Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis guitar outshines Jackson's famous glove at auction

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:45 am

I guess this will put to rest any talk of Jackson memorabilia being worth more than Elvis or The Beatles now. :D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9B8GD600

Re: Elvis guitar outshines Jackson's famous glove at auction

Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:58 am

I'm not surprised the guitar Elvis played during his final Vegas performance brought in more than a glove Michael wore on one of his tours with his brothers. The last guitar Elvis ever played in Vegas holds a bit more significance than just another glove Michael wore on a Jackson tour.

BTW, the 15 time World Champion Lakers rule! :smt038

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:05 am

John B wrote:I'm not surprised the guitar Elvis played during his final Vegas performance brought in more than a glove Michael wore on one of his tours with his brothers. The last guitar Elvis ever played in Vegas holds a bit more significance than just another glove Michael wore on a Jackson tour.

BTW, the 15 time World Champion Lakers rule! :smt038

The glove was from MJ's prime and height of his career whereas the guitar was played at the end of Elvis' career. I could understand the guitar outselling the glove if it was from one of his early appearances on Ed Sullivan or something but not from the last part of his life when he wasn't the Elvis of old.

With how the media glorified MJ's death you would think the glove would have brought in more interest than it did. Which goes to show if his famous glove can't outdo a guitar by Elvis, his biggest rival, then his value won't be as high in the future as originally thought.

OFF TOPIC: I'm from Cleveland. That's why I have the Cavs logo in my avy.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:14 am

A guitar is worth more than a glove, period.
If it had been an Elvis glove vs. a Michael guitar I dare say the guitar would win.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:15 am

You're comparing THE LAST guitar Elvis ever played in Vegas, where more people saw him play than anywhere else in the world, against A glove (one of multiples) worn by Michael on a tour with his brothers. I think the guitar holds more historical significance. Actually I'm kind of impressed with the price that glove fetched.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:22 am

John B wrote:You're comparing THE LAST guitar Elvis ever played in Vegas, where more people saw him play than anywhere else in the world, against A glove (one of multiples) worn by Michael on a tour with his brothers. I think the guitar holds more historical significance. Actually I'm kind of impressed with the price that glove fetched.

Ask a young adult today. Which would they rather have, a sequined gloved worn by MJ in his prime on the historical Victory tour or a guitar played by Elvis in his last Vegas show, a year before he died? Nine times out of ten the answer wouldn't be for the guitar.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:30 am

Not just A guitar, it's THE last guitar Elvis played in THE place he's probably more associated with than anywhere else in the world, Vegas. The glove up for sale is one of multiples worn my Michael on a tour which was followed by numerous other tours. The more there are of something the less of value it is. There's only ONE last guitar played by Elvis in Vegas.

And the other point, I'd be willing to bet you if you took a look at who is doing the bidding on these, it isn't young people. The people shelling out the money for these items grew up with Elvis, not Michael.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:20 am

elvisallc, you are obsessed with proving that Elvis trumps over MJ, The Beatles or anyone else. Obsessed.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:28 am

IMETJB wrote:elvisallc, you are obsessed with proving that Elvis trumps over MJ, The Beatles or anyone else. Obsessed.

Oh buddy. I don't think you shoulda said that. he will now report you to the moderators like he did to me for speaking the thruth.

I hope all goes well.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:24 am

According to the auction:
This Martin D-28 model guitar (serial number 361827), was used by Elvis in his last Las Vegas stage performances at the Las Vegas Hilton from December 2-12, 1976. In January, 1977 Elvis presented this Model D-28 guitar to his bodyguard, Sam Thompson. The guitar features a blonde wood finish and exhibits some plastic residue on the back of the guitar body resulting from, what Elvis relayed to Thompson, a portion of the belt on his stage jumpsuit melting from the hot stage lights. Following Elvis’ death, Thompson sold the guitar in 1978 to The National Enquirer to fund his college education. The National Enquirer presented “The Elvis Guitar” to Cheryl Schmerr who won a national contest of over 60,000 entries in a well-publicized event hosted by the tabloid. The guitar, with original case, is accompanied by a notarized letter signed by Sam Thompson, along with a notarized copy of a letter from Elvis’ father, Vernon E. Presley, dated January 4, 1978, attesting that his son gave Thompson the Martin D-28 the previous year while at Graceland. Also comes with a color photograph of Elvis performing on stage with this guitar. Without question, one of the most significant guitars to ever reach the market and accompanied with exceptional provenance.

I'm not really aware of this guitar. I have no pictures I know of when he reputedly used this guitar. During the times specified I believed him to be using the D35 http://scottymoore.net/ep76d35.html which is due to be auctioned at the end of the month in Connecticut.

I checked Francesc's Elvis Concert site for photos and the only times that he might have used this guitar appears to be on the 11th and 12th of December.
11th
12th

The other times he is playing the D35 (the giveaway is the the binding on the neck and double/slanted bracing visible through the soundhole). Does anyone have any other photos of him from vegas on the dates specified playing this?

the 9th
10th

Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:48 pm

IMETJB wrote:elvisallc, you are obsessed with proving that Elvis trumps over MJ, The Beatles or anyone else. Obsessed.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:05 pm

I don't know about elvisallc being "obsessed" but I do think he is right on all counts. As Mr.Lennon once put it : "Before Elvis, there was NOTHING."

BTW, Happy (posthumous) Birthday John, who would've turned 69 on Friday.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:29 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

I don't know about elvisallc being "obsessed" but I do think he is right on all counts. As Mr.Lennon once put it : "Before Elvis, there was NOTHING."

Thank you! Someone sees the truth around here and not blinded by ignorance.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:32 pm

minkahed wrote:

Oh buddy. I don't think you shoulda said that. he will now report you to the moderators like he did to me for speaking the thruth.

I hope all goes well.

No, what he said was a personal opinion (wrong on all counts though) not a personal attack as you always do. I reported you for constant disruption and trolling. Keep it up and I'll do it again. Your choice.

Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:54 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:Image
According to the auction:
This Martin D-28 model guitar (serial number 361827), was used by Elvis in his last Las Vegas stage performances at the Las Vegas Hilton from December 2-12, 1976. In January, 1977 Elvis presented this Model D-28 guitar to his bodyguard, Sam Thompson. The guitar features a blonde wood finish and exhibits some plastic residue on the back of the guitar body resulting from, what Elvis relayed to Thompson, a portion of the belt on his stage jumpsuit melting from the hot stage lights. Following Elvis’ death, Thompson sold the guitar in 1978 to The National Enquirer to fund his college education. The National Enquirer presented “The Elvis Guitar” to Cheryl Schmerr who won a national contest of over 60,000 entries in a well-publicized event hosted by the tabloid. The guitar, with original case, is accompanied by a notarized letter signed by Sam Thompson, along with a notarized copy of a letter from Elvis’ father, Vernon E. Presley, dated January 4, 1978, attesting that his son gave Thompson the Martin D-28 the previous year while at Graceland. Also comes with a color photograph of Elvis performing on stage with this guitar. Without question, one of the most significant guitars to ever reach the market and accompanied with exceptional provenance.

I'm not really aware of this guitar. I have no pictures I know of when he reputedly used this guitar. During the times specified I believed him to be using the D35 http://scottymoore.net/ep76d35.html which is due to be auctioned at the end of the month in Connecticut.

I checked Francesc's Elvis Concert site for photos and the only times that he might have used this guitar appears to be on the 11th and 12th of December.
11th
12th

The other times he is playing the D35 (the giveaway is the the binding on the neck and double/slanted bracing visible through the soundhole). Does anyone have any other photos of him from vegas on the dates specified playing this?

the 9th
10th

Actually, looking at the pictures closer I believe that's the D35 on the 11th and possibly/probably the D28 on th 12th. Its not a great shot but there appears to be visible binding on the fretboard where it meets the spruce top and the grain of the top more closely resembles the D35. The 12th is a worse shot but the visible grain looks to be the D28.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:52 pm

There is more historical significance with Elvis' last guitar he played in Vegas than a Glove worn by Michael during the Victory Tour. For one, as pointed out one of many gloves worn during that tour. The guitar is only one. Not two or three but one. Also he played it at the Hilton in Las Vegas which his attendance record still stands to this day. No one has beat it yet and that includes Michael. Yea, MJ was a good performer but not better than Elvis. Anything that is from the final years of Elvis' career like Mexician Sundail suit, the last guitar he ever played, the rings he wore and so on would be worth more than anything of MJ. Why? Because Elvis was and is the bigger entertainer and always will be. Elvis is not a legend like MJ. Elvis is more. Would be considered as a GOD in music. Not the GOD but a god. MJ will never be there where Elvis is.

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:04 pm

"A bidder paid $106,200 for a Martin D-28 guitar played by Elvis Presley during his final Las Vegas peformance."
actually PLAYED???
..or virtually only held?

PS: I don't see the point in all these "Elvis vs MJ" stuff. We have our esteem/feelings/views regarding Elvis, - why compare with MJ. Leave him to HIS fans, I say.
I wouldn't care to own the jacket or trousers MJ wore in, say, the Thriller video/film even if it was THROWN at me for FREE. I'm just not interested. Doesn't mean I don't like some of his music (like, I think Bille Jean is totally awesome).

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:10 pm

elvisallc wrote:I guess this will put to rest any talk of Jackson memorabilia being worth more than Elvis or The Beatles now. :D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ggdttNcqL7E3DD_1G2TChKLFx9MwD9B8GD600

This is a revelation!

Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:46 pm

elvisallc wrote:I guess this will put to rest any talk of Jackson memorabilia being worth more than Elvis or The Beatles now. :D

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... wD9B8GD600

Yah!

Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:24 am

Not sure I understand what is going on? Some of you appear to want to stick it to elvisallc when ever you get or feel you have opportunity. The way I see it, elvisallc is a Elvis fan, not a MJ fan nor Beatle fan.
Good for him or her....I suspect that is why most of us are here anyway.... :wink:
On the other side of the coin, maybe this should have been expressed a different way, to satisfy all.
Would it have helped, coming from elvisallc?

Bottom line, it is great to see Elvis memorabilia doing so well, at auction's, still, to this day and in one way it is kinda neat to hear Jackson's memorabilia, has increased in value. Sadly, thank's to his premature death only.

PEP 8)

Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:30 am

PEP wrote:Not sure I understand what is going on? Some of you appear to want to stick it to elvisallc when ever you get or feel you have opportunity.

Not at all PEP - but a person's post is open to scrutiny just like anyone else on the forum. If a trend is developing that really is down to the content of a member's post, right? Have a browse, you might be surprised!

Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:28 am

elvisallc wrote:I guess this will put to rest any talk of Jackson memorabilia being worth more than Elvis or The Beatles now

Or not. - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34084928/ns ... ?GT1=43001

Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:50 am

Michael's glove pulled in over $350,000 ... Damn

Guess that just killed elvisallc's credentials.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:57 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

I can't really comment on someone's mental state if I only 'know' them thru an internet forum.

But I know I'm not 'obsessed' with proving Elvis was the greatest !

It's just that I get annoyed when others are claimed to be greater than he was based on flawed & inaccurate data !

Like the '750 million' record sales figure that was dreamed up for MJ once.

Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:30 am

It doesn't matter , a simple remark I once heard is Pop music begins with Elvis ........... You can't change that.
He made the path for black people to be heard, and what kinda music is now dominating the Tube ?

MJ was a talented guy and an Icon probably the last one, all others are made up.
Elvis and later MJ are role models for the new talented artists.

Other fact it took Elvis 22 years to achieve what Jackson did in 44 years ......... No, Elvis is KING OF MUSIC.