Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ernst Jørgensen - 1986 Sessions Book To Be Re-issued

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Reconsider Baby: the Definitive ELVIS Sessionography 1954-1977: 1986 Reprint Edition, with Additions by Ernst Jorgensen, Erick Rasmussen & Johnny Mikkelson

Book description: The central focus of this book is the body of recordings made by Elvis Presley. This is the definitive book for those who really want to know the ins and outs of the music as recorded by Elvis. The book discusses all of the known and released Elvis Presley recordings, as well as many rare items. The authors have tracked down as much information as possible on each and every record and recording, and pieced it together in order to present a clear and detailed analysis of Elvis’ music.

This U.S. edition excludes a brief addendum on Elvis’ career which appeared in "Elvis Recording Sessions," in order to make room for an appendix containing additions and corrections to the sessionography. Photos. Reconsider Baby was a precuror to Ernst's Elvis Presley: A Life In Music.

Re: Ernst Jørgensen - 1986 Sessions Book To Be Re-issued

Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Little Darlin wrote:Reconsider Baby: the Definitive ELVIS Sessionography 1954-1977: 1986 Reprint Edition, with Additions by Ernst Jorgensen, Erick Rasmussen & Johnny Mikkelson

Book description: The central focus of this book is the body of recordings made by Elvis Presley. This is the definitive book for those who really want to know the ins and outs of the music as recorded by Elvis. The book discusses all of the known and released Elvis Presley recordings, as well as many rare items. The authors have tracked down as much information as possible on each and every record and recording, and pieced it together in order to present a clear and detailed analysis of Elvis’ music.

This U.S. edition excludes a brief addendum on Elvis’ career which appeared in "Elvis Recording Sessions," in order to make room for an appendix containing additions and corrections to the sessionography. Photos. Reconsider Baby was a precuror to Ernst's Elvis Presley: A Life In Music.

Little Darlin', Ernst has done a total of 3 sessions volumes.

The first one was very basic but had the basic information everyone wanted.
I still have mine with notes written in it.

The second one was very much expanded upon.
Interestingly enough a local book store here has several brand new editions still in stock.
Yes, they have new "Reconsider baby" books still in stock.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:29 pm

The first recording sessions by Ernst Jorgensen was the one with the withe cover and ends with april 1977 recordings; released in 1977.
The second recording session was a follow up with the red cover and included the CBS june 1977 sessions; released in 1977/78.
The third one was released in 1984 and was the basic for the hardcover edition Reconsider baby from 1986.

colonel snow

Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:09 pm

The first of Ernst's sessions books that I have is a magazine style, white cover one (more like a booklet) that covers years 1954-1974 (it ends with the March 20, 1974 Memphis concert recordings).

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:06 pm

colonel snow wrote:The first recording sessions by Ernst Jorgensen was the one with the withe cover and ends with april 1977 recordings; released in 1977.
The second recording session was a follow up with the red cover and included the CBS june 1977 sessions; released in 1977/78.
The third one was released in 1984 and was the basic for the hardcover edition Reconsider baby from 1986.

colonel snow

A few corrections regarding Ernst's session-based publications:

FIRST: Softbound, issued 1975, Denmark

SECOND: Softbound, white cover, completed July 1977, issued August 1977

THIRD: Softbound, red cover but same image as SECOND, added info, issued late 1977

FOURTH: Softbound, red cover, completed and issued 1984, Denmark (Had separate Index booklet, too)

FIFTH: Hardcover, issued 1985, straight copy on contents of 1984 book, included booklet text

SIXTH: Hardcover glossy, issued 1986, may have included post-1984 updates

SEVENTH: Hardcover with dust sleeve, issued 1998, expanded to included detailed and delightful narrative ... ESSENTIAL purchase

EIGHTH: Softcover edition of 1998 version, issued 2000, margin reduced on original pages to save money ... ESSENTIAL if one cannot find the hardcover edition

Given the above, the 2009 reissue must be the SIXTH, from 1986.

Enjoy! And thanks to those who helped.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:19 pm

the recording sessions book with the red cover is from 1977 and contains extra the june 1977 recordings; it was an extra updated edition released after the death of Elvis and is for the rest identical to the second version as printed before.

colonel snow

Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:25 pm

colonel snow wrote:the recording sessions book with the red cover is from 1977 and contains extra the june 1977 recordings; it was an extra updated edition released after the death of Elvis and is for the rest identical to the second version as printed before.

colonel snow

It must be a rare edition, as I've not seen one. Will revise my post, though.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:32 am

hm80ep can you post a scan of the first session book issued in 75.

And if anyone has the red "third" version we'll have them all.

May i suggest to send scans of the front and back cover with little info to this great site to help complete the database.Thank you. :wink:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~vnhouten/intro.html

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:45 am

Frenchie, I love your web site!

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:53 am

I hope this is the red version for you.
recordse.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:57 am

Great news!

I do hope it is a coprehensive upgrade as much as needed and possible, rather than just stuff at the end. It might as well be on a website at that rate. Lay it out and insert the corrections and adds where they need to be, that's what I'd like to see...

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:05 am

kevinstevenage wrote:I hope this is the red version for you.

Hey ... this is the one I borrowed from a friend (I did return it, honest).

I literally copied every single page of this book word for word in longhand, making a note of every matrix number and take.

This was my first introduction the world of what Elvis actually recorded in the studio rather than what RCA decided to do with what Elvis recorded in the studio.

A revelation.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:09 am

kevinstevenage wrote:I hope this is the red version for you.

Kevin, you rock!

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:51 am

Here's the cover of the 1975 version. Sorry for the pretty bad quality of the image. I don't have a scanner close at hand, so I took a picture of the cover with my camera.

Last edited by hm80ep on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:59 am

Dr , it is not my site but i love it too and want to contribute a little by sending scans when i found they are missing.The images you posted are from there i think (the image of the fourh edition is the actual scan of my book).

You can do it too and help the very nice guy behind this GREAT site.

kevinstevenage hm80ep thanks.(you know what to do now :wink:

::rocks

Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:35 pm

Good subject. I have a recording sessions booklet (24 pages) which pre dates 1975, I believe this probably dates from 1973 it's written by Johnny Mikkelson, Erick Rasmussen & Ernst Jørgensen (in that order) and is a product of the Danish fan club. The recording dates go to the June 1972 concert Madison Square Garden, and the booklet does touch upon the aborted Standing Room Only release. Interestingly it makes good reading as the authors have done some excellent work in compiling this early edition, but on some bits they were w-a-y w-a-y off, examples being - The authors write that "Tomorrow Night " is often place in a 63 session but they guess that it was more likely recorded around Jan-Feb 1965. And about "Blue River" they say "Blue River many considered to be from a Nashville 63 session is from a late summer of 65. Elvis is rumoured to have been in the Nashville studios in October 65." Moving onto the January 68 session and the six missing matrix numbers between WPA4 1800 Too Much Monkey Business and WPA4 U.S.Male they have the titles of seven tracks that were recorded at this session: Mississippi Flash, Baby Lets Play House, Jambalaya, Tiger By The tail, If I Promise, Remembering, and Woman Shy. Another song also recorded sometime during 1968 was "Love Gone" perhaps from this session to.

http://img337.imageshack.us/i/img200.jpg/

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:18 pm

garry100 wrote:Good subject. I have a recording sessions booklet (24 pages) which pre dates 1975, I believe this probably dates from 1973 it's written by Johnny Mikkelson, Erick Rasmussen & Ernst Jørgensen (in that order) and is a product of the Danish fan club. The recording dates go to the June 1972 concert Madison Square Garden, and the booklet does touch upon the aborted Standing Room Only release. Interestingly it makes good reading as the authors have done some excellent work in compiling this early edition, but on some bits they were w-a-y w-a-y off, examples being - The authors write that "Tomorrow Night " is often place in a 63 session but they guess that it was more likely recorded around Jan-Feb 1965. And about "Blue River" they say "Blue River many considered to be from a Nashville 63 session is from a late summer of 65. Elvis is rumoured to have been in the Nashville studios in October 65." Moving onto the January 68 session and the six missing matrix numbers between WPA4 1800 Too Much Monkey Business and WPA4 U.S.Male they have the titles of seven tracks that were recorded at this session: Mississippi Flash, Baby Lets Play House, Jambalaya, Tiger By The tail, If I Promise, Remembering, and Woman Shy. Another song also recorded sometime during 1968 was "Love Gone" perhaps from this session to.

http://img337.imageshack.us/i/img200.jpg/

In the 70's the authors have followed the matrix numbers assigned by RCA to locate a recording date; in some cases it was the wrong way.

These titles from jan. 1968 sessions were recorded for the new LP Winter in a long hot summer as announced in august 1968 with some more song titles like
Woman shy - Love is gone etc. In RCA recording files nothing is found about these recordings and besides it should be cancelled in favor of the coming NBC TV Special. And the Colonel never gives recording information before it was really recorded so these "ghost" recordings were perhaps intentions to record.

colonel snow

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:41 pm

hm80ep wrote:Here's the cover of the 1975 version. Sorry for the pretty bad quality of the image. I don't have a scanner close at hand, so I took a picture of the cover with my camera.

New to my eyes! THANKS!

Post edited again...

Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
hm80ep wrote:Here's the cover of the 1975 version. Sorry for the pretty bad quality of the image. I don't have a scanner close at hand, so I took a picture of the cover with my camera.

New to my eyes! THANKS!

Post edited again...

You're very welcome.

Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:41 pm

Do you have more to share?

Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:09 pm

Interestingly, some of the songs rumoured to have been recorded in 1968 are Jerry Reed compositions. Jerry recorded -

Woman Shy. TWA4-1053. Recorded 1-7-66, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Unbelievable Guitar And Voice Of Jerry Reed. RCA LSP-3756

If I promise. TWA4-1332. Recorded 9-9-66, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Unbelievable Guitar And Voice Of Jerry Reed. RCA LSP-3756.

Tupelo Mississippi Flash. UWA4-2741. Recorded 1-9-67, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Nashville Underground. RCA LSP-3978.

Remembering. WWA4-1741. Recorded 8-1-68, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Nashville Underground. RCA LSP-3978. (Unreleased version - UWA4-2740, recorded 1-9-67).

Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Steve wrote:Interestingly, some of the songs rumoured to have been recorded in 1968 are Jerry Reed compositions. Jerry recorded -

Woman Shy. TWA4-1053. Recorded 1-7-66, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Unbelievable Guitar And Voice Of Jerry Reed. RCA LSP-3756

If I promise. TWA4-1332. Recorded 9-9-66, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Unbelievable Guitar And Voice Of Jerry Reed. RCA LSP-3756.

Tupelo Mississippi Flash. UWA4-2741. Recorded 1-9-67, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Nashville Underground. RCA LSP-3978.

Remembering. WWA4-1741. Recorded 8-1-68, RCA B, Nashville. Album - Nashville Underground. RCA LSP-3978. (Unreleased version - UWA4-2740, recorded 1-9-67).

Great info!!

It's doubtful any of these were taped, but they might have been discussed between Elvis and Jerry when the paucity of material at the January 1968 session compelled Presley to reach out.

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:14 am

UPDATE:

The book is not being re-published.

The company is simply selling some old stock of the book - about 25 copies.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:56 pm

Anyone knows which edition is being currently put on sale?

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:06 pm

Has anyone noticed in Ger's photos (in the fantastic ELVIS ECHOES FROM THE VAULTS thread) that Ernst had brought a copy of the 1986 hardback edition with him for the Indianapolis tape search? Cool!!! :D

(You can see this in the second photo - it's on the coffee table in front of him...)

I have a copy of this book, and even pre-tapes search you can't help but be impressed by the content. Of course, the picture became much bigger within five years...
Last edited by Mark Nicholson on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.