Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon May 05, 2003 6:14 pm

The album was originally issued in Germany, with a gatefold sleeve, and a foldout poster:

Mon May 05, 2003 8:49 pm

Based on that picture, I'd say it actually says "My sincere thanks, Elvis Presley."

Mon May 05, 2003 11:34 pm

see-see-rider wrote:01. From Elvis In Memphis
Simply his best. Full of soul and passion, great material, a great prodcution, his first adult album. What can one say about this one? It's perfect.

02. Elvis Is Back!
One of the best rock albums ever. In 1960 when "classic" rock'n'roll was dead this must have been visionary. Unforntunately nobody bought it (compared to G.I. Blues, that is).

03. Elvis Presley
Another great rock album and probably THE debut album of a rock star next to Jimi Hendrix' "Are You Experienced?". The Clash covered the cover for their album "Londin Calling". This album has everything it needed to make a star in 1956.

04. I'm 10.000 Years Old - Elvis Country
Another great work by Presley that's more or less unknown to the public. The fact that this one's been outsold by budget crap many times and needed 6 years to be certified gold is a shame. Some of the best country music around can be found on this album.

05. How Great Thou Art
After years of disappointments the guy sits down, choses songs for weeks, produces an album almost on his own and wins his first Grammy. Some of the best spiritual music a "white" singer has ever recorded. Deep and full of emotions.

06. Back In Memphis
Almost a "forgotten" album. A little incoherent compared to FEIM it nonetheless feat. some of his finest music, like "Stranger In My Own Home Town", "Without Love", "You'll Think Of Me" and "The Fair's Moving On".

07. His Hand In Mine
If you remember that this one was recorded by the 25 years old pop idol and King of Rock'n'Roll, Elvis Presley, it's even more unbelievable what he did here. His singing is definitely not from this world ...

08. ELVIS - That's The Way It Is
The mixes seem a little dated today and the overdubbing of an audience over the studio version of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" was a bad joke by the "king of overdubbing", Felton Jarvis. Still this album features some of his best adult material offering mature feelings of a grown up superstar at the peak of his career. "I Just Can't Help Believin'" is probably one of the finest openers on an Elvis album and one of his best recordings of the 70ies.

09. Promised Land
The best post-Nashville album IMO. Okay, there're some fillers on this one like the dreadful "Mr Songman" (what was this supposed to be?), "Love Song Of The Year" and "Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming" of which author Paul Simpson wrote that "even the combined talent of Roy Hamilton, Clyde McPhatter and Mario Lanza couldn't bring it to life". But the rest is more or less superb, from the rocking title tune over great (country) ballads like "Honky Tonk Angel" and "It's Midnight", the wonderful gospel of "Help Me" to the uptempo numbers "You Asked Me To" and "Thinking About You", Elvis seems at ease with the material and his situation in late 1973 ...

10. Moody Blue / From Elvis Presley Blvd. Memphis, Tennessee
Better than their reputation these two albums offer the grand goodbye of the most influential musician of the 20th century. Other than the rumors might want to believe us Elvis still has the passion and power(!) to sing and to express himself via his music. These songs are full of pain, fear but also courage that is still there from time to time. Both albums could easily have been great if their soul would not have been buried under a ton of kitschy overdubbs. Thanks to Jarvis once again.

great list

A PORTRAIT IN MUSIC

Tue May 06, 2003 1:29 am

recalling that LP, it actually held some potential at the time! Nice cover and a good songlist! Still, today, it just happened!

my 10

Tue May 06, 2003 2:47 am

1.from elvis in memphis
2.elvis is back
3.the sun sessions
4.comeback t.v.
5.how great thou art
6.thats the way it is
7.loveing you
8.today
9.elvis country
10.elvis gold records vol.1

Tue May 06, 2003 4:43 pm

psk wrote:great list

Thanks, buddy ...! 8)

Tue May 06, 2003 5:22 pm

Discounting various greatest hits collections and using only original albums here's my top 10: 1.) From Elvis In Memphis 2.) Elvis Is Back! 3.) Elvis Country (my personal favorite) 4.) Elvis Presley 5.) Elvis (2cnd album) 6.) On Stage Feb. 1970 7.) That's The Way It Is (original lp) 8.) Elvis In Person 9.) Elvis TV special (the 68 comeback lp) 10.) He Touched Me. Taking the liberty to extend the list to 15 selections I would add: 11.) Loving You 12.) King Creole 13.) His Hand In Mine 14.) How Great Thou Art 15.) Elvis' Christmas Album (1957 original). We could certainly debate over the rank order, but I think this list would constitute the "classic" canon of original albums.