earlier today... Before the end of this year, MJ will
have taken over the all time bestselling artist spot
from Elvis, with The Beatles still at # 2. Their
upcoming mono / stereo sets are exspected to sell
many millions of copies. And with no big sales for
Elvis product ( it's gettin' less and less....) he
will drop to 3rd place. End of an era. He held the
# 1 spot for a long, long time.... But all good things
come to an end. Worse things happen in life.

Re: Elvis to lose the # 1 spot forever...

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:02 pm

They only count official releases though! think of all the bootlegs Elvis has and still sells!! :wink:

Could ANY other artist sell CD's of themselves warbling a "umba dumba dumba" bass line whilst a diamonds record is playing in the background?

Or a box set of dialogue from between takes of a songs at a rehearsal??? With NO actual performances?

Probably not.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:12 pm

I do not really care if Elvis was #10. He would still be my #1 favorite artist. I guess he will lose some fans that for some reason the #s are sooo important! :lol: PS. Just kidding.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Ok,but Elvis could sing ALL TYPES of music,and he was a very generous caring man,he cared a lot about every-day people. I think this is very evident in EOT-Through My Eyes. Everything he did was not great,but the majority of it was. It is sad the way Michael Jackson died to,I do like his Jackson 5 recordings. I don't care what the statistics say,ELVIS WAS AND IS THE BEST! He will never ever be equaled. Rock and Roll,Gospel,Country,blues,even what is called contemporary-like Neil Diamond. Who ELSE can do AN AMERICAN TROLGY or AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL like Elvis? Answer-No one.Elvis is time-less. I hope the soundboards like Blazing Into The Darkness and Elvis At Full Blast will be copied and passed on to people 200 years from now. These recordings must not be allowed to oxidize,and become unplayable! He is just as important as Beethoven.
Glen
Glen

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:34 pm

tcb1 wrote:A bit of a ramble but basically each artist are No. 1 in there fans eyes and lets face it there are a great number of Legends in the music industry and Legends they will stay.

Exactly!

The world is poorer to have lost Elvis, half the Beatles and Michael Jackson.

I can't get over the last death and the many striking similarities to the death of EP. It's totally crushing.

I really don't care if Elvis loses the top spot to Michael Jackson or The Beatles. It's hardly an injustice, is it?

Ignoring the many variables, one could also say that Elvis has always had a 30-year head-start over Michael Jackson, and when Elvis passed away, he attained mythical status, dramatically boosting his record sales. Now the final penny has fallen into the slot and Michael Jackson can begin catching up. It's such a perverse turn of events, though. I wish both men were still among us.

Nevertheless, I think Ger could be right: "end of an era". It's worth stopping to reflect on. Nothing will ever change my love of Elvis, even if he was forgotten by every last soul on Earth. You're talking about a person who could sing "Harbor Lights", "King Creole", "The Girl Of My Best Friend", "How Great Thou Art", "Long Black Limousine", "Burning Love" and "Danny Boy" and make it all sound so good. Forever and always, the most charming, the most intoxicating, the most befuddling voice ever.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:50 pm

tcb1 wrote:Well we all know how accurate sales figures are for any artist, Elvis they are always knocked down, and anyone else they are mostly overly numbered to make them look better, its just a shame these is no real guide lines to show the true percentages.

Maybe one day a proper audit will be done, but then again maybe not as it will take away all the bitching between various fan bases.

For most Elvis fans he will always be No. 1 just like Buddy Holly fans probably rate him as No. 1 for all his achievements in such a short time as they say imagine had he lived, but his records sales will never be able to compete with most, it doesn’t detract from his musical legacy.

As for Michael, his musical legacy will also be ranked as one of the best in the world, there is no disputing that fact (I’m no Jackson Fan) but can admire his musical talents but can he be classed along side Elvis? No not really as it is two separate time periods, and marketing for every generation changes

Best of the early 50’s you have Sinatra, Como and the likes
Best of the mid-late 50’s you have Elvis, Buddy Holly Little Richard, The Platters and the list goes on.
Best of the early 60’s you still have Elvis, Ricky Nelson, Roy Orbison ect..
Best of the mid 60’s Elvis still there just, but the Beatles, Stones, Beach Boys, even the Monkeys
Best of the late 60’s the Beatles are still clinging in there but flower power seems to be all the rage and the likes of Bob Dylan (who can write a great song but then rip it to shreds by singing it)
The 70’s saw Heavy Metal & The Osmond’s, The Jackson’s, Queen & ABBA, followed by Punk Rockers (oh my God)
Elvis at this time was doing big things but greatly un-noticed by the rest of the world musically.
The 80’s saw Michael come into his own, with the pop video & the gender benders or new romantics as they liked to be called

Meanwhile Elvis was just a joke to the world but still sold albums in the thousands as did many of the past talents each having success here and there, the likes of Elton John had a couple good spells in the charts as did Queen, Live Aid came and went, by the 90’s and the millennium Elvis had a little revival too, and still gets a good outing from time to time but as Ernst says he’s now just a back catalogue artist, that brings in a steady income for the record company.

Jackson will be the same after the rush is over and the re-issues & lost recordings that will surface over the coming years he too will follow into the fate of just a back catalogue artist, unless like the Beatles & Elvis the Collectors Box sets start coming out, but again Michaels will no doubt out shine the Beatles & Elvis, purely on the amount of video footage available.

A bit of a ramble but basically each artist are No. 1 in there fans eyes and lets face it there are a great number of Legends in the music industry and Legends they will stay.

Well stated tcb1. With all the unaccounted for record sales during and after Elvis' lifetime I can't imagine how anyone could come close to his worldwide record sales. But I certainly don't claim to have those facts. Like you say with the popularity of MJ I guess it's safe to assume that he will be #1 at some point if he isn't already. Still, there never was and never will be another Elvis Presley. Long live The King of Rock N Roll.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:54 pm

Absolute nonsense. Elvis is The greatest record seller of All-Time by far. He will have two massive selling album releases next year (1) The Cirque Du Soleil 'Elvis' Show and (2) 'Elvis Duets'. Do not believe everything put out by the media.

Brian :roll:

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:05 pm

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Picked up from a conversation on BBC 1 television
earlier today... Before the end of this year, MJ will
have taken over the all time bestselling artist spot
from Elvis, with The Beatles still at # 2. Their
upcoming mono / stereo sets are exspected to sell
many millions of copies. And with no big sales for
Elvis product ( it's gettin' less and less....) he
will drop to 3rd place. End of an era. He held the
# 1 spot for a long, long time.... But all good things
come to an end. Worse things happen in life.

But where do their figures come from ?

If Sony/RCA aren't sure of his sales, how can anyone else be ?

I remember that Channel 4 TV show about the biggest-selling UK singles artists where Elvis came 3rd.

Some guys on here did a bit of investigating & discovered that Elvis' label had not even been approached to provide any sales figures !

And the company that made the show didn't respond to attempts to find out where they got their figures from..........

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Hello,

French media brought up 750 millions albums sold for MJ, quoting "he is the all time bestselling artist"

Do you know where this come from?

Before his death none of the french media ever talked about that figure and were always referring to Elvis and The Beatles as being the biggest sellers ever.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Elvis record sales directly after his death,total mess up

MJ will get his sales after his passing acurately recorded 300,000 as of today

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Tallhair 2 don't believe everything you hear - the media will say all sorts of things about Michael Jackson over the next few weeks. It is of course possible that his records will eventually outsell Elvis and The Beatles worldwide but it hasn't happened yet and there is still a long way to go!
Gotta agree with Brian and ColinB on this. Maybe if the MJ sales exceed another 500,000,000 he will be getting close.

Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:36 pm

Yeah, this hype. Jackson only has seven or eight solo LPs counting his Motown LPs and now he has a couple greatest hits. There is simply no way that these releases have averaged 75 million plus a pop. It's unthinkable especially as the only Jackson release with more than 10 million stateside I believe is Thriller. Some like Invincible barely made the million mark in the US. Even if Invincible sold well around the world, as it did do, there's no way it could meet that type of average especially with plummeting physical sales across the industry.

This is not a slight on Jackson but I seriously doubt if any release ever sold 75 million copies worldwide. Thriller is at I believe 20 million certified US, a greatly impressive number, however even if you triple that worldwide it's still only 600 million.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

I agree, the 750million record sales by Jackson is about as accurate as George Bush doing a really good job as US President. :roll:

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:17 am

Yvosus wrote:Hello,

French media brought up 750 millions albums sold for MJ, quoting "he is the all time bestselling artist"

Do you know where this come from?

Before his death none of the french media ever talked about that figure and were always referring to Elvis and The Beatles as being the biggest sellers ever.

Totally agree. The same thing happens here in Spain too. When Sinatra died there were claims of him being the greatest and the best selling artist ever; the same is happening now with MJ. The media are always thirsty of new icons to dethrone the older ones, especially in the case of Elvis. Also, the sensationalism and lack of rigor when not the total ignorance are very usual at the media.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:24 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Before the end of this year, MJ will have taken over the all time bestselling artist spot from Elvis, with The Beatles still at # 2.

I still like Elvis, even if no one else does.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:38 am

The 750,000 data originated from a Sony presee release.

As imaginitive as RCA press releases.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:51 am

TALLHAIR 2 wrote:Picked up from a conversation on BBC 1 television earlier today... Before the end of this year, MJ will have taken over the all time bestselling artist spot from Elvis, with The Beatles still at # 2.

You sure are mercurial.

You lament Presley's fading sales achievements here, while a search of your other posts reveals how you no longer care about Elvis and prefer listening to the Beatles, et. al.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:55 am

Isn't Garth Brooks way ahead of Elvis, too? And Abba? And Slim Whitman? What gives?

Steve Lecher

Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:40 am

stevelecher wrote:Isn't Garth Brooks way ahead of Elvis, too? And Abba? And Slim Whitman? What gives?

Steve Lecher

Not forgetting Roger Whittaker...

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:15 am

and KISS

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:26 am

stevelecher wrote:Isn't Garth Brooks way ahead of Elvis, too? And Abba? And Slim Whitman? What gives?

Steve Lecher

no

Garth Brooks is only 9 million ahead and that is according to the RIAA counting methods, rules and certifications for album sales in the U.S.
Elvis would be way ahead if the RIAA would propertly count his album sales and not shortchange him still he will probably overtake Garth Brooks eventually regardless of this.

Taking into account worldwide sales Garth Brooks is hardly know outside the U.S.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:40 am

Reading a thread like this gets my blood boiling. Why do I put myself through the torture. I find it hard to believe that Michael or anyone else for the matter will ever pass Elvis. If it happens I hope I'm dead and gone....According to my calculations from Wikipedia I have added up 228 million records sold worldwide. Though they do state on there he has sold 750 million worldwide. I'd like to know which one is more accurate.

20 million Off The Wall
109 million Thriller
30 million Bad
32 million Dangerous
20 million History
6 million History In The Mix
10 million Invincible
1 million Thriller 25

I think his record company needs to back their claims up, just like Garth Brooks needs to as well......
Last edited by First In Line on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:18 am

Imagine being around 400 million in debt?

Now that is something,can you comprehend how hellish that would be?

No wonder he was hiding money in black bags under his floor

Did you also know that Michael Jackson has bequeathed up to 200 original songs to his three children

Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:28 am

Jackson has sold around 60,000 million records in the US according to the RIAA. So that would mean Jackson would have to sale over 57,000,000 to catch Elvis in one year. I don't think so. Elvis has a total of 119,000,000, and we all know that number is very low and all of his sales plus singles are not counted. Jackson will not pass Elvis in sales, and Elvis is already #2 behind the Beatles. Take a chill pill and calm down. The true "king" of record sales is not going to be touched by anyone, anytime soon. However someday maybe because there will be more people and more ways to buy or access music.Elvis will remain always at the top.

Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:08 am

Stupot:

Very cute. Thanks.....

Steve Lecher