Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

My plan to upgrade my sound quality. Please help.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:11 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I'm looking to upgrade the sound of the essential Elvis boxsets.

To get started I can go a couple of ways.

I can get the 20 cd box set.

Or I can get these to get me started.

50 million fans ftd
Lost Album FTD
Hits from the 70s FTD
Fool FTD
Love Letters FTD
Country legacy
From Elvis in Memphis FTD
Pot Luck FTD
Elvis is back Legacy
Elvis Presley Legacy
Back in Memphis FTD

Any suggestions or changes?

Re: My plan to upgrade my sound quality. Please help.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm

If you can afford it then I would go for the Complete Elvis Presley Masters Box Set. All the 2007 remastered master recordings in one beautiful box set.
$500 at Popmarket: https://nl.popmarket.com/elvis-presley- ... s/25829668

Otherwise the Legacy Editions* are a good starting point. I would also recommend the following releases:

Elvis Presley 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight 4 Disc Box Set
Good Times (2009 Special Products release)
Elvis Now (2009 Special Products release)
From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee (2009 Special Products release)

All of the above use the latest remasters.

* http://www.popmarket.com/elvis-presley- ... s/26630634

Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:54 pm

daviddoelen wrote:If you can afford it then I would go for the Complete Elvis Presley Masters Box Set. All the 2007 remastered master recordings in one beautiful box set.
$500 at Popmarket: https://nl.popmarket.com/elvis-presley- ... s/25829668

Otherwise the Legacy Editions* are a good starting point. I would also recommend the following releases:

Elvis Presley 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight 4 Disc Box Set
Good Times (2009 Special Products release)
Elvis Now (2009 Special Products release)
From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee (2009 Special Products release)

All of the above use the latest remasters.

* http://www.popmarket.com/elvis-presley- ... s/26630634

I would love to get the complete boxset but I can't afford it. I'm counting on the sale at Elvis.com to get these. Last year if you ordered at midnight, it was 75 percent off. That's what I'm counting on.

thanks for the input.

I also thought maybe get the 20 cd and then suppliment it with FTDs where it hasn't been upgraded.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:05 pm

Bobc wrote:I would love to get the complete boxset but I can't afford it.

Most people can't. It's a lot of money!!!

Bobc wrote:I also thought maybe get the 20 cd

Poormanpeter gave a lot of information about this collection in your topic. It's a hodge-podge affair. I wouldn't buy it. But that's your decision :)

Bobc wrote:and then suppliment it with FTDs where it hasn't been upgraded.

You can't go wrong with the FTD classic albums series! Great sound and packaging!

Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 pm

daviddoelen wrote:
Bobc wrote:I would love to get the complete boxset but I can't afford it.

Most people can't. It's a lot of money!!!

Bobc wrote:I also thought maybe get the 20 cd

Poormanpeter gave a lot of information about this collection in your topic. It's a hodge-podge affair. I wouldn't buy it. But that's your decision :)

Bobc wrote:and then suppliment it with FTDs where it hasn't been upgraded.

You can't go wrong with the FTD classic albums series! Great sound and packaging!

I was kinda thinking the same thing about the 20 cd set. I keep going back and forth. I'm planning on getting alot of something on Black Friday, If the sales are like last years.

I need to do the math I guess and figure out just how many of the FTDs I can really get. Of course if the sale isn't like last year, I guess the 20 cd set isn't a bad option.

Why can't I just have it all? LOL. Accutally I mostly did in vinal, but I lost those in a fire. I even lost a sun Mystery Train 45 and double album bootleg of Elvis' last concert. Not to mention some of the shows I recorded myself.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:13 pm

I wouldn't get the Complete Masters if you have an interest in the 1970s, because IMO the Masters are often vastly inferior, with their syrup & strings, to takes found on the FTDs.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

King Volcano wrote:I wouldn't get the Complete Masters if you have an interest in the 1970s, because IMO the Masters are often vastly inferior, with their syrup & strings, to takes found on the FTDs.

That's very good to know.

Thanks.

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:47 pm

Bobc wrote:
King Volcano wrote:I wouldn't get the Complete Masters if you have an interest in the 1970s, because IMO the Masters are often vastly inferior, with their syrup & strings, to takes found on the FTDs.

That's very good to know.

Thanks.

If one is looking for a sound upgrade on masters, TCM is the box to go to. FTD is great of course, but if you are planning to buy all classic albums in order to own all masters it is more expensive in the end. À cheaper way would be to start collecting all Legacy releases.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:36 am

That's because of the overdubs applied by Felton Jarvis in the seventies. It has nothing to do with the mastering. The songs in their original mix have never sounded better in my opinion.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:48 am

daviddoelen wrote:

That's because of the overdubs applied by Felton Jarvis in the seventies. It has nothing to do with the mastering. The songs in their original mix have never sounded better in my opinion.

Eh? I know that.

A "Master" is the the Master Take. "The Complete Masters" set is called that because it contains The Complete Master Takes. Its title has nothing to do with mastering at all, & neither did my post :)

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:56 am

I misread your post. Sorry. You meant that you prefer the alternate takes to the master recordings with their countless overdubs. I thought you meant you didn't like the remastering on The Complete Elvis Presley Masters... It's getting late. Time for me to shut down the computer :wink:

I agree. Many 70's songs suffer from the overdubs applied by Fel-Tone.

Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:58 am

daviddoelen wrote:I misread your post. Sorry. You meant that you prefer the alternate takes to the master recordings with their countless overdubs. I thought you meant you didn't like the remastering on The Complete Elvis Presley Masters... It's getting late. Time for me to shut down the computer :wink:

I agree. Many 70's songs suffer from the overdubs applied by Fel-Tone.

It's OK man, sleep well, I'm knackered too!

Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:08 am

Bobc wrote:I need to do the math I guess and figure out just how many of the FTDs I can really get.

My advice would be to purchase the older FTD's because they will likely sell out/be deleted first. You can always buy the new FTD's at a later time.

Bobc wrote:Why can't I just have it all? LOL. Accutally I mostly did in vinal, but I lost those in a fire. I even lost a sun Mystery Train 45 and double album bootleg of Elvis' last concert. Not to mention some of the shows I recorded myself.

That is terrible. You can always replace the mainstream CD's without it costing too much money, but to aquire another original Sun Single will cost you a lot money. Losing the shows you recorded yourself is even worse! Elvis will not be performing again.

King Volcano wrote:It's OK man, sleep well, I'm knackered too!

Thank you. Good night!