout the world containing 'highlights' of Elvis' career including a life-size reproduction of his Record Awards/Certifications. No artist/group can compete with Elvis' total and this would make a very impressive display.

(3) Major Film Biography of Elvis' life along the lines of 'Walk The Line' (Johnny Cash)

(4) Complete remake of 'Elvis On Tour' without 'windowbox' screens and state of the art sound.

(5) Complete sets of Elvis' recordings, and suitable books, to be supplied to major libraries.

(6) Antique Roadshow Experts to attend Elvis Fan Club Meets to give evaluations of fans 'Elvis' items. I suspect many fans have items they do not know the value thereof.

(7) Major Elvis Fan Publications to be 'on sale' at strategic newsagents.

(8) An Elvis Presley Appreciation Society founded in the U.S.A. with branches in each state and co-ordinated by EPE. In my opinion, and that of Ernst Jorgensen and others, the lack of such an organisation is one of the main reasons why Elvis' Legacy is not as strong as it could be there compared to other parts of the world.

(9) The Utimate Elvis Anthology to be released on or before 2015.

(10) The Graceland Grounds to be turned into a major museum containing themed interactive pavilions outlining Elvis' career in chronological detail together with it's own IMAX Theatre.

Brian :)

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:22 pm

Do you think videotape footage transferred to film would look good blown up to IMAX size?

Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:38 pm

Great ideas Brian!

The 68 Comeback in IMAX would be awesome! Although the audio would have to be remixed into stereo or surround sound and by doing that they would have to re-record it. But no problem there.

The idea for Graceland that you alluded to is probably as close to a vision of what Sillerman has in store for the overhaul.

CKX has the money to make all this stuff happen. Only time will tell how far advanced they go. But from the sounds of it, it looks like they're headed in the right direction. :D

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:03 pm

Hi elvisalic, your remarks just prove my point, you don't know what Elvis is , you go for the circus , miles away from the genuine deal.
btw , I'm not that old yet .

I have a difficulty seeing good things downgraded to zero.
It's like with Hollywood movies , just for the eye they change facts of history so it sells more.

What I suggest let the companies responsable, put money into the real things and we would see the true quality Elvis has.
They are just selling out....

It's called MARKETING and kids are just weak and follow.

Instead of buying a Elvis duck , demand a proper remastered CD..... or outakes , you want Elvis , not something where Elvis is printed on... don't you
If so , you don't really like Elvis but the brandname "Elvis"

Come on, think !

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:52 pm

Thekingstillrocks wrote:Hi elvisalic, your remarks just prove my point, you don't know what Elvis is , you go for the circus , miles away from the genuine deal.
btw , I'm not that old yet .

I have a difficulty seeing good things downgraded to zero.
It's like with Hollywood movies , just for the eye they change facts of history so it sells more.

What I suggest let the companies responsable, put money into the real things and we would see the true quality Elvis has.
They are just selling out....

It's called MARKETING and kids are just weak and follow.

Instead of buying a Elvis duck , demand a proper remastered CD..... or outakes , you want Elvis , not something where Elvis is printed on... don't you
If so , you don't really like Elvis but the brandname "Elvis"

Come on, think !

1. Elvis left a legacy and a large body of work, some of which he wasn't pleased with. Many of his private moments on film and audio that he never intended on being release publicly are out there being bootlegged by his so-called "fans" including his worst performances. So don't tell me who is or isn't showing the true Elvis. He was more than just for his generation. Just as The Beatles are more than just for their hippy fans who worshipped them in the 60's. The fact is, Elvis is an icon and because of that he's a marketing tool for money to be made off of. It was like that 50 years ago when he was alive and willbe like that 50 years from now in death.

2.What CDS has done is bring back the human that was Elvis Aron Presley while inserting the larger than life image that was him as well. Elvis himself said "the image is one thing and the human is another". Cirque, unlike those fat horrible impersonators out there today, is paying tribute to the man, the image and the music in a stylish way with VE. Maybe you're just used to mediocre attempts of showcasing the man and can't see it for what it truly is.

3.As much as I have criticized EPE for their poor business, they do NOT own the music nor the movies or outtakes to decide when and how they would be released. All they do is give their approval when asked for it. SONY has the music and like Brian said, there's a dying music market out there right now. So any remasters or releases that do come out are gonna be low budget and very little promo behind them, if any at all. The VE soundtrack will be a whole different story. They had to spend money to remix it and pay the musicians behind on the album, so they will have to spend million to push it in sales to make a profit.

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:55 pm

Elvis statues in every rail station in the world.

All believers to prostrate themselves 5 times a day in the direction of Memphis.

All shopping malls to play Presley music only

Every scrap of medical research to be stopped and all the money be spent raising Elvis from the dead.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:04 am

KiwiAlan wrote:Elvis statues in every rail station in the world.

All believers to prostrate themselves 5 times a day in the direction of Memphis.

All shopping malls to play Presley music only

Every scrap of medical research to be stopped and all the money be spent raising Elvis from the dead.

Now you're just being silly. Nobody is asking for anyting like that. Stop hijacking the thread. :x

Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:41 am

Christmas moved to 2 weeks later, renamed Presleymas.

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:10 am

elvisaholic... do you think you could make your signature any larger? It would make for much easier reading of your posts if you could shrink that thing...

Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:20 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Christmas moved to 2 weeks later, renamed Presleymas.

Now you're talking!

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:05 am

Here's an idea for SONY to celebrate the 75th that would blow Elvis fans away. Another box set with say 100 songs, mostly all hits we all have already about 50 times with improved sound for the 14th time. To make it interesting throw in a few obscure songs, preferably really bad ones that Elvis himself hated. They could do a cover of an overused picture and a book of worn out photos, nothing new etc. That would be something and would take very little effort.

Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:37 am

steve in SC wrote:Here's an idea for SONY to celebrate the 75th that would blow Elvis fans away. Another box set with say 100 songs, mostly all hits we all have already about 50 times with improved sound for the 14th time. To make it interesting throw in a few obscure songs, preferably really bad ones that Elvis himself hated. They could do a cover of an overused picture and a book of worn out photos, nothing new etc. That would be something and would take very little effort.

Good idea!

Follow it up with a single set version with 25 of the same songs a few weeks later!

Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:51 am

Brian Quinn wrote:With the CD market drying up and downloads in the ascendancy there is no future in Sony releasing 'Greatest Hits' packages unless remixed to today's standards. Modern technology has signalled the end of such traditional releases. The obvious way to go for making money is through 'live' shows of the type of 'Elvis In Concert' and 'Viva Elvis'. A laser 'Elvis In Concert' would be the logical development for the current touring show with younger musicians/singers providing the backing. In this way, 'Elvis' could perform from all eras of his career. It would also be an interesting concept for a video concert production along the lines of the recent BBC TV advertisement where Elvis sings and introduces other musicians'/singers as they back him.

Other ideas that are or could be developed:

(1) An IMAX production of the 1968 TV Special

(2) Interactive Elvis Museums in major cities throughout the world containing 'highlights' of Elvis' career including a life-size reproduction of his Record Awards/Certifications. No artist/group can compete with Elvis' total and this would make a very impressive display.

(3) Major Film Biography of Elvis' life along the lines of 'Walk The Line' (Johnny Cash)

(4) Complete remake of 'Elvis On Tour' without 'windowbox' screens and state of the art sound.

(5) Complete sets of Elvis' recordings, and suitable books, to be supplied to major libraries.

(6) Antique Roadshow Experts to attend Elvis Fan Club Meets to give evaluations of fans 'Elvis' items. I suspect many fans have items they do not know the value thereof.

(7) Major Elvis Fan Publications to be 'on sale' at strategic newsagents.

(8) An Elvis Presley Appreciation Society founded in the U.S.A. with branches in each state and co-ordinated by EPE. In my opinion, and that of Ernst Jorgensen and others, the lack of such an organisation is one of the main reasons why Elvis' Legacy is not as strong as it could be there compared to other parts of the world.

(9) The Utimate Elvis Anthology to be released on or before 2015.

(10) The Graceland Grounds to be turned into a major museum containing themed interactive pavilions outlining Elvis' career in chronological detail together with it's own IMAX Theatre.

Brian :)

I was thinking of what you posted the other day and was thinking that CKX should develop an Elvis-themed production company. That way they could produce their own dvd and movie projects without having to pay out rights to television and film companies to produce them. This was what Disney did and look how big they have gotten today.

Something like this could go a long way in CKX/EPE getting those lost concerts out to the public.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:07 am

Monique wrote:Hé, Thekingstillrocks...what is that about this "In Japan they have filmed 2 shows in 72 . remaster it and release it". It doesn't ring a bell, but it sounds interesting!

wasn't there a couple "aloha" rehearsals filmed at the end of 72 that the japanese filmed and it hasn't yet seen the light of day yet? maybe that's what he's talking about.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:59 am

My thoughts.
While most of this PR stuff does nothing for the dedicated fanatic, it may
bring about a general public type fan, who then decides to get curious
about Elvis' catalog to delve further than E1 and perhaps purchase
the "From Elvis in Memphis" legacy issue, and then were off to the races.

The fans concern:

I think we are blessed as far as audio goes, but the general selection
of video at Borders, or anywhere is sad. We do need a wider selection of real video of Elvis'
performances other than the movies.

Whatever happened to the Dorsey show project?
Where is the Berle shows on DVD?
A decent Sinatra 1960 special print?
Pied Piper?
"On tour"?
We need more video in the stores. Period.

Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:13 pm

steve in SC wrote:Here's an idea for SONY to celebrate the 75th that would blow Elvis fans away. Another box set with say 100 songs, mostly all hits we all have already about 50 times with improved sound for the 14th time. To make it interesting throw in a few obscure songs, preferably really bad ones that Elvis himself hated. They could do a cover of an overused picture and a book of worn out photos, nothing new etc. That would be something and would take very little effort.

You forgot 'charge an arm & a leg for it'................................